Anonymous
Years ago

Thon Maker to the Cavs

He'll be the third Aussie in the Cavs lineup.

A Cavs vs Sixers game will draw 6 Australians!

Topic #47811 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hang on it's a training camp contract he's got to make the team yet.

https://cavaliersnation.com/2020/11/28/report-cavs-agree-to-deal-with-thon-maker/

Same as the training camp contract Broekhoff got with Philly.

Reply #822881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Training camp, don't see him in the nba. It’s not bagging him he’s just not that good.

Reply #822898 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Thon Maker has a lot of the physical attributes of an NBA player but lacks any discernible skill that would put him above anyother player in the same position. If you think about it, this was the best deal available to him and that's why he took it, and it's merely a training camp invite. For a guy that's been in and around the NBA since 2016 you'd have to say this is a warning shot at Thon's NBA prospects. There's no shame in him coming to Australia, continuing to develop, and trying his hand at it again in 2-3 years. But I'd be surprised if he made the Cav's roster off of this.

Reply #822901 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I would be surprised if he makes their roster too they already had Drummond at the 5 and just traded for JaVale McGee so he's fighting it out to be the third string centre.

Reply #822905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Injuries could help him but other than height not lot happening.

Reply #822912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broekhoff is now contracted to Philadelphia

Reply #822921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Aussies at the Cleveland Cavaliers will be in the Nbl soon

Reply #822923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Cleveland Cavaliers will be in the NBL soon

Reply #822924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what if the Aussies in Cavaliers are nbl bound down the track.
They're still superior to us forum no hopers.

Reply #822925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Us mug punters are still allowed opinions, Maker has been talked up as the next superstar for seasons for not much, yes you are right we are all spuds compared the the nba guys but our wage packet is also minute compared to there's.

Reply #822935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In 2 or 3 years time he'll be 42.
The guy I really feel sorry for is Ed Smith, poor guy has lost millions in future contracts. Now he's going to have to go out and find another poor meal ticket for him to sponge off. He should be sitting back and taking it easy. Poor guy.

Reply #822936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The try hard age jokes reak of racism.

Reply #822938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Met the guy before, really nice bloke. Hope he does well this season.

Reply #822939 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"So what if the Aussies in Cavaliers are nbl bound down the track.
They're still superior to us forum no hopers."

I really hate this 'oh they're better than YOU' argument. They should be better than us - they're professional basketball players worth millions of dollars. But do you know why they make millions of dollars? Because of people like us and our opinions of them.

Reply #822940 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Apart from some fleeting glimpses of being able to play defense, he's been really disappointing. No feel for the game, bad hands, terrible rebounder. Kevin Garnett worked with him a lot and called him a future MVP. That's a lot of pressure on a young player.

He should be playing centre but he's too slight to bang with the big centres and has a bad feel for the game to be calling out defensive structures on the court. Playing PF won't work either as he has an average shot, can't play face up, create his own shot or put the ball on the floor.

If he was a good defensive centre you could play around those shortcomings but he's not. He'll either be an end of the bench player or out of the league.

Reply #822944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^And in 10 years time the majority will be bankrupt or on minimum wage, especially those who didn't go to college and earn a degree. Taxes, agents, lavish lifestyles and hangers on will turn million dollar contracts to not much unless they are smart.
Do you really think nbl players retire and not have to work a day in their lives?

Reply #822945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thon maker ain't a meal ticket and his bro won't be either.

Smith "helped" them get to the NBA bu both had genetics/work ethic to make it this far.

Unfortunately both Maker bro's will be broke and end up in the NBL to scratch out a living before working at Culture kings playing NBL1 after the career is all said and done.

Reply #822948 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Thon is still young enough to make a go of it (stop with the age jokes). And if he falls out of the Cavs before the season he will get a gig in NBL or Europe and will have a few years within which to get back to the NBA. I wouldn't go and say he's over but he's definitely still a project at this point. He may never really get it together but he's still only a year older than most rookies.

Reply #822950 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Maker is, in theory, a stretch five, and he shot a decent but not great 34.4% from three last season. The problem is he's not strong enough to be a good defender or score inside much, it’s all about the shooting. In Cleveland, he would be on the end of the bench and lightly used (unless Drummond or McGee is traded) if he makes the team.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/11/29/thon-maker-agrees-to-training-camp-deal-in-cleveland/

Reply #822953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cant he just be a pf

Reply #822955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My count of Aussies in the NBA is 11.
Includes Maker.

Reply #823660 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:31 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754