Anonymous
Years ago

NBA planning pre Christmas return, finish before Olympics

Latest updates from the NBA world.

So we may well have NBA representation at the Tokyo Olympics.

Topic #47710 | Report this topic

ME  
Years ago

Looking like a 22 December start and a 72 game season. Very likely NBA players could play Olympics in that situation, and if anything it appears like maybe the NBA has made this decision as a compromise to those ends.

I doubt the Boomers have Simmons anyway, but if all the other big guns turn up it'll still be our best-ever team with our best-ever shot at a medal.

Reply #819576 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Why the comment re Simmons? Only blemish I know of was his relation towards Lemanis. Otherwise, what's the issue?

Reply #819579 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Putting aside the fact ME doesn't like black people talking about race (Simmons, Cambage etc) but Simmons never makes himself available for the Boomers so even if the NBA season were to finish a month or so before the Olympics he would likely just make up some excuse to not play anyway.

Reply #819587 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Agreed Zodiac.

Is there any articles we can read confirming this new NBA starting date?

Reply #819588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bigger question is will the Olympics be held?
Simmons might indeed be injured or resting.

Reply #819590 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Article

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nba-targeting-dec-22-as-start-date-for-2020-21-season-184154594.html

Reply #819591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When would there be time to have a training camp, practice games etc, if indeed there is a Games. IMO they should even just scrap Olympics till 2022.
Would it be better to have a team of lesser talent that have time to train and prepare that aren't in the NBA, or potentially an all star scenario of putting in a few sets and hoping talent gets you by. At least Delly and Exum will have extra rest not being in playoffs, but if Philly and Utah make a run, that's a lot of minutes and games condensed.

Reply #819594 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Putting aside the fact ME doesn't like black people talking about race (Simmons, Cambage etc) but Simmons never makes himself available for the Boomers so even if the NBA season were to finish a month or so before the Olympics he would likely just make up some excuse to not play anyway."

Shoehorning race into a conversation that has nothing to do with it, there. People are allowed to have a different point of view to you on that. Fact is yes, Ben does not make any real effort to play for the Boomers. He has had no real involvement since he got butt-hurt about missing out on the 2014 team. I have no faith or expectation of him ever playing with us.

"When would there be time to have a training camp, practice games etc, if indeed there is a Games. "

My understanding is the Finals would finish early-mid June, giving anywhere between 8 weeks and a month between NBA season and games. Ample time for the players who care enough to be involved.

Reply #819598 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Another consideration - while the Olympics will have NBA players, the qualifiers are unlikely to. So that may very well mean that lesser teams scrape though

Reply #819634 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

This is good news. I'd imagine guys like Delly, Exum, Mills won't be going deep into the playoffs so they'll be able to join the Boomers early.

Baynes could be an interesting one. He's a UFA this season yeah? I imagine he'll link up with a contender so he could end up joining the team late

Reply #819644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ânyone that went deep into the playoffs this year and do next year would be risking a fair bit putting an Olympic Games on the back a pretty condensed couple seasons

Reply #819649 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

No Aussies went all that deep this year, and it's unlikely any will next..

But for other nations, sure. We all know Team USA will phone in their squad.

Reply #819650 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah the US squad wont be a strong one. You won't see the likes of LeBron.

If you could make a team only from the non playoff teams it would still be competitive if not amazing. i tried to put together a squad of guys who missed this years playoffs. I left off the often injured guys who likely wouldn't ever commit.

Young / Fox / Morant
Beal / Booker / Redick
DeRozen / Lavine
Love / Aldridge / JJJ
Drummond / Towns / Ayton

If you add in guys who lost in the first round you can add guys like Mitchell, Conley, Lillard, McCollum, Paul.

Just to note, I'm not basing this on who i think will miss out on the playoffs next season, just using this season as an example.

Reply #819651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will probably see a World Cup equivalent team for this Olympics from the US

Reply #819653 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

USA would still be gold medal favourites but would be vulnerable to squads like Australia, France, or Spain who have great continuity in their playing groups.

Reply #819654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were not gold medal favourites in China

Reply #819655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serbia were the favourites for the WC

Reply #819657 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Serbia just imploded though. No idea what happened there.

Reply #819660 | Report this post

Back on topic...Xmas blockbuster matches to kick off season would be great

Reply #820039 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:12 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754