Andrew
Years ago

Wildcats sign forward Jarred Bairstow

The Perth Wildcats have signed versatile forward Jarred Bairstow for the 2020/21 NBL season.

Bairstow comes into the side as a replacement for Majok Majok, who ruptured his Achilles tendon at training last month - ruling him out for the season.

The 201cm, 104kg power forward from Brisbane has been a star of the Queensland Basketball League since 2016.

In 2020, he averaged 20.9 points, 10.6 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 1.3 steals per game for the Brisbane Capitals.

He trialed with the Wildcats for the first two weeks of pre-season training, impressing coach Trevor Gleeson with his work ethic.

"I can't believe Jarred isn’t already playing in the NBL. He’s got the talent and I’m glad he’s available at this stage. We’re excited to give Jarred the opportunity, now it’s up to him to prove he belongs in the League." said Gleeson.

“I love his work ethic, he’s an extremely hard worker. He brings little intangibles to the team and it’s infectious to his teammates.

“We believe he is someone who can bring energy to our team, especially as part of that second group. He’s a strong, tough defender and he’ll bring a lot of hustle on both ends of the floor. He’s going to be an asset to the team.”

The 28-year-old is excited to take the opportunity.

“It’s unreal, it’s all come about really quickly. But to get to be a part of this club, of all clubs, one with a lot of history, is awesome,” said Bairstow.

“As a player, I like to be versatile and flexible in what I do. I’ll work into whatever the team needs. Trev likes players who play defence and can rebound, and that’s the role I think I can bring things to this team.”

Jarred Bairstow played college basketball at the University of Central Oklahoma and on his return joined the Brisbane Bullets as a development player in 2016/17.

He will make his first appearance for the Wildcats in Tuesday’s pre-season game against The Hawks - who feature his brother, Cameron.

https://www.wildcats.com.au/news/wildcats-sign-forward-jarred-bairstow

Topic #47866 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be after ns centre

Reply #824107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another mea signing

Reply #824108 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

They have no Centre.

No Kay, no Damo, they are going to lose out on many boards.

Oh well...their choice.

Reply #824109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have Mooney who was top rebounder in college, they need to replace majok is all.
All these cheap signings likely mean a ns,

Reply #824110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Cotton be an Aussie? American big on the way?

Reply #824111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG Mitch Norton (L) #8/ Kevin White (L) #3/ Taylor Britt (DP) #5
SG Bryce Cotton (I) #11 / Wani Swaka Lo Buluk (L) #9 / Luke Travers (DP) #4
SF Todd Blanchfield (L) #12 / Clint Steindl (L) #35 / Corey Shervill (DP) #
PF Jesse Wagstaff (L) #24 / Jarrod Bairstow (L)
C John Mooney (I) #33 / Next Star / Andrew Ferguson (DP) #34 /

Reply #824112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so no more plumlee

Reply #824113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless naturalised cotton.

Reply #824114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is plumlee still training with the wildcats

Reply #824115 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

no his not
and bairstow ain't playing pf ahah his playing the 5

Reply #824116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never rule out Perth but it's not up to the standard off previous few seasons.

Reply #824117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless he's grown 6 inches over the last year I’m not sure how Jarrod plays the five

Reply #824118 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Looking forward to seeing Jarred in action!

Reply #824119 | Report this post

NBL MAN  
Years ago

PG Mitch Norton (L) #8/ Kevin White (L) #3 / Taylor Britt (DP) #5
SG Bryce Cotton (I) #11/ Wani Swaka Lo Buluk (L) #9/ Luke Travers (DP) #4
SF Todd Blanchfield (L) #12/ Clint Steindl (L) #35/ Corey Shervill (DP) #
PF John Mooney (I) #33 / Jesse Wagstaff (L) #24
C Pledger some other local / Jarred Bairstow (IR) (L) #2/ Andrew Ferguson (DP) #34/Majok Majok (INJ) (L) #22

There isn't many Tall 5's so I believe He'd back up the 5 (Bairstow ). Interesting signing
But they really should've signed mooney as a next star and be able to get plumlee only few cms shorter than oliver and ben moore

Reply #824121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats have a pretty weak roster this year.... seems they missed alot of targets and counted on Duop Reath signing

Reply #824122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starting 5's

Cats:

Norton
Cotton
Blanchfield
Wagstaff
Mooney

Dear God. Teams like Sydney and Adelaide with Humphries, Jarrell etc. even Cairns with Oliver are going to smash this team on the boards. Only Bolden can save them now or Landale.

Reply #824123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney is a real sub-par get. Not sure why they aren't cashing in and adding someone bigtime at the 5...

There were rumblings they had dropped Mooney after striking a deal with Christ Koumadje (NBA G-League 7'3"). Honestly if they did they had gotten him or get him. Hand them the championship. Christ would destroy in this league.

Reply #824125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarred Martin not known as a quality rebounder. He's a good coach Gleeson but really Blanchfield and Wagstaff should be bench players. Gleeson still might have the answers though.

Reply #824126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Bairstow NBL quality

Reply #824127 | Report this post

Mo  
Years ago

Let's be real here. Yes it is Perth and they always find a way to be relevant but gotta look at facts.

Damo retires and you replace him with White...okay fair enough you won't replace someone as good as Damo with the talent pool we have but that doesn't take away from the fact that is an obvious downgrade.

No Terrico so you get Blanchfield... eehhh not a tremendous downgrade but still a downgrade. White caught fire when it counted, Blanchfield is extremely hot and cold. They can't afford for him to be cold for consecutive games.

Lose Kay and replace him with an "Maybe he will, maybe he won't" guy in Mooney. Unknown and unproven commodity.

Majok injured and he's replaced with a forward... they don't have a centre unless they get Pledger or pull a Christmas miracle and nab a marquee Aussie...

Reply #824130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

biggest sliders this year I reckon Perth, Cairns and Sydney.

Biggest improvers

SEM, 36ers and Hawks.

Reply #824131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton as local, best they could do...

Norton-white
britt
Cotton-Buluk
travers
Blanchfield-Steindl
shervill
Wagstaff-Bairstow
Bolden
Mooney-next star

Reply #824132 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not sure why people are losing their minds yes J. Bairstow is just a state league player but he's only replacing Majok. Perth still have one spot on their roster to go which could be a Pledger/Andersen type.

It also could be reserved for Plumlee if/when Cotton naturalises.

Reply #824133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't see Mooney playing pf.

Reply #824134 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

You can't see a 6'9" kid fresh out of college playing against adult men for the first time in his life playing PF? It's the only position he could play, they signed him as Kay's replacement.

Reply #824135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He played c in college and can't stretch the floor like Kay.

Reply #824136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They Got him because he was pulling down 12+ boards.

Reply #824137 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yeah in college, I doubt Gleeson expects him to play much centre.

Reply #824138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney needs to be a stud or Perth's playoff streak is in trouble

Reply #824139 | Report this post

Nbl1 insider  
Years ago

How did a 6'10 Nelson Kahler not get the gig? Barstow was ordinary even in QSL I can not understand this from Perth.

Reply #824142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow is not a C and hardly even a PF. And hes not NBL quality. A very interesting signing

Reply #824143 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Those who think success is assured or even probable with Mooney at the 5 need only cast their minds back one season to Dario Hunt.

Hunt was actually a skilled player, he was a decent rebounder, was capable in the low post, but could not shoot and also didn't offer the defensive presence that the team needed.

Now I am not suggesting they need a Rudy Gobert in the middle, in fact one year they won it all whilst being the worst shot blocking team in the league. But they do need a big defensive presence.

This is not going to go well.

Reply #824145 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I hope we're not tanking.

Reply #824146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibjgV1Qr8yM

Reply #824147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Honestly, Perth has always had such a tough team every season but this season that team legit sucks

Reply #824148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next season... :)

Import / Norton / britt
Cotton / travers / Buluk
Import / Steindl / shervill
Kay / Bairstow
Import / majok

Reply #824149 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I'm surprised with this signing.

Jarred has been solid in QLD the last few years, and good on him for giving training camp a real shake and jagging a spot.

Definitely not a 5 (lol) and out of his depth as an NBL 4 imo.

Many here had pegged Kahler to be the next to make the big league. Good agile interior defender and at the least far better replicates what Perth have lost in Majok.

Reply #824150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to have ns to get 11 contracts.

They have 9

Reply #824151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was always going to be difficult to replace kay! Local players that are that good are hard to come by. Losing damo hurts as well. You would think they are banking in cottons citizenship coming through and frankly they don't have much choice. Whether they need a big centre this year who knows. Also I would expect some growth from travers and wani, at some point the next gen needs some more time, hopefully they impress!

Reply #824152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Underwhelming.

Reply #824153 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Landale is coming to town. Announcement on Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas Wildcats fans. Cheers.

Reply #824156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's linked to Barcelona also.

Reply #824159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale has signed at United

Reply #824164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trev is a moron.

Reply #824165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would help if Nelson Kahler wasn't 6'7"

No way he's 6'10"

Reply #824166 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I like how so many people are saying "just get a next star C" as if there's a long line of ready to play 18 year old bigs in the US just waiting for the Wildcats to give them a call.

Reply #824168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fictitious next star is a required part of any thread.

Reply #824171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney would have qualified as a NS but the Wildcats decided not to take the piss like the rest of the league.

Reply #824174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale signing at United does make this look lame now. Wildcats looking sub par early

Reply #824184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a great signing, hope we get to see JBairstow get some court time. Seemed to take a massive leap in the Queensland state league this season. Can see him doing a solid job defensively against other teams back ups and fitting in nicely with Perth's flex offence

Reply #824218 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Signing locals especially bench players is always about taking what you can get.

Barstow is motivated and will go hard for the limited minutes he plays. It's not a great signing but he is only replacing Majok.

I’ll confess to being underwhelmed by the signings thus far. We seem to have gone backwards at every position (except SG.)
There’s been a lot of talk about Big Plums returning when Cotton naturalises; but can’t help wondering if they don’t have something bigger up their sleeve?

Reply #824228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

at today launch did they suggest going after a ns

Reply #824247 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yeah any hints or excuses from them for the roster so far?

Reply #824256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they always make the finals...until one day they dont.

i had hoped after kay left they would get a proven marquee import. (Cam Oliver, Hopson etc..) Mooney is big unknown. Not sure even Plumlee will be enough if Mooney not 10 Rebound 15 point guy every night.

Reply #824296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Old mate Trev is a nuffie

Reply #824297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's bolden or import pf(cotton citizenship)

Reply #824299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Landale signing should motivate Perth to make a strong move with final roster spot

Reply #824300 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So is Bairstow a better player than Rhys Vague, I mean if the vanilla gorilla was still in the country then would he have gotten the spot or was Jarred so impressive with his work ethic that it wouldn't have mattered?

Reply #824301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#218 the standard of the QSL substitute season was appalling. I wouldn't put too much emphasis there

Reply #824302 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

"....the standard of the QSL substitute season was appalling." I agree.

Excuses? The season was predominantly amatuer, to begin with. Not saying throughout the comp, but largely. Lot of juniors were given chances and lots of recruited players did not come from elsewhere to join teams.
Bright-lights? Some players, Bairstow, Kahler, Krebs and others(?) advanced their careers.

Reply #824312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vague benefited from 11 man rosters.
Though he would have taken Majok's spot had he not gone to Japan.

Reply #824319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trev, told me that Simmons is ready to fill the 4 spot. Lol.

Reply #824321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you havent already figured it out "Trev" just posts trolling threads.

Reply #824324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Cotton is in for a tough year. He will get so much attention from defenders. I think it's going to be too hard for him to carry the team to success without another star offensive player who can create his own shot.

Reply #824331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom Jervis will be a Wildcat by season start.

Reply #824386 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:24 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754