Running list of which clubs have announced teams thus far:

- Wyndham
- Western Port
- Bacchus Marsh
- Altona
- Melton
- Wangarrata
- Westgate

Who else has announced? Other than Wyndham they're all small clubs. Would it be fair to say the bigger clubs will struggle more this year, particularly if they cant get access to schools courts that they would usually use for training

Topic #47872 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think so, most are still in the middle of try outs. Dandenong only started last night! I think a lot will be announcing teams next week.

Reply #824341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandy tryouts started last night. Junior Domestic hasn't even started.

Reply #824342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong united done acceptance due back today. I understand a great turn out trialled ovet 3 or 4 weeks.

Reply #824346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do Geelong usually announce their team lists? Or do they do it all via email like Keilor have done in the past

Reply #824363 | Report this post

Oldie  
Years ago

Why do families focus on others rather then their own children. If you know where your kid playing that should be your focus.

Yes Geelong usually announce but if they have changed that hooray for them. I think they are waiting for acceptances if you check their social media.

Reply #824405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Waverley posted their teams.

Hawthorn finish tomorrow, and usually post teams.

Tigers finish tomorrow, so their teams should be set, although they don't seem to post much. Told that their try out numbers are smaller than usual, so interesting to see how many teams they register.

Reply #824460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers numbers down. They charged $60 for every kid that tried out. What a joke!

Reply #824485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. If they have 300 kids try out, that's $18,000. Who gets that cash? MSAC courts can’t be that expensive.

Reply #824546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eltham done - few weeks ago, teams already training. Good number.

Reply #824625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frankston announced their teams; I wonder why some associations announce their teams while others opt not to? Like Keilor and Melbourne for instance

Reply #824651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suspect they like to keep them more fluid.

Reply #824660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#546 that's how they afford their NBL program.

Reply #824670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL1*

Reply #824671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think so - run separately.

Reply #824674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#660 think that's right, and they like to pick up kids from other clubs that are not happy with try outs ... which always presents its own probs with the existing kids

Reply #824683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong United just announced 36 Teams u12 to u18

Reply #824689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

674 they say they are but where else would the money come from?

Reply #824696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being from SA is Geelong United a small Club?

Reply #824698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

696 not from the boys programme, is my understanding. Happy to be corrected.

Reply #824700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#698 Geelong would be considered to be a medium sized club in the VJBL system. Anything above 40 teams is large, below 20 is small

Reply #824702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McKinnon finished last week, teams not announced as yet (maybe they don't). Have similar number of teams as last year, not bad effort in circumstances.

Reply #824725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawthorn has published their teams.

Reply #824976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As has Casey

Reply #825037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone have a fun try out? Always the tough time of the year, but great to see bball back.

Reply #825174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Dandenong only has 2 U12 girls teams and only 2 U14 girls teams for the upcoming season. That's pretty low numbers for a club with 16+ courts. Can anyone confirm this? I can’t find a link to their lists, does anyone have a link?

Reply #826157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think that’s true

Reply #826158 | Report this post

Years ago

coming from a person in another state - would geelong play frankston at Geelong or Frankston ? If so what would the commute time be ? Or would they play half way i.e. state basketball centre ? (not that is half way but not as far)

Reply #826161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Proper season Frankston would travel to Geelong. As a previous VJBL coach I've done Ballarat, Shepparton, Sale, Geelong on a Friday night.

Grading you would have 1 away, 1 home 1 neutral venue. So depending on how it falls is how you travel.

Reply #826162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's been a lot of push back on travel in recent years. The VJBL can schedule a game up to 210kms away from your home stadium, which is ridiculous to expect of families on a Friday night (that’s 420kms round trip). The whole thing should be regionalised, or country teams need to play out of a metro stadium, like they used to

Reply #826168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a Victorian championship. Therefore best in state so travel is required. You might get one or two long travel trips for the season. for the rest of it is reasonably local ie greater Melbourne. I’ve never seen a VC championship Pool which is got more than three long trips.

Reply #826173 | Report this post

Years ago

isn't there a ferry across the bay mouth ? would teams use that or is it a long trip ? From my experience families don't mind the travel (in fact some enjoy it and make an occasion of it) as long as there is time to make the travel. i.e. for a family to get across town for a 6pm game starts hours before.

Reply #826174 | Report this post

Years ago

what would be longest trip - casey v bendigo ?

Reply #826175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would suggest Ballarat versus Sale or Traralgon

Reply #826176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Latrobe vs Wodonga would be up there. Both teams played U18 girls around 10-12 years ago. From memory the game was held at Wangaratta. On the return they played at Dandenong because Latrobe didn't have any panel refs and played most of the season at Pakenham

Reply #826182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. That's a huge trip.

Reply #826185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong to Maffra the first season Maffra made u16 VC. Thank goodness common sense kicked in the years after and Maffra moved home games to Dandenong. Oh not that Maffra wanted too.. It was the refs in the end that prevailed. For the record had to pull players out of school at lunch time to make the 8.20 game.

Reply #826194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warrnambool to wodonga

Reply #826195 | Report this post

Years ago

they are all quite some distance let alone the traffic. Some of those years quoted would be before some of the link roads too.

Reply #826196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol Warrnambool never played VJBL nore has Wodonga...

Reply #826197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take it back Wodonga yes.. Warrnambool NO

Reply #826198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wodonga is just n.e bushrangers.

Reply #826199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warrnambool have had many kids play VJBL with different sides over the years,it's a shame it’s so far away as they have done consistently well at under 14 level with teams at Classic and Australian champs

Reply #826207 | Report this post

Kaleel  
Years ago

When are the next tryouts?

Reply #834845 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Little known fact is that there is a 200km distance limit for VJBL games these days: i.e. a team is not expected to travel any more than 200km one-way for a fixtured game.

This means some club's home games will in fact be played at neutral venues and vice versa.

Reply #835033 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:42 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754