Mystro
Years ago

Glen Rice Jnr's assault charges in NZ dropped

The assault charges (injuring with intent) former New Zealand Breakers and Washington Wizards player Glen Rice Jnr was facing in NZ have now been dropped.

Under his bail conditions he was allowed to leave NZ and with the current global pandemic environment , Rice wasn't in any rush to return.
The complainant, a professional Rugby player from Australia had also left the country and had not made any contact with the Officer in Charge of the prosecution despite extensive efforts to make contact.
The prosecution and the defence then made a joint application to have the charges dropped.

The assault was captured on CCTV outside an Auckland bar in the early hours of November 14 2019.
The complainant can be seen antagonising Glen Rice Jnr before Rice responds with a couple of punches to the face which drew blood.

Topic #47878 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll never be back here anyway so little point in proceeding. Just closes a dark chapter in Breakers basketball.

Reply #824511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair enough

Reply #824515 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This punk only lasted about 10 days recently in Lithuania too, challenging teammates to fights etc. The Breakers gave the NBL a black eye last season when they already knew this guy was trouble from when he punched out a teammate on Shamir's team in Israel.

A sorry chapter for the NBL and hopefully Matt Walsh has learned his lesson.

Reply #824518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah because Joey punching Sobey wasn't a black eye

Reply #824521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe both incidents tarnished the league...

Reply #824526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Old news really particularly Wright and Sobey.

Reply #824531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac said "This punk only lasted about 10 days recently in Lithuania too, challenging teammates to fights etc."
Please let us know where this info came from .

Reply #824596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac comes across as someone on his high horse.

Reply #824600 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Please let us know where this info came from .

Here you go:

On August 19, 2020, Rice signed with Juventus Utena of the Lithuanian Basketball League. Rice made his debut in a friendly game against Lithuanian champions BC Žalgiris, scoring 10 points and dishing out 4 assists in a 102-71 loss. Just a few days later, and spending a total of 10 days with the team, Juventus and Glen Rice Jr parted ways.[125] Juventus managers reported that Rice had alcoholism problems and conflicted with his coaches, managers, and teammates (e.g., invited teammate Mindaugas Kupšas to fight outside after the practice due to his poor pass).[126]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Rice_Jr.

Reply #824605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feel better now Zodiac.

Reply #824607 | Report this post

Tjamu  
Years ago

Just close the chapter and never speak of this junkie dog again!

Reply #824659 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

It is really lamentable that someone of his talent hasn't learned the lesson from dropping out of the NBA, dropping out of the NBL and now dropping out of the Euro league.

If I were in that situation, I would probably 'buckle' up' after losing my NBL job, because if teams see a trend of bad behaviour THAT'S IT for my career, he has many years left to play.

Do I want to play basketball and set myself up for life? or Work a regular job or end up like Delonte West.

Reply #824673 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:31 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754