7:15pm Local Time
8:15pm AEDT

Live on Foxtel, Kayo & ABC iView.
Replay on ABC TV

(1) Southside Flyers vs (2) Townsville Fire

Topic #47886 | Report this topic

Ryan  
Years ago

Not sure if this is allowed, but I wrote a preview for this game for the Flyers. Don't get paid for it or anything, but it took a lot of work, so would be great for at least someone to see it!

https://wnbl.basketball/southside/news/tale-of-the-tape-flyers-vs-fire-preview/

They aren't usually this Liz centric, but she has flat out dominated the Fire so far.

Reply #824922 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Nice! Great read, Ryan.

Do you mind sharing where you got your advanced stats from?

Reply #824928 | Report this post

Ryan  
Years ago

Thanks man! I go over the film and track everything myself in a spreadsheet. Doesn't seem to be any other way at the moment unfortunately

Reply #824937 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Jeez that is a lot of work. Kudos for making the effort.

Reply #824938 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Great stuff Ryan! I was wondering when Synergy expanded to the WNBL.

Reply #824942 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

You do realise Boomers play caps BEFORE this game , you would think the only team in the entire competition was Flyers .
11 of their 13 played games all on Foxtel or ANC while all the other teams relegated to kayo

How are other teams supposed to get exposure to get sponsors when Flyers take up everything, not enough that good old Gerry Jayco pours squillions in fir them to buy a tram , then they get every ounce of airtime allocated by WNBL and BA in every media outlet

Really well balanced equality here !!!???

Reply #824946 | Report this post

Vodka 42  
Years ago

ANON the thread for the Caps v Boomers game is here - https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/47887-wnbl-sf2-canberra-vs-melbourne-dec-16th/ if you'd like to post about that matchup.

Reply #824950 | Report this post

Ryan  
Years ago

Yea I wrote that for the Flyers, that's why it is extremely biased.

Reply #824951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chill out. Maybe blame the WNBL the flyers don't have any say in which games get played on ABC. I’d assume the WNBL made the decision that Cambage would bring in the most outside viewers

Reply #824968 | Report this post

Vodka 42  
Years ago

Thanks Ryan!

Awesome job with these articles. I have been wondering who has been writing them as your name isn't listed. I enjoyed your piece about O'Hea on the defensive end the other week and other pieces you've written.

Charting per possession by hand sounds like a lot of hard work, you might need to learn to scrape the play by play (although you won't get the pick and roll ppp) and other bits of info you use.

Reply #824969 | Report this post

Ryan  
Years ago

Thanks Vodka, nice to hear some people are enjoying them. It's a bit of a pain but thankfully there weren’t too many games this year!

Reply #824975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not feeling too confident about the flyers tonight but hope they can pull off the win

Reply #824986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldnt shoot much better in the 1st

Reply #824991 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Decent 1st quarter by Southside

Reply #824992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not much defence going on in the first quarter

Reply #824993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal getting abused so far

Reply #824996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Nicholson free? Genuinely did not get touched

Reply #824997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liz continuously getting hit and nothing.

Reply #824998 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Getting feisty out there. I like it.
Home court proving fairly advantageous so far.

Reply #824999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell's best game of the season.
Still shouldn’t make opals with the players she’s up against in Tokyo.

Reply #825000 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Mitchell is cooked

as a result of being on fire for the first 20 minutes

Reply #825001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umps seem to be letting the crowd into the game a little bit

Reply #825002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Likely pgs for WC teams could be...

fujioka, motohashi, yoshida, machida, Hartley, epoupa, bernies, fathoux, allemand, capreaux, abdelkader, bird, Carter, Canada, ionescu, Dangerfield, oneill, palau, ouvina, cazorla, Romero, colley, langlois, wang, stanacev

I'm not sure Mitchell can compete defensively with most of those.

Reply #825003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umps seem to be letting the crowd into the game a little bit

loved how people were talking like there was no home court advantage this season, fire have had the biggest advantage in league history

Reply #825004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shit!

Reply #825005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been saying that all season, people suggesting Seebohm was some magic worker (not saying he’s not a good coach) but that home court/crowd advantage cannot be underestimated in helping the Fire get to where they are

Reply #825006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs need to get some composure here, crowd shouldn't determine the fouls buddy

Reply #825007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can u tell the the crowd is a factor. I call bs.

Reply #825008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bc the crowd is screaming and the refs are making awful calls. Either it's the crowd or the refs are just crap

Reply #825009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liz Cambage is an absolute child ....awful sportsmanship and will be a loose cannon for the opals

Reply #825012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cambage after those free throws was hilarious, she's so entertaining

Reply #825013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Liz Cambage is an absolute child ....awful sportsmanship'

You must be a really fun person. That was quality entertainment, if the crowds gonna boo her no reason she can’t have a little fun back at them

Reply #825014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Commentators hinting at a possible O'Hea comeback? I thought her injury was a minimum 6 weeks

Reply #825015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville or Melbourne?

Reply #825016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks troll....yes I am a fun person thanks heaps for noticing ....sheesh! Lighten up ....Mrs C ....let's see if Lizzie goes skipping and giggling when playing Griner or a Fowler ret el ....haha ...just commenting champ .....cheers

Reply #825017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers post probably too deep for the fire.
Not enough from payne, Mckay and z tonight,

Reply #825018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*** Griner or a Fowles ** ...peace

Reply #825019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You want me to lighten up? You're the one complaining about a player having a little fun with the crowd, nothing serious, you definitely need to relax. Ms Cambage living rent free in your mind

Reply #825021 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Cannot stand watching scam age on the court, it's disgraceful her attitude , imagine how good she could be if she found some humility, but in saying that last night she got very little called and they literally were hanging off her at times .

Her overall attitude is what causes her more grief, she’s a disrespectful person but wants everyone to respect her

Shame she can’t take a leaf from Magbegor or Mitchell , both exemplary players and people on and off the court , they are both a pleasure to watch , their is a huge difference between being confident and being an arrogant ahole ....

Reply #825044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get over it, it's good to have different personalities in sports, can’t all be Jenna O’Hea

Reply #825048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly right. Personalities make the game more entertaining. She's not hurting anyway just having a little fun

Reply #825053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She is no different to the way Lebron carries on, on the court, so why the difference? Some times she goes over the top but generally I don't see a problem. She plays with passion and shows her emotions, if players don't everyone complains about them being boring and bland.

Due to her being such a physically dominate player and slight contact from her on other players appears worse than it really is, where she can absorb contact. Bit like a truck crashing into a mini and a train..... That's where I see it. Contact is contact, calls shouldn't be made on how much you can take.

Reply #825058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with what you say about contact, but she was on the ground more than any of the other bigs on the court last night in a blatant attempt to milk fouls.

Reply #825062 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#058 LeBron is also annoying so that doesn't help your point.

Reply #825070 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

(The difference being he wins titles so people let it go. Time for Liz to start winning too.)

Reply #825071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She was on the floor all night bc the Fire were being overly aggressive towards her because they knew they could be without consequence

Reply #825076 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Leilani Mitchell is a class act. On and off court.

Reply #825078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#076 how is that any different to any other team/player targeting weaknesses of other players... posting up tiny guards, driving at less mobile players? Bigs using their height and length advantage to swat away shots??

Reply #825079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's different bc players use illegal techniques to beat Cambage, posting up on small players isn’t against the rules last time I checked?

Reply #825083 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:07 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754