Friday December 18th
6:00pm Local Time
7:00pm AEDT
Live on ABC iView, Foxtel & Kayo
Replay on ABC TV

Topic #47896 | Report this topic

ANON  
Years ago

Think Melbourne might just pull this one off, even though Fire have beaten them twice, if Boomers come out like they did last night they may just take this home

Reply #825041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fire are gonna need some more contribution from the rest of their team if they're gonna beat Melbourne on Friday. Nicholson and Heal can’t have 30 point games every game

Reply #825054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't care who wins. But whoever wins, please beat Liz.

Reply #825074 | Report this post

Vodka 42  
Years ago

I wonder if any teams will push Nicholson to her right hand this season. I don't track track every possession like Ryan (new poster - preview of Southside v Tville game) although it seems like she does all her damage going left (interesting for a right handed player).

Reply #825206 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Nicholson drives left and puts the lay up in with her right hand and draws the foul almost every time

Reply #825209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My god Liz lives rent free in some of y'all’s minds

Reply #825210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't work out why 3 Opals and 5 Tall Ferns didn't go undefeated. Then add Garrick, more depth than anyone..... Massive failed season if they don't win the whole thing.

Reply #825213 | Report this post

Vodka 42  
Years ago

Not a single mention of Liz in this thread. She isn't playing in this game.

Reply #825215 | Report this post

Vodka 42  
Years ago

If you are going to post on a comment I've made can you make up a different use name.
Cheers,
Vodka 42

Reply #825227 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

regret, ABCiview quality is almost unwhatchably bad

Reply #825235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Not a single mention of Liz in this thread. She isn't playing in this game.'

Read the thread. Someone says ‘whoever wins, please beat Liz’. You’ve made my point, she isn’t playing in this game and yet people are still talking about her

Reply #825237 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

iview all good, now. In comes the league's best 6th woman... Gonna dunk it..

Reply #825238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You just know sandy will pick her friends over the best performers.

Reply #825239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the crowd limit in Townsville? Looks empty.

Reply #825240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God Megan Hustwaite is rubbish.

Reply #825241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes 2/3 empty.

Reply #825242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stadium was packed for the Fire v Flyers game, looks a bit empty tonight

Reply #825243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats extremely disappointing given its a Townsville home game. Thought the crowds all the way along haven't been good. Shows the lack of interest in the WNBL in Queensland.

Reply #825244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just a bit strange that it's less crowded than that last night Fire game considering there seems to be more support for the Boomers than Flyers in Townsville. You’d think Fire supporters would be excited to watch their team hopefully get into the grand final, bit weird

Reply #825246 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Someone call heal a taxi, she's travelled almost every possession and nothing is called

Reply #825248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What game are you watching? Haven't seen Heal travel once

Reply #825249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Heal doesn't get picked for the Olympics.....

Reply #825250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It'll be Mitchell Madgen Ebzery, just like the last 3 years.

Reply #825251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal is smashing. Can't miss

Reply #825252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't disagree with that. Although the fact Sandy is at the game gives me some faith she’s paying attention to Heal

Reply #825253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

time to get garrick off, she is killing the boomers

Reply #825254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't they take
4 guards
4 forwards
4 centres

Or close to that ?
So heal would be 4th pg

Reply #825255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taking 4 centres would be dumb. You need more wings.

Reply #825256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McKay is good. Very physical

Reply #825257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2018 olympics
Guarss were
Mitchell
Lavey
Phillips
Ebzery

Two spots to fill in the guard positions

Reply #825258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big play Magbegor.

Reply #825259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've got Townsville hanging on here.

Reply #825260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think Townsville are choking, Melbourne to win from here

Reply #825262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2018 had no Phillips or mitchell

Reply #825263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That last possession from Townsville was very disorganised.

Reply #825264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Townsville. Heal too good.

Reply #825266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goodbye molloy?

Reply #825267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Madgen scored 0 second half.

Reply #825268 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You r a useless coach Molloy!!!!!!!
Please don't give him another year!!!!

Reply #825269 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Oh my Molloy.

Reply #825272 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Hopefully that now is the last we have to see of Molloy and zboomers can start a rebuild minus tall ferns and their coach

Reply #825274 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Madgen scored 0 second half.

She was like a deer in head lights , couldn't make a firm decision the entire night, she was cooked at half time, Garrick played great as but god she makes some bad shot choices

Reply #825275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebzery, Heal
Talbot, Nicholson, Whitcomb
Allen, Ohea
Magbegor, George, Smith
Cambage, Tolo

1 of these is getting cut for another pg.

Reply #825280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Choices,,,

Mitchell
Madgen
Lavey
Rocci
Mansfield
Wallace
Mangakahia

Reply #825281 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

At some point this season, Garrick needed to start hitting shots consistently. 31-FG% and 27-3P% just doesn't cut it.

Reply #825292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal offensively absolutely destroyed Garrick which I think impacted on her ability to be the offensive threat that the Boomers so desperately needed! Cayla disappeared in that game last night & especially at the defensive end with some absolutely horrible defensive rotations which led to easy buckets for the Fire. Ezi would be the only Boomer who could walk around today with her head held high given at times she carried her much more experienced teammates thru last night's game. Molloy’s player rotations are very hard to understand at times but when you’ve struggled offensively all night I wouldn’t recommend playing Beck & Wright together in your back court when they are at times offensive liabilities.

Reply #825307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best defense I've seen from heal all,season which shows she capable.

Reply #825309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely this now needs to be the end of Molloy at Melbourne boomers! how many seasons has he had and how many championships he won? just can't get there there. Time for a change

Reply #825314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And with by far the biggest budget.

Reply #825315 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Surely this now needs to be the end of Molloy at Melbourne boomers! how many seasons has he had and how many championships he won? just can't get there there. Time for a change

12 seasons for zero championships. That must be a record in terms of opportunity given and being title-less in both the WNBL and NBL?

Reply #825325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has he seriously been around for 12 seasons?? With that budget how he has not won a championship is baffling

Reply #825335 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Today

Has he seriously been around for 12 seasons?? With that budget how he has not won a championship is baffling

Don't think it’s 12 , more like 8 but still a very long time

He’s 4 years in the job over what he should have been for sure

Reply #825336 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

" Molloy began his coaching career with the WNBL Canberra Capitals in 1989 before switching to men's coaching. From 1993-96 he returned to the WNBL and coached the Perth Breakers to four consecutive finals appearances, including a grand final loss at the buzzer. In 1995, he was awarded the WNBL Coach of the Year award for the first time.

After a lengthy stint as an assistant coach in the NBL with the SE Melbourne Magic and Victoria Titans, he moved north to head coach the fledgling Cairns Taipans from 2000-05, taking the club to its maiden finals appearance in 2004. He moved to the South Dragons in 2006 as an assistant coach, and eventually reunited his partnership with Brian Goorjian in 2008-09 when the Dragons won the NBL Championship.

In between NBL seasons, Molloy did a ton of high-level junior men’s coaching leading Vic Metro U18’s to three successive gold medals, and three Australian teams to the quarter-finals or better at FIBA World Cups, the highlight being the 2012 Australian U17 men’s team which won the silver medal.

2013 saw a return to where it all started in the WNBL, this time as the head coach of the Deakin Melbourne Boomers, picking up the accolade of Coach of the Year for the 2013-14 season and another finals appearance. Molloy has been with the club ever since.

“I had been coaching men’s basketball for a long time, and I was ready for something different. A good friend of mine, Lori Chizik, and another person who was to become a good friend, Linda Perry, both talked to me about the possibility of coaching the Boomers."

“I thought, I’ll do it for a year and see where things sit after that. It’s now seven years later and I’m still here.”

“It hasn’t been a smooth, continuous journey at all. The Boomers have gone through a complete life-change, from the old model as an arm of the Bulleen-Templestowe Basketball Club into the new model of private ownership and professionalism; a model under which the Club has flourished. We’ve had so many challenges and problems, but I’m just proud to have served the Club so long and hope to enjoy coaching while the Club is at such a wonderful point.”

As for career highlights whilst at the Boomers, Molloy points to his unheralded first team in 2013-14 which defied odds and made finals, and then his 2017-18 team which won an amazing semi-final series vs Perth but lost the grand final series to Townsville after three fierce games. “

He’s been going for a very long time lol

Reply #825337 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yep, he goes back to the 80s and in the 90s had a stacked Perth Breakers team. Add in NBL stint at Cairns and he has been failing for a very long time. No one else would be even close to having this much of an opportunity without a Championship.

Reply #825341 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So that's 17 seasons in total as a head coach combining both WNBL and NBL, spanning 1989 to present. Amazing.

Reply #825344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so not being able to make it in men's basketball -now we know why- he was back to wnbl with boomers in 2013. Club management obviously haven't heard Einstein's famous line "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result". Don't be surprised if they give him another extension next year..they must be thinking about that broken clock that shows the correct time twice a day and get hopeful.

Reply #825355 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Maybe he needs to go into politics, he seems to be able to profit enough BS to get a job, lol.

But you would have to think, unless he's got financial input into Melbourne Boomers , this would be his last season , even he himself must be able to see he needs to move on

Reply #825399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know, everyone on here has been saying for years 'surely this is his last season’ but the Boomers seem to love him. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him extend his contract

Reply #825402 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:44 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754