Ben
Years ago

RJ Hampton on Russillo Podcast

For anyone interested:

Russillo spoke with Hampton/Mike Miller on the pod that dropped two days ago. Good listen.

No *extensive* discussion on the NBL as such, but the league was briefly talked about. Only positive talk from Hampton.

Mentioned the league was talented. He was asked how he felt going from being 'the man' to effectively being a rotation player. Said he believed this aided his development as 1. he was training with and going up against tough competition and 2. the mindset of preparing and being as a rotation player will help slotting in to a similar role in the NBA without the hang-ups of feeling like he needs to be a star.

My takeaway for the NBL from the interview is that it boded well for continuing to attract like talent. That said, RJ is on the campaign trail to up his draft stock so he was never going to talk negatively about much, but still.

Topic #47743 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he is going to be a real solid player. Came in as a highly ranked player and didn't do anything that harmed that. Ball got all the headlines, but he got given the keys to the car and got to do pretty much anything with the Hawks having nothing else. Reverse roles and Hampton puts up big numbers, but Ball would probably sit and pout.
Apparently Hamptons workouts with Penny Hardaway went really well and polished him up a bit. If he gets the right situation and solid franchise, in a couple of years he'll be a very good starter on a playoff team.
Even though g league threw a bit of cash about I'm surprised the nbl couldn't get some kids over considering college doesn't really know what's going on with pandemic and Australia probably leading the world with NZ.

Reply #820615 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

He is an impressive young lad is RJ. I rate him higher than Ball FWIW. Hope he goes well in the next couple of years.

Reply #820958 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:52 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754