Isaac
Years ago

Boomers selection panel and process

"In recruiting for this head coach position, Basketball Australia is seeking to appoint a candidate with a longer-term objective of leading the senior men's national team program post a successful Tokyo Olympic campaign."
Selection panel consists of:
Matti Clements - Australian Institute of Sport, Director of Athlete Wellbeing and Engagement
Neil Craig – Elite High Performance Consultant
Ricky Grace AM – Sydney 2000 Olympian and BA Hall of Famer
Peter Lonergan – BA Director, High Performance Coach Development
Jerril Rechter AM – BA CEO
Jan Stirling – BA Executive GM, High Performance & National Teams
Interested parties have until 4 November 2020 to apply.

The recruitment process is expected to be completed by December 2020.
Here's the position description.

Topic #47706 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Neil Craig a "consultant" these days?

Reply #819487 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Last I heard Neil Craig was working under Eddie Jones on the England Rugby Union team. What he knows about rugby or for that matter basketball who knows but he is a qualified sports scientist.

Reply #819493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the basketball people? Besides Ricky, Peter & Jan.

Reply #819494 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I am not sure what qualifies these people to make the selection. I understand Basketball Australia reps, obviously. But Ricky Grace? These other guys? I'd probably prefer if it had retired coaches who've had success rather than people whose credentials in this area are entirely unclear.

Reply #819516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ correct

Reply #819517 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Can we just make Jan coach?

Reply #819522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lonergan is a very smart basketball operator, knows his shit.

Reply #819524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I am not sure what qualifies these people to make the selection"

Grace would provide a player perspective, as a former Boomer and a former NBA player. He may have been nominated by the Australian Baasketball Players' Association (ABPA). ABPA is one of the key stakeholders listed in the position description.

Clements would be the nominee of the AIS, another of the key stakeholders listed in the position description.

Perhaps Craig is there to provide the perspective from someone who understands the issues surrounding the management of a national team made up of players with professional commitments across multiple leagues and countries? He would have that insight from his England Rugby experience.

Does anyone know what the panel looked like, the last time a Boomers' coach was selected via an open, competitive process?

Reply #819526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So when are they announcing Gleeson?

Reply #819540 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Having more former coaches on the selection panel would be a great idea, thats exactly why BA will do the opposite, useless, but really after this long do we expect any different.

Reply #819541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you want former Boomers coaches on the panel? Its not like any of them know what success looks like.

Reply #819547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps it's better not to have all basketball people on panel, no jobs for mates. They're not picking the under 16 girls coaching lineup for north Adelaide, they're trying to get the best person for the position. Brown was an obvious panic selection to satisfy some people, but apart from that championship with giants, all he's done is be a very good assistant coach, which is what some people are destined to be.
I really hope they look out of the box this time. Everyone knows America wins because they have the best talent and athleticism, but the world has caught up with talent and overtaken them with skill and structure. Will be a European teams medal to lose with a couple exception. They won't have their nba talent probably, but teams like Spain with ex NBA players who have been together for a long time will be favourites. IMO, Australia needs some fresh ideas and structure. Give it to a European coach and see what he or she can do instead of reruns of the same thing. We're finally catching up with the world in terms of size and athleticism, combine that with the European flair and we'd have a definite shot at medals for years to come.

Reply #819550 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

They don't all have to be former Boomers coaches.

Only 2 people out of the 6 have actually coached somewhat relevant levels basketball before, and yes they may be well credentialed, but how many games of International Men's Basketball, or even top level Pro Men's basketball have they coached? No disrespect to their resumes but this is selecting a very specific role.

The ratio should at least be flipped to 4 coaches and 2 non basketball, Lonergan and Stirling are fine to be part of the those 4 i'm not doubting their knowledge of the game, so long as there are also a few coaches with the experience of coaching in the role that is to be filled.

Reply #819556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stirling is our solitary Gold medal winning senior coach, the gender of the team in question is irrelevant. She is the only one who truly knows what it takes to win gold at that level. She's also a multiple WNBL Championship winning HC. Lonergan is a great clinician but I think the highest level he’s coached at is Youth League in Melb, maybe Waratah league in NSW?

My point being that Stirling & Lonergan should be getting mentioned as though they’re in the same category, because they aren’t.

Reply #819567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*shouldn't be

Reply #819568 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

You're correct they're far from equal, but on this panel of 6 they are in the same category, because amazingly they're the only 2 who have actually coached the game.

I'm happy with those 2, Stirling an obvious choice and Lonergan maybe a bit left field but ok, if you combined them with say a Barry Barnes or Brian Goorgian types, then add in 2 externals for a different angle.

I don't see how Jerril Rechter and Matti Clements could add any weight to the decision at all, but i guess they give "equality" to the panel, an "inclusive" decision I'm sure.

Neil Craig is a stretch, and even Ricky Grace... NBL icon yes, but wouldn't you think if you were to get a former player you'd pick someone with an extensive international career, not just short stint?

Again I have to remind myself, this is Basketball Australia, why should we expect anything competent.

Reply #819577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stirling had the James/Jordan of world basketball in her team, Jackson, it makes a huge difference. Yes she probably is a good appointment but no Jackson no gold.

Reply #819581 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Who the hell was on the selection panel when Joyce was appointed head coach of the Opals?

Reply #819592 | Report this post

Reperio  
Years ago

Just give the job to Goorjian and be done with it.

No more mucking about.

Reply #819593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stirling had an incredibly successful stint with lightning as well.

Reply #819596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Georgian still the best option though? Gleeson, Weaver, Vickerman plus others should be encouraged to apply. Get the best candidate, could be an overseas coach.

Reply #819597 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The selectors might have to reconsider their choices with news that the Boomers may have NBA players afterall. Guys like Gleeson and Vickerman fade off a bit and the only real obvious answers become Brian Goorjian and Will Weaver who have relationships with those guys.

Reply #819606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guys from Rio 2016 won't want Gleeson as HC

Reply #819607 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Apparently Goorjian, Gleeson, Vickerman and Beveridge were interviewed for the job. I am guessing if those are the guys interviewed, the job is Goorjians. They expect to announce the coach next week.

Reply #820625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorjian won't be coach if contract is past the Olympics

Reply #820628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson probably should get it on performance alone.

Reply #820635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorgian would not no enough about local Australian players at present, Gleeson or Vickerman.

Reply #820636 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Lonergan is an excellent choice if the role of the coach will be filling their pie hole with donuts.

Reply #820642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would select Beveridge, based on his experience and the fact he can commit 100% to the role.

In the end, I think the core playing group will have a say in this.

Reply #820664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently there is some talk that the interviews were only done to make it look good as Goorjan already has the job.
Hoping that is not true but lets wait and see.
I think Beveridge should be given an opportunity.He has been an Assistant to Goorjan,he knows the players and has a good repore with them and has had results in the NBL of getting results with under budgeted programs compared to others.

Reply #820797 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Goorgian would not no enough about local Australian players at present, Gleeson or Vickerman."

He's will have coached here for a season before he has to select a team. He also knows most of the core of the team personally. I think he'll figure it out.

"Goorjian won't be coach if contract is past the Olympics"

Why? He's 67 and seems spry. Greg Popovich is older now than Goorjian will be by the end of the 2024 Olympics.

"I would select Beveridge, based on his experience and the fact he can commit 100% to the role."

Not sure that having a coach who isn't actively coaching for most of the year is a good idea. Plus if you read between the lines, there's a reason why he hasn't got a gig here for a while.

"Apparently there is some talk that the interviews were only done to make it look good as Goorjan already has the job.
"

I am not sure if it'd be done just to make it look good. But I think provided Goorjian has long term goals with the role I think it's his to lose.

Reply #820799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What has under budget have to do with the Olympics?

Reply #820802 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Goorjian - just then on AdelaideNow.

Reply #820976 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

He must have agreed to coach through to the 2024 Olympics then. He'd be the best option out of those interviewe4d. Also says Weaver could be an assistant, which is cool.

Reply #820978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorjian it is.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/brian-goorjian-is-set-to-become-boomers-coach-again-and-take-them-to-the-tokyo-olympics/news-story/8fb2177871854675d69b674be184d029

Reply #820991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Nielsen as AC

Reply #820995 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:09 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754