ME
Years ago

Late NBA start to hamper Olympic basketball

The NBA is looking at starting January 1, which is bad news for Olympic basketball, with the Olympics starting July 23. Chances are the season wont be done until September.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/american-sports/nba/basketball-a-delayed-20202021-nba-season-could-impact-olympic-participation-for-australias-americanbased-stars/news-story/89535e85ce8696a066d34b09e8bbf9d7

Topic #47654 | Report this topic

Cornholio  
Years ago

The NBA draft now moved from mid October to mid November.

Reply #817744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on the last World cup the yanks just don't want to be embarrassed again so this is the perfect excuse as to why they will loose again!

Reply #817748 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

USA had like 30 players withdraw from the World Cup.

Reply #817750 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I think they will start late and try and finish around the normal time, so maybe it will be ok. I really think they will attempt to get back to all things normal schedule and timing wise for 2021/22 season.

It does mean that some players will pull out, particularly players who have gone deep into the playoffs this season and next season.

Reply #817754 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well he's saying he wants a normal 82 game season and play offs, so not sure how he would finish all that early.

And it wont just be USA that is hit. This would likely see no NBA players at the Olympics whatsoever.

Reply #817757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ the poster claiming this gives the US an excuse for them possibly losing...

This screws the AUS team far far worse. We lose our top 7-10 players

Reply #817762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

postpone season for 1 month?

Reply #817763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nba surely can't be this stupid, got to be 60 guys playing for national teams in nba that would be at the Olympics.

Reply #817765 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"@ the poster claiming this gives the US an excuse for them possibly losing...

This screws the AUS team far far worse. We lose our top 7-10 players"

Yep, it screws world basketball as a whole. As for Australia we go from a medal favourite to a team struggling to make it out of the pool if we lose our NBA guys. Who are we gonna have at point, Mitch Norton?

"Nba surely can't be this stupid, got to be 60 guys playing for national teams in nba that would be at the Olympics."

But is it necessarily stupid on their part?

Reply #817766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of these guys wont be capable in 2024, it's 21 Tokyo or never again.

Reply #817768 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Mills and Ingles will be around 35, and Baynes. So it's not entirely out of the realms of possibility, but we'd be relying on a new core that is coming up that may or may not have the same burning desire to represent their country. We've already seen the kind of regard Simmons and Bolden hold the jersey in. If this move by the NBA continues unimpeded, they may be screwing us out of our last shot at a medal for a long time.

Reply #817770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

America is in a total covid mess, I'm not certain anything can be predicted to far in advance at present, even the nba. Nothing is certain in this covid world, Olympics or nba.

Reply #817773 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

"NBA surely can't be this stupid" ... why is it stupid?

The NBA is a private competition run for profit. It wouldn’t give a stuff about the rest of the world and competitions it sees as unimportant or inferior, although of course it will use any chance it gets to show it’s superior.

And we’ve seen enough times in the past the pressure NBA clubs have put on their players to bypass international commitments.

Reply #817774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA have never cared or consulted FIBA for international competition. NBA could be in a bubble again.

It's not out of realm that Olympics in 2021 will still go ahead if no vaccine is found. No way Japan opening borders to the world.

Reply #817786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

765, how exactly does that make the NBA stupid?

Reply #817807 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I'm hoping they shorten the season to align with the Olympics and also so the following season can run on time. But, there's a lot of water to go under the bridge between now and January. there's just no way of knowing what is going to happen. What I will say, though, is I am surprised there hasn't been more talk around the subject among the basketball media.

Reply #817812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"NBA have never cared or consulted FIBA for international competition."

The NBA is on the FIBA Executive, the two orgs work very closely together around international events and calendars.

Reply #817822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

assumes there is an olympics in 2021

Reply #817834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on what NBA insiders like Woj have been saying, it's clear there will be no bubble or shortened season next year. There is a strong push to get back to normalcy by both the NBA and players union after this strange and exhausting season.

As for the Olympics...they might schedule a break in the middle of the season to allow players to go and compete similar to what the NHL does but it's possible players still might opt out.

Reply #817835 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

It surprises me that the usual talking heads in Australian basketball have been silent on this. An NBA lockdown over the Olympics would literally destroy the Boomers prospects and rob us of our best ever team, yet no one is talking about it. It just seems really odd to me.

Reply #817948 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754