James Harvey fan
Years ago

WNBL awards

Steph Talbot wins the Suzy Batkovic medal for MVP.

Topic #47881 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Shannon Seebohm COTY

Reply #824637 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Zitina Aokuso Sixth Woman of The Year

Reply #824638 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Robyn Maher Defensive Player of the Year: Steph Talbot

Reply #824639 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Betty Watson Australian Youth Player of the Year: Shyla Heal

Reply #824640 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Not a fan of Liz, but she was clearly the MVP this season. It's hard it believe that O'Hea and Blicavs really pinched that many votes from her across the season when she averaged almost a point per minute on 62-FG% and has the defensive impact just from her presence.

Nicholson also unlucky, although I imagine Heal similarly pinched voted from her occasionally.

Reply #824642 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

All WNBL first team:

Cambage
Talbot
George
Ebzery
Nicholson

Reply #824643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's the info coming from?

Reply #824644 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Where's the info coming from?

WNBL twitter account

Reply #824645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cambage is a complete liability on D, Nicholson was consistently getting it done both sides of the ball. She was robbed

Reply #824646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would have Ezi over George.
Heal and Rocci joint winners imo.

Reply #824648 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

All-WNBL Second Team:

Sara Blicavs
Shyla Heal
Tess Madgen
Maddy Rocci
Ezi Magbegor

Reply #824652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sara Blicavs defensive player of the year for me. Held Talbot to 6 & 9 points, while Talbot let her have 24 points

Reply #824654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DPOY based on one matchup in one game LOL I don't think so

Reply #824655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know everyone hates Liz but she was easily MVP. Only played limited minutes and was best for a star studded team almost every game

Reply #824656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was just highlighting Talbot's defence. She played great d all season

Reply #824657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With that matchup against Talbot putting her defensive abilities above Talbot.

Reply #824658 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Liz HAD to have been MVP, so maybe the WNBL is trying to give Liz a pretty blunt message about her behaviour getting in the way.

Reply #824661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liz Cambage - throw toys out of pram award

Reply #824664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liz the Loser....Love it.

Reply #824665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liz the Loser....Love it.

Reply #824666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There should be an award for "dud coach" Molloy would win that hands down.
All the stacked teams he has had and always comes up short.

Reply #824667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #824668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have taken Tolo over George in the second team, her defensive efforts we're great this season.

Reply #824669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

George has been good defensively too. Think she's just ahead of Tolo this season

Reply #824676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players like Nicholson both women and men don't get rewarded for the effort they put in at both ends of the court. Nicholson can think herself unlucky.

Reply #824678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking at comments on social media people seem to think Cambage wasn't the MVP bc she has a bad attitude. But regardless of her attitude she’s still the most valuable player, there’s no attitude factor in being a good player

Reply #824679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess there is if it is voted by the referee's

Reply #824681 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Zitina Aokuso looks pretty good.

Reply #824684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I'm saying is people shouldn’t let their bias affect their voting. She’s the best player in the league hands down. Talbot leading turnovers in the league, doesn’t strike me as a stat the MVP should have.

Reply #824686 | Report this post

Vodka 42  
Years ago

Liz basically missed the game earlier in the season against Sydney with 4 fouls in 8 minutes, so no votes that game. Talbot didn't have a game played with under 20 minutes.

In certain games like recently against Melbourne Liz played really well and had 35 points (off 24 shots), although a player like Bec Cole had 16 points on 7-8 shooting and a bunch of assists, and Sara Blicavs had 18 points on 7-9 shooting and was great defensively. Does Liz get 9 votes that game? I'm not so sure.

Also, Liz was often attacked heavily on defense and stretched out in pick and rolls, the team often leaked points with her on the floor.

I don't think there is some organised conspiracy against Liz here, its just that game by game voting suits a player without much help around them.

Reply #824688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100% Talbot won bc she had no one to take votes off her. But I also wouldn't be surprised if the refs were the ones taking votes off of Cambage and ruining her chances at the win

Reply #824690 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, blame the voting system.
Liz was dominant but had the luxury of sitting a lot due to being on a strong team, and had teammates who played some big games too, so she didn't stand out as much as Talbot did.

MVP votes were
73 Talbot
67 Cambage
65 Nicholson
56 Magbegor
52 Rocci

I'm not super keen on George being the All Star PF (she's a good rebounder but I disagree that she's a good defender), but there's no standout for that spot so I'm ok with the pick. Glad to see Blicavs recognised with a spot on the 2nd team. I haven't been her biggest fan over the journey but she's had a very good season.

Reply #824691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The real awards

Ebzery
Nicholson
Talbot
Magbegor
Cambage

Heal
Rocci
Madgen
Blicavs
George

M
Talbot

C
Seebohm

Y
Heal/Rocci

D
Nicholson

Griffin

Reply #824692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lavey
Cole
Maley
Garbin
Ernst

Reply #824693 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

few hours ago

Lol comment so good you had to say it twice

Fully agree, sadly he must be a very good BS talker for boomers board to reappoint him year after year

Reply #824694 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Within the hour

What I'm saying is people shouldn't let their bias affect their voting. She’s the best player in the league hands down. Talbot leading turnovers in the league, doesn’t strike me as a stat the MVP should have.

Cambage was the biggest player in the league , and also the biggest bad attitude
She has and could still cost teams games because of it
You don’t reward bad attitude no matter how much one player thinks they deserve to have it all

Also wouldn’t have given it to Talbot, yep she was good, but Nicholson was better both ends

Also don’t think Allison was worthy of sixth man

But then not sure who really was
It was a season where every team ran their starters and left their bench to be the sir gators for the most part

Reply #824695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Caps did them selves out of having a player win 6th man by rotating Griffin and Melbourne. Tupeaea would have been close too if not for injury.

Reply #824703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MVP voting system works this way: "Both coaches and the lead official in each game conducted 3-2-1 votes, with a maximum of nine votes possible."

So coaches' votes determined who got the MVP gong. Probably the best people to make that call, I reckon.

Reply #824713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuc why not a fan of Blicavs?

Reply #824718 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nothing major - I just feel like she's capable of more than she has produced. So it's been good this season to see her playing at a level where Brondello needs to keep a serious eye on her.

Reply #824801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two way podcast didn't agree with many either.
worst opals team predictions I’ve ever seen from these guys.
Worthington seems like a guy on the edge.

Reply #824802 | Report this post

Which teams remaining in the finals has an assistant coach who is male, bald and a big sized man.

Reply #824817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne?

Reply #824834 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

I'm a bit higher on Blicavs, Luuc. I think she's a classic example of a player who suffered a major injury at exactly the wrong time. Took her a long time to get back to her best (it's the nature of that injury unfortunately), but she's been great this season.

Reply #824835 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Wish I had left those few words out of my original post because my intent was praise rather than be interpreted as having a go at her. And yes I agree that she seemed ready to hit top gear when she copped that injury.

I think being in a deep team with other weapons has taken some of the reliance off her, and she has been great at staying in attack mode rather than just deferring to those other options - which would be very easy to do in that team.

Reply #824837 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:35 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754