Jack Sullivan
Isaac Warhurst
Thomas Welk
Charlie Whyatt
Benjamin Young

Reply #828625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any of those teams going to do well? Medal chance?

Reply #828628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think so, too many missing from metro boys.

Other states 04/05 too strong.

Reply #828629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Metro women don't have the depth from previous ajcs

Reply #828630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is this to be held?? And when??

Reply #828640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

April in Werribee i think

Reply #828644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the likelihood of this going ahead? Or will it be postponed to later in the year?
Also 20's???

Reply #828646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, SA metro women have 3 top line players and their 2 bigs are unplayable vs the top teams. Small ball is their best hope and they need Borlase to stay healthy.

Vic Metro - 1st
Vic Country / SE Queensland - 2nd or 3rd

NSW Metro / SA Metro - 4th or 5th

SA Country / NSW Country / North Queensland- 6th and lower

The rest

Reply #828647 | Report this post

Sixers  
Years ago

"Don't think so, too many missing from metro boys"

Yak and who else?

Reply #828650 | Report this post

Sixers  
Years ago

Rasmussen also

Reply #828651 | Report this post

Sixers  
Years ago

Actually Rasmussen was the previous year, so not him.

Reply #828652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Combining 04 from 19' and 05 from 20’ chosen side, vic S5s will probably look like

Metro
5’9 Heal
5’9 Wickstrom
6’0 Burrows
6’2 Puoch
6’4 Ohara

Country
5’5 Loughridge
5’9 Granger
5’10 Koopmans
6’1 Ananiev
6’2 Knight

Nsw metro and qld sth have a shot.I think.

Reply #828656 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Please keep in mind the forum guidelines on naming U18 players. OK to name them in team lists as done so far, but please refrain from posting about individuals (whether positive or negative). Please report posts that contravene this. Thanks.

Reply #828665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they were on previous years teams lists, what's the difference?

Reply #828667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The u16s will be super competitive, very evenly matched across aus.

Reply #828668 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

For the girls, the team that could surprise this year is NSW country. Fantastic bigs, I mean really good.

Reply #828674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u16 Girls wont be the least bit competitive Vic Metro will smash everyone, even if they select the team badly, which they will.

Reply #828676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought metro had the bigs and country just had 1.

Reply #828677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U16 are 06/07.
Qld are stacked, wa will also suprise

Reply #828678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.bnsw.com.au/news_notices/spp-2021-u18-u16-metro-country-announcement/

Metro bigs? Who else?

Nelson / Kayrouz
Leasuasu / Coburn / Quigley

Country bigs? Who else?

Foy /
Hassett / Juffermans

Reply #828682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its going to Kill the selectors not being able to justify picking anyone from Bulleen in the girls u16!

Reply #828691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U18 Qld north and south final state selection this weekend. Their teams should be named soon.

Reply #828801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think the girls teams will change much from 2019 u16 team.

Reply #828806 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

Under 18 girls is just the Sturt 18 Div 1 team with the Sturt coach as head coach

Reply #828807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what ya on about, they come from many clubs.

Reply #828808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This tournament is also for the selection for the next u17 (05-2022) and u19 (04-2023) Aus players,

Reply #828811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What state are you referring to "I don't think the girls teams will change much"

Reply #828812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U18 Qld north and south final state selection this weekend. Their teams should be named soon.

Reply #828847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why so many Sturt players in the 18Boys Metro? They just scraped into the finals on the back of Brennan and flopped, bombed in the State Champs, have never actually won anything.over the years
Hugely over rated and over hyped and they make up 50% of the team!
Surely there are better players out there?

Reply #828910 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You answered your own question, its because they are Sturt and the HP coach is Sturt

Reply #828926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

910, maybe because you are talking about last year's team, when these guys were all bottom agers? Completely irrelevant.

Sturt and Norwood are maybe the best two teams this season.

Reply #828934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt for me. Better coached

Reply #829115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is the guy coaching them?
Never heard of him.

Reply #829129 | Report this post

Years ago

just depends where the best players are at the time - can recall some very good Forestville girls teams 5-8 years ago that made up 6 or 7 of the state u16 and 18s - and they did very well at the national level. North in the early 2000s had a high % of female state reps.

Reply #829152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

115 you spelt poached wrong

Reply #829154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better coached? Their 18 1s coached has never coached in SA.

Reply #829156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect 2 states to announce teams next week or week after.

Reply #829157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And then expect it all to be "postponed"...(cancelled).

Reply #829160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2.5 months away, don't think it’ll be cancelled if people are going back to work in feb.

Reply #829161 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

I think the U18 champs have a better than 50% chance of going ahead. The biggest threat arises from an individual state closing its border. Clearly if Vic does this - then - yeah - the champs are off. But if a state other than Vic decided to impose restrictions, then the champs could probably work around an absence and still stage the event.
One workaround fix could involve fielding a Vic Metro "B" side in place of a missing NSW, Qld, WA, SA or Tas team. This team would be more than competitive - in fact defeats they would inflict on other states could be embarrassing. But I'm all in favour of it.

Reply #829465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if Vic metro put in a B team it would likely be rather embarrassing for the selectors. Given how badly they generally select their teams the B teams might well beat the A teams!

Reply #829495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Vic = no Nationals
In any age group, at any time.
Victoria is the heart and soul of basketball in Australia.
The rest of the country can say what they like, Victoria's results speak for themselves.
Every other state is playing for second place.

Reply #829497 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

497 writes "Every other state is playing for second place". This is a case of trying to beat your opponent before the contest begins. I see it a bit differently. Imagine the pressure on those VicM players NOT to lose. And - conversely- the kudos earned by the interstate team that knocks off VicM. I'd rather play to win than play to avoid losing.

Reply #829712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sa metro girls u16 06/07 have 3 really great players. They could very well win the champs this year.

Reply #829716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

716, haha!

1 very good player from Forestville, decent guard from West and another decent forward from Sturt.

Need more than 3 players to win Nationals, Vic Metro have 10 good players year in, year out plus others that miss out all together!

Keep dreaming....

Reply #829722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pg ?
Sg 06 Forestville
Sf 07 Forestville
Pf 06 Forestville
C ?

Reply #829724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic lists for sdp are out.

https://basketballvictoria.com.au/2021-state-development-program-female-athletes-announced/

https://basketballvictoria.com.au/2021-state-development-program-male-athletes-announced/

Reply #829725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Vic lists for SDP make for interesting reading purely on the numbers selected to be involved. Just looked at the girls lists with over 80 U18 Girls and well over 100 U16 Girls listed in these Vic SDPs. My home state of SA would be lucky to have 80 girls playing in each of the entire Div 1 comps for U18 and similar in U16 so every Div 1 player from all teams would make the SDP list if SA had the same sized SDPs. Just puts things in perspective a bit and shows how well some of the SA teams do to be competitive nationally.

Also shows 716's comments about '3 really great' U16 players and having a chance at Nationals to be really quite quite laughable from both a depth perspective and how you perceive "really great" talent in a national context. Good luck to those SA girls but not sure the evaluation is all that accurate in the bigger picture.

Reply #829729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have seen the talent in all states is why I can make judgement on who will do well at nationals.

Reply #829732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 06s in vic are not that strong.
I'd argue wa and qld have more talented 06s than vic in the girls. It may not show at u16s but will as they go up in the age groups.

Reply #829733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Vic SDP lists make even more interesting reading when you compare the kids that made those lists compared to kids from the same club who didn't. Frankston have a kid in NPP but they have another player who is just as good, if not better and she didn't make SDP (maybe because she hasn't chosen to go to Rowville, every kid at the trials who goes to Rowville made that list!). Knox's best top age u16 player is not there also, both these kids should be chances of Vic Metro. If Vic Metro don't toy with everybody it will be because of inept High performance Coaches and corrupt selection procedures, not talent.

Reply #829736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None of the npp players are on the sdp list.
Always some players that skip these programs.

Reply #829737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5 of the 10 players per team at nationals play 75% of the minutes.
If you have 3-4 great players its enough to win the champs. It has happened many times before.

Reply #829738 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

VicM has long enjoyed a dominant position because its administrators have done a better job over many, many years. The VicM comp is over twice the size of NSWM and 3 times the size of SAM. High quality venues. And they consistently produce the best coaches and run superior systems. This last point is key. If NSWM or SAM or QLD were to have any hope of knocking off VicM their coaches must run systems that are as well thought out, as well drilled and are well suited to the strengths of the playing group. Having seen many AJCs over the years i do not believe that a S5 VicM player is better than their counterparts in NSW, Qld or SA. But they are better drilled, particularly in defence, and they are much less likely to be hero ballers.

Reply #829749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA

https://basketballwa.asn.au/2021-western-australian-u18-state-basketball-teams/

Reply #830109 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

"Having seen many AJCs over the years i do not believe that a S5 VicM player is better than their counterparts in NSW, Qld or SA. But they are better drilled, particularly in defence, and they are much less likely to be hero ballers."

100%, Red.

Reply #830115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dam those wa teams are always changing

Reply #830116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TAS

Boys
https://www.facebook.com/BasketballTasmania/photos/a.472362379525233/3694324993995606/

Girls
https://www.facebook.com/BasketballTasmania/photos/a.472362379525233/3691285980966174

Reply #832820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.bnsw.com.au/news_notices/state-teams-u18-team-announcements-2021/

Reply #833013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NT

https://www.facebook.com/NorthernTerritoryBasketball/photos/a.167862463249042/3680516218650298/

https://www.facebook.com/NorthernTerritoryBasketball/photos/a.167862463249042/3680385231996730/

Reply #833015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Qld teams also out on Facebook.

Reply #833058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last state to announce, vic.

https://basketballvictoria.com.au/under-18-and-kevin-coombs-cup-teams-announced/

Certainly the boys are beatable.

Reply #836525 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Despite challenges presented by Covid, we are almost there - the 2021 instalment of the AJC U18s in Werribee starts this Saturday, April 10. I am really looking forward to this. My focus is the women's comp given I have a daughter playing and will be attending matches each day. In terms of how the teams will fare - there is Vic Metro - as the overwhelming favourite and then there are the rest!
Six regions will conceivably jostle for 3 semi final spots - Vic Country, SA Metro, Qld South, WA Metro, NSW Metro and NSW Country. Vic Country and SA Met have better records in this tournament and IMO will likely get 2 slots. That leaves 1 slot for the remainers. The surprise for this age cohort 2 years ago in the U16s was the underperformance of Qld South; not sure what happened then. These tournaments usually produce a surprise bolter, and this year, my prediction is NSW Country. Looking forward to reading comments in coming days.

Reply #841121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure nsw country have the guards.

I've got vic metro, qld south n nsw metro.

Reply #841128 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

I do hope that the refs - at this level - do not excessively reward guards who drive into the key with shooting foul calls. I think the balance has shifted to far in recent years in favour of guards, which has had unintended consequences to the detriment of the game.

It has fostered a culture of guards always finishing at the ring, not so much to put up a quality shot, but simply to attract a shooting foul call. Why make that extra pass; why drive to that point on the floor that is both close to the ring, yet maintain shot separation? Nope - all too difficult - just drive at the big and the ref will bail you out.

One other thing - at this level - can we see the ref with the best position to make the call, make the call. Too often I have seen refs positioned near the half way line decide to make calls on contests close to the ring, even though the other ref is closely positioned to the action, decides there is no call to make. This is all too common and it drives me spare. I think it is a personality thing - some refs feel more confident (excessively confident IMO) about themselves than they do about the capability of their fellow ref, who has better position.

Reply #841152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Red84 you do understand this is U18's and most of the referee's are themselves kids and just starting out their elite journey. They aren't NBA referee's yet. Most of the kids at this event will not progress past AJC or at best state league level.

Maybe just let them do the best they can and applaud that rather than putting the world on their shoulders.

Reply #841154 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

That's putting the world on their shoulders in your view? They are valid points and presented in a non-derogatory manner. Yeesh.

Reply #841158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My point is these kids are learning. They are not Vaughan Mayberry yet.

Reply #841159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And in addition this will be the first time some of them (probably more than 50%) are doing 3 person mechanics so for most they are more worried about where they are standing rather than what they are calling. But all of you know the issues young referee's face coming through the ranks. My bad.

Reply #841161 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Anon 154 As you say, a number of these refs are young and are learning and onlookers should be respectful, as I have been in the past and will be in the future. I prefaced my comments with "At this level....". This is a national level championship, not a club comp with teenagers in green shirts. The average age of refs is early to mid 20s with some refs in their 30s.
I was very specific about my observation and detailed the consequences of a malpractice which -IMO - has been persistent. As you demonstrate, the knee jerk reaction to adverse feedback regarding refs is to deny and to discount. Let's not be super sensitive. All of us want good officiation. And that means engaging players and coaches in feedback, not hunker down with one's own kind in the ref community. It is a reasonable request, made AHEAD of the tournament.

Reply #841171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An assumption based on no knowledge of the calibre of referee appointed to the tournament (nor what games if any they have referee'd in the COVID environment. For example if they are from Victoria the likelihood is they have hardly referee'd for 18 months) and on historic value most if not all will not make WNBL least of all NBL and above.

Reply #841174 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

I say "yes" to learning and "yes" to listening to those other than your own kind. What you are saying is - "Shut up and assume that everything that can be done, is being done". Really...
I have gone to many AJCs, so whilst I do not possess you inside expert view as to who will be appointed, I've got a fair idea as to the age profile of appointees. If I see a bevy of teenagers and green shirts at the AJCs I'll concede your point.

Reply #841185 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

The referees I know that have been appointed are 20-30yo, have experience with 3-referee rotations and are either on an NBL1 panel or well on the pathway to do so.

They've all had plenty of experience at Classic, development tournaments locally and interstate, and been exposed to the style of coaching that higher level referees regularly receive.

Perhaps you're the one assuming, anon.

Reply #841191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The difference between refereeing at 2 man level and then jumping to 3 man at the elite level is significant. For example the SA quartet will struggle as they have done sweet bugger all basketball. Victoria have done less etc etc. But cool you have been to AJC before. Congratulations

Reply #841194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And in the last 12 months where have they referee'd 3 person Einstein? And what quality was that exactly? So if they are not on an NBL1 pathway but well on their way they haven't regularly referee'd 3 person mechanics have they? Week in week out? The answer is no. So nice try. But thanks for playing and being another clueless douche

Reply #841204 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Interesting that our pro-ref advocate here appears to have lost his/her composure. Often happens when you lose an argument and can't disentangle your ego from it.

Reply #841208 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

"And in the last 12 months where have they referee'd 3 person Einstein? And what quality was that exactly?"

Like I said: some are on an NBL1 panel. So funnily enough they've refereed state league, senior reserves and state team scratch matches with 3 refs.

The ones that aren't have previously used every opportunity they could to practice in the lead up to the tournament: Friday night games, state team scratch matches, hell I've even seen them at social basketball games being coached though the rotations.

I'm just speaking to those I know, and I think they're capable. It's very strange how someone like yourself - who appears to be a referee - has such a low opinion of your colleagues.

Resort to name calling all you want, but you haven't actually rebutted several points made so we both know who is clueless, or at the very least insecure. Thanks for playing indeed.

Reply #841212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope just facts about where this group sit and where they have worked in the last 12 months. If ego was an issue I wouldn't post here under anon...I’d have a flashy call sign to pump my ego ...OMG

Reply #841213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Read at it again.
You keep doing you champ.

Reply #841251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah you missed the point WR. U18 is the best AJC level. You're trying to tell me that over the last 18 months these kids have worked NBL1 (no competition occurred in 2020). Victoria has had no rep ball at all. Waratah was terrible, SA basketball tournament was no better if not worse than reserves. WA and QLD were so watered down it’s not funny. But he kids walked through rotations in social basketball! That’s brilliant. I’m not disparaging young referees I’m saying most have not refereed in 18 months so just let them enjoy the first AJC in a long time rather than carrying on about do this and do that.

Reply #841255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah you missed the point WR. U18 is the best AJC level. You're trying to tell me that over the last 18 months these kids have worked NBL1 (no competition occurred in 2020). Victoria has had no rep ball at all. Waratah was terrible, SA basketball tournament was no better if not worse than reserves. WA and QLD were so watered down it’s not funny. But he kids walked through rotations in social basketball! That’s brilliant. I’m not disparaging young referees I’m saying most have not refereed in 18 months so just let them enjoy the first AJC in a long time rather than carrying on about do this and do that.

Reply #841289 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:30 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754