Cram
Years ago

2020 NBA Draft

Thursday Morning 11:30am AEDST.

The draft itself is a weak one, but there's likely to be a bunch of other moves as teams have virtually no time to start getting their 20-21 rosters together.

Number one thing to look out for: NBA broadcasters trying to pronounce Illawarra (and how often it gets mentioned, despite the NBL management picking this time to get rid of it).

Are there any other Aussies aside from Green who are a chance to get picked up? Even outside shots?

Topic #47775 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Draftwise only Green I think.

Will be interesting to see if Magnay and Landale score deals.

Reply #821548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale is a free agent

Reply #821550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so is Magnay

Reply #821552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Froling and Kouat Noi are outside chances at late 2nd round.

Reply #821553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very late

Reply #821554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Froling can be eligible for 2 more years

Reply #821557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2021 draft will be worth watching with Giddey, Ķing and Makur Maker all possible picks.

As for another rank outsider in this draft how about Matur Maker, he has appeared on some big boards.

Reply #821565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no way Froling or Noi get drafted.

Reply #821599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not this year for Froling.
Would a third round of draft be feasible in regards to be just draft and stash. Not just nbl but Euro clubs would benefit.

Reply #821603 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Did they leave their names in the draft pool or withdraw?
You only get one run through.

Reply #821604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will this be broadcast on League Pass?

Reply #821615 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I think I saw an email that said NBL TV was broadcasting it too? I could be wrong, was one of those emails you just delete...

Reply #821619 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Sorry to go all koberulz, but because Froling left college last year, his name automatically goes into the draft this year. This is his only chance (if you can really call it a 'chance'...).

Reply #821668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Green is projected 15-25
Noi, Froling projected to miss out.

Next year,

Giddey 15-25
Maker 20-30
King 25-35

Reply #821670 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Not sure why everyone is so big on Sam Frolling? Can someone explain for me? I have his ceiling somewhere around Mark Worthington.

Reply #821722 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Aside from being completely different players that's an insult to Wortho, he'll be lucky if he ends up being half as good as Wortho was.

Wortho was a 6'8" PF with the skills of a SF, Sam Froling is a 7'0" back to the basket centre who has shown precisely SFA so far.

Reply #821724 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That was Chris Anstey on TV news, last nite.
'If Ball is gonna go pick 1 or 2 this draft, then Giddey will 1 next draft.'

Reply #821725 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am not saying Wortho was bad - he was pretty good. BUT he was not an NBA player.

Reply #821727 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Should we just put all the draft day deals in here?

The Rockets just moved Ariza and the 6 pick to Detroit for a future first rounder in a cap clearing move for the Rockets.

I'd say there's a decent chance Ariza ends up being bought out and could then be an option for a team like the Bucks looking to fill out their bench.

Reply #821730 | Report this post

Truth Seeker  
Years ago

RJ Hampton

New Zealand Breakers guard

Yay!

Reply #821731 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

NBL number one! We did it guys.

Reply #821736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know why RJ Hampton was crying?

Reply #821737 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wolves: Edwards (!?)
Warriors: Wiseman
Hornets: Ball

Maybe Edwards was trying to tank his value to avoid the Wolves, but they didn't buy it?

Reply #821738 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

Where is RJ expected to get drafted?

Reply #821739 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think he was projected between 7 and 15

Reply #821740 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Green goes at 18. Dedicated thread here

Meanwhile, Rubio traded from OKC to the Wolves with a mix of picks involved.

Clippers trade Shamet to Nets for 19th pick. Pistons also involved with Kennard going to the Clippers.

Reply #821744 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Anyone know why RJ Hampton was crying?"

I think we know why now. The NBL posted it like "yay, NBA DRAFT FEELS" but these guys have intel of where they are going.

RJ would have expected to be a lottery pick and was certainly projected as that before Next Stars. He comes here, averages modest numbers and is being lapped by guys who scored double that against kids, many will go on to flip burgers after their college careers end.

Looks like he wont make the top 20, and the lower the number gets, the more work he's going to have to do to keep a roster spot, and the lower pay.

I might be crying too. Next Stars may have worked a treat for LaMelo but I think maybe it failed RJ.

Reply #821747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So much for the LaMelo #1. Weak draft IMO.

Reply #821751 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

RJ Hampton comes in at 24. And I agree with ESPN, the NBL probably makes him more NBA ready but averaging basic numbers here hurt his draft stock.

Be interesting if any top prospects really look over here again. I mean, look at what happened to Terry Armstrong. The guy, even when healthy, never got to see what the basketball court felt like here.

I'd say LaMelo benefitted, and every other prospect lost out.

Reply #821754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope we see more draft and stash players come here.

Reply #821755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LaMelo's stint in the NBL was good for him terrible for the hawks and league.

RJ - Did well and fitted what a real team/club should do with a young kid whilst still trying to win games.

Armstrong - Wasn't good enough to effect winning (neither was Melo/RJ) and was on a roster that actually wanted to win NBL games which is the aim of the NBL after all

Reply #821756 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

RJ Hampton I think is on his way to Denver if im not mistaken? Drafted by the Bucks but I think it goes to Denver.

Reply #821758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

utah pick at 27 was late 2nd or not
get draft

Reply #821759 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yes Craig to Denver, would be pretty good there. That said he looked totally gutted and it really puts a cloud over the Next program. Also terrance ferguson joining Ben in Philly.

Reply #821760 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Josh Richardson to Dallas. Seth Curry to the 76ers.

Reply #821761 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Joshuapending the Nuggets got their starting Point Guard of the future so explains why he is gutted. But lets be honest I dont see starting PG level talent in him anyway.

Reply #821762 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

So no Patty to Philly as was rumoured a while ago.

Reply #821763 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Terrance Ferguson traded to Philly in the Danny Green trade for Al Horford.

Reply #821764 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'd say there's a decent chance Ferguson gets cut. He's still young so will likely hang on somewhere, if not Philly. But he'll need to show something soon.

Reply #821765 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Justinian JEssup, Hawks new Next Star, just got drafted 51st. He will be draft and stash

Reply #821768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to Ball and RJ, excellent results and a special well done to Green. The nbl is a good place to stash these young guys and both Ball and RJ have tremendous up side. Hope to see a few more this season.

Reply #821769 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It would be a good draft for this country if we can sneak in Kouat Noi or Sam Frolling for one of those last picks

Reply #821770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME. Lmao.

Reply #821771 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I didn't think there was much of a talent gap between Ball and Hampton from their play during the NBL. I think Denver will be very pleased with Hampton. Only time will tell obviously.

Reply #821773 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

If RJ can't keep an NBA job then at least he knows he will be welcomed back to the NBL.

I really feel for the guy, though - he played in a much tougher league than most of those picked above him.

I don’t see him ever being a superstar, but he’ll always be a great guy to have coming off the bench to support the superstars. Sadly, that will most likely mean he’ll be traded a lot over his time in the NBA.

Reply #821774 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I really feel for the guy, though - he played in a much tougher league than most of those picked above him.

1. NBA scouts like many Americans have always significantly overrated the NCAA when the vast majority of college players will never be good enough to play pro basketball.

2. They also have the gambler's mentality of wanting to bet low on an 'unproven' player where as Hampton is 'proven' having played against men last season and in their eyes 'struggled' i.e. tried to fit in/deferred to already established star players on his team unlike LaMelo who was handed the keys to his team and IMO, genuinely struggled.

Hampton will have a longer NBA career than LaMelo.

Reply #821775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ this is laughable

Reply #821776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both RJ and Ball should have excellent careers.

Reply #821780 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"I really feel for the guy, though - he played in a much tougher league than most of those picked above him."

It goes both ways. Tre Jones 41 and Cassius Winston 53 were both dominate players in College. Either of those players would be great in the NBL

Reply #821781 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"^ this is laughable"

But nonetheless correct.

Reply #821783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If PlaymakerMo thinks its correct it's totally laughable and false

Reply #821784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks NS Justinian Jessup drafted in 2nd round effectively making him a draft and stash.

Reply #821785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams are going to regret letting Hampton slip that far. He won't be a superstar but he is going to be solid. He is an elite athlete who has improved his 3 ball big time and scouts are underrating the tough situation he was in. I am 100% sure he is better prepared than many of the collegiate athletes, especially mentally, after being in a stacked and volatile Breakers squad with Euro coaches.

Something perhaps for the NBL to consider is restricting Next Stars to the weaker teams. These teams get attention, sponsor dollars, and the Next Stars get game time, shots and positive highlight tape. The Kings, Wildcats, Breakers simply don’t need Next Stars.

Reply #821793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Wildcats deserve a next star

Reply #821800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quite a few guys there that could be stashed here.

Reply #821806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Wildcats deserve a next star" Maybe but add that players amount of salary to the Cats salary cap and just be anohther $100K over. Don't worry Cotton will naturalise and they will have to pay more for him as well. Keep on paying over the cap and no penalty.

Reply #821820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What salary cap

Reply #821825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see 3 Next Stars drafted! Would Giddey be in the frame to be drafted next year?

Reply #821833 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Giddey is projected as a late 1st for 2021 draft.
2021 is meant to be be a much strong draft then this years.

Reply #821852 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What salary cap

Don't you know? It's the fictional salary cap which the Wildcats are fictionally over which gives anons a coping measure to deal with our success and domination of the league.

Reply #821876 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

https://nbl.com.au/news/explaining-the-nbl-salary-cap-system

Reply #821878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Giddey is projected as a late 1st for 2021 draft."

Wasn't Ball similar or worse? I can see Giddey being at least in the lottery if he has a few big games.

Reply #821904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The arrogance of Perthworld says it all.

Reply #821906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

delly maker bowen are free agents

Reply #822003 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:02 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754