Aussie
Years ago

Goorjian announced as Australian Boomers coach

Within a few days according to Matt Logue.

A great decision in my opinion

Topic #47758 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'd be ok with this. Not exactly inspired, but it's not like we've got a 1984 NBA Draft's worth of great candidates to pick from either.

Reply #821014 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I'd be ok with this. Not exactly inspired, but it's not like we've got a 1984 NBA Draft's worth of great candidates to pick from either

Who would you prefer over Goorj?

Reply #821018 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Story here:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/breaking-news/brian-goorjian-is-set-to-become-boomers-coach-again-and-take-them-to-the-tokyo-olympics/news-story/8fb2177871854675d69b674be184d029

Reply #821020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not weaver?

Reply #821021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because he wasn't selected I guess?

Reply #821024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wasn't very successful the first time he coached Australia. Did Gleeson apply ?

Reply #821026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Applicants interviewed were Goorjan,Gleeson,Vickerman and Beveridge.

Reply #821029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Decision to appoint Goorjan was already made before the interviews were held.

Reply #821030 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

He wasn't very successful the first time he coached Australia.

We didn't have the talent then that we have now

Reply #821032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson derserved a shot.

Reply #821037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did Gleeson deserve a shot?

Reply #821039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the most successful NBL coaches of all time whether you like him or not.

Reply #821043 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

As expected and the right decision to steer us through Tokyo 2021 however I hope someone else with an eye to the future is appointed after that. Goorj had his time coaching the Boomers and he wasn't very successful despite all the Kings players he shoe-horned into the team.

Reply #821049 | Report this post

Gazeeee  
Years ago

Bevo with no distractions about coaching a NBL side would have been a better choice I feel , Lemanis flaw was he had to juggle both and also the promise of a boomers selection if they joined the bullets wasn't helpful can see goorjian having similar issues

Reply #821050 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Let's not forget a Goorjian-led Boomers consisting of NBL players (plus Andersen and Bogut) led Team USA for three quarters in Athens 2004.

Reply #821052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis did a fantastic job. Mills hits some free throws and we are playing for gold so let's not talk too much shit

Reply #821056 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Years ago

Goorjian is superb.

Reply #821057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson has runs on the board, should have been given a shot and I'm certainly not a Perth fan. I get swayed by results.

Reply #821059 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

The 2004 Boomers were probably the poorest squad we've had since 1988.

Reply #821061 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I look forward to Luke Kendall being starting point guard in Tokyo.

Reply #821062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL results mean absolutely nothing on the world stage. Gleeson's relationship with the senior group meant he had zero chance. Just like Ogilvy

Reply #821063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ yep 100%

Reply #821064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have no idea if Goorjean has changed his style, it's been a long time since he's coached here. His teams were always built on defence, with a few superstars to get the points. I just can't see how that's going to work internationally with the way is played now.
I'm sure there's a whole world of better applicants out there, even though the world has shrunk due to the pandemic. Would have thought Australia would be one of the prized gigs out there based on talent, but we always bring in recycled guys like Brown and Goorjian. Shit, hire a guy like D'Antoni, everyone thinks getting the bronze is the goal. Never in a million years will we win gold with Brian in charge, throw a curveball in and see what happens. Feeling like my mate Jock, basketball Australia will just go with a boring choice and hope Bogut, Delly and Patty can get us in bronze medal game.

Reply #821069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#069 clueless

Reply #821072 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

There's a fundamental flaw in bureaucratic thinking, the idea that you don't get in trouble for making "the right choice". That is the choice that seemed obvious and safe at the time.
Goorjian is the obvious, safe, predictable, boring choice.

Goorjian failed previously because he was unable to make the transition from being the biggest fish in the pond, to being a nobody. From playing by his rules, to adapting to the very Eurocentric interpretations that was FIBA ball at that time.
I would assume that he had to change his whole approach when he went to China, and certainly in the interviews I have heard and read, he seems much more mellow and far less arrogant.

I'm confident he will do a competent job in Tokyo.
(Problem is that as we have seen recently, Australia doesn't need competent. We need inspired brilliance.)

Reply #821082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson is despised by the NBA Boomers players.
Comical his name comes up

Reply #821083 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Gleeson is despised by the NBA Boomers players.
Comical his name comes up"

I think the last thing NBA players want is some arrogant asshole berating referees and getting techs all the time. If he pulled the stuff he does in the NBl at the Olympics he'd not last a game.

Reply #821096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what Bogut is for.

Reply #821097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Gleeson is despised by the NBA Boomers players."

So is Lemanis, from the looks of things.

Reply #821099 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

This is disappointing. He destroyed the bombers, sank a few nbl clubs in his time.

Moved to China, destroyed their program.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

Reply #821105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How the hell did he destroy China's program? What a ridiculous statement

Reply #821111 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Lisa Alexander didn't throw her hat in the ring?

Bevo would've been my first choice, but Goorj has always been a great coach and recently broadened his experience even more, so I'm not unhappy with this.

Reply #821114 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

All options were decent choices, like someone said Goorjian was likely already chosen before the interviews, my order of choice would have been.

Bev - no affiliation to an NBL club so less likely for bias and knows the countries players well
Gleeson - has shown time and again he can win
Goorjian - Prob has no real knowledge of current Australian talent bar the NBA players
Vickerman - good coach, but the others just seem that bit higher

Reply #821124 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Goorjian - Prob has no real knowledge of current Australian talent bar the NBA players"

The Boomers are going to be majority NBA players at the Olympics -

Ben Simmons
Patty Mills
Joe Ingles
Jonah Bolden
Aron Baynes
Dante Exum
Matthew Dellavedova
Ryan Broekhoff
Josh Green
Mattise Thybulle (if that goes ahead)
Thon Maker

That's 11 NBA players, all who could very reasonably expect to make the team. Then you have Bryce Cotton, Jock Landale, Brock Motum, Chris Goulding, Andrew Bogut etc all vying for spots and all guys Goorjian either knows, or will know by the end of the season.

I don't think Goorjians lack of affiliation with Kevin White and Brendan Teys is much of an issue.

Reply #821128 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

We still don't know which NBA players will opt to play in the Olympics though, we've never always had the full contingency available and I expect the same in Tokyo. At least he'll get the majority of the NBL season to see who's in line for a spot if needed.

Reply #821135 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's BA's press release:

Basketball Australia (BA) is delighted to announce that Australian coaching icon Brian Goorjian will lead the Boomers at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics after appointing him coach of the senior men's national team through to the 2023 FIBA Basketball World Cup.

The six-time NBL Championship coach was selected from an outstanding field of candidates and will take the reins of the Boomers as they commence their nine-month preparation for the Tokyo Olympics, scheduled to be contested 23 July - 8 August 2021.

Goorjian is no stranger to the expectation of an Olympic Games, having been head coach of the Boomers in 2004 (Athens) and 2008 (Beijing). Post Beijing, Brian broadened his international experience spending two years with the Japanese National team and then made his mark in the CBA (Chinese Basketball Association) over eleven years, making him the longest serving foreign coach to date.

Between 1988 and 2009, Goorjian coached 735 NBL games for 514 wins, at an incredible winning percentage of 70%. Over that time, he amassed six championships, six Lindsay Gaze NBL Coach of the Year awards, 19 consecutive NBL play-off appearances and 13 NBL Grand Final series appearances.

Upon making the announcement, Basketball Australia CEO Jerril Rechter AM said, "Brian’s success as a coach both domestically and internationally, plus his experience on the Olympic stage made him a standout candidate for this prestigious role.

“His appointment as our senior men’s national team head coach elevates the excitement we feel for the Boomers, not just in Tokyo where we have podium expectations but also beyond this Olympic campaign."

Highly regarded for his relentless determination in getting the absolute best from the teams he manages, Goorjian leads and fast tracks the improvement of individual athletes. The current Hawks head coach in the NBL has previously introduced Andrew Bogut, Patty Mills, and Joe Ingles to the Olympic stage.

Goorjian is renown as an elite high-performance system leader whose capacity to adapt quickly will be needed as the road to Tokyo is still impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

On being appointed to the role, Brian Goorjian said, “I am honoured to be appointed as the men’s national coach and I am looking forward to the challenge. Being reunited with some of the guys I previously coached at the Beijing Olympics is an exciting prospect.

“Australia is very fortunate to have such a talented group of athletes at this time. There is certainly a feeling of unfinished business, so there is a strong commitment from these players to participating in the Tokyo Olympics.

“I will be sitting down with Basketball Australia over the coming days to get fully briefed on their existing plans as we start the road to Tokyo and beyond.”

Goorjian’s appointment as Boomers head coach will not impact on his role with Hawks in the NBL.

Hawks Co-Owner and President Dorry Kordahi said, “The entire Hawks organisation is thrilled for Brian and this opportunity. Brian’s approach to the game and his insight are second to none.

“He inspires players through his knowledge and passion, and I have every confidence Brian will lead the Boomers to success on the world stage. As a friend and colleague, I could not be more proud of this appointment."

BA would like to acknowledge the outstanding contributions of the independent panel members involved in this recruitment process: Matti Clements – Australian Institute of Sport Director of Athlete Wellbeing and Engagement; Neil Craig – Elite High Performance Consultant; and Ricky Grace – Sydney 2000 Olympian and BA Hall of Famer.

Reply #821136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum, please, he's hardly played, Maker done nothing. Bolden and Green unproven. Others on that list questionable and yes he probably has to pick some locals of which he knows nothing about. Cadee and Drimic will probably get in because of past acquaintances.

Great coach Goorgian but not this time.

Reply #821138 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

LOL Cadee and Drmic WILL NOT be making the team. Do you think he's going to be coaching the next NBL season with his eyes closed or something? You think he wont have assistant coaches? Stop being ridiculous.

Reply #821140 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I want to see the Spurs-style that we saw from the Boomers in Rio and the World Cup.

Lots of passing, lots of movement, lots of chasing the ball, lots of fighting for the rebounds.

I don't want to see slow-down grit it out eastern-Euro-style basketball and I don't think the Boomers will succeed by doing that.

Reply #821141 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

In other news, Will Magnay will not be coming to Adelaide with the Bullets due to NBA interest, apparently. Magnay is a guy who isn't spoken of much in Olympic team projections but if Bogut falls out of the race he becomes an interesting prospect there. And a guy going straight from the NBL to the NBA is a great story for the league.

Reply #821142 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Magnay is legit and should 100% be in the discussion for a Boomers spot, even if it's the 12th man.

Reply #821146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

+1 Playmaker.
Magnay and Green are far better as 11/12 men heading towards 2023/24 years.

No more Gliddon, Sobey or Barlow wasting roster spots.

The 11 NBA players ME listed won't all make team.
Simmons you never know if he will committ.
Bolden and Exum aren't living up to expectations, Cotton , Landale and even Nick Kay can all expect to be in the mix.

Don't discount Makur Maker either depending on his freshman season.

Reply #821151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pg
Simmons
1 of Dellavedova or exum
Cg
Mills
Sg
Cotton
1 of Thybulle or Goulding or green
Sf
Ingles
1 of Broekhoff or Adel or creek
Pf
Landale
3 of Kay, bolden, maker, Magnay, Humphries, cooks, reath
Baynes

Reply #821152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA selection process

Goorj: I'm available
Panel: Right....you're in. See everyone down the pub.

Reply #821167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ salty are we.
Goorjian over Gleeson or Vickerman easily.

Reply #821169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons playing for the Boomers? Thats cute

Reply #821171 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Either way I dont think Goorjian is going to have a problem figuring out who should and shouldn't make the team and what their strengths and weaknesses are. The guy is a professional. He'll be watching tape, going up against them, bringing the top names into camp, working them out, working through a process. He'll be fine.

Reply #821180 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Goorj is a good choice. i would probably have liked to see Bevo get his long awaited shot, but can't argue too much with Goorj.

Reply #821183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorj has been watching NBL games the whole time he was in China so is familiar with all of our NBL guys, so please dont pretend he has no knowledge of current Aussies.

Reply #821185 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Knowledge of aussies is an easy thing for him to brush up on anyway.
It's knowledge of the Euros that is going to be pivotal to our success IMO.

Reply #821193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very few Aussie players in any decent league in Europe, Kay, Mathiang and Motum.

Reply #821213 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

What I meant was scouting our opponents, not just keeping up with how our aussies are going over there.

Reply #821245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath,

Reply #821248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath and Cooks have been mentioned in this thread but I assume they only get considered if no NBA players are available.

Reply #821249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath hasn't started that well in the aba league, Cooks I’m far convinced on last years nbl performance is deserved the wraps he gets.

Reply #821250 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Years ago

He coached them in 2008, and has since been coaching at the highest levels in ultimate high pressure environments. Think about what you were doing with yourself and , hopefully how much better you are at things 12 years later. There's a a reason he is still in the game, he’s clearly someone who improves and evolves. There are a tonne of coaches from his original era who aren’t coaching anymore, probably becuase they didn’t evolve and adapt.

To say he wouldn’t have a finger on the pulse internationally shows how much some people know about how professional coaching works. These guys are constantly improving and evolving.
'Spurs’ type offence’ which era? Go watch Pop’s Robinson and Duncan teams compared to different era’s. They evolved into what you see now.
Eastern Europe style of play is where today’s flow systems evolved from.

Reply #821268 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

So wait, are we back to having NBA players available? (Yes, I haven't been paying any attention to the NBA, as usual.)

If we were looking at an NBL based team, I would have picked Gleeson.
Not saying Goorj has a huge advantage with NBA players, but his international experience would be superior.

Reply #821308 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Yes it is likely NBA players are available because the NBA is going to start on December 22 and run for 72 games, missing the late July Olympics.

Reply #821311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever makes finals in nba ain't playing for boomers.

Reply #821312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Simmons even gets to 2nd round of the playoffs then perhaps he won't participate.

Reply #821331 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Whoever makes finals in nba ain't playing for boomers"

Where are you even getting that from? You really think Patty, Joe, Baynes, Delly or any of our main guys are gonna let go of their Olympic dreams because theyre a bit tired?

Reply #821336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course not.
Just Ben will

Reply #821343 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Aussie NBA star Ben Simmons is yet to play for the Boomers at a World Cup or Olympics, but new coach Brian Goorjian would like to change that."

Article from Matt Logue at https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/newly-appointed-boomers-coach-brian-goorjian-wants-ben-simmons-at-the-olympics/news-story/98bc445ececb02b6f8906e920da89e94

Gives some quotes from Goorjian, about his relationships with current and potential Boomers. Most interesting snippet is to the effect that several NBA based players pushed to get Goorjian as coach.

Reply #821423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. As highlighted before the players didn't want Trev after his poor efforts as AC in Rio.

Reply #821438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trevs poor efforts, wake up and smell the roses. We two bad calls away from medals at Olympics and WC. You got know idea.

Reply #821444 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"If Simmons even gets to 2nd round of the playoffs then perhaps he won't participate.

"

If Simmons has so much as an itchy eye, he wont participate.

Reply #821446 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

We should really be operating under the assumption we won't have Simmons playing for the Boomers anytime soon.

Reply #821447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons (24) is currently the best player to not play world cup or Olympics yet.

What other players can we think of?
Not including players under 24 . That haven't played in a major senior tournament..

Reply #821459 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Whoever makes finals in nba ain't playing for boomers"

Where are you even getting that from?
If the Finals are going to run until the day before the Olympics, then it just won't be physically possible.

It'd probably rule out anyone who makes the playoffs once you include time for preparation.

Reply #821463 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"If the Finals are going to run until the day before the Olympics, then it just won't be physically possible."

But where are you getting THAT from? Bare in mind it's a 72 game season.

Reply #821465 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The thread about the NBA schedule, in which the Finals dates were posted.

Reply #821467 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Ah just saw that. Fuck. Can we ever get some decent news?

Reply #821469 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Just doing some projecting here. From what I understand, most Aussies wont be in the playoff picture, bar maybe Ingles or Baynes depending where he lands.

If one or two guys join the Boomers program late - with say two weeks to go - they can be easily accommodated. If more than that join on late, it becomes much harder and you'd only seek to assimilate the best fits in that situation.

You can probably cross Ben Simmons out, because even in the unlikely scenario he misses the playoffs, there will be some sort of Jenner he wants to spend his summer chasing.

But for most patriotic Australian players, a late entry into the Boomers team would still be feasible, and I'd expect a Baynes or an Ingles to make that move if given the option, provided they're not in the finals series.

Team USA is going to be hurt by this, for sure. Whoever is in the Finals series will likely be a Lebron or someone of that sort of calibre. But I think most international teams should squeak through this okay provided their players truly care about playing in the OLympics - and luckily for us, ours do.

Reply #821472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons probably won't be available no surprise there.
Ingles , Mills, Baynes and Dellavedova will hopefully be there.

Reply #821483 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

In other news what's going on with Bolden, Broekhoff and Landale? Where are they playing at the moment?

Reply #821602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Article in The Age about potential for NBA/Olympics clashes and what it might mean for NBA based Boomers. Behind a paywall, unfortunately.

Key quotes:

"The NBA released the format for its new season on Wednesday. Teams will play 72 games starting from December 23 (AEDT) followed by a play-in tournament for fringe playoff sides and the playoffs. Game seven of the NBA finals, if necessary, is scheduled for July 23 (AEDT)."

'Basketball Australia is seeking advice on what dates their athletes will need to be in Tokyo to be able to play in the Olympics. It's not clear what quarantine requirements around the COVID-19 pandemic would be in place for athletes, so any Boomers player still in the NBA finals, or possibly even the conference finals, could be ruled out of the Games if making a late dash to Japan is not be a possibility.'

'Basketball Australia and newly appointed head coach of the Boomers, Brian Goorjian, will be talking to our American based athletes over the coming period to ascertain their availability for the Tokyo Olympics," Stirling said in a statement.'

'"We are also awaiting information from the IOC via the AOC around logistics for the Olympic basketball tournament and this could also impact upon availability and selection."'

Reply #821702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd imagine 14 days quarantine, which would likely make anyone in the NBA Finals a no-go, and draw into question anyone in a late conference final. Most of our guys wont be there but we will see I suppose. I just hope the basketball gods smile upon us for once.

Reply #821987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

76ers starting to look like.
Curry / Milton
Green / Thybulle
Harris / Korkmaz
Simmons / Pelle
Embiid / Howard

Broekhoff maybe

2 boomers likely we will not see.

Reply #821988 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

That's assuming they make the grand final series, and Ben was probably always going to place getting offended over playing for the Boomers anyway

Reply #821989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playoffs or finals rules boomers out of Tokyo.

Reply #821990 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Lol no it doesn't. If we safely assume two weeks quarantine before the games, the Finals definitely rules them out, but Playoffs do not. What, you think games played up to two months before the Olympics stop them from playing?

Reply #821992 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

If you read what the article says, they're worried mostly about the Grand Final series and possible conference finals depending on quarantine length. I am sure the teams making the first and second rounds will survive.

Reply #821994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playoffs are may 22 to July6

Tokyo
July 23- august 8

You ain't making Tokyo wth playoffs and finals.

Reply #821995 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Do we really want to be bringing in guys who haven't been in the camps and haven't trained with the group?

Reply #821997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who doesn't make playoffs in nba has 5 weeks before Tokyo.
Take away 2 weeks quartine and you have only 3 weeks together with boomers group minus travelling between countries, preparation etc, so only 2 weeks together.

Playoffs would mean straight from nba to Tokyo quarantine, 1 day before games.

Reply #821999 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Do we really want to be bringing in guys who haven't been in the camps and haven't trained with the group?"

Depends who

Reply #822000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With a vaccine who knows what quarantine time will look like

Reply #822002 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:00 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754