Aussie
Years ago

NBL set for $20m broadcast deal?

Nine and Stan set for NBL broadcast bid to expand Stan Sport offering

The above is an article in the Australian newspaper.

Unfortunately it's behind a paywall.

Can someone please post the article?

Topic #47972 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be a start,

Reply #827564 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

$20 million annually would be HUGE for the NBL.

Can someone please post the entire article?

Reply #827566 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Early April fools

Reply #827571 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Great for the NBL or should I say LK but will force us hoops lovers to get Stan. Not in favour of another subscription. Also depends on how many games Nine shows.

Reply #827574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People here are not going to get Stan. They're not even willing to pay for a newspaper subscription!

Reply #827577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl/wnbl/nb1
league pass perhaps
I'd pay $50 a year for that.

Reply #827578 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Interesting to see what happens with this. Stan is trying to grab sports but so far seems to be going for the leagues that do/will struggle to get any financial offers (Rugby union being the one they've locked in).

I could understand LK taking a deal like this even though it would greatly hurt ratings to get SOME ROI, but its hard to see how it would help the game. Though, like the last 3 tv deals, I'm sure it would still be described as a "landmark deal"

Reply #827581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Encouraging that nobody has a subscription to the Oz...I'm sure Dickbreaker does

Reply #827590 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Anyone able to cheeky post article?

$20mil would cover NBL salaries for 10 teams id say...Wonder if LK would be content subsidise salaries for $1mil per team? That would go a huge way to NBL team viability IMO.

Reply #827591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take the money and run Larry. Not everyday you find a woodduck like this!

Reply #827592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball could emerge with a broadcast deal worth $20m annually with Larry Kestelman's ­National Basketball League targeted by Nine Entertainment and its streaming service Stan to add to its collection of sports rights.

Having already won rugby union rights in a $100m deal late last year, Nine and Stan would also add the NBL to tennis as it seeks to build out its fledgling Stan Sports service.

The NBL, which begins its delayed 2021 season on Friday night, is set to benefit from Stan’s entry to the sports market and jump from its current deal with SBS and ESPN, an advertising revenue sharing contract only, to potentially the most lucrative contract in the league’s 42-year history.

SBS and ESPN’s contract expires after the upcoming season, which is planned to finish by the end of June, and NBL management is in talks for the 2021-22 season slated for October and ­onwards.

Foxtel, which carries the ESPN telecast, and its Kayo streaming service could also bid for the rights and give the NBL, whose nine club owners lose $15m-$20m annually, much-needed competition for its broadcast product — though Nine appears to be in the box seat, and would put most matches on Stan and some on one of its free-to-air channels.

Nine and Stan could also bid for A-League rights later this year.

Reply #827596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not the whole article but it is all speculation until June at least .

Reply #827597 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Quote from LK in 2018

"Even if it is a better commercial deal for me, I still won't do it if it doesn’t suit basketball. That is how the sport got itself into trouble in the first place."

While I don't think many would blame him for cashing in given all of the money he's lost, it would be interesting to see the talking points if a deal like this were to go through given it'd be the exact opposite of the above statement.

Reply #827600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100 mill for union lol. Only 2 states watch.

Reply #827603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does it matter if they are stupid enough to pay that amount and 2 states watch?

Reply #827604 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'm not sure that australian basketball fans are in a position to laugh at the viewership of any other code

Having said that, i think the rugby deal is evidence that stan is willing to overpay to get their platform going

Reply #827605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having said that, i think the rugby deal is evidence that stan is willing to overpay to get their platform going" Thats all that matters. Their choice their money.

Reply #827606 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Stan is paying overs for sure to get content.

Reply #827611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No need to pays overs when no one else is paying for it.

Reply #827614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Union is in big trouble and they have a 100 mill deal and basketball is on the rise and they get 20..

Reply #827615 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think that might well be a good indicator on just how overstated the rise of the NBL has been.

Reply #827616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone old enough to remember Larry saying same thing pre 2018 season?
10mil was the word?
How d that go?

Reply #827618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More LK B/S.

Reply #827620 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow, NBL with a potentially substantial monetary TV deal for once.

Well at least there's one benefit to the 488487447 streaming services out there.

Reply #827622 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

In 1995 when Fox Sports launched the two domestic leagues it had rights to were Super Rugby and NBL. History may repeat itself.

Reply #827623 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

*Super League

Reply #827626 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No, Super League launched later on as Optus held ARL rights.

On launch it was Super Rugby and NBL.

Reply #827630 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yep, just looked. You're right I'm wrong. Apologies.

Reply #827631 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

You're kind of right though as when Fox started up their big plan was Super League but the legal battles delayed broadcast.

Reply #827632 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Can't wait to be limited to low-bitrate streams I can't record, rather than the current moderate-bitrate broadcasts I can retain and do with as I please.

Reply #827635 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The other problem is Stan, unlike other sports streamers, requires you to be subscribed to their base plan before you have the privilege of adding-on Stan Sport. Ewww, just like Foxtel.

Reply #827636 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That's what kayo is for

Reply #827640 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I know, but if NBL does sign up with Stan there will be no Kayo-like shortcut!

Reply #827642 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That's what kayo is for
You think Stan is going to pay $20 million for non-exclusive streaming rights?

I have a waterfront property in Arizona you might be interested in purchasing.

Reply #827643 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

We've all been seduced by the 'Big NBL TV deal incoming' siren songs of years past and they usually amount to nothing or the fine print allows them to ream the NBL unapologetically so I'll wait until this does happen before worrying about it.

I have a waterfront property in Arizona you might be interested in purchasing.

I've always wanted one of them they rarely come on the market.

Reply #827644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the story is a fluff piece if you read the rest of the article wouldn't be counting on any deals just yet .

Reply #827646 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

This is the first time it's a streaming service, though. There's a streaming bubble at the moment and lots of people are pouring lots of money into building their streaming services.

Probably the closest parallel is when the new digital channels launched, and the league got a pretty damn good deal out of that. Unfortunately there was a change at the top and there was one bad clause in the deal, but I'm not sure what the streaming equivalent of that could possibly be.

Reply #827647 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Kayo is Foxtels way of getting the sports without paying for a basic package.

Nice way to misread

Reply #827648 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

but I'm not sure what the streaming equivalent of that could possibly be.

I think we could all guess. When it comes to TV execs anything is possible look at what Ch 7 are doing with Cricket Australia at the moment? Out and out skullduggery. The NBL has always been the 'flavour of the month/ugly stepsister' of the Aussie TV sports scene, when they come bearing gifts it's time to get nervous.

Reply #827649 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

If it's anything like Kayo, I don't believe the model works.
If you're a sports nut, and spend 10 hours a day watching TV, then it's probably good value. But paying for their service, to watch one shitty broadcast per week, just isn't worth it.

Reply #827662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Quote from LK in 2018

"Even if it is a better commercial deal for me, I still won't do it if it doesn't suit basketball. That is how the sport got itself into trouble in the first place."

While I don't think many would blame him for cashing in given all of the money he's lost, it would be interesting to see the talking points if a deal like this were to go through given it'd be the exact opposite of the above statement."

Subscription based streaming services seem to be the way of the future. You see Foxtel transitioning to kayo and binge.

If course you'd love to be paid big money to have every game on FTA but not even the AFL has that.

Reply #827663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have tried a few subscriptions services for movies TV shows etc and mostly all of them show stuff that we have seen before. I am happy with the SBS coverage and hope that this continues in its current form. Had foxport as well and just for nbl viewing not worth it. Had NBL tv too and once sbs cam alone dropped that.

Reply #827690 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:58 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754