Isaac
Years ago

Harden turns down record extension, keen on Brooklyn

Woj:

After turning down an extension offer to become the first $50M a year player in league history, James Harden's message to Houston is clear: Get me to Brooklyn.
After turning down the chance to become the first $50 million a year player in league history, Houston Rockets guard All-NBA guard James Harden has made it clear to ownership that he's singularly focused on a trade to the Brooklyn Nets, sources tell ESPN.

As Harden's conversations with the Nets stars Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving ramped up in recent weeks on the West Coast, sources say the Rockets made a pitch for him to sign the maximum allowable extension -- two years and $103 million on top of the remaining three years, $133 million on his current deal.
The Rockets want a massive return of assets for Harden, and are willing to be patient to find that in the marketplace.
Story

Durant and Harden dealing with Kyrie could be very entertaining...

Topic #47774 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone shops for championships these days. You appreciate how good legends like MJ were in that they formed a core and won rings and not like Lebron or this guy looking for easy path to championships.

Reply #821546 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

You give too much credit to MJ. He didn't "form a core", he was the best player on his team and the Bulls were able to assemble and retain a good enough supporting case to win a bunch of titles.

Reply #821547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Houston has the worst owner on pro sports. A tight wad jackass who has no clue but keep insisting on making ever decisions that should be the general managers job

Reply #821549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You give too much credit to MJ. He didn't "form a core", he was the best player on his team and the Bulls were able to assemble and retain a good enough supporting case to win a bunch of titles."

yeah but I think the point trying to be made is that MJ could have just gone to Detroit or wherever to make an instant superteam and got rings galore that way. But that wasn't the way he rolled.

Reply #821551 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

How the hell would Harden, Durant and Irving work? There are not enough balls on the planet to go around for those three.

Reply #821555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harden still has three years on his contract...Houston will trade him where they get the best deal.

The Houston owner is a real di*k and just lost a fortune in net worth so he'll get the best deal without a care for Harden

Reply #821559 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It wasn't just Jordan - I don't think many of the players of that era worked like that. They manoeuvred to improve their chances, but it didn't seem as blatant as now. "Rings are everything" seems more of a modern creation. Current players would've grown up hearing about Barkley not winning a ring, Stockton and Malone, etc. Any of those guys could've engineered a superteam.

I guess once you have a certain level of talent, the money is a given. What else is there to differentiate your professional career - it's either one-team player (whatever that's worth) or winning a ring.

The abstraction of a club to NBA Jam felt right, in that teams were represented by a star pairing. The trio superteams just seem a bit imbalanced.

Reply #821563 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think you are spot on Isaac. When I was growing up as a basketball fan during the 2nd Bulls three-peat era in particular when news about the league was more accessible online, the lack of rings for guys like Malone/Barkley/etc was a big talking point as their careers wound down, and you started seeing ring chasing even back then, although not guys in their prime to be fair (Houston Rockets with Drexler/Barkley in particular). It was just a natural progression from there - players today know they will be judged on their ability to win titles. It was/is still the dominant talking point in the LBJ-Jordan debate.

Maybe what I find ironic about this whole topic, especially using MJ as an example, is that MJ is maybe the best player to point at to explain why things are at the point they are now - there was (and are) way more Michael Jordan fans than there ever was Chicago Bulls fans. Players are the dominant face of the NBA, probably more so than any other top tier league in the world - that's the end result of how the game was marketed, officiated, and rules were designed/changed over the past couple of decades. The way it all went down following the Bulls' 2nd three-peat with tearing the team up I think could also be looked at as another milestone in the mutual lack of loyalty between teams and players today.

Reply #821569 | Report this post

Tjamu  
Years ago

guys became ring conscious because you could be the best player of all time, but not have the rings to show for it, like LeBron, and people will act like youre not top 100 of all time.

Im not saying James is GOAT, but people swore (and still swear to this day) that he isnt top 2-3 all time, purely because he had less rings. Despite his numbers being on par with anybody and his level of dominance being the same.

Memes and social media have created these entitled stars, so if you've ever made a reamrk about a ringless star or you have used it in a debate to diminish the guys greatness, you are a part of why these dudes all started teaming up

Reply #821570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the ring is the thing Jim Loscutoff is better than Jordan.
Hell, Jordan just scrapes into the top ten all time.

Reply #821572 | Report this post

Tjamu  
Years ago

#572.... exactly, theres Horry and a hand full of Celtics better than jordan.

Guys get judged on rings crazilly.

I think rings can be used as a tie breaker, not as a full blown metric to measure greatness. Like, for me, Tim Duncan > KG as GOAT PF. The resumes are both phenomenal and theyre supremely dominant and both could do it all on both ends. howeverm Duncans 5 rings and 2 mvps trumped 1 ring and one MVP for KG.

in the situation where a player is dominant and will retire an all time great, him saying "eh F this, im gonna join some guys that are already making noise" just to chase insanely watered down titles doesnt really fix his legacy. but in saying that, staying ringless doesnt either.

Plain and simply put. Everybody cant win. There has to be somebody that dominates for 20 years and leaves the game with nothing.

Reply #821576 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Bucks forming a very nice starting 5

PG - Jrue
SG - Bogdanovic
SF - Middleton
PF - Anteteknfojfjfdmpo
C - Lopez

Getting rid of Bledsoe in the proces, very nice. This will also mean Giannis will sign on with the Bucks.

Reply #821592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would the Nets do the ultimate Game of Thrones betrayal and trade Kyrie for Harden, keeping Dinwiddie?
That way Brooklyn get Harden but would probably only have to include Lavert, Allen and some picks. Kyrie won't be pouting not having ball all the time so get rid of distraction and his injuries the last few years plus his behaviour aren't the best.
C'mon Nets, do it, then sign Ibaka and have OKC reunion.

Reply #821594 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd get rid of Kyrie. Seems divisive to me.

Reply #821605 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KOC:

Brooklyn are throwing the kitchen sink in the Harden Trade. All the future picks, all pick swaps + Dinwiddie and Levert
Daryl Morey will offer more than just Ben Simmons in the Harden trade, but Tilman Fertitta won't trade Harden to Morey

Reply #821620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This won't make Brooklyn that much better.
Durant at 32 coming off serious injury.
Harden a ball hog.
Irving with injuries and other problems.

Reply #821621 | Report this post

Revolutional update of captcha recognition package "XRumer 19.0 + XEvil":

Captcha recognition of Google (ReCaptcha-2 and ReCaptcha-3), Facebook, BitFinex, Bing, Hotmail, SolveMedia, Yandex,
and more than 12000 another subtypes of captcha,
with highest precision (80..100%) and highest speed (100 img per second).
You can use XEvil 5.0 with any most popular SEO/SMM programms: iMacros, XRumer, SERP Parser, GSA SER, RankerX, ZennoPoster, Scrapebox, Senuke, FaucetCollector and more than 100 of other software.

Interested? You can find a lot of demo videos about XEvil in YouTube.

Free XEvil Demo available.

Good luck ;)

Reply #821622 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I would definitely take Harden over Kyrie

Reply #821623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harden is a generational type talent that comes ever 20 to 30 years noway Houston will just let him walk with that garbage offer. I think Ben Simmons will get shipped to Houston and Harden will reunite with Morey

Reply #821644 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

It'd be hilarious if Kyrie orchestrated his way to Brooklyn, only to get traded to Houston to make way for Harden! :D

Reply #821645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harden to the Celtics is the hottest rumour

Reply #821704 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:45 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754