Anonymous
Years ago

NBL1 South 2021

NBL1 South 2021 Season. All 2020 teams have accepted invitation. No new teams.

22 game season, 17 weeks including 5 double headers commencing April 16th 2021.

Current COVID-19 restrictions mean only 75% capacity or 1000 spectators (or which is lesser)

Great news.

Topic #47855 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any clash with nbl ? Anyone know?

Reply #823894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most definitely a clash with NBL

Reply #823896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going to be a leveller. A lot of clubs will forego getting an NBL player now.

Reply #823954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting an NBL player will be all but impossible.

Reply #823965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't the NBL regular season be over about 3-4 weeks into this season?

Reply #823967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playoffs NBL June

Reply #823972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be May couldn't it? Regular season done by mid May, wrapped up early June?

Reply #823975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If as alluded to in the NZ Breakers article recently about their move to Melbourne, if it is a 36 game season then definitely June playoffs

Reply #823980 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

NBL1 isn't going to wait around for MBL to finish , and nor should it
Far too many teams and players involved in both men and women , they have waited long enough , they have missed an entire season

Reply #824446 | Report this post

ZXZ  
Years ago

Nuna Head Coach Andrew Cutler and Assistant Coach Mark Landells. Good choice.

Reply #824899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know of Landells but who is Cutler please.

Reply #824902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chargers sign (now Aussie) Zac White. great news. Chargers will have an outstanding line up this season. Paywall I think.

https://www.themercury.com.au/sport/former-import-now-naturalised-australian-zac-white-returns-to-chargers-for-2021-nbl1-season/news-story/ab542fb89d362f355f8c6ba1838c7222

Reply #829197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who else is there, can you give us a few tips on the article.

Reply #829198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one else signed yet. I should have said 1st signing. The Chargers should be finalists (again)

Reply #829265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would expect the usual suspects for the Chargers. Imports will be the key as it will be for every other team.

Reply #829292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's going on at DV? Advertised their women coach position 2 weeks ago, have they appointed a coach yet?

Bit late to try and recruit a team now?

Reply #829973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think there will be any imports, I’d say a few nbl players if the season doesn’t over lap that much. Trist has already signed. Imports will be outrageously expensive by the time you pay there quarantine costs etc.

Reply #829974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no americans being flown out in 2021.

Reply #829986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since when?

Reply #829990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I call bullshit on the "no americans being flown out in 2021"

Reply #830099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to latest info from government health and immigration to the nbl1 and BA....

Reply #830120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you got the money to pay for there quarantine, plus wages accommodation etc, yes it's a chance, don’t see many clubs in that financial position.

Reply #830131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More an issue if coming from a country that has massive covid issues , you likely won't get a visa approved or approved entry to earn $30k to play semi pro basketball.
Tier 1 (nbl) only.

Reply #830136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The borders should be shut to all international arrivals, other than Australians, that for what ever reason haven't got home yet.

Does it even make financial sense to pay that much $$ for 1 player to come in? would they even generate enough income for the club to not make a massive loss? Guessing crowd numbers are going to be limited along with sponsorship $$.

Surely clubs are trying to consolidate after last year?

Reply #830173 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Clubs don't have the money to pay their players let alone imports and the costs of flights and quarantine .... most players will be getting paid far less than previously just to get the show on the road , no crowds as such , so no sponsors most likely unless they can get some deal with the likes of kayo

Reply #830304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chargers sign Koen Sapwell from Cairns and are hoping to sign IMPORT AJ Harris from New Mexico State.

Reply #830921 | Report this post

Jock  
Years ago

Koen Sapwell, hahaha - He's probably trying to set himself up for the new Jack Jumpers NBL franchise...perhaps his last ditch effort to play NBL.

So Daddy set up the Cairns DP opportunity, and Koen was not good enough and now perhaps opening a door for NBL Tassie. You need to be a well rounded guard these days, not just someone that can shoot three's..!!!

Reply #831223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guess you don't know a lot about the relationship between Stewart and Cairns.

Reply #831225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stewie said that he had lot of calls from players looking for a spot, said he took him because he's a good kid and new his father.

Reply #831230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stick with SA crap Jock. Taiwan's have ignored Sawtell and Dufelmeier for far too long. Why hasn't The Sixers looked at one of their own?

Reply #831325 | Report this post

Jock  
Years ago

And now Sapwell's younger brother is off to Tassie - what a joke, RIGGED!

Reply #831701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Rigged!!!!!!!!!!". Now that is an inane comment. PLease support your suggestion.

Reply #831731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jock what ever you are on please stop.

Reply #831732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Jock, the Sapwell situation is def Rigged. The old man is def pulling favours again!

Reply #831885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet again inane comments from the clueless and idiots here. How can you RIG a player selection ffs.

Reply #831902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does the border closures between states going to effect Mount Gambier, Hobart and Launceston? SA closed border to Melbourne today, and any time there is a couple of cases... this is going to make the season hard to complete?

Lot of moving pieces over the next 2 months before the season starts.

Reply #831957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there an NBL1 South schedule yet?

Reply #831961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong Supercats very quiet,not much information or media about them,2020 they were heavily linked with Melbourne United,

Reply #831962 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

There is a draft NBL1 South scheduled not yet published.

Reply #831965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear that Mt Gambier Pioneers have signed up to four of the most hot young talent going round in South Australia to play in the NBL1 South League, further decimating the local Central comp!

Reply #831974 | Report this post

Jock  
Years ago

#974. Is that so, well do tell whom these players are that Mt Gambier have secured?

Reply #831975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pity they have moved away from the mainstream NBL locations. Will just get lost to the system. Dumb move for all 4 to go there!

Reply #831987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is that a dumb move when they're probably going to play in the best NBL1 league in Australia and will get greater exposure? What standard has the Adelaide league got to offer, when it’s the same 5 competitive teams every year. The SA comp is so uneven, at least the Vic/Tas comp fields very competitive teams and every game is generally a workout!

Reply #831992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, ain't gettin seen in SA.

Reply #831993 | Report this post

Jock  
Years ago

#992 - Very valid points - the local NBL1 Central league wouldn't give them the same competitive outcome or exposure. Easy to drop 20 or 30 points in the Adelaide league, but do that against the powerhouse Vic teams!
Anyway, who are these South Aussie players moving over to the Pioneers?

Reply #831995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kubank, DeSantis, Marshall & DeWitt.

Reply #832009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's if they can cross the border into Vic to play!

Given that Pioneers couldn’t beat Forestville when they played their one year in SA the top teams are very competitive and the gap between the best and worst team is closing

Are these four going to be fighting amongst themselves to be "seen" or are they going to be unselfish team players. I have my view on a couple of them!

Reply #832011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would like to hear your views

Reply #832013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holy shit, those four guys are a huge loss to the NBL1 Central 2021 season. These are all young local rising stars. Some would say a couple of them should def be future DP's in an NBL team.
DeSantis is a loss to West Bearcats (ex-Sturt) and Marshall a major loss to Rockets being a junior product too.

Reply #832015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#011 - What are you talking about. The Pioneers team was decimated in that one year Premier league season and they lost a good portion of their previous years SEABL, which had they kept them would have smashed Forestville! You dick...

Reply #832018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#011 - Who are the selfish players in that group you think are all about been "seen" and not a team player?

Reply #832021 | Report this post

Jock  
Years ago

Well that's a shock, didn't realise Kubank, DeSantis, Marshall & DeWitt were moving on - especially to the same team. The Pioneers must be building a future team under the leadership of Daly, Burdon and Coach Richard Hill. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Reply #832024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How interesting.

That will give the Pioneers two big athletic wings and two good guards. Can't see Daly or Burdon coming off the bench so I would assume Dewitt and Desantis would come off the bench unless Burdon is way past it.

Reply #832026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Desantis is best of that group.

Reply #832028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trolling?

Reply #832032 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Frankston so far are shaping as the team to beat in NBL1 South based on confirmed signings:

Igor Hadziomerovic
Dan Trist
Dillon Stith
Lachlan Barker
Callum Barker
Alistair Macdonald

Some more big announcement for the Blues too if I am hearing right.

Reigning champions Nunawading are returning Tom Wright, Andrew Steel and Dain Swetalla. Will be interesting to see if Simon Conn hits the hardwood again and how they go about replacing Shane McDonald and Lucas Walker who have both retired. Big shoes to fill.

Reply #832109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marshall is clearly the best of that group.

Burdon may not even be offered a contract?

Reply #832112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marshall is clearly the best if basketball is not a team sport

Reply #832116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of teams haven't announced any signings. Holding cards close to their chest or struggling to ink any talent?

Reply #832125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trist and one of the Barkers won't get the job done.

Reply #832127 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

When are the national championships and what will the format be? how many teams from south conference?

Reply #832133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frankston has plenty of experience, nbl players, even second tier will help a lot. Make finals and will be hard to stop.

Reply #832134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burdon lives there FFS of course he will get a contract.

Reply #832136 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

NBL1 South fixtures are dropping today

Reply #832138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How does the border closures between states going to effect Mount Gambier, Hobart and Launceston? SA closed border to Melbourne today, and any time there is a couple of cases... this is going to make the season hard to complete?

Lot of moving pieces over the next 2 months before the season starts."

Considering the season starts in April and will run through the winter months, which was our worst time for Covid outbreaks , it's probably fare to say Tassie Teams have a very high probability of not playing in the NBL1 comp should Victoria continue to have outbreaks ( thank the tennis for this lot )

Reply #832139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had nothing to do with the tennis, no one from the tennis quarantined at the holiday inn. Maybe we had better start looking at the federal government for not setting up the appropriate quarantine places in the first place. We are paying squillions to keep Christmas Island open and not using it, there are other federal bases that could be used.

Move it to the Gold Coast.

Reply #832150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DeSantis is the most well rounded out of all the Pioneer's recruits. Can shoot the lights out, can get to the rim, can also pass and create for himself and others.

Reply #832294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nik please stop posting about yourself. All the guys in that group can do what you listed. That's why they’re going to Mount Gambier.

Reply #832302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've known Nik for a while now and he is a very humble and focused guy. Doubt he’d even bat a eye to this stuff. Quite laughable actually.

Reply #832307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why are you pushing that he's the best of the group so much?

Reply #832310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All I said was he was the most well rounded. Just discussing basketball here, and I've watched and coached enough to see that. Nothing more nothing less.

Reply #832314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marshall will surprise. There's a reason the pioneers threw the kitchen sink at him after seeing him in person.

Is Burdon re-signed too?

Reply #832315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have that on good authority? You must be Nick's dad or mum since they havent even announced the bloke yet.

Reply #832401 | Report this post

Jock  
Years ago

When I see the official announcement of all four blokes, then I'll believe it.
For now let's assume Marshall is still a Rockets player, unless he's been seen training with the Pioneers. If he does go to Pioneers, then that's a bonus for them and Rockets will have to find a decent replacement. Under Coach Hill, Marshall will learn a lot, in particular being a team player.

DeWitt was moving back to Mt Gambier so it makes sense he returned to the Pioneers, also I think he had enough of Coach Simons at Forestville. He's got to be one of the best passers and assist guys going round. Great IQ and team first attitude.

Kubank is a machine when on fire so I'd say it's by-by Sturt (formerly Bearcats) and hello again Pioneers. It's a much better fit for him and he will excel under Coach Hill and it will be great for him to get away from Adelaide, train / play full-time and develop his game.

DeSantis, well this guy intrigues me and sort of has come out of the woodwork and blossomed enormously recently - definitely one to watch and where he goes with his basketball. West Bearcats crazy not to keep him and Sturt, well they lost a gem too.

They're all well rounded and bring a lot to Pioneers (if it's true), however DeSantis and Marshall definitely the best shooters among the four.

Reply #832456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice summary Jock, can't say I’d disagree with any of that. I must say the NBL1 South league is looking very powerful...

Reply #832497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure Tom Daly and Co will keep all those blokes in check. Good luck to the Pioneers, the most successful basketball club at the top level from SA. You could add West Adelaide Bearcats with their past history?

Reply #832506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Good luck to the Pioneers, the most successful basketball club at the top level from SA. You could add West Adelaide Bearcats with their past history?"
THe Pioneers are the only team in the top level.

Reply #832509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's Joel Spear up to? Is he signing on with Sturt. He still appears on the Diamond Valley Eagles website?

Reply #832512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can believe it re Marshall. He has been to Pioneers camps and told North he is moving on.

Reply #832516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am hearing import have been cleared to enter the country.

Reply #838739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart CHargers have announced (on the FB page) the return of IMPORT Kathleen Scheer.

Reply #839040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How's Mount Gambier going so far? Heard that Nik Disantis has torn his knee

Reply #839653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like at the 2 weeks to go mark that import are far less likely now with the Brisbane lockdown.

Reply #839720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lot sides with not lots of players signed, could be just not been released to the public. It's a shame the nbl has so long to continue as it’ll be not as strong.

Reply #839723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be a piss weak competition this season with the possibility of no import and NBL players unavailable for perhaps a month at the very minimum.

Reply #839725 | Report this post

messy  
Years ago

South Woman will be horrible...

Reply #839733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well a week to go and not much news. A long season for many clubs I reckon.

Reply #841595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The cross over with the nbl isn't helping, at least qld are starting a month after all othe nbl1.

Reply #841598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chargers home game Vs NW Thunder already sold out.

Reply #842697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame the NBL1's live stats etc crashed last night.

Reply #843286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chargers defeat Miners by 4.

Reply #844737 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:54 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754