2BALLZ
Years ago

BWA Champs week

Final week of the 2020 BWA state championships.
Entertain me with your stories the good ,the bad ,the ugly and the stoopid, go.....

Topic #47910 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

* stupid.

Reply #825494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendat as a venue is a nightmare. Not enough seating for spectators and teams waiting around the venue. Cafe is overpriced, understaffed and lines too long. Good to see them open extra parking across the road but this isn't an ideal solution.

Reply #825600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the same complaints for the hard product as always. What about the soft product? Comps wise?

Reply #825638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was interesting to see the country kids represent different clubs over the different weeks. Multiple Bunbury players and teams in D2 then coming down with the same group in a different uniform for champ weekend.
Shows theirs a tonne of talent out there, especially in the south west.
If they could get their collective shit together could really be a powerhouse

Reply #825642 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

South West will never get their collective shit together. Never on God's green earth will Bunbury acknowledge or even contemplate any other association within 100kms of them, being on their same level. If Bunbury, Eaton and Australind all put their differences aside, it would be scary what a Greater Bunbury team / program would look like. It would also significantly increase any funding applications they lodge to upgrade the South West Sports Centre. They complain that mining should pay for the Kalgoorlie redevelopment, but then by that logic ALCOA and the Forestry Industry should pay for the SWSC redevelopment then. Whilst the argument will be made that you have three different stadiums in three different local governments within 20km of each other in the greater Bunbury region - simply put you have ten courts across those 3 facilities which should be more than enough if all three associations learnt how to get along. You sat in your hands when you had all the Men's success in the 90s and then did the same approach with the women winning titles in the 00s yet now want to cry wolf and poor Bunbury we have nothing. If you're not careful your southern cousins in Busselton and to a lesser extent Margaret River - who do have their houses in order a lot more than their apparent more elite northern relatives, will soon overtake you on court as well as off of it (I just hope someone down in Busselton can upgrade the 1980s uniforms those poor kids have to wear!)

Loved the commentary on the live stream too, especially using the three guys over the day. Josh has natural energy on the microphone whilst Travis clearly knew slot of the players and coaches and their backgrounds so they complimented each other very well, especially on the 17 Men's Final with Travis coaching in that same division all weekend - was very impressed with that. Keegan was also very good given his recent wnbl experience and clearly knowing the athletes from his various roles he has had within BWA. It would be great to get similar commentary back for next year's championships.

Parking will always be a problem, particularly when there are athletic events on the same day. Perhaps BWA and Athletics WA need to liaise more to ensure events don't clash as much in the future. Something I was very impressed by was the traffic marshalls on the road stopping traffic for people to get across and also in the carpark over the road as well as somewhat or a security presence too.

Reply #825681 | Report this post

2BALLZ  
Years ago

South West is the same story as the Eastside of Perth, East Perth, Kalamunda, Mundaring, all can't get their shit together, and there are a large portion of kids still playing at both of the Swan active comps at altone and midland.

If they could get their shit together collectively they could become a powerhouse with a huge talent pool that could compete against the bigger clubs.
They all seem to be content to be hopelessly mediocre, barely winning games at state champs and fighting to not get the wooden spoon against the southwest teams in the WABL.

Most of the talented kids on the Eastside already play between all the Eastside clubs and Redbacks anyway,some even travels far as Warwick, swinging from one centre to the next and one club to the next season by season.

The Eastside needs a huge basketball venue built to rival what the wolves, hawks, willeton and Rockingham have.

One huge 8 to 10 court centre and a forced emalgamation of those clubs for the greater good.

The eastside has the talent it just needs to combine all that talent into one club.

Reply #825688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Essentially Slammers needs to be disbanded at junior level. The region all hate each other and don't want to compete WITH each other.

The Slammers started as a brand for the SBL license. It went on to represent everything in the South West, which doesn't reflect how it is down there.

The Peel region is an example of various associations working well together. South West is a joke.

Reply #825706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does having the CEO of BWA as Slammers CEO help solve these issues or make them worse?

Reply #825713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched the livestreams, surprised at how bad the talent was.
I know a few teams had injuried players but...
06/07 kids may be competitive.

Vic, qld, sa are so far ahead.
I would argue tas has more talent than wa atm.

Reply #825716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair effort by R@nD0m on the Sunday, was commentating by himself for a game at 12:00, coaching on court 2 at 12:45, back behind the mic at 1:30 then coached a semi final at 2:15 before finishing off commentating with Garlepp on the two U19 Finals later Sunday arvo. For everyone who whinged about different things that could have been done better, maybe use Travis' efforts as a volunteer in different capacities and instead of complaining, ask what you can do to make the sport better in our state - we definitely need more R@nD0m's in WA Basketball.

Reply #825758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Thanks R@nDom

Reply #825767 | Report this post

R@nD0m  
Years ago

Clearly wasn't me idiot - Unlike others I don't need the self praise and i'm certainly not sure we need any more than 1 of me in the state haha. Whoever the poster was thanks but I knew what I was getting myself in for when I agreed to do the commentating when Brent and Josh asked me. No big deal re going back and forth between coaching and commentating given both games I coached that day were on Court 2!

For mine, the highlights were the amount of close games there were over the last weekend. It was great having games staggered in each age group too so other teams could watch each other whereas in years past each grade and pool would play at the same time. The parking situation did improve but I must ask do we really need to close off the Underground Carpark to just 'VIP's? 100 odd more people parking underneath would probably be a lot more welcomed than parking across the road or in some cases up at HBF Stadium. I understand parking will always be our biggest issue at Bendat but I agree with the earlier poster that maybe BWA do need to liaise with Athletics WA a bit more and see if we can get both major tournaments on weekends which do not clash so much, to avoid the parking headaches each and every year.

Congrats to all the winners on the weekend, safe & merry christmas to everyone in our Basketball WA community and here's hoping for a bit more normal 2021!

Reply #825771 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:58 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754