Jock
Years ago

South Aussie ABC Basketball Comp – who are the stars?

With the 12wk Adelaide Basketball Challenge (ABC) competition coming to an end this Tues night (minus the finals), who are some of the standout / promising players?

And which teams are likely to excel in the 2021 NBL1 Central conference?

Topic #47744 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jock's kid has obviously had a good season and he’s stroking himself to the thought of someone name dropping him.

Reply #820579 | Report this post

Jock  
Years ago

Hey 579, maybe you like the notion of stroking but I'm just putting it out there for general comment ya smart arse!

You couldn't be further from the truth, there's absolutely no personal interest on my part. So just stick to the topic and tell us your opinion?

Reply #820598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay Jock good to know. In that case:

MEN
Forestville: Mays has been dominant.
Sturt: Running on the Spear-Kubank combo.
North: Running on the Marshall-Dowdell combo.
West: DeSantis breakout year.
Woodville: McGee and Meldrum.
South: Todd Davies. Starling when healthy. Hoppo been disappointing for all the hype.
Central's: eh, Sapwell?
Norwood: eh, not sure.

Reply #820600 | Report this post

Jock  
Years ago

Would have to agree #600. Forestville seems the only side to have a fixed starting five, the rest only have 2 at best players rising to the occasion. My vote:

MEN:

Forestville: Mays & Doyle lethal combo. Not sure about Harris yet?

Sturt: Kubank & Spears, but will Kubank be there next season? Spears nothing without a good support player. Obviously Mudronja in the mix, if he plays.

North: Marshal & Dowdell for sure, but Marshall likes to control so not sure that will be in the interest of the team play next season. I'm sure they’ll bolster their stocks with either an NBL player or imports, especially with the new coach. Harding over-rated.

West: DeSantis proving to be a gun and key going forward, but like Kubank will he be there next season? I’m sure West will recruit some good imports. Young guy Hunter will develop and import McAlister looks OK.

Woodville: McGee for sure, but he will need a good import around him. Meldrum inconsistent and the coach is on his last legs.

South: Todd Davies & Starling for sure. Hoppo is highly over-rated.

Central's: Sapwell I guess. Maybe Dau? They seem to struggle attracting good players.

Norwood: CJ Turnage lone ranger and will need good support going forward. The Webber combo needs serious review.

Southern: Martin & Mccalop & Lual Lual Diing. Seem to be a consistent side.

Eastern: Knibbs & Aktan, but they’ll need plenty of good recruits.

Reply #820609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How would people rate Harris, Marshall, Davies, De Santis? Are they all about the same level?

Reply #820610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most improved would have to be McGee, put up some big numbers. Haven't seen him play, but has he found himself a jump shot. Or post moves? Previously couldn't hit a mid range to save his life so just relied on athleticism and put backs to score.

Reply #820620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really. He's in the same boat as Marshall, thrust into the go-to guy spot so gets a lot of shots.

Reply #820629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's gone from 4th or 5th option, doubt he had any plays run for him at eastern to dropping 30 a few times. Would think they would have had others like meldrum who would have been number 1 choice. A lot thought it was strange choice going there with marinara brothers established, yet he's clearly outshine them.
Agree that Marshall has had to take a lot of shots, that's what happens when suddenly there's dozens of shots available without McVeigh, BJ, Starling etc.

Reply #820631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marshall is averaging over 25 on a team that has had success over this season though he can't just be chucking up garbage. That sounds more like De Santis maybe?

Reply #820634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North have won 1 more game than West this year yet you are acting like they are miles above them. Pretty sure they ruined their chances of making finals too, courtesy of DeSantis and company.

Reply #820641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No offensive efficiency stats have been kept this year, I think the scoring stats need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Reply #820654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Few numptys in this thread. Regardless of efficiency stats averaging 24 and over in this league should be commended, especially when you are as young as Marshall and DeSantis.

Reply #820659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Few numptys in this thread." Yes, and everywhere in this forum.

Reply #820660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they the same age? I always thought of De Santis as being a little older.

Reply #820662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you average 24 in a normal season yes it's highly commendable. But the standard in the ABC is very poor. It’s effectively glorified reserves.

Reply #820663 | Report this post

Jock  
Years ago

Interesting comments, still think there's some really good young talent coming through regardless of the ABC comp and player stats. There's still a handful of very good imports here in Adelaide so I wouldn't say the entire comp is crap.

I wouldn't be putting Marshall on a pedestal as he hasn't really played in a serious comp yet. And when he'll have to share the ball more next season and not hog it - we'll see different stats, I'm sure.

Reply #820665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#662.

I believe DeSantis has just turned 22 and Marshall is 21

Reply #820666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have guys like Mayen who will start in the big 10, White at the Hawks, Mudronja with the 6ers, Garang at Oklahoma, older Sapwell with Cairns, Rigoni then locally you have guys like Marshall, Destantis, Dau, Hoppo, Diing, Harris, young Sapwell, Griscti, Machar brothers stepping up to fill the void left by these guys going to the pros and high major college programs.

If we figure out how to let the success feed on success rather than trying to erode and hamper athlete and player development, which SA has been the master of, the wave will continue to grow.

Exciting times continue ahead if you love to see athlete's and the game succeed. Tough times ahead for those many that don't, sorry.

Reply #820668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What exactly has Hoppo done? He is severely overrated, no clue how he went to a Division 1 school.

Reply #820670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe he's riding the pine for South. Makes you question a lot of things about basketball in SA. Currently training with the 6ers.

Reply #820671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would be surprised how many of the '"local' guys would give the ‘pros’ a run for their money. I’m sure some of those guys have had a lot of help getting to where they are now if you know what I mean cough cough.

All well and good to go pro or high major but at the end of the day you have a expectation to live up to and if you don’t then you are a bust.

Reply #820672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Averaging 8ppg for South!!!

Reply #820673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt the standout team so far and are the overachievers. Spear and Kubank both very good and anchoring, with the rest being young Sturt kids. No imports at all and should finish in second spot, which is oustanding. Rigoni has them playing unselfish basketball.

Reply #820675 | Report this post

Jock  
Years ago

Hoppo (Mr Look-At-Me) is useless and currently brown nosing the 36ers, as he does with everything else. In fact Marshall is in the same category - it's who you know, not how good you are with those 36er DP spots. Would have thought the new 36er head coach would of stamped that out after Wright and Jantke were dismissed! The whole system is rigged.

Anyhow, why didn’t Hoppo he go back to his Div 1 College, which a lot of people moved mountains for him to get that opportunity. Including raising money!

Reply #820704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marshall has a lot more substance to his game than Hoppo putting them in the same sentence is insulting.

To answer the question earlier I think it's
Harris
Marshall
De Santis
Davies

Reply #820705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marshall with elevate above them all. Watch this space.

Reply #820710 | Report this post

BobnCat  
Years ago

I think DeSantis and Kubank are both heading back to Mt Gambier.

Reply #820716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That hurts West and Sturt a lot going into NBL1 season. More so West who won't have a lead guard.

Reply #820727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Much of Harris's success has been due to him being part of a pretty dominant Forestville team. Teams have had to deal with other players on their team therefore allowing him to do his thing.

I would say Harris/Marshall/DeSantis are all on the same level to be honest. DeSantis is a scorer but also handles the ball and provides assists for his team. The other two are more focussed on getting buckets most possessions.

Reply #820728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gritsci should be getting looked at seriously as a future pro player
His size skill and smarts are great for his age with a huge amount of upside to come. Could see him moving to North to get the finishing touches put on his game and development....ready to give it a serious shot

Reply #820768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think a few elite young SA players would see the North program as a serious option to take their development to the next level. Why wouldn't they?

Reply #820790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ nice try.

Reply #820822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jantke on the recruiting trail early evidently.

Reply #820841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatever happened to Ben Carter?

Reply #820855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

841, the joke remains on you. What you choose to think happens in that small, illiterate mind of yours and reality are 2 different things. Ignorance is bliss though for fools. Keep that head of yours in that pile of dung it resides in.

Reply #820859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

859, Thank you JankSpeare.

Reply #820863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would BSA hold the GF for ABC at Lights and not Titanium where you can have more people and still social distance. Who is the joker that did this? SMH

Reply #820864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's BSA. When did they last get anything right? Going to be 2 very interesting games lol

Reply #820866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is playing in the GF's?

Reply #820869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville 1 v Sturt 1

Reply #820871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably getting a kick back for people paying to watch the game online cause only so many can attend. BSA you're FIRED!

Reply #820872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is going to watch a reserves gf. No one cares

Reply #820873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#873 absolutely 100% on the money

Reply #820877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gritsci top scorer in the ABC Grand Final...and one of the youngest on the court. As mentioned above, the Guy is a serious talent, remember the name.

Reply #821419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The quality of the game was rubbish as were the lopsided rosters. Sturt never had a chance

Reply #821421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much do you think Forestville paid for a B grade title? A lot of players were holding 2 fingers up like they went back to back.

Reply #821460 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:51 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754