NBL MAN
Years ago

Adelaide Sign their 1st DP

https://nbl.com.au/news/36ers-add-owen-hulland-as-development-player
Owen Hulland was impressive in the pre-season games against Brisbane well deserved spot.

Topic #47951 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are there restrictions on DPs like in the past? Can they only play home games?

Reply #826817 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hulland looked impressive in one of those pre-season games against Brisbane scored about 15 points I think.

Good decision in what has been an unusually good off-season for the Sixers.

Reply #826818 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

He sure looked pretty that game.
I gotta feeling I seen DPs playen away games, now.

Reply #826827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great choice, lots of upside. Could be a solid player in a few years.

Reply #826828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't it 2 DPs for any games home or away?

Reply #826829 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

My understanding is that it is one DP for away games, 2 for home.

But that might have changed with the covid cost-cutting

Reply #826835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another great decision by the Norwood Flamily forcing him away.

Reply #826841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another Janx prodigy
Get Rigoni back from college, get White over from the Hawks, Hulland & Mudronja already there and maybe Griffin J Dyer Rasmussen in a few seasons...his vision for a Sixers full of local Guys could be a reality

Reply #826843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rigoni-senior
Mayen-junior
Dibiamaka-junior
Garang-freshman
Griffin-D2 freshman
+
White-hawks

That's about all sa has for the next 3-4 years.

Maybe a few from nbl1 and a couple who might skip college.

Waiting to see who develops from..

Rasmussen
Ipassou
Rutaysire
Yaak

Reply #826844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rasmussen and Yaak will develop into excellent players, the other 2 are highly overrated.

Reply #826845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

843, Janx prodigy?
Haha. No.

Reply #826847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wa has way more talent over 4 years.

Stone
Antonio
Ducas
Bowen
Madings
Kearing
Okwera-vic/wa guy
Wessels
Maker-nba bound likely.

Reply #826848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say that WA crop is comparable to SA, not way better. You probably should throw Travers in there too btw. Most of the kids are still a work in progress too so let's see.

Reply #826849 | Report this post

Years ago

844, throw Olbrich and Barei in that list too.

Reply #826850 | Report this post

Under a Rock  
Years ago

Is there any gaurentee that Olbrich is even going to choose basketball having already represented Australia for Volleyball?

Reply #826854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olbrich will be fine once he gets away from the halfwits at BSA HP.

Reply #826856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olbrich will be fine once he gets away from the halfwits at BSA HP.

Reply #826857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Add Huefner in there for SA too. Late developer but very talented.

Reply #826861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the hidden Gems out there in the 18s/Youth that are underrated?
I'll start with one
Smith the guard from the Tigers 18s. Olbrich is an obvious one, but Smith has been a huge factor in their success this year...explosive aggressive scores for fun and plays to win.
Got some similarities to J Dyer.

Reply #826862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the u17 wc went ahead this year leftover from the end of last year, would olbrich be a chance for Australia. Our 03 bigs were bad at oceania

Reply #826867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those crocs n sapphires teams would look way different a year on.

Reply #826868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

867 Olbrich would be a definite chance
He reminds a lot of Ingles in some things he does
It's an embarrassment for SA Basketball that he never got a chance on a National stage
Club basketball to the NBA Global Academy?
Go figure.

Reply #826870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jantke will claim him as usual, but had nothing to do with Owen.

Reply #826872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

862 a couple of players fit this category
Stock from Norwood and King from Sturt. Both are top age 18s this year and are set for big seasons. They have probably sat in the shadows of more heralded team mates but are poised to have breakout years. They are both playing in the Invitational this weekend and it wouldnt surprise to see them have big tournaments.

Reply #826879 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Good decision based on that one game.

Reply #826881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

872, you're boring me, they need to feed you something new.

Reply #826882 | Report this post

Jock  
Years ago

Whow, so I get Hulland got a DP possy on the Sixers list and that he's a big man.
But you have to feel for guys like Harris, Marshall, Diing and Co. Maybe, they've got too many guards and looking to ensure DJ and Humphries have backup in case of injury.

What about guys like DeSantis, Kubank, Davies etc...??? Sorry don't rate Hoppo, Sapwell, etc...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Sixers can have up to 4 DP's. Ohh I know, they don't have enough money to fund more than one DP and that's why these other guys missed out. We really need to embrace a policy of developing local talent into the NBL system.

Reply #826999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a big guy who is scared of the paint!!!

Reply #827006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least Hulland and the others you mention are Adelaide boys, not interstaters like the previous coach brought in.

Harris and Marshall are a clear level above the others you mention but Hulland has more upside than all of them.

Reply #827028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I completely agree, especially with King. Really has no weaknesses in his skill set or anything of the sort, only thing that possibly leaves more to be desired is his bball IQ as he's only played squad 1 basketball for the past 3 szns compared to much of the Sturt boys who’ve played div 1 since u10s. Nonetheless he’s a hell of a player. Stock isn’t as physically gifted as king but has time and time again proved to be a good player on a good team so hopefully a big year for him too. I’m a player in their age at a different club but they’re both top blokes and wish them all the best for the season.

Reply #827031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And to those comments about guys that didn't make it over hulland (or are yet to) for a dp position it comes back to the old saying you can’t teach height. Completely understand the annoyance tho as a shorter player myself. Hopefully some more local talent gets an opportunity. Any chance of Adcock getting a look in?

Reply #827033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even Andy didn't start him in ABC.

Reply #827041 | Report this post

Jock  
Years ago

#827028: I would have to disagree with your comment about Harris and Marshall being clear level above the likes of DeSantis, Kubank etc...

They're all very different players with unique strengths. The more well rounded player that is under-rated and flies under the radar is Desantis.

Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see how all these players develop and where they end up?

Reply #827065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crazy the standard drop for DPs if Hulland is considered DP level, that being said so was Hoffman at one point. Many others recently have been overlooked after better college careers, being able to stick out 4 years and actually keeping in basketball shape...

Reply #827195 | Report this post

Jock  
Years ago

By the way, how the hell is Brendan Teys still holding a position in this 36ers team. Has he got explicit photos of the coaches, exec's or something? I hear he carries some form of leadership and locker room qualities, but mate you're holding back a valuable position for other good players or young local talent for that matter. Move on buddy, surely someone else in the team can replace your supposed off-court team qualities....
Ohhh by the way, I hear Teys comes cheap so that's probably why he's on the roster.

Reply #827227 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Better than Dillon and Mudronja....

Reply #827234 | Report this post

Sixers  
Years ago

" Many others recently have been overlooked after better college careers, being able to stick out 4 years and actually keeping in basketball shape..."

Who are these many others?
Did these many others also score 15 points in a pre-season game?
Do these many others also have genuine NBL height?

Nice exaggeration on the many others comment

Reply #827260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, expect atleast 3 Sixers cut from contracts next season.

Reply #827261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubting the height gives him a chance of being able to play his position in the NBL.
Scoring 15 points in a pre season game is a solid achievement but shooting catch and shoot threes for all of them isn't terribly impressive, obviously he wasn't on the other teams scout.
Would love to be proved wrong just my opinion from what I've seen

Reply #827290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmm, stretch 4 and 5s are so out of place in todays game. They should only be allowed to post up and never leave the key.
That was sarcastic before it gets shot down.

Reply #827294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope he's not in to cliff jumping

Reply #827295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd hate to blow out my knee cliff jumping as the second highest paid local in the NBL

Reply #827463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No story there apparently.

Reply #827471 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:32 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754