Anonymous
Years ago

Does any Import get cut this season?

Do you believe this most likely will be the first season probably ever an import won't be cut ?

Topic #48011 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Iverson yes
Crockersnd sloan are improving, no

Still need to see mooney

Reply #829164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney perhaps.
Perth have a shocking record with crap imports.

Reply #829165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import centres...

Reply #829167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, Perf are horrendous...cotton, grace, ennis, lichti, crawford, beale, tokoto.

Reply #829176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton not that good but most fans wouldn't want him on their teams.

Reply #829184 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Depends how easily they can be replaced - Covid obviously complicates things.

Reply #829208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats why i can see Aussies getting cut first

Reply #829209 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, Perf are horrendous...cotton, grace, ennis, lichti, crawford, beale, tokoto.
What a bizarre list. Lichti was a talent but never managed to be part of a successful team, Beal had one good year and then plummeted so far Brisbane sacked him with one game left in the season knowing they couldn't replace him because being one player down was preferable to having him on the roster, and Tokoto was athletic but not much else.

Reply #829211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez KR, are you serious about reposting the name Lichti!

Reply #829214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How Beal went at Brisbane isn't relavent.
He was good during his time at Perth.

Reply #829216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barry Crocker.

Reply #829221 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Cairns miss Newbill's D big time. Noi one of the worst defenders in the league and Kelly needed to take him out because the Kings were taking him off the dribble easily.

Terrible luck for Glover after fighting back from 3 knee recos already.

Reply #829223 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

haha. Wrong thread. Thought I was in the game thread.

Reply #829224 | Report this post

Bullet  
Years ago

Iverson In nz is gone for sure.

Reply #829226 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How Beal went at Brisbane isn't relavent.
He was good during his time at Perth.
Brisbane wasn't an isolated incident, it was just the end of a decline that began in Perth. There's a reason he was in Brisbane rather than Perth to begin with.

Reply #829228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know jvg is shit and after using most of money on Humphries there wasn't much cash. But Sloan and Crocker are clearly second rate, how did these Muppets get a contract. Would rather have gone with some younger guys.
Are there any imports currently in Aus that would be better? Few years back could probably used someone like Starling. Even Riewer could shoot. Laughable any other year but this season is like no other.

Reply #829232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will agree with you koberulz just to shut you up.

Reply #829242 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Lichti was a bargain import, who came mostly to play with his mate Vlahov, and joined a team already stacked with naturalised imports. Whilst the didn't win a 'ship with him, they were hardly disgraced.

Beal was a great player for us. He won two rings and Finals MVP. During his time with us he was the highest scorer in the NBL (total over those 3 year).

Tokoto was also an excellent player. He led the league in steals, was all NBL 2nd team, and IIRC finished around 5th in MVP voting.
The only problem(s) for the Cats were that he had nothing beyond mid-range, and we had to rely on Cotton almost exclusively for 3-pointers,
and that he somehow managed to piss Trev off.

Reply #829246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D2.0 I actually agree with your post .
It's a shame koberulz will disagree with what you posted.

Reply #829247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In short -no. All thanks to COVID and quarantine requirements.

The events where some players arriving for the Aus Open are now possibly having to miss the tournament due to a positive test shows it's too risky and difficult.

Reply #829256 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Lichti was a bargain import, who came mostly to play with his mate Vlahov, and joined a team already stacked with naturalised imports. Whilst the didn't win a 'ship with him, they were hardly disgraced.
He joined the reigning champions, who had naturalised their two imports from that championship season, and they got bounced in the first round.

The next year, they were obliterated in the semi finals. The year after that, swept out of the semis in a marginally more competitive manner. His final season saw them swept in the first round.

So he joined a team that had gone to the title, and won four playoff games in three years. They never won a semi final game, got done by 27 points in 1997, and were swept in every series they lost with the exception of the first season's first-round defeat.

Then he left to go be on TV in the US.

Hardly a recruiting coup, especially if he was just here to play with a mate.

Beal was a great player for us. He won two rings and Finals MVP. During his time with us he was the highest scorer in the NBL (total over those 3 year).
There's more to basketball than scoring. If he was that good, he wouldn't have been run out of town. He had a great first year and he dropped off a cliff thereafter.

Tokoto was also an excellent player.
LOL.

He led the league in steals
Like I said, he was athletic. He could jump a passing lane and get three or four steals a game, and only give up seven or eight layups going the other way.

Reply #829273 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Pledger could collect fouls as quickly as Iverson for a fraction of the cost.
Bring in someone capable of emerging from quarantine in shape to play pro basketball.
LP gets a pass because he can actually ball in between burgers.

Reply #829665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 teams I believe might pick up an import from the NzNbl
Adelaide (If Sloan doesn't continue to produce)
Melbourne (Budget PG Import)
Perth - I can’t see them winning with Norto & White, Cotton can’t facilitate & score for them the whole season, too much of a load to carry (Budget PG Import)

Also wish injuries on anyone but every season an import gets hurt so we’ll see on that aspect also

Reply #830544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz - salt
Sem - Broekhoff
Cairns - wmw
Adelaide - import cg

Reply #830545 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Hopson will be lucky to make the season out if he continues at 4.3ppg

Reply #830546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It sounds like the keys have been given to Giddey, might be too early. But if Hopson becomes available, Adelaide should be on the phone immediately.
Its nearly a case of NBA buyouts/waiving. Should Adelaide wait it out and see if any other club blinks and cuts someone and bring them in immediately. Or do they decide to find a cut price import that's already in the country and use them as a 9th man or something.

Reply #830559 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I can't believe Jack Salt is a Free Agent?

Reply #830561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings, Cairns, Perth should give Salt ago, nothing to lose and both could use more depth at the 5.

Reply #830565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Salt had many offers, he was injured for most the season.

Reply #830566 | Report this post

imgllolo  
Years ago

Anyone have an idea when the 2nd division will begin or maybe point me in the right direction? I have a basketball agency imgllo.com and I have some players that could be a good fit. Any help would be great!

Reply #830754 | Report this post

eastanon  
Years ago

most likely if their not in the country, I'd say minimal chance this season players will be taken for the lower divisions as imports due to the cost of flights, visa issues and so on

your best bet would be for the next season

looking like it will begin April

Reply #830760 | Report this post

eastanon  
Years ago

big v march start

Reply #830761 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:40 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754