Mervan
Years ago

Bryce Cotton vs Patty Mills

Just watched cottons welcome to Perth video on you tube.

Saw a bit of resemblance between his jumper and pattys.

Made me wonder who is the better player.

Clearly patty has had a better financial career.

Just wonder if Bryce had had better timing he could have achieved what patty has at SA?

Does patty do anything significantly better than Bryce? I realise athleticism is in bryce's favour.

Just a late night hypothetical.

Sorry if this has been done before

Topic #47874 | Report this topic

D2.0  
Years ago

Whilst Cotton can run the point, and is a decent defender, he benefits by playing at the 2 spot, backed by a Good PG.

Neither is big enough to excel as a SG in the NBA, but the difference is that Patty doesn't need to, being Good enough to play Point.

I really Hope Cotton makes the Boomers because I would love to see how he fares at International level.
Keep in mind that whilst he's obviously had Interest from Europe, it presumably wasn't at the level to rip him away from Perth

Reply #824364 | Report this post

Mervan  
Years ago

Good point d2

So you would have mills over cotton running the point on the national team?

Reply #824365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Running Shot and Dunk : Cotton > Mills

Jump Shot : Mills > Cotton

Average Offense : Mills > Cotton

Average Defence : Mills >= Cotton

Reply #824366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Right place and right time. Very similar players, I think Spurs tend to like international players with their philosophy on playing, not saying that Cotton couldn't have worked the same role as Mills.
Look at Dellavadova (cue stupid comments about him being goat), made roster at Cavs with his hard, don't give a f#@k who you are when he battled Kyrie at practice. May have made a few other squads for short periods, but don't think he would have lasted, let alone get a lucrative contract.

Reply #824368 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I agree. Pretty similar.
Patty the slight advantage due to a few extra centimetres & kg.

Reply #824369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One is Australian the other Isn't.

Reply #824370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this even a serious question? Mills has had a 10+ Year Career in NBA as a decent rotational player. C'Mon...

Reply #824376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills is better at basketball. That's the main one.

Reply #824381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills no question.

NBA champion who has had a 10+ year career in the NBA.

Has torched teams in the Boomers. E.g led ALL players in scoring at the London Olympics.

Single handedly ruined Lebron's chance to 3 peat with the Heat.

Led the Boomers over team USA.

Has some of the best NBA stat lines Australia has produced.

Reply #824387 | Report this post

Truth Seeker  
Years ago

Mills has the consistent NBA shot.

Reply #824394 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think the main thing that Mills has is the confidence, respect and loyalty of Pop and the Spurs, there are so many very talented basketball players that would all but kill for that treatment, yes Mills doesn't star like he does for the Boomers when in the NBA but the Team USA games over here, we really seen how much Pop thought of Patty.

I think Bryce is a bloody good player and fun to watch and an undoubted NBL asset (well advertisers dream) and I think he'd also have a decent NBA career if a coach vowed for him the way Pop does for Patty.

I don't feel the same about Casper Ware, Jerome Randle, Cedric Jackson or any other NBL MVP level point guard... ok maybe Machado but I'm impartial for pass first point guards... that don't air all free throws.

Reply #824397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both going to olympics.. who cares, mills will start and cotton will back him up.

Reply #824398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills is better, he's performed well on the biggest stages, but Cotton is a hell of a player who could have potentially carved out a good NBA career in the right situation.

Reply #824399 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I am surprised this is a question. There are similarities, but really, Cotton is a poor man's Mills. Would love to have him off the bench for the Boomers though. But here are just some of the ways that Mills is a better player:

Speed - Mills is faster, despite being older
Strength - Mills is physically stronger and bigger, which matters inside
Shooting - Mills is a more consistent shooter
Defense - Mills is a better and more dogged defender

Luck isn't the only reason Mills is in the NBA over Cotton.

Reply #824410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't agree Mills is a better shooter than Cotton. I'd rate them pretty level in that category.

Reply #824422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills over Cotton no doubt but would still want Cotton in the green and gold as a backup.

Reply #824435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton isn't guarding anyone internationally

Reply #824436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills is a fair bit bigger. Cotton is a stick. Mills was also absolutely lightning when he was younger.

Reply #824470 | Report this post

Jacqui Lambie  
Years ago

Anytime Cotton goes into Mills I find a T-Shirt comes out....

Reply #824476 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Made me wonder who is the better player.

Just wonder if Bryce had had better timing he could have achieved what patty has at SA?
Cotton had games with a few NBA teams so they were at least aware of him, saw what he could do, and he didn't stick. He's a light (75kg going by ESPN?!), undersized shooting guard in a league where the dominant shooting guards can be 6'7" or more. He'd need very, very good defensive or shooting skills to last over there.

Mills is still getting 20+ MPG and 10+ PPG 11 seasons in. He's lasted nine seasons under one of the all-time coaches who's unlikely to carry hapless players. Career 39% from 3P, in a league where 42% last season put you top ten, and top ten over a career. He's top 80 all-time NBA for career 3P% ahead of many notable scorers.

So, Mills.

Reply #824481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By that logic Isaac, why did blazers release him?

Reply #824486 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The team that drafted Sam Bowie? Who knows. Maybe so you could make that comment.

Cotton went through three teams, and we're making a comparison, so...

Reply #824489 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yeah, it will be interesting to watch if Cotton does get a Boomers gig.
Like a few guys who have starred in the NBL, he's a perfect fit for our league. Way too small for the NBA, and will be challenged at International level.

Like all the fringe guys hoping for a ticket to Tokyo, its going to depend on who's fit, and available to play from the NBA. Honestly, I lost track, are the going to be available or not?

It will probably be the usual story. If every NBA player is fit and ready to play, he might struggle to get in, but then the won't be.
Shit, imagine if we'd had him in Bejing instead of Scooby & Shaggy.

Reply #824491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the GM that drafted Bowie also released Mills, yeah, that makes sense.
Lots of players get cut and find success in other situations, Jeremy Lin springs to mind.
Billups was terrible in Boston, Toronto and didn't even play in Orlando and considered a big time bust before he found a home in Minnesota and cashed in with Detroit. Went through 3 teams that didn't want him, so if we're making a comparison....

Reply #824495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills.
The end.

Reply #824500 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What is the argument you're making? That Cotton is a superior player?

Reply #824502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's making the argument that your point, about NBA teams cutting him once upon a time, doesn't add much to the discussion about who is better now.

I think Mills is better, but it is possibly that had Cotton landed in a great situation like the Spurs his career may have turned out differently. I disagree with you that he's an undersized SG in the NBA, he'd be a back-up PG in a similar mold to Mills.

Reply #824510 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Anon,

Mills shits all over Cotton as a player even right now it's not even close. Cotton is an undersized SG he doesn't have PG skills hence why he's in the NBL.

These kind of stupid threads by Perth fans is why they get given so much shit for being clueless homers Mills is a far, far better player than Cotton he's better than him at everything maybe other than dunking lol

Reply #824520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calm down zodiac. We know you hate Perth and we know Mills is clearly better but even most salty Adelaide fans would have Cotton on their team in a heartbeat.

Reply #824525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, who are the clueless homer Perth fans in this thread?

Reply #824527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle was ok.
But other import guards for Adelaide meh.

Reply #824528 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Mills is clearly better.

Reply #824529 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yes, weirdly, it does seem that sometimes NBA success is about getting the right opportunity at the right time.
And if you were giving advice to a Cotton type player, you might well suggest to focus on being a PG and become a Star in the G-League. Then maybe he gets couple of 10 day deals, then a 2-way, and who knows. That's the same hard choice a lot of guys make,and realise too late they've made the wrong call.

Instead Cotton has gone with his natural role, and carved out pretty decent career in the NBL. And if he hadn't fallen in love, might well have use that as a stepping stone to Europe.

But even if he had gone more towards PG, Mills would definitely be superior in that role.

And no, I don't see him playing backup PG for the Boomers, unless we're really caught short.
Again, depending on who's available, he might be backup SG, or 3rd string Guard.
In an NBL only team, he'd probably start at SG.

Reply #824530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back to me talking about right time, right place. If Mills hadn't ended up at San Antonio, could he have bounced around as well, few seasons in Europe and then in NBL. Seeing both live, yes I think head to head Mills is better player. But what if Cotton had found a place where he could have been spark off bench like a Barrea type.
It's sliding doors if Mills hadn't made his way to Spurs, did they turn him into player he's become playing to his strengths. As my example with Billups, got given up by 3 franchises, discovered his feet at a fourth and could maybe at an outside chance be in HOF. Lot of people passed on Mills. So you put a petty little Sam Bowie reference in.

Reply #824536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only thing that matters when making historical comparisons about players is actual production. If you need to create a five-layered hypothetical sliding door scenarios to try to establish a point, you have already lost.

Reply #824550 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If San Antonio hadn't happened, Patty's national team play would have given him plenty of opportunities regardless. Cotton is a great player but you can't even compare the two.

Reply #824556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next people will be comparing Ingles to Blanchfield. Dumb comparisons really.
NBA over nbl.

Reply #824571 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

My point wasn't so much that Cotton was cut, but that he 'landed' in three spots and none worked out. It wasn't like he had one chance where circumstances worked against him and he was never spotted again.

After Mills' time with Portland, there was an NBA lockout, he played in the NBL, then in China. Going by Wikipedia, he wanted to head back to Portland but had trouble getting released from his Chinese team. Ended up signing with the Spurs.

Reply #824597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But whether it worked out or not five+ years ago isn't really a great basis for judging where Cotton sits now. There have been very few players in the NBL who can do offensively what Cotton does through the amount of attention he receives.

The guys who have been able to do that, such as Gaze and Penney, have been as influential as Mills in international basketball. So while Mills certainly wins this debate on the fact he has far more runs on the board, Cotton's recent form indicates he could well be a high-quality Boomers player if given the chance, and perhaps not as far behind Mills as some think.

Reply #824616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would Mills be as good as Cotton at NBL level? Probably not but he'd be very close. Success in sport has so many factors and Mills was in the right place at the right time but how did he get there? Would Cotton be the type of character to sit on the bench for 2 seasons at Patty's age waving towels in a Spurs team that is loyal to guys like this? Not sure of the answer, I don't know Cotton but think about it.

Reply #824620 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Billups wasnt cut by 3 teams, he was traded. In Orlando he didnt play because he was on the injured list the entire time he was there. The Wolves then gave him a multi yea deal worth >$2m per.

Mills is the better player. Yes he got a great opportunity, but it wasnt luck. Between his first and second season in SA he got his body right. Pop infamously called him "a little fatty" before he did that. He put in the work and has reaped the rewards since then.

This isn't to say Cotton couldn;'t have done that, just that it isn't about Patty being lucky.

Reply #824624 | Report this post

pls  
Years ago

Mills - Melbourne Tigers

9 games played - 6/3 record.

18.4 ppg (42% FG, 35% 3FG)

5 assists/game (2.44 t/o's)

2.3 reb/game

0.77 steals/game

Reply #824675 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Don't forget the Flop of the Year award in 2012.

Reply #824680 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

https://youtu.be/wAEXvzrnU34

Reply #824685 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Was fun to watch Patty's handful of games that year. He was still working out his game at that point and had his breakout a couple of seasons later. The skill was there, clearly, but he needed more work. I don't doubt for a second that he would have been a perennial MVP candidate if he'd stayed in the NBL

Reply #824687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you look at the ultimate right place right time, Jeremy Lin, it just shows how luck can sometimes play. Undrafted and after some summer camps he was signed by warriors, to partially guaranteed deal and Nike sponsorship because he was Taiwanese.
Ends up with Knicks, they're playing shit, D'Antoni puts him in against Nets and he starts a 7 game win streak and most talked about basketball news story in years. Finishes off season with injury, but everyone expects Knicks to pay him. But Houston jump in with a big offer and Knicks decline. Houston have to play the guy after spending so much but realise he is just a backup and then Harden arrives. Suddenly Lin goes on move like most backup point guards.
What if Patty had come in and just stunk it up his first couple of games. What if Cotton had come on and had a shooting night like we've seen him here. All ifs and buts, but sometimes you just need to be lucky.

Reply #824706 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

But again, it isn't just luck. Mills worked hard to make the most of his situation.

Reply #824730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would say it's both. Hard work + luck = success.

Reply #824737 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Which is why I said "It isnt JUST luck"

As with everything, really.

Reply #824738 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Mills playing NBL was such a novelty at the time, expectations I remember were that he would absolute dominate, in the same way that (at that time) everyone with NBA experience was expected to just be able to walk in and dominate the NBL. I think the pressure showed especially the first couple of games, where Mills looked like he was trying to score every possession. He eased his way into it by the end, and although there is no chance in hell he'd have been a regular NBL player at that point regardless of what happened in the NBA, he'd have been a generational player if he had.

Mills' career is not luck, its hard work. He's a heck of a player. He showed that in college, in international play, and now in the NBA. His body of work speaks for itself, and if things hadn't bounced the way they did in SA he'd have stuck somewhere else.

Reply #824745 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's just an attempt to talk down Mills there's not much luck involved in leading the Olympic in scoring in 2012 and putting up 30 points on Team USA in our historic win against them last year.

Reply #824746 | Report this post

anon nbl1  
Years ago

Patty Mills is the better player of the two, knows his role can come off the bench can play as a starter and perform in both roles at the NBA level while Bryce hasn't really played in different roles mainly is given full freedom with the ball and is the main guy on the team at the NBL level, real question is can Bryce play a lesser role coming off the bench cause if he can, Australia national team can be decent with Patty starting and Bryce coming off the bench

I'd say Patty is ahead of Cotton due to versatility at a higher level

Reply #824749 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think Cotton would have any issue playing a Boomers role. He's a confident player but the success Perth have had with him doesn't tend to come if he isn't playing within a team structure. Goulding is cocky in the NBL but contributed with the Boomers.

Reply #824753 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

A couple of people have mentioned the height difference, but google puts Mills at 1.83m and Cotton at 1.82.

Is that right? If so, seems bizarre to comment on height differences for 1cm.

Reply #824768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's more bulk size than height size.

Reply #824770 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:19 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754