Joe
Years ago

Is the NBL start in trouble

With the border closures can the NBL start. WA now closing the board to VIC. Guessing Perth can't travel.

Topic #47935 | Report this topic

Shano76  
Years ago

Will have to be a hub, just a question of where.

Reply #826233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have set up a bubble a month ago, pick a centre and get on with it. NZ would've been good.

Reply #826234 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Brisbane will work

Reply #826235 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

#NBLinRadelaide

Reply #826237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#234 you couldn't get into NZ a month ago so nice one champ

Reply #826238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok Brisbane then.

Reply #826246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut saying Tassie

Reply #826248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully it's just Perth and the NSW teams that need to relocate, with states other than WA staying accomodating towards pro sport

Reply #826249 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Why would Perth need to

Reply #826251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#249 WA's borders are open to everyone but NSW and Victoria so your post makes zero sense

Reply #826255 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yes, there will continue to be challenges.
The NBL may need to consider a shortened season, and will need to be flexible with its fixturing.

As I understand it, SA, QLD, and WA are ok, so play their home games against the others, until other cities open up.
Breakers are screwed, but they already knew that.

They may have to look at playing "series", and uneven fixturing with some kind of profit split.

A Hub is not going to work, unless somebody is prepared to tip in big dollars to cover the losses.
Rather than play neutral games in Bumfuck Nowhere, in front of nobody, it makes more sense to play "Home" games where you can and split the profit.
And pray hard that Sydney and Melbourne get this under control, so they can host a ton of games in the back end.

Reply #826267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's do what Bogut says.

Reply #826268 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Hopefully it's just Perth and the NSW teams that need to relocate, with states other than WA staying accomodating towards pro sport
How did you try to type "the three Victorian teams" and end up typing "Perth"?

If they can get Sydney and Illawarra Wollongong Illawarra The Hawks out of NSW by tomorrow, and assuming the Phoenix and Breakers are already out of Victoria (which seems to be happening), the planned January 15 games will be fine. Any later than that and the Wildcats might have to swap their game against the Kings with one of their other fixtures.

Unfortunately it's kicked off in the two states that are holding half the league's teams at present.

So glad we've got that hub organised for three months from now when this outbreak will likely have blown over.

Reply #826272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/47935-is-the-nbl-start-in-trouble/#p826268

He heard teams are going to Tasmania you spanner.
Confirmed by Olgun

Reply #826285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy New year people.

Reply #826286 | Report this post

Truth Seeker  
Years ago

Tassie would be reasonable marketing for tge league and allow the new teams to get those birth/growing pains sorted without it impacting their bottom line. Also everyone's neutral.

Smart management.

Reply #826287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who is paying this?

Reply #826288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why TF did anyone at any point think that Melb/VIC would be a good place for a mass gathering??!

Reply #826295 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The league cant afford to jump at shadows every time a handful of cases pop up. Melbourne gets three, and suddenly Hawks and Phoenix are relocating. A season like this will be totally unviable.... UNLESS....

Unless they play the bloody entire thing in Tasmania. It's the only state that doesn't have a COVID problem and doesn't seem to have recurrences. The whole idea of a "NBL CUP" where the league is in a bubble in the one place that has consistently failed to keep the virus under wraps has always been a joke and has always smacked of a Melbourne-centric league. The NBL will be playing musical chairs with teams and locations all season if they don't either accept small outbreaks or move the whole thing

Reply #826298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clubs foot the bill.

Reply #826299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are Tasmanians going to buy tickets to dozens of games though? Doesn't the NBL need tickets sale to make the season remotely viable?

Reply #826301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There won't be games in Tasmania. It's only 2 teams so far.

Reply #826304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME the issue isn't the NBL jumping at shadows it’s states like WA that have immediately closed its borders to both NSW and VIC. If the teams didn’t relocate they can’t get into WA for example. The league is reacting to what the states are doing, not the other way around

Reply #826305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ME, also Victoria had it well under control but nsw lost the plot and Victoria let it back in. As above WA locking the border every two minutes doesn't help.

Reply #826307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic never had it under control until thei recent 6 week lock down.

Reply #826308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The following is extracted from the article at https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-01/nbl-teams-set-to-scramble-out-of-melbourne-due-covid-19-outbreak/13025708

'"Given the current situation in Melbourne we have decided it's prudent for both clubs [Phoenix and Breakers] to relocate to Hobart and they will be accommodated and train there under strict COVID protocols," NBL commissioner Jeremy Loeliger said:

"This will give us time to assess and work through the next steps required as we prepare for the forthcoming NBL season.

"We hope the current restrictions and resulting border closures will be eased as quickly as possible but we will need to stay flexible in our approach and we will continue to be guided by the advice of the relevant state health authorities."

The NBL had planned to host a hub in Melbourne from February 20 for a month-long blitz of 36 games but that is now in jeopardy.'

Reply #826309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart it is!

Reply #826316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you actually read the article, its isn't quite right.
"NBL clubs South East Melbourne Phoenix and New Zealand Breakers will temporarily move to Hobart following a fresh COVID-19 outbreak in Victoria."

Then it goes onto say "Sydney Kings and Illawarra Hawks recently moved to the NSW border city of Albury, but they too will be moved due to the worsening situation.
The NBL is yet to announce where those two teams will be shifted."

So they are in fact going into limbo land.

Reply #826318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart has hardly any basketball courts, re the DEC getting refurbished now and brand new courts next to it for public use. If anymore teams go to Tasmania it will need to be around Ulverstone, Bernie, Davenport and Launceston.

Reply #826322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The dec has one court. Not an issue.
Moonah 3. Kingston 3. Warrane 1. 4 teams would train once a day? Not a problem. Phoenix already here.

Reply #826323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many courts are realistically needed to cover playing and training for the whole league?
5 absolute max IMO.
Tassie no worries.

Reply #826324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

9 teams in Tassie.
Play 24 games ( each team three times)
No home court advantage.
2 to 3 games per week.
10 week season plus finals.
Start late January to early April.
Finals over by late April.

Reply #826325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

H2H used as tiebreaker.

Reply #826326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#325 dreaming

Reply #826327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like that idea as long as Fox are on board.

Reply #826328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie been wanting a team for decades, now they get a whole league!!!

Reply #826329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put teams in different locations in Tasmania, I bet the locals will love it.

Reply #826330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah the crowds at the blitz last year were massive hahaha

Reply #826331 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Wonder if it's possible now to have the hub to start the season and do it from tassie? That gives us a month.

Or part hub it for those 4/5 teams (nz hawks kings SEM utd)

Reply #826332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PLease understand that most courts in Tassie aren't NBL compliant. Not even the DEC according to LK (which is bullshit IMO)

Reply #826339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the afl can operate a hub out of brisbane, then the nbl could as well. But could have 2 to 3 hubs running if necessary.

Reply #826343 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I must have missed where the NBL got a TV deal worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Reply #826345 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

I live in Hobart, we do not have enough courts for the local junior and senior comps let enough the whole NBL. Local courts are that old that the roofs leak when it rains.

Love basketball and love the fact there might be some NBL games down here but it highlights once again that we are behind with having court space.

Desperately need courts like Werribee, MSAC, Dandenong, Knox etc have for the growth and sustainability of the sport.

Reply #826348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd suggest LK is going to dip into his pocket rather substantially this season.

Reply #826349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scout as previous poster mentioned before someone who doesn't no Hobart, said Hobart would be fine, the north of Tasmania can accomodate clubs and has reasonable training facilities. Ulverstone has held many a national championship. They could be spread out between Ulverstone and Launceston.

Reply #826355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refer above, crowds were paltry at the Blitz. Currently games can be played in WA, SA and Queensland. I'd expect the first 5 rounds to be scheduled to these venues and then who knows where they will Hub after that.

Reply #826366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'll make it work in Tassie if they have too...The stadiums arent up to the standard of the full blown NBL game day show but downscaled to ensure a season happens safely won’t be an issue

Reply #826367 | Report this post

dcm76  
Years ago

perhaps start the season in QLD - 2 teams in cairns 2 in townsville and the otheres based in brisbane and gold coast venues

Reply #826369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meanwhile United are still saying they'll play their first game in Bendigo on Sunday next week...

Reply #826371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#371, I find that highly unlikely

Reply #826372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will there be a season? Who's paying for all this flying around and accommodation. The wage cuts look smart now in hindsight.

Reply #826373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth has the arena, Bendat stadium how about the old challenge stadium? Surely a professional sports team can get a exemption to play?

Reply #826376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The same people who always pay for flying around..smh

Reply #826378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Currently no one will need an exemption to play in the opening round in Perth as everyone is out of VIC and NSW.

Reply #826379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um, last time I looked Albury was in NSW, that's where Sydney and Illawarra are at present. Get your map out mate. Perth should play out Adelaide if other teams can’t get exemptions to get in, or Darwin would be good. The afl seemed to be able get teams in and out though.

Reply #826380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So have mini-hubs in Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane. Forget the NBL Cup stupidity, and hopefully after a month or two, the remaining games can be played in Sydney and Melb to even things up. Sucks for NZ but there is probably more of a chance of opening a travel bubble to there than it is getting the virus under control in NSW and Victoria.

Reply #826381 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

All games can go ahead as scheduled.
The Magical Wish Fairies will protect everyone.

Since it seems we're just posting delusional nonsense.

A hub in Tasmania won't work, for the same reason it wouldn't work last month, or the month before.

If you were going to have a hub, it would need to be somewhere that at least some of the games make money. And even then all the neutral games will send their teams broke.

Sadly, their "postpone the season and hope for the best" approach has failed.

Reply #826382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do you think they went to Albury Einstein?

Reply #826383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Albury is in NSW, you can't go to any state from Albury at present, Einstein you are not.

Reply #826387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do you think they moved them there? To sit around for 2 months until the crisis eases and twiddle their thumbs. Maybe think before you make a fool of yourself flog.

Reply #826388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And you can travel out of NSW to certain states as long as your suburb is not a designated hotspot, Einstein.

Reply #826389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the point both Einstein's are missing is the fact that Kings and Hawks left the red zone areas on 26 December so can’t go anywhere (another state) until 14 days after that. That’s the real problem.

Hearing rumours of them going to Tassie, they would have to quarantine in some form until the 9th or 10th. Tassie are also being a bit more relaxed on border closures than normal. Usually they are just behind WA and Qld.

Trying to connect some of the dots.

Reply #826390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they can go to QLD or Tassie for example as of January 8. Gee that is prior to the season starting isn't it.

Reply #826391 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And...then what? The Kings have to be in Perth on the 15th, and WA isn't suburb-specific about its closures - nobody is allowed in from Victoria or NSW. So they had to be out of both of those states yesterday, minimum, in order to make it to their season opener.

So if they're still in Albury, they won't be playing.

Reply #826392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No they don't. The NBL will just change the schedule. Send a QLD team to Perth and Sydney go there. It's not that difficult

Reply #826395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane in Perth.
Cairns, Sydney and Hawks in QLD.
Both Melbourne clubs and Nz in Tassie.

Reply #826396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 hubs isn't going to work as you do not have enough referees to work the games with NSW/Vic and NZ referees unavailable

Reply #826399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure referee availability is not going to be the sticking point to a hub starting somewhere.

Reply #826400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville Bulletin from this morning suggested that a hub might be set up in Townsville after the WNBL successfully did it.
https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/townsville/townsville-is-in-line-to-host-another-season-of-toptier-basketball-this-time-the-nbl/news-story/c3cf8e2d86b94853e8f6c0056ece5011

Reply #826402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a difference between 1 Hub and 3 Hubs. With referee's from those 3 areas excluded you have about 10 referee's of NBL standard left across the whole country

Reply #826403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like QLD border will be closing soon. QLD Facebook states QLDers should start making their way home ASAP. I am assuming will be closed to all NSW and VIC. Here we go again!!!!

Reply #826417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys, no nbl this year. Refs aren't available, let's shut it all down.

Reply #826428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes a few weeks out and it's turned to poop. Shut it down. Cases on the increase in Melb (again) it's going to be a while yet until the antidate gets here and even then the other strains will persist.

Reply #826430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#428 unfortunately they are a necessity or you get what the WNBL dished up

Reply #826431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's shut down everything for a handful of cases.
Smh

Reply #826433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talk to the state premiers numbnuts

Reply #826435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Talk to the state premiers numbnuts" About what exactly? Sydney and Illawarra afaik are in the exclusion zone, Phoenix and Breakers are in Tassie already. So please tell us how it's all going to work? I await your response which is extremely unlikely.

Reply #826438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not the NBL, I don’t have to give you the answer idiot. The NBL moved teams because states were going to close their borders to NSW and VIC. Thus if the teams stayed cross state travel would have been impossible. So the NBL reacted to states like WA jumping at shadows after 3 cases of community transmission. That simple enough you dumbass

Reply #826442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#438 Albury is in nsw, the hawks and kings can not fly to WA without going into quarantine. It's closed to all nsw. The easy way out is bubble in Perth or move Perth to play out of a friendlier state.

Reply #826444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please keep up. NSW teams don't have to play in Perth immediately. Plenty of other clubs can.

Reply #826450 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

But the Kings are currently scheduled to play in Perth on the 15th. At a minimum, fixtures will have to be rearrnged but at present there's no indication the NBL thinks it can't get its normal fixtures off (including United just yesterday announcing that the Bendigo game in eight days is still going ahead).

Reply #826451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll keep up but at present you are making it up.

Reply #826458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#458 OMG do mummy and daddy know you're on the internet?

Reply #826460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the schedule changes I'll comfortably say I told you so. Was it the league who cancelled tonights Cairns v United game? No I don't think so

Reply #826461 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Was it the league who cancelled tonights Cairns v United game?
I haven't seen anything saying it was canceled?

Reply #826462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you should be able to tell me the score then seeing as it should be completed?

Reply #826465 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It was planned as a private, closed-door scrimmage. I hadn't seen it promoted anywhere at any point. So the lack of information about it doesn't really indicate much.

It may have been canceled, sure, but you're the one making the claim so it's on you to provide evidence for it.

Reply #826467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calm down kober. You're an internet nerd.

Reply #826469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course he is but in this case he's right. It's a scrimmage and both coaches will be experimenting I would have been experimenting and the score line is meaningless.

Reply #826471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will make sure we all know he is right and that is the problem.
Arrogance.

Reply #826474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have moved to Tassie so they can still travel interstate... Nothing to do with playing games there. What's so hard to understand.

Reply #826476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gosh this thread is toxic

Reply #826477 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

It's a Townsville hub,lock it in.

Reply #826485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You better have evidence for KR lol

Reply #826486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha. /citation

Reply #826487 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

I don't understand the point of hubs. When teams in Adelaide, Perth and Queensland can move freely why make them base elsewhere? Reality is its the 2 Vic and 2 NSW teams affected, they should do the Breakers model and base in a safe state (Tassi, WA, SA, Qld) until things look better. Hubs will just penalise teams from safe states unnecessarily.

Reply #826489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ TB, now that sounds like a good idea. Would two teams in Tasmania and two in Canberra do the trick until it's under control.

Reply #826490 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Also when people use the AFL hub as a model they forget that the hubs moved, yes Queensland had the majority but Perth, Adelaide and even Sydney at the start had hubs to even the draw. I can't see the NBL doing this.
It makes the most sense and evenness to relocate the NSW and Vic teams.

Reply #826491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which they have

Reply #826492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both NSW teams are still in NSW, Melbourne are in Cairns before the Victorian lock down. Phoenix and NZ are in Hobart, so two out of five isn't quite what they have.

Reply #826493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's a novel idea, cancel the season. How can teams afford to live away from home for the entirety? Fans, if allowed will be at least cut in half, not good for one of leagues cash streams.
Every few weeks there's a new outbreak somewhere and hard borders go up, does the NBL really have the resources to keep shuffling pieces around? If one squad member gets it, all games against them will be cancelled, when will they be made up?
As for playing in a single hub like the women, what's the point of that, millions of dollars in players payment in a venue and no tv deal to offset the costs.
Vaccine rollout in March will not be a silver bullet, but fingers crossed it will have things under control until everyone has access to it later in year.
AFL took a hammering financially, and they have TV money.
So instead of all these bright ideas of teams moving to safe states, hubs etc, just shut it down. Yes it's disappointing, but it's just flogging a dead horse. It's not financially viable!

Reply #826497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#497 you'd be fun at parties. Players already getting paid, imports in the country, might be better get the show on the road and have season and yes the owners will have to pay with sponsors.

Reply #826499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" the owners will have to pay with sponsors." So the clubs have sponsors and they are paying to sponsor exactly what? NO home games. I doubt any sponsors atm.

Reply #826500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

# 500, please open your eyes, all clubs have sponsors on there uniforms, plus main sponsors like , Bunnings, MG, chemist warehouse, hungry jacks, sports bet, Kmart, qantas, Latrobe financial, Aldi mobile plus other secondary sponsors. It's ideal situation but it’s still very viable.

Reply #826501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't the Sixers have a caravan park sponsorship on their uniforms recently and the obnoxious owner courtside?
Sure, hungry jacks,MG might pump 6 figures into the league each, but the trickle down is negligible. If it was so simple the league wouldn't need crowds to save it.
And as mentioned above, who sees the sponsorship? And if you haven't noticed, a lot of those secondary sponsors will be doing it tough, don't think they'll chuck in 10 grand as a whim.
And don't imports have to play a certain amount of games for money to be guaranteed? If so there goes a lot of your expenditure. Have a freaking hub tournament with the locals to get something out of them, shit, a state of origin series has always been mentioned, do that instead.
Otherwise the league may totally be gone next year trying to flog this dead horse.

Reply #826503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It'll happen and you don’t have to watch it.
Yes those sponsors won’t cover all the cost, all that were mentioned above are hardly small time companies, Bunnings and hungry jacks are huge but as you say if there is a short fall the owners and the league will have to chip in. I for one can’t wait to watch some games.
The virus will probably still be in play by the stat of the next season, do we stop again, life moves forward, you have to adapt. The afl borrowed big time to keep there season afloat last season, they have a lot more teams and much larger squads, do you think they are not going to start next season. They start preseason in late February, let’s follow your idea and cancel.
It’s time to get on with it.

Reply #826504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much did the AFL get from their TV deal to make up for loss of crowds?
So the league and owners are just going to give money away?
Bunnings and Hungry Jack's are huge companies, but doubt they are investing millions. And HJ,s recoup a lot of their money in their cheeseburger promotion, who's going to just grab a free cheeseburger that cost 5cents to manufacture anyway.
I want to watch games as well, it's just that there's no money to be made, that's the be all and end all. Let's face it, league was struggling before covid and LK invested in it. How's it going to survive moving teams around and accommodating them in front of maybe crowds in best case scenario.
Teams lost money, add accommodation etc to that ledger. Nbl owners aren't Mark Cuban, not bottomless pits, otherwise all teams could be like Perth.
Yes, AFL has started, but if outbreak becomes big again, wait for hubs to reemerge. And AFL with all their money from tv totally struggled.
It's great living in fantasy land with rainbows and lollipops. But hard facts are that NBL can't survive in economic and medical climate.

Reply #826507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh please, the men's A league and W league have started and there hardly in a better position than the basketball. It’s about keeping the sport in people’s eyes or the young players and supporters look elsewhere.
I just hope the people running the nbl have more foresight than you and keep it going as it looks like.
All players have been receiving payment for this season contract, that’s was the agreement for player reductions, I’m certain they would rather play than just getting there money. There is no way all imports are going to just leave without payment, lots of money has been paid out already, let’s get on with it.

Reply #826508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I ask again who will pay the the players in the NBL Cup.

Reply #826509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's part of there contract, part of the same money they have been getting since first July.

Reply #826511 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The players are employees of the club, their pay isn't competition-based.

Reply #826512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you keep it in supporters eyes if they're in different states and can't stream it?

Reply #826513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A league going great guns in an outside venue.

After an increase in NSW coronavirus cases scuppered Western Sydney's plans for a bumper day of football, Western United's Monday night clash with Adelaide United has suddenly been bumped to the top of the run sheet.

The original plan was a much different one.

The A-League and W-League were scheduled to kick off in a double-header at Bankwest Stadium on Sunday with Western Sydney's A-League team to face newcomers Macarthur FC.

After coronavirus forced last season to be played in a hub, the new A-League season was due to become one of the biggest beneficiaries of NSW's plan to allow a return to full-capacity crowds.

Then the northern beaches cluster emerged.

First, the A-League announced any fixtures affected by border closures such as the grand final rematch between Sydney FC and Melbourne City would be postponed.

The league reshuffled fixtures, scheduling games between the six teams based in NSW and seemingly keeping the A-League opener on track while matching interstate teams against each other.

Then, on Wednesday, the double-header planned for December 27 was pushed back by three days, with permitted crowd capacity in NSW reduced to 50 per cent.

As a result, the season will open with 2019-20 semi-finalists Western United playing out of one of their temporary home grounds and hosting last season's seventh-placed finishers Adelaide in front of what is likely to be a small crowd.

Reply #826514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fuck Kobe... look at that https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nbl-preseason-contest-canned-at-last-minute/news-story/cee5a8afacf40f6547a08f880db79511

Reply #826516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe said "I haven't seen anything saying it was canceled?"
You have now. Idiot.

Reply #826519 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's pay walled. And when I said I hadn't seen anything, I hadn't seen that.

"I haven't seen X" is not the same as "X does not exist."

Reply #826521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So a sore loser too haha such a douche

Reply #826522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And as usual you don't know everything

Reply #826523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would they not stream it, it was all streamed previously. Some people just got to be miserable. Yes, there will probably have to be adjustments but it should go on.

Reply #826525 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

3 states n 1 territory have free movement between each other, so only real choice is to move the NSW, Vic n NZ teams to Qld and/or WA which have plenty of resorts and competition level facilities and have folks can/will attend games.

Reply #826526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^[ exactly.

Reply #826527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First games next weekend, let's enjoy the ride.

Reply #826531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's pay walled. And when I said I hadn't seen anything, I hadn't seen that.
"I haven't seen X" is not the same as "X does not exist."

Dead set wanker.

Reply #826532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha, KR using the old Schrodinger's cat theory. Yes we've all seen tha Big Bang Theory episode. Strangely Sheldon isn't as annoying as that dickhead KR!

Reply #826538 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I most sincerely apologise for not being psychic.

Reply #826539 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Kobe, you framed it that until you've read something, that that thing isn’t established. If you’re going to apologise for something it should be for being tedious.

Reply #826540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apologise for being a dead set wanker is preferable.

Reply #826546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Change of season schedule released tomorrow morning, yahoo sports saying.

Reply #826650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings and hawks still in Albury, talk of Tasmania or Queensland on yahoo sports as well.

Reply #826651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They only got to Albury on the 26th. Do the maths dude

Reply #826654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL start is in big trouble for Corey Webster

"The way I usually cut it (the avocado) wasn't working so I got a little bit frustrated and I just tried to stick the knife straight through the pit of the avocado and the pit split open and it (the knife) just went all the way through the palm of my hand and then out the other side of my hand," Webster said.
“It was pretty crazy. I’ve never had an injury like this before.
“I had to have surgery to reconnect the nerve, I severed the nerve in my palm, one of my fingers is still numb and that feeling won’t come back for a little while.”

Reply #826655 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not the stupidest thing Corey Webster has ever done to be honest.

Reply #826659 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Changes released

Reply #826663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep. https://nbl.com.au/news/blockbuster-double-header-to-open-nbl21-season

Reply #826664 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:37 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754