Søren
Years ago

Recommended Sydney School for a skilled 15 year old?

Hi,

My family is to be relocated from Denmark, Europe to Sydney for 1 year beginning summer 2021. My son is 15 years old and a very skilled basketball player (point guard) and wants to continue his basketball development during this year. Can you recommend any schools or programs in Sydney we should look at or where to seek further information? I guess he will be attending a Middle School at that age.

Best Regards
Søren

Topic #47714 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney Boys High School is a public school but you need good grades to get in. Most GPS schools run good programs but it cost big dollars to get in. There are sports high schools but there basketball is not great.

Reply #819757 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

In Aus, you will generally find a better standard of junior development in clubs than schools. First decide where you are going to live. Then work out the nearest club that has Representative teams in the Junior Waratah League. Find out when they run their try outs. Register, turn up, try out and hopefully make a team.

Reply #819762 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Welcome to Australia and to Sydney.

Reply #819771 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Unlike other countries, the peak competition for basketball talent resides in regional clubs that are partly state sponsored, not in the private school system.
There are good private schools with quality basketball programs, but they don't play all year round and the pathway to develop promising players is less developed than offered by the regional clubs. NSW state teams are drawn from regional clubs, not school teams. So - in Sydney's north have a look at Manly, Hills and Hornsby. Avoid Norths just now. (Great club, just going through some issues right now with venues and coaching). Closer to the CBD, Sydney Comets. In the south west, Bankstown.
Certainly private schools can offer an extra layer of quality coaching and playing opportunities which has proven useful recently with many comps shutdown due to Covid. In the north have a look at Redlands at Cremorne, St Lukes and St Augustines. Closer to town look at Scots. The other thing to keep in mind is whether you want your son to undertake the IB rather than the HSC. Here I recommend Redlands again.

Reply #819774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As #757 said,
If you boy is smart and you live close to the city, Sydney boys high is the go. Also noted above is that you are better joining a local basketball club, or do both school and club basketball.

Reply #819786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks at Hills, Comets, Penrith to play
avoid every other club in Sydney.

Schools take your pick - only public sports high worth anything is Westfields and that's going backwards fast.

GPS schools most are ok. ISA schools most are ok.

Reply #819787 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Probably worth pointing out that clubs will run a domestic competition, where you play with your mates against other teams from within the club and somebody's dad is coach. The club will also have more serious representative teams, selected on merit and with experienced coaches that play against other associations. If he is serious and any good, getting on one of these representative teams should be his aim.

Reply #819788 | Report this post

Sydney info  
Years ago

Hi Søren,

welcome to Sydney.

With respect to schools, the ones that compete in the ISA, GPS and CAS leagues tend to have stronger programs.

When it comes to clubs, the bigger metropolitan associations are all making strides with their programs. You can contact Basketball New South Wales who would be happy to help I am sure. You could also examine the recent announcements for high performance teams and programs on BNSW website and socials, the clubs with higher representation numbers within those selections tend to relfect strength of program.

All the best.

Reply #819827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make sure he joins the mighty Sydney Comets! :)

Reply #819871 | Report this post

Søren  
Years ago

Thank you all for the insightful tips. We are to live North of Sydney center so will look further into "Manly, Hills and Hornsby" and Sydneys Boys as suggested. What about timing? How often are teams running try-outs?

I wrote we were to relocate summer 2021 - well European summer :-) So we will probably come to Sydney somewhere around July, August, September 2021.

Thanks again.
Søren

Reply #819892 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Hey Soren,

Trials are generally run by clubs in October/November, so your timing is just about perfect. Your son will be in the u18's I am guessing, so I would look into the clubs that have a D1 side here:

https://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info.cgi?a=FIXTURE&compID=554132&c=0-10628-0-0-0

All the best, and feel free to reach out if you need any more information.

Dave

Reply #819897 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Saint Augustine's Çollege at Brookvale has a very good Basketball program. It has recently produced an Australian National Championship team, regular conference Championship teams and is coached by a dual Olympic Basketballer. It is part of the Manly Warringah Association who play out of a modern facility near the beach. The school has produced a number of Div 1 and Div 2 NCAA players along with regular overseas trips to play schools in the US. It is located on Sydney's famous Northern Beaches to the North of the City and is the best place to live, we call it God's Country. It will give your family the perfect taste of the Australian lifestyle and beach culture. I suggest you contact the School directly. Good luck!

Reply #820020 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:13 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754