So he won't play at the Olympics?

Reply #823093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah no olympics

Reply #823096 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Brings to end the career of one of greatest ever basketball exports. He knew it was time and he's left the game before his standard of play really dropped.

As for the Boomers it's a definite loss. There are things Bogut can do that our other options can't.

Reply #823099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This time last year he would have thought he had a very real chance of the perfect career curtains - NBL championship and an Olympic medal.

Reply #823100 | Report this post

D.Joyce87  
Years ago

Alright let's hear it - all hoopers born in or anywhere near 1965-1985 all adore the Grey Mamba and could never really put anyone above him for nostalgic reasons. His "flat and droopy" breakfast ad was ICONIC, as are his signature kicks.

But once and for all, lay all bias, sentimental stuff aside.

Male Aussie Hoopers, who do you rank as Australia's 1, 2, 3. Please no stupid Yank "Mt Rushmore", we in Straya, let's just say best 3 hoopers in terms of

-achievements in international play, all leagues they played in
-their influence on the game in this country

I'm going

1. Andrew Bogut
2. Andrew Gaze
3. Patty Mills

Reply #823101 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Congratulations on a tremendous career. Best Australian basketballer ever? Have to be between him and LJ surely?

Reply #823102 | Report this post

D.Joyce87  
Years ago

I said male, it's hard enough to compare generations but gender as well just makes it complicated.

Reply #823103 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Never been a massive fan, but had a great career nonetheless and it will be a shame he doesn't get one more chance to chase that elusive medal in Tokyo.

Tough to pick a top 3 so I'll put Bogut, Gaze, Longley and Lauren Jackson together with no particular order. They all excelled in different areas, Longley achieving the 3 NBA Rings, Bogut being one of the best Aussies to compete at the highest level in the NBA and internationally, Gaze for what he's done in Australia not to mention an NBA ring himself, and Lauren Jackson for putting Womens basketball on the map in Australia and her success in the NBA and internationally.

Reply #823104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes a very big congratulations to Andrew Bogut, magnificent career, should have had a medal except for a few bad calls. Best Australian male player and imo only second to Jackson in the Australian pecking order.

Reply #823105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze
Jackson
Mills

Reply #823106 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

@D.Joyce87

Sorry mate, looks like I posted a couple of seconds after you. I have no drama at all with your list. I might put Patty at the top, just because he is such a legend of a human being.

Reply #823107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Longley.

Three rings and actually played in big moments.

Reply #823108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to him in the future....gave back to Aust Basketball by playing in the NBl the last couple of seasons when clearly not at his best but had such a profile and career in the NBA it really helped the Kings build the brand in the new nbl

Reply #823109 | Report this post

D.Joyce87  
Years ago

I see all the announcements and kind of feel funny with the "one of" disclaimers LOL.

It's like his off court persona affects people's willingness to give him the credit he rightfully deserves for what he achieved as a player.

Like, almost as if Drewy and Balapat will always be ranked ahead of him for being "seemingly" nicer/less controversial humans LOL.

I'm not asking you to rank them on Mr Congeniality folks, we talkin bout practice LOL, I mean hoopin.

Reply #823110 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Congratulations on a tremendous career. Best Australian basketballer ever? Have to be between him and LJ surely?"

You can't judge men and women's basketball in the same category, you just cant. Lauren Jackson dominated in women's basketball but wouldn't have even made it to the end of an NBL bench if she were playing against men. You cant put someone who could not possibly compete in the same competitions above all the ones who did and could. Greatest female player? Sure. But they were playing in competitions with vastly different standards.

As for top 3 Australian players, I'd probably prefer to go deeper than that and give more credit. But I also will upset people by not putting Gaze in all that high. He was a great player, but if we're talking about comparative competitions and actually WINNING things, Gaze played only meaningful minutes in the NBL, kind of was a passenger in the NBA and only won two NBL championships despite having often the best line up in the league beside him.

1) Andrew Bogut (Ben Simmons will surpass him here)
2) Patty Mills
3) Joe Ingles
4) Andrew Gaze
5) Aron Baynes

Reply #823111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In terms of best ever Aussie hoopers, had injuries not struck Bogut would have been challenging very hard for top spot. He was a genuine two-way player in the world's best club comp, and showed in 2008 and 2016 how effective he was at the highest level.

Not sure where he sits given so much of his career was robbed from him. But certainly Bogut, Gaze, Longley, Mills, Simmons and Palubinskas stand out thinking off the top of head.

Reply #823112 | Report this post

D.Joyce87  
Years ago

Longley v Bogut

NBA Games 567 to 706 - Bogut
PPG 7.2 to 9.6 - Bogut
RPG 4.9 to 8.7 - Bogut
APG 1.5 to 2.2 - Bogut
Rings 3 to 1 - Longley
All Rookie 0 to 1 - Bogut
All Defense 0 to 1 - Bogut
All NBA 0 to 1 - Bogut
Lead league in Blocks 0 to 1 - Bogut

How you gon say Longley > Bogut LOL

Reply #823113 | Report this post

D.Joyce87  
Years ago

@ME

You are dead on re: men vs vomen. It's a really silly comparison.

Respect and acknowledge all your points re: Gaze though respectfully disagree.

I don't think we can judge his "only 2 chips" with the loaded Copeland/Bradtke years, and then sort of ignore his crazy output in the bush league years as well. Them be video game stats he was posting LOL.

If those games had been televised, or be on highlight reels, maybe we could truly appreciate his greatness and just what 80s era Drewy could do.

I feel his NCAA run is also a little overlooked as well, as well as even sniffing the NBA in a generation where international players were still pretty much taboo-ish.

And I too am guilty of rating him so high due to his persona LOL.

But he has to be way up there.

And I think we can refrain from the "Simmons will surpass Bogut" narrative. I'm sure he will - but let's wait for that to happen in due time without robbing Bogut of credit for what he already DID.

Reply #823115 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Farewell to a legend of Australian bball

A bit of unfinished business, and a disappointment that COVID ruined the last chance of this great group- Bogut/Baynes/Ingles/Mills/Delly- who got so, so, so close in 2016 and 2019.

Australia's greatest NBA player, but you do get the feeling Simmons will take that mantle over the next few years.

Given overall impact on Boomers and in the NBA, I've gotta put Bogut ahead of Gaze.

Both champions of course and Drewy a far better bloke!

Reply #823116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we put an asterisk next to Bogut's title? The Warriors only won because he gave them no choice but to bench him.

Reply #823118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackson
Longley
Mills
Taylor
Bogut
Simmons {will end up above Mills and maybe also Longley}
Gaze

Reply #823119 | Report this post

D.Joyce87  
Years ago

Stop it with the Longley stuff LOL.

We're comparing individual accolades, not the sliding door moments that led one lucky fella to land in Michael Jordan's team LOL.

If Bill Cartwright was Aussie, would he be "better" than Bogut? LOL.

Being the 1st option of the Bulls timeshare centre spot, wrestling it away from Perdue and Wennington is NOT a greater accolade than being a legitimate No. 1 draft pick, All Rookie, All NBA, All Defense.

Don't hate, appreciate.

Reply #823120 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Gaze overcame the Wildcats, Bogut didn't.

Reply #823122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First of all isn't mt Rushmore 4 not 3.

I'm all for acknowledging great women basketballers but this thread happens to rank the males.

Let's stop adding Simmons.....for now until he at least builds up some accolades.

Bogut
Gaze
Mills
Ingles.

Reply #823123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, Longley was only good at bulls because of his passing skills and defence on the big centres back the. Was rubbish in Minnesota, cashed in at Phoenix and showed he was terrible. Bogut way way better than him and would have flourished in the triangle.
I still think he will get his body right and if Olympics go ahead, a phone call from Brian will be enough to get him back. Showed his body couldn't last an NBL season this past season and would have been held together with sticky tape for Tokyo. Full year off and come back to play some quality backup minutes would be ideal. And even he wouldn't have been arrogant enough to say I'm done with basketball, but I'll play Olympics.

Reply #823124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Longley stood tall when it counted. Bogut shat the bed.

Reply #823125 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Jackson
Longley
Mills
Taylor
Bogut
Simmons {will end up above Mills and maybe also Longley}
Gaze"

Absolute lunacy. 1 on 1 Andrew Gaze would have smoked Lauren Jackson. Playing against eachother on different teams Andrew Gaze would have smoked Lauren Jackson. This is like comparing a social league player to an NBA player - the standard of competition in women's basketball is much, much lower than the standard the guys were playing against, so how you can rank Lauren Jackson as a player higher than these men is beyond me. It's almost as if you people do it to get a warm fuzzy feeling about equality. But there is no equality in sport. Some players are objectively better than others and can play against tougher competition, and is as much as that is true, Lauren Jackson is probably somewhere in the Brendan Teys conversation for best Aussie players.

Reply #823128 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

With the parameters that D. Joyce posted;

"let's just say best 3 hoopers in terms of - achievements in international play, all leagues they played in - their influence on the game in this country"..

I can't leave out David Anderson. I know that he is not a household-talking-point but he has an enourmous number of chips internationally, over a vey long time.

Of course, 1 of those parameters is "best 3 hoopers", only 3. So in your original list, I would (unhappily) relegate Patty to the bench, in this one, for D.A. Only based on actual, basketball achievements.

To Bogues, Congrats on everything, and I, for 1, am eagerly awaiting your change of mind on Tokyo Olympics. You deserve to be there for that 1st medal. Even as a 10 man off the bench, just be there! Go as an AC, your leadership isn't affected by your body's woes!

Reply #823130 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Mills ahead of Bogut for mine.

I'm unable to provide a subjective opinion on the Mills Vs Gaze questions but they're both ahead of Bogut for full career achievements when international play is included.

Reply #823131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rings
Longley 3, Bogut 1 (and received a number of DNPs)

Three is more than one. Simples.

Reply #823133 | Report this post

D.Joyce87  
Years ago

He shat on your comment bro by playing significantly more games than Longley, and achieving significantly more in individual accolades.

Only in Straya will you get so much tall poppy that a journeyman who played with Jordan is considered "better" than someone who was

-drafted before Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Danny Granger
-lived up to that pick by being selected All Rookie alongside Paul, Williams, Villanueva, Frye
-led the league in blocked shots
-was recognised as one of the best 10 defenders in the league along with Leonard, Green, Jordan, Allen, Paul, Davis, Duncan, Butler, Wall
-whichever way you slice it, was recognisd as one of the Top 15 players, or 3rd best centre in the league, behind Howard and Stoudamire

but yeah ok, the guy who beat out Will Perdue and Bill Wennington for the token white guy in the middle spot for the Bulls is better.

Don't hate, levitate

Reply #823134 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Luc Longley was a solid role player for one of the greatest teams of all time. But we cannot pretend that he had nearly as much skill or as many tools as Bogut had. Bogut was more mobile, tougher, better defender, better passer, arguably a draw on shooting, Bogut could play point-center and run a fast break. I mean there isn't too many areas of the game where Luc Longley is even equal to Bogut at.

But having said that much, Longley is slightly underrated by the general public, mainly because they tend to think if you're only a role player, you suck. Longley certainly didn't suck. But he was not as good or as versatile as Andrew Bogut.

Reply #823138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe people still use rings to compare Longley and Bogut.
All due respect to Longley but Bogut is significantly better.

The ring argument has a Robert Horry/ David Stiff feel to it.

Reply #823140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Point-centre LOL!!

Reply #823142 | Report this post

D.Joyce87  
Years ago

Longley didn't suck at all. You don't earn MJ/Pip's/Jackson's respect and trust and keep that gig, and win, if you suck.

But he did what he did "well enough" to keep his job.

There isn't much argument though that many other bit players (Perdue, Wennington, Cartwright) could fill that role and keep the Bulls system ticking.

Reply #823143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze, Dellavedova, Baynes and Mills all have same amount of rings as Bogut.

But that's ok hoops logic Longley has 3 therefore he must be better.

Reply #823144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Longley was on more great teams but individually Bogut's best was well above Longley's best.
But Cambage's best is well above Bogut's best. 3 x All Star, MVP Runner Up, and league all time single game scoring record holder. Sorry Bogut but you never came anywhere near any of those.
Jackson
Cambage
Simmons
Bogut
Longley
Mills

Reply #823145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd rather have three rings than one bro.

Reply #823148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still a childish statement "bro.

95% of forum users would rate Bogut over Longley.

Reply #823149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut was so good he only went to the playoffs once in his career before joining the Warriors.

Reply #823150 | Report this post

D.Joyce87  
Years ago

One more time for the dummies

We are rating Best Australian Basketball with male genitalia only

Reply #823152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#145 What has Simmons done to be your best ever male? That's just ridiculous. He has done nothing yet.

Reply #823156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons is already better than Bogut at his peak

Reply #823159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While Jackson and Cambage are two of the best female basketballers of all time, neither are up there as the best basketballers Australia has produced. No need to be crude, just very obviously facts of the matter.

Reply #823160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#159 it might be time to ask your parents to change the internet password

Reply #823161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those who don't have Lauren Jackson on their Mt Rushmore are clearly sexist

Reply #823162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Longley is the greatest as he has 3 rings.

Reply #823163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lauren is clearly the best Australian female basketballer. One of the best female basketballers the world has ever seen. She is not one of the best Australian basketballers though. The mens and womens games are totally different. Even at her peak she would have been destroyed by NBL big men.

It's not sexist to admit the obvious. It is sexist to deny it though.

Reply #823165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#160 That's very naive when it comes to Jackson

4× WNBL MVP (1999, 2000, 2003, 2004)
4× WNBL Grand Final MVP (2002, 2003, 2006, 2010)
5× WNBL All-Star (1999-2004)
7× WNBA All-Star (2001–2003, 2005–2007, 2009)
3× WNBA MVP (2003, 2007, 2010)
2× WNBA champion (2004, 2010)
3× WNBA scoring champion (2003, 2004, 2007)
WNBA Finals MVP (2010)
WNBA rebounding champion (2007)
WNBA Defensive Player of the Year Award (2007)
7× All-WNBA First Team (2003–2007, 2009, 2010)
All-WNBA Second Team (2008)
2× All-Defensive First Team (2007, 2009)
3× All-Defensive Second Team (2005, 2008, 2010)
3× WNBA Peak Performer (2003, 2004, 2007)
WNBA's All-Decade Team (2006)
WNBA's Top 15 Team (2011)
WNBA Top 20@20 (2016)
Women's Korea Basketball League MVP (2007)
No. 15 retired by Seattle Storm
Australian Basketball Hall of Fame (2019)

Reply #823166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not naive its honest. All those accolades are against female basketballers. The men's game is of higher standard at NBA vs WNBA, Olympics, World Championsips, NBL v WNBL etc....

It's naive to say a WNBA MVP is equal to an NBA one.

Reply #823169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Career highs
Bogut, Simmons
Pts 32, 34
Reb 27, 22
Ast 8, 17
Stl 4, 7
Blk 9, 4

Career averages
Bogut, Simmons
Pts 9.6, 16.4
FG% .53, .56
Reb 8.7, 8.3
Ast 2.2, 8.0
Stl 0.6. 1.7
Blk 1.5, 0.8

already better

Reply #823170 | Report this post

D.Joyce87  
Years ago

No. of people who watch, support and care about Men's Basketball = X
No. of people who watch, support and care about Women's Basketball = circa 5% of X

No doubting LJ, but it's not what we're discussing.

Reminds me heaps of ol' mate Shane Heal now all over social media promoting how we 'need to back women's basektball more than ever'.

Well yeah mate, of course you would want it to skyrocket in popularity, your gal's your family's cash cow now LOL.

Where was that passion before your daughter was playing?

Reply #823171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ugh the sexism is real in here. Lauren is the greatest. End. Of. Story.

Reply #823172 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

I don't disagree Bogut and others have contributed meaningfullyin NBA but discounting Gaze because he only played NBL is not right either.

Gaze is 2nd all time scorer at Olympic Games and while USA have had much better players that don't turn up for every Olympic games, some good NBA players for other countries do.... Gasol, Scola, Ginobili etc, so Gaze is able to hold his own against top quality opposition (offensively atleast)

Reply #823174 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

I don't disagree Bogut and others have contributed meaningfullyin NBA but discounting Gaze because he only played NBL is not right either.

Gaze is 2nd all time scorer at Olympic Games and while USA have had much better players that don't turn up for every Olympic games, some good NBA players for other countries do.... Gasol, Scola, Ginobili etc, so Gaze is able to hold his own against top quality opposition (offensively atleast)

Reply #823175 | Report this post

D.Joyce87  
Years ago

It's more reverse sexism than anything else.

Go on any other sport forums, be it AFL, League, Soccer, Boxing, MMA, Cricket

if they're discussing their sport's male GOAT, I doubt it deviates then all of a sudden the female GOAT is thrown in the discussion.

Reply #823176 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Anon 170, you forgot to include stats for Seasons played and international games played

Reply #823177 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Years ago

Is that Daniel Joyce posting? Sick player.

Well farewell to Bogut. He could have been an NBA all star if he hadn't got hurt. F that guy who undercut him, what a dog move. Bogut was one of the best screeners in the NBA for a while, he knew all the tricks lol.

Reply #823178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just have a separate thread or list for those who want to discuss LJ, Cambage etc.

Bogut
Gaze if he was 20 now not 55 and just played a year at college would probably be an NBA draft pick.
Mills, Ingles, Longley and Simmons all not far behind. Simmons will of course move up but can't call a 24yo the GOAT

Reply #823179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#170 how does his college career compare? His Boomers career compare? It's the best Australian player ever. Gaze's international numbers will never be matched. Simmons has played 3 years in the NBA. He has achieved nothing. But he has a very nice 3 point stroke I must say.

Reply #823180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#169 how? She is only allowed to play against women you pillock

Reply #823181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When Simmons plays world cup or Olympics my respect for him will increase.

Reply #823182 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Gaze was unfortunately ahead of his time, so we can only speculate how he would have done in the NBA. Would have gone alright I reckon if he was in his prime today.

Sadly we can only speculate how good Bogut's career would have been if he hadn't smashed up his arm too. I'll always believe we were denied something pretty special. He still had very good run.
I'd probably have to rank him our #1 on the men's side right now.
Hopefully Simmons stays healthy enough to race past him and pick up a ring or two along the way.

Reply #823183 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'd say Simmons would be on the cusp of overtaking Bogut for career achievements if not for international team duty.

Both:
All rookie first team
#1 overall picks
All-NBA Third team

Simmons over Bogut
2 x All Star to 0
Rookie of the Year
All Defensive first team (Bogut made a second team)

Bogut over Simmons:
1 x NBA Championship
3 x Finals appearances
National College Player of the year
Boomers Career
NBA season leader in blocks

Reply #823184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Reverse sexism." Congratulations, you just lost the argument.

Reply #823188 | Report this post

Simmons all star appearances >>> Night's career accomplishments

Reply #823189 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Gaze was unfortunately ahead of his time, so we can only speculate how he would have done in the NBA. Would have gone alright I reckon if he was in his prime today."

100%. With his analytic friendly play (layups, free throws and 3s) he'd be a good secondary ball handler similar to an Ingles (though without Ingles' defensive ability. With bigger squads and more credit given to international players in this environment he'd certainly have gotten more opportunities. But again, its all just a big what if

Reply #823190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. Jackson
2. Bogut
3. Cambage
4. Gaze

Reply #823192 | Report this post

D.Joyce87  
Years ago

I don't think it's too much conjecture to speculate exactly how Gaze would have fared.

The man was killing it for Seton Hall against elite college players, at a time when college basketball meant something, and where future NBA stars played to prepare.

He just, based on the era he played in, didn't get a fair crack. But skill wise it's not in any way far fetched to presume he would have survived had the 80s been partial to international players, or had the NBL to NBA doors been as "real" as they are these days.

I think we also have to put significant weighting to all he did in the NBL in the 80s, as well as the Olympics/FIBA.

As well as the longevity and consistency well beyond his prime years.

Reply #823193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget the WNBL if that's the case. All players men and women play against each other in one super league. Can't wait to see the superstar Cambage dominate the plebs of the NBL.

Reply #823195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How pathetic has hoops forum become, this is a thread about bogut retiring, not who about squabbling like kids about who is the best ever bla bla,

Congrats on the stellar career Mate and wish you all the best in your future endeavours. Ps, your new podcast is legit!

Reply #823196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's hoops, have you never been here before #196.

Your post is more embarassing, talking like Bogut is reading this as his own communication to the fans. Mate.

Reply #823197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Been here plenty of times,

What's more embarrassing is you defending your own squabbling,

The thread title is not who is aus best player it’s about bogut retiring,

And Haven’t you ever been here before or posted a comment on YouTube ? No shit bogut ain’t reading it but it’s one way of showing my appreciation to a great athlete?

But let’s just go back to the kindergarten squabbling cos that’s what we’re really here for right mate?

Reply #823199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure he won't read this but well done Andrew.

You were a great player but my 4yo son said Longley has more rings.

Reply #823200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bill Russell the greatest basketballer of all time. The debate is over.

Reply #823201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lauren Jackson is the most successful SPORTS person in Australia. Only sexist misogynists will disagree that she is our best basketballer of all time.

Its not even close.

Reply #823204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's cool .
Bogut
Gaze
Mills
Simmons.

Reply #823205 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Forget the WNBL if that's the case. All players men and women play against each other in one super league. Can't wait to see the superstar Cambage dominate the plebs of the NBL.

Exactly. It's so sad how deluded these people are and now they love to hijack every GOAT thread.

Reply #823207 | Report this post

D.Joyce87  
Years ago

What this thread really needs is a soundtrack.

Maybe DJ Liz can drop a remix, I Am Woman, Hear Me Score (No Sammich For You)

if you down with that gender stuff, sing it loud and proud

I Am Strong (Strong)
I am Invincible (Invincible)
I am Woman...hear...me...SCORE

Reply #823208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh good one Djoyce

Reply #823209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Djoyce is my least favourite poster of all time.

Reply #823210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

210 is my least favorite.

Reply #823211 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Jason Cadee

Reply #823212 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Bogut(Longley) was so good he only went to the playoffs once (not even once) in his career before joining the Warriors (Bulls).

Thanks to both, and all of the above.

Reply #823213 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Lauren Jackson is the most successful SPORTS person in Australia. Only sexist misogynists will disagree that she is our best basketballer of all time.

Its not even close."

I'm a sexist misogynist then. She's successful, yes. But to say she's our best basketballer of all time is to say you believe she could perform better than other players in the same or higher competitions. No, she absolutely, unequivocally, could not.

"4× WNBL MVP (1999, 2000, 2003, 2004)
4× WNBL Grand Final MVP (2002, 2003, 2006, 2010)
5× WNBL All-Star (1999-2004)
7× WNBA All-Star (2001-2003, 2005–2007, 2009)
3× WNBA MVP (2003, 2007, 2010)
2× WNBA champion (2004, 2010)
3× WNBA scoring champion (2003, 2004, 2007)
WNBA Finals MVP (2010)
WNBA rebounding champion (2007)
WNBA Defensive Player of the Year Award (2007)
7× All-WNBA First Team (2003–2007, 2009, 2010)
All-WNBA Second Team (2008)
2× All-Defensive First Team (2007, 2009)
3× All-Defensive Second Team (2005, 2008, 2010)
3× WNBA Peak Performer (2003, 2004, 2007)
WNBA's All-Decade Team (2006)
WNBA's Top 15 Team (2011)
WNBA Top 20@20 (2016)
Women's Korea Basketball League MVP (2007)
No. 15 retired by Seattle Storm
Australian Basketball Hall of Fame (2019)"

That's an awesome resume but they're all achievements in vastly inferior leagues playing against vastly inferior competition. I don't think anyone would say she isn't an absolute beast in her own right but it's not fair to compare her to the men. It just isn't. It's apples and oranges. She should be respected within her own field for what she did, but not brought out against beings that are more athletic, stronger, taller, quicker and expect to be compared to them. It is an injustice for both parties.

Reply #823214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robt, but of a difference between a three year dry spell, and a decade of only one playoff appearance, especially for a number one draft pick.

Reply #823215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are we forgetting Cambage? And still performing at an elite level!

Reply #823216 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Robt, but of a difference between a three year dry spell, and a decade of only one playoff appearance, especially for a number one draft pick."

One player rarely makes a team a playoff team. You can't use team success as the only way to discern who is the better player. The reason Luc Longley was on successful teams is part luck, and part because he was very good at a limited number of things. He could be a big body, rebound, play admirable defense, pass, and make a lay up. Simple as that. He was the type of personality that was never going to get too big for his boots or ruffle feathers. They threw him into the game to eat the glass and that's what he did.

But he was a limited player at NBA level. He showed glimmers of potential for more in college but all in all, he was a limited player with a few strengths, and it just so happened those strengths were all the Bulls required of him.

Even in Bogut's role for the Warriors he showed much more versatility than Longley ever had. Bogut is, simply, a more skilled player.

Reply #823218 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I've changed my mind.

Gaze still the GOAT!

Reply #823224 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Seems fitting that a Bogut-honouring thread be filled with cross-purpose bickering and trolling.

Reply #823227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top 6 australian basketballers of all time in no particular order. I think the top 6 is clearer than top 4:

Jackson
Gaze
Cambage
Longley
Bogut
Mills

Reply #823228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can only beat what's in front of you, Jackson is not only the best basketballer from Australia probably the best sports person in an all international sport. Bogut next best Australian basketball play, both put a lot time into Australian teams. Simmons maybe one day but at present I’m lmao.

Reply #823230 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

or as otherwise known in contemporary society as "robust empirical debate" Isaac. :-)

Reply #823231 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"He could have been an NBA all star if he hadn't got hurt. F that guy who undercut him, what a dog move."

Spot on Cool Howie! That fuckwit who pushed him on the breakaway dunk was Amare Stoudemire. Truly a dog act that limited Bogut's career to elite role player, instead of NBA star.

People forget, but the year he mangled his arm, he was dominating most opponents on both ends. Earlier that season, against the Celtics frontcourt of KG, Perkins and Wallace, which went on to narrowly lose in the NBA finals that year, Bogut put up 25 pts, 14 reb, 5 ast, 2 blk.

Good career in the end, but ultimately it could have been so much more.

Reply #823232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"That's an awesome resume but they're all achievements in vastly inferior leagues playing against vastly inferior competition. I don't think anyone would say she isn't an absolute beast in her own right but it's not fair to compare her to the men. It just isn't. It's apples and oranges. She should be respected within her own field for what she did, but not brought out against beings that are more athletic, stronger, taller, quicker and expect to be compared to them. It is an injustice for both parties."

Inferior why? Because they are women's leagues??

Reply #823233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amare didn't push Bogut

Reply #823234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut had a good career but it might be a bit overrated.

Yes, he was the #1 pick, but I don't think he made one all star game? Ben Simmons already has a couple of appearances.

And yes he was part of a championship team, but that team was struggling versus a Cavs team missing Kyrie and love until they benched Bogut for iguodala. The change was so stark that iguodala won finals MVP.

Very solid career though and it was impressive how long he went considering the number of serious injuries he had to overcome.

Reply #823242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree that you can't compare male and female athletes. Males are genetically more powerful and thus have an advantage in physical pursuits such as sports.

There's nothing wrong with saying Lauren Jackson is Australia's best female athlete. But if she played in men's competitions she would not have been the best player. That seems quite logical to me.

Reply #823243 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Congratulations to Bogut for an amazing career.

This thread is should be able celebrating Bogut's career, not sure why it has to degrade into who is better etc.

Would have been great for him to go to Tokyo, but not to be.

It made for hard reading when Bogut listed how hard it was to just get out of bed in the mornings and the physical and mental anguish it caused.

He made the right decision for his body.

Reply #823244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You can only beat what's in front of you, Jackson is not only the best basketballer from Australia probably the best sports person in an all international sport. "

You can only beat what's in front of you? Come on mate, just have a think why we have separate male and female competitions to start with.

Based on the logic of only beating what's in front of you, I'm putting my hand up for GOAT consideration because I was the best player in my street growing up. Used to dominate in the drive way. Didn't get picked up by a NBL club, but that's out of my control I can only be judged on who was in front of me.

Reply #823245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How come when people compare Bogut and LJ, they say it comes down to skills (ie men are better than women) but when someone mentions Simmons is Australia's best ever player, it comes back to achievements?

Jackson is Australia's most decorated player ever, no question.

Reply #823246 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Inferior why? Because they are women's leagues??"

Have you ever watched womens basketball? Serious question.

Reply #823251 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Let me put it another way for you - you're making a basketball team from Australia across the entirety of time to play a game against the Monstars and if you lose, everyone gets abducted and enslaved.

You have 12 positions to fill... how many women are you sending there?

Yeah, thoughts so.

Reply #823252 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

No, wait, you'll shoehorn Lauren Jackson in because she has "accolades" as a 6'5 female centre.... lol give me a break.

I hope my little analogy helped get my point across.

Reply #823253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really because you're flip-flopping on the criteria all the time. Is it who would win a game of one on one, or is it who has achieved the most in their career?

If its the former, then its Mills or Simmons. If its the latter, its Jackson.

Reply #823254 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Well this isn't an "either/or" thing. When weighing up someone's achievements you have to look at the competition they played against, and for Lauren Jackson, the competition was much weaker than anything Gaze, Mills or Simmons compete against, and that has to be taken into account.

It's kind of like you have someone dominating SEABL for 20 years, how much do their awards matter when you're comparing them to NBA players?

Lauren Jackson would not have achieved what any of the guys on the list did in the NBL or NBA so holding her above them is frankly, ridiculous and laughable.

Comparing male and female basketball players is inherently unfair, and that's why they have separate competitions and that's why they should be listed separately when talking about the greats. Anything else is simply out of touch with objective reality.

Reply #823256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The person bringing up LJ constantly could just start a women's thread if they want to.

I respect all female sportswomen but I know for example Ash Barty wouldn't beat Nick Kyrios in a tennis match and yes she has achieved more than him but the point is men's and women's are a different level.

Reply #823257 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

^ Thank you. There's an estimated 1000 male tennis players who would beat Serena Williams. We have to all live in hotel reality.

Respect greatness though, because greatness is a mental attribute, and absolutely Lauren Jackson has it. But men and women are different, and have to be treated as such

Reply #823258 | Report this post

D.Joyce87  
Years ago

All I wanted to know was if people rated Bogut's career greater, lesser, or equal to that of one Sir Gaze.

And what I got was a lot of "I'm every woman, it's all in meeee"

*now you sing* woah, woah woah

Reply #823259 | Report this post

Dione  
Years ago

I mean Lola Bunny played against the Monstars...

Reply #823261 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Jarell Martin replaces Bogut at Kings -

26 years old, played 3 years with Memphis Grillzies. Looks like a great pick up

Link

Reply #823262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still say Gaze is the greatest.

Different era, NBA opportunities has changed over time and will continue to change.

But Gaze as a player, as a sportman, as a basketball identity beats out Bogut. Different styles, different positions, different skillsets.

But Gaze is the best we've ever produced.

Reply #823264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we get a log of all the info Hal's who have exposed themselves as sexist in this thread

Reply #823268 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"everything is sexist waaah!"

Reply #823271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME speaks a lot of common sense

Reply #823273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In deciding between Longley and Bogut, it might come down to who had the best sour grapes comment.

Longley: "every time we play them, they get kissed on the dick" - in response to the boomers having a couple of unlucky losses to Spain

Bogut: "Google where FIBA's headquarters are!" - in response to Australia's close loss to Spain. FIBA's headquarters are in Switzerland.

Reply #823274 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Longleys is true tho

Reply #823276 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Did Bogut mentioned anything about his stake in the Kings?

Reply #823290 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I first took notice of Bogut during the 2003 U19s. Suddenly supremely dominant. I'd never heard of him before that tournament. Within a year he was the Boomers starting centre.

From not making the Victoria U16 team, to being a Boomers starting centre 4 years later, is just mind-boggling. It shows his character, how he responds to adversity, his commitment to development. Followed him in Utah too, starting with Majerus completely shackling him, then taking the top honour in college hoops a year later. I felt like he was a player who excelled when given more responsibility; not necessarily a larger offensive role, but a leadership role.

In Milwaukee, just when he started to prove his worth as a number 1 pick, that injury. Permanent damage to his shooting elbow. He could've easily faded into oblivion after that kind of injury. Instead he uses his ambidexterity to shoot with his other hand. He hones his defensive skills to become one of the best defenders in the world. He becomes the best passing centre in the NBA.

The line earlier in the thread about Bogut only making the playoffs once before going to Golden State? Did they see Milwaukee back then? Did they see G State back then? Bogut was one of the most crucial ingredients in turning that franchise around. He was a culture-changing player for them, especially with the experience and maturity that he had gained by then.

It's really disappointing he won't make a 4th Olympics. It would've been fitting for Mills and Bogut to achieve that together, joining other Boomers greats Gaze, Heal and Vlahov (who else?) in participating in four Olympics.

As for Australia's best basketball player? Bogut is certainly Australia's best ever big man. Simmons is the most talented ever, for sure, the most impressive NBA regular season on paper. But for me it still doesn't make him the best. Mental toughness, consistency, will to win, and performance under pressure are vital attributes for a true champion. It's a tough call, and I might be biased, but that's where Gaze takes my number 1, just edging Bogut. Gaze always found a way to stamp his mark on a game. Always a factor. The Factor. Gaze was certainly limited by NBA teams giving him opportunities, but let's not forget that he also made a clear choice to stay in the NBL.

Reply #823320 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

@Perthworld I think I read somewhere a while back that he had offloaded his stake in the Kings, but a google search gives me absolutely no evidence of that being true.

Going to miss watching the big fella go around.

Reply #823330 | Report this post

D.Joyce87  
Years ago

Bored in the house, in the house bored

if I had to play the Monstars, using only Australian players, with one naturalised allowed, based on their NBA, NBL, other pro league, college, FIBA, Olympic accomplishments I am taking

PG: Simmons, Mills, Delly
SG: Gaze, Loggins
SF: Ingles, Ronaldson
PF: Bradtke, Andersen
C: Bogut, Baynes, Longley

Reply #823341 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"
PG: Simmons, Mills, Delly
SG: Gaze, Loggins
SF: Ingles, Ronaldson
PF: Bradtke, Andersen
C: Bogut, Baynes, Longley
"

I'd take Vlahov over Ronaldson personally but other than that I'd go to war with that team any day.

Reply #823344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm thinking Heal over Dellavedova.
Come at me haters.

Reply #823351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson ahead Bradtke

Reply #823354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100% Heal > Delly

I watched an out of shape Heal kill off prime NBA Patty at training before a Boomers game

Reply #823355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal or Gaze didn't defend. There's a reason why we never got close to a medal with those teams.

Reply #823356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal was a terrible defender. Steve Nash obliterated him at the 2000 Olympics as one notable example.

Reply #823357 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Heal or Gaze didn't defend. There's a reason why we never got close to a medal with those teams.

Ha they were both starters on two Olympic teams that lost in the Bronze Medal Games.

Reply #823371 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Firstly congrats to Bogut on a great career. I feel sorry that Covid robbed him of a last crack at a medal.

But as he said, when you can't push your kid on a swing without pain, you know its time to start thinking of your future health.

It's almost pointless to try to compare players across different eras, sports and Genders.
Few have dominated their sport as Bradman did.
Margaret Court achieved unparalleled success as a Female Athlete.
Jackson is clearly not a physical match for Bogut, but she did achieve more within her Gender.

Reply #824362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz keeping up with latest news.
Well done lad.

Reply #824392 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:47 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754