Aussie
Years ago

Taipans v United Saturday 2nd January?

NBL.com.au has an article saying there is a second game on Saturday.

Interesting that Cairns haven't mentioned anything about tickets going on sale and Melbourne haven't mentioned anything about this game (that I can see anyway)

Is this game going ahead? If so, does anyone know what time?

Thanks

Topic #47937 | Report this topic

GordonG  
Years ago

Closed game, not open to the public.

Reply #826312 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Closed game, not open to the public

Thanks. Will there be a live stream?

Reply #826313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesus Christ.

Reply #826314 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

No live stream... I'm not there shooting it either.

The same will happen when Adelaide come over here - one open game, one closed game.

Reply #826315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Piss weak, so little bball and can't watch practice games. Perth and Sydney haven’t played many practice games, could be slow start.

Reply #826317 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why would it be closed? I know that's often done earlier in pre-season, but once you get to the allowing-people-in stage I don't see why you'd stop?

Reply #826320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going to be an asterisk of a season.

Reply #826321 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

To do with the game but slightly off "theme".

Jack White. Saw him play (only once) for Duke and was impressed. Knew nothing of him other than he's an Ausie and team co-capt. An Aussie? I took notice.

His stats for last night's game, "....and Jack White six points, six boards, four steals and two assists." (from NBL News article) yet no-one singing his praises.

With a team that features so many scorers, will White become the Warrick Giddey (ex Melb Tigers starter & father of Josh) of this squad?

Reply #826352 | Report this post

Jazr  
Years ago

Yes agreed White looked impressive. Looks like a real competitor, hussle plays and good composure. I think he's a good fit for Melb United and may end up playing starter minutes with a declining Barlow. The other aspect is how he’ll develop going head to head v Landale every day. Also thought Yudai Baba was impressive, very quick first step and a solid shooter. Will surprise many I think.

Reply #826368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easy come easy go

Reply #826420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only Kickert also 37 is older than Barlow.
This year Barlow can still provide steady role player minutes.

Reply #826423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone know the score?

Reply #826482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's closed so they can run new plays and try out rotations without the other teams scouting them. Obviously.

Reply #826484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This actual game was cancelled not long before the start due to health protocols. All Melbourne players to be tested and stay in isolation.

Reply #826506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here is the link.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nbl-preseason-contest-canned-at-last-minute/news-story/cee5a8afacf40f6547a08f880db79511

Reply #826510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THE second game of the NBL pre-season series between Cairns and Melbourne was forced to be cancelled due to health protocols.

The fixture, set for Saturday evening at the Cairns Pop-Up Arena, was going to be a closed door game, with fans not in the building if it was to be played.

Instead it was eventually called off on Saturday afternoon before tip-off that night.

Anyone who has been in Victoria since December 21 - including visitors or returning Queenslanders – were directed by chief health officer Dr Jeanette Young to get tested "immediately" and isolate on Saturday.

United arrived in FNQ on December 28, beat Cairns on New Year's Eve, were set to play their second game on Saturday and then eventually leave on Wednesday.

An NBL official confirmed the game could not go ahead as United players had to undergo testing.

The United team was among dozens of people who waited for more than an hour for a COVID test in Cairns on Sunday morning, before being told to return to their hotel where they would undergo the test.

United blew out Cairns in the first of the two fixtures.

Cairns is scheduled to host two more pre-season games before the season proper tips off, against Adelaide in the coming days.

Reply #826542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ not the whole story - i heard the second game went ahead a few days later

Reply #826715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

/citation #KR

Reply #826754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullets beat Perth in preseason yesterday.

Reply #826768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.melbourneutd.com.au/news/melbourne-united-ready-for-nbl21-after-strong-pre-season

Reply #826816 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cairns Pop-up Arena aka The Snag Pit

That's a pretty clever nickname!

Reply #826820 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:06 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754