D2.0
Years ago

non-NBA Boomers for Tokyo

So, assuming we have access only to NBL & Europe, and that we want this team to be as successful as possible, what does the squad look like?

Bogut / Magnay
Landale / Kay
Creek / Adel / Cooks
Cotton / Goulding /McCarron
Sobey? / Bruce?? /

As people have said in other threads, finding an Olympic level PG is the toughest ask, but I think we have to stick with guys that actually play the role.

I suppose the only slightly good news is that (fingers crossed) we get an NBL season to see how most of these guys are going, and maybe there's a surprise packet in there.

Topic #47692 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce?? Wtf.

Reply #819109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mccarron / Sobey
Cotton / Goulding
Creek / Adel / Broekhoff
Kay / Motum / Cooks
Reath / Humphries

I don't think we will see Landale or Magnay.
Broekhoff I think will come home
Bolden also a shot under a goorjan or weaver

Reply #819111 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bruce?! As has been replied, surely McCarron is in the PG mix if we're ruling out the NBA options.

Reply #819113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron, Cadee
Goulding, Sobey
Creek, Moller
Kay, Cooks
Bogut, Brandt

Very versatile squad with two tough five men.

Reply #819117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

117, lol

Cadee a backup for brisbane
Moller a backup for Sydney
Brandt playing in japanese league which is below the nbl.

Reply #819118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Josh Giddey as the 12th man

Reply #819124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a bloody weak squad

Reply #819126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need Cadee in there

Reply #819127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As waterboy.

Reply #819129 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

as I said, "Bruce??", "??" as in we are bloody short of local PG talent.
could just as easily said "Norton???"

Its all very well to keep saying that McCarron can play PG, and as I said hopefully we get some kind of NBL season and maybe Vicko plays him there all season and he rips it up.

Heck, at this point I'd be tempted to ask Damo to come out of retirement.

Up front, its not necessarily a world-beater, but at least we potentially have a few options.
But a lot hinges on getting guys like Kay and Landale back

Reply #819135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be huge if Broekhoff is available.

Reply #819139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The bigger story is that Ingles, Baynes and Mills (and possibly Bogut and Dellavedova) boomers careers could be over.

Reply #819147 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

You've got to go at some point but I dare say all of those guys bar Bogut will play on to the 2023 WC.

Reply #819149 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"You've got to go at some point but I dare say all of those guys bar Bogut will play on to the 2023 WC.

"

Mills and Ingles have said in an article recently they're eyeing 2024 Olympics. I'd expect to see Mills, Ingles, Baynes, Delly, Broekhoff, all go around to 2024 and be added (hopefully) by Simmons, Josh Green, Josh Giddey, Exum, Maker, Bolden, Bryce Cotton etc by then.

-

As for a potential non-NBA team

Bryce Cotton
Chris Goulding
Ryan Broekhoff (If not available Todd Blanchfield but have him on bench)
Brock Motum
Jock Landale (Duop Reath if not available)
Nathan Sobey
Deng Adel
Mitch Creek
Nick Kay
Andrew Bogut (Angus Brandt if retired)
Mitch McCarron
Xavier Cooks

I think that 'mostly' reads like a very good team but the lack of point guards remains a glaring issue. If Dellavedova leaves the NBA that helps a lot to plug that hole, of just having an adequate floor general. I don't buy Sobey or McCarron as being that, so in leiu of that in the team you'd want something of a 'point guard by committee' situation with this team.

Reply #819158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bigs - Bogut, Kay, Landale, Motum, Magnay, Brandt
Wings - Broekhoff, Goulding, Cooks, Creek, Adel
Guards - Cotton, McCarron, Sobey, Norton, Cadee

That's a good squad of 16 to choose from. There is probably a couple I've forgotten too.

Reply #819159 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Being that point guard is our weakest spot, I don't see much harm in maybe throwing a Josh Giddey at the end of the bench. If you have to start looking at McCarrons or Cadees to fill that spot, why not look at a kid with NBA wraps who genuinely should be on the next Olympic team?

Of course I do believe in the "win now" idea, but I'd be watching Giddey over his first season to see if he can make that leap.

Reply #819161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That team being outlined will get smashed by the European teams.

Reply #819170 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I think you might have a slightly inflated view of the European teams. yes, they're very good. But they're good because they have synergy and play well together. Save for some stars who could be playing NBA, of course, (of which we have our own), their leagues are full of imports and don't have import restrictions. That means they are likely to have positions they're weak in when you take our their NBA contingent. I am not going to declare that we waltz to a medal but I also don't think we're walking in getting smashed by everyone. It's not just about the players but how you use them, and the Boomers have always been bigger than the sum of their parts.

Reply #819172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... as the USA, for eg., weren't!

Reply #819183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is duop not available?

Reply #819192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale is nba bound.

Reply #819194 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Is there a reasonable change Delly is back here for next season? Or even if he is in Europe, there is a very very good chance on him not being in the NBA and therefore available. Broekhoff in a similar boat, but I would back him in to earn a contract again somewhere next year in the NBA. He is too good of a shooter for someone not to take a punt on.

In the absolute ideal scenario I would have:

Bogut
Landale
Broekhoff
Cotton
Delly

Brandt
Motum
Kay
Goulding
McCarron
Sobey
Creek

We say this team sucks but you have 5 or so players who are fringe NBA level and then the depth isn't half bad. Its not much different to some of the squads we were churning out in the 00's really. With a favourable draw there is no reason we cannot make semi's.

Reply #819213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath over Brandt easy these days.

Reply #819214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath is a bench player in Serbia, at this early stage not doing a great deal, let's hope the euro leagues can continue and the nbl has a good run at it so we can make selections on form and not who players who have big reputations.

Reply #819218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

218, you need to do ya reasearch.

Reply #819219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandt is playing in b league, it doesn't compare to euroleague.

Reply #819220 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Brandt is playing in b league, it doesn't compare to euroleague"

Brandt didnt suddenly become a bad player just because he plays in Japan now. Josh Childress played in Japan before Australia. Plenty of very good players drop in there these days. There is money over there.

Reply #819221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't say he was a bad player, just said that Reath has overtaken him talent wise.

Reply #819222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath is bigger, more athletic, quicker on his feet and has a perimeter game.
He's also 7 years younger than Brandt with upward Trent on career whilst Brandt’s stock is sliding.

Reply #819223 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I like Brandt, and did originally think of him, but it will come down to balance and availability.
The challenge he faces is that even without NBA talent, many Euro teams will still bring out legitimately big Centres.
I though Landale was very good at the WC. If he goes to the NBA, then that's another major dent.

Reply #819231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnay probably gone too.

Reply #819232 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

With Damo retired, who's our best defensive Aussie guard?

Reply #819234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mccarron, Dech?

Reply #819235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say cadee

Reply #819258 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

^I thought you didn't want the job Andre?

Reply #819265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton would have to be a starter if he gets citizenship in time would be the only world class playmaker we have that can score

Reply #819270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course he would be.

Reply #819272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut
Kay
Broekhoff
McCarron
Cotton

That's a bloody good starting five at both ends of the floor.

Reply #819273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think Adel would start over Broekhoff.

Reply #819275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way brokehoff can shoot to remember

Reply #819276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adel has a season in the nbl to show us what he can do, hasn't lived up to media hype yet.

Reply #819277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think you might have a slightly inflated view of the European teams. yes, they're very good. But they're good because they have synergy and play well together. Save for some stars who could be playing NBA, of course, (of which we have our own), their leagues are full of imports and don't have import restrictions. That means they are likely to have positions they're weak in when you take our their NBA contingent. I am not going to declare that we waltz to a medal but I also don't think we're walking in getting smashed by everyone. It's not just about the players but how you use them, and the Boomers have always been bigger than the sum of their parts."

------------------------------------------------------------------

That actually makes the European teams stronger.

Lithuania
Spain
Serbia
Greece
Croatia
Turkey
Russia

Teams like that have all kinds of good players that play in Europe. Playing in rotations of good teams and in European-wide leagues where they have to earn the playing time based on how good they are, and not on their nationality.

So what you are saying is actually a proof of them having better players, and not worse.

Reply #819286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's going to be 2028 and people will still be saying Cotton’s citizenship is not far off

Reply #819287 | Report this post

Why the love for Xavier Cooks

Reply #820042 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It's not gonna matter because NBA starting in December, meaning we escape a clash between NBA and Olympics.

Reply #820044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who knows PBB, another media pet.

Reply #820069 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Hopefully the Boomers put a well balanced squad in. The boomers have finished 4th so many times. It's very stressful to watch them. Boomers may have a chance to finally medal if the NBA season is happening at the same time.

Are the Boomers playing in the Asia Cup qualifiers any soon, it’s November now??

Reply #820084 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Boomers may have a chance to finally medal if the NBA season is happening at the same time.
How does a clash with the NBA season make a medal more likely?

Are the Boomers playing in the Asia Cup qualifiers any soon, it's November now??
End of November I think.

Reply #820089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be interesting how the Asian qualifiers work in the current COVID environment. Teams flying in and out of Australia, referee's flying in and out of Australia (neutral referee's on all games). Will be an interesting exercise in diplomacy.

Reply #820090 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

We're playing New Zealand, so it shouldn't be a huge issue.

Reply #820093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guam is the big game, doesn't matter if we lose again to nz.

Reply #820094 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

". Boomers may have a chance to finally medal if the NBA season is happening at the same time."

Lol. Huh?!?!?!?!

"Are the Boomers playing in the Asia Cup qualifiers any soon, it's November now??
End of November I think."

I feel about the Asia Cup the way most Americans must feel about the Olympics - it's the most non-essential tournament for our team. We know we are the best team in Asia by a country mile, and if we come anything other than first, we must have really dropped the ball. I see no real benefit whatsoever in the tournament, for us, anyway.

Reply #820105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a process you have to be a part of

Reply #820106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope the guys that got smashed by nz last time are not there.

Reply #820118 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I watched Guam vs. New Zealand on YouTube. Guam has some talented players. Can't believe Guam was not in the 2017 Fiba Asia Cup and Hong Kong, Qatar and India made the tournament instead.

The Boomers have to be prepared against Guam if they want to be serious. They need a more experiences squad at least as good as the squad who won the Asia Cup.

Reply #820194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wesley has retired so that leaves a considerable hole in Guam's side

Reply #820195 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Here's the game between Guam vs. New Zealand.
Sad Wesley has retired but he has got a family to take care of.

Reply #820196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guam will get spanked

Reply #820197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie's will be well prepared.

Reply #820199 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:35 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754