Jack Toft
Years ago

Cats v Phoenix Jan 29

NBL's Festival of Basketball continues in the glorious Westralia where the SE Melbourne Creeksters take on the Perth Cottontails.

Late starters to the season, Perth will be out to make it two from two to put pressure on The Hawks. They disassembled Phoenix last game like a child pulling the wings off a fly, forcing 20 TO's while only having 9 themselves. They won most of the stats including where it mattered on the big cube. Plenty of white line fever from the Cats. Some people say there was a bit of home baking, but hey it's a pretty dark carpark after the game.

Phoenix would be looking for an improvement to the score and hopefully have spent the last 5 days having a shoot around and working on the skills, instead of playing Quokka soccer, or high tea with Lord Mayor Basil Zempilas. Still, could be worse they could have gone swimming in the Swan River with the bull sharks, now they face the sharks at the RAC Arena - all 7,000 of them. Now who would be worse, Cats fans? or Collingwood fans?, or maybe even Collingwood Cats fans?

But to watch Perth is to watch the Bryce Cotton show, the man with the ball on a string. SEM will bring a pair of scissors tonight, but cutting the string might be harder than finding a hipster in Dandenong.

Perth by 8

Topic #48027 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth still playoff material.

Cats by 9.

Reply #829956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their solution to cotton "getting too many callls" according to Gibson "be more physical and put him on his arse". What could possibly go wrong with that strategy... maybe they should try not grabbing him, and learn to set a legal screen.

Reply #829963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Jack Toft, fantastic, you have special talent.

Phoenix will need two creeksters to win this. Gibson needed to play like he was five years younger to keep them in it, that not happening again. Cotton stays healthy it's cats by 17.

Reply #829965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bravo Jack

Reply #829967 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Collingwood fans Vs Cats fans, thats a tough one.

Its not just limiting Cotton though, they even let Jervis (not played in 18 months) have an impact on the game.

Reply #829988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I expect Phoenix to be better in general this game. I think a few players have a lot of room to step up. Sykes should be better, and have to assume Creek be much more competitive. Like to to Steindl contribute more. Wildcats need perimeter threats and productive role players in general.

Reply #829991 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Hopefully it will just be a better quality game in general as last weeks was pretty putrid. Steindl, Blanchfield, Sykes and Creek all have room for improvement from last week.

Reply #829992 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Phoenix should be better, but hard to see them winning in Perth all the same. Too poor defensively and the Cats have enough shooting to make them pay.

Reply #830006 | Report this post

Jatz  
Years ago

Refs don't like calling shooting fouls do they? 1 plus 1 in the first quarter.
Wow! Numerous fouls let go so far.

Reply #830008 | Report this post

Dan032  
Years ago

Both of these teams look bottom 2 or 3 at the moment.

Reply #830009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think a team with Cotton will miss the top 4

Reply #830010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess its ok to target a player after you say you will... some of the softest and 1s I've ever seen yet some obvious actual fouls that cause a loss of possession let go...

Reply #830011 | Report this post

Jatz  
Years ago

@Dan032. You said it. The shooting options are poor & the shooting worse. Wildcats don't drive to the hoop. Why? Creek having his own way down the other end.

Reply #830012 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Are we bad or just cock teasing?

Reply #830013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simon Mitchell is a shit coach, there I said it. Run the O through Creek. Leave Gliddon on the bench!!

Reply #830014 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Years ago

They haven't for over 30 years #010, hard to be against it!

Reply #830015 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Wildcats missed the top four in 2009, a lot less than 30 years ago.

Reply #830016 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I think he meant finals even though he was replying to the "top 4" comment.

Remember that year we came 7th in an eleven team league to qualify? Bringing that back up always angers people.

Reply #830018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell is doing a good job with the squad he's got, there you have it I’ve said it. Gleeson is a gun, Perth are not missing finals.

Why only 7000 when they all sit next to one another.

Reply #830020 | Report this post

Jatz  
Years ago

Travers is getting schooled out there.
The match up on Creek is a disaster

Reply #830022 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Way to piss away a ten point lead Phoenix. #seeincredible

Reply #830023 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What a block and then awareness by Mooney with the handoff.

Reply #830024 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

Jeesus will Cam Luke just give Liam Santa a fucking BJ and get it over with. Talking him up more than the game!!

Reply #830026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Remember that year we came 7th in an eleven team league to qualify? Nope.

Reply #830027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cam Luke is horrendous. Please nbl, just letting do his show, he gets players mixed up, says they should have called a time out, for fucks sake it's not the nba, the ball has to be out to call. Santa and Gaze are fine.

Reply #830029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love Gaze commentating on the plays and coaching when between SEABL and the NBL he didn't have a clue.

Reply #830030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phoenix have no one to tape Creek. Idiots. More importantly he wasn't taped. #Idiot

Reply #830031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Santa is shitting me tonight too. Wagstaff landed before he hit it off Moore then. Refs are so shit in Perth

Reply #830032 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow Cotton got picked cleanly there.

Reply #830033 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Followed up by a potential four point play. What bouncebackability.

Reply #830034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cough.

Reply #830035 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

HAHAHAHAHA Wagstaff retire you fool.

Reply #830037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Double cough. #Whatbouncebackability.

Reply #830038 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Instead of retiring they made him captain. Sometimes the game will tell you itself it's time.

Reply #830039 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Wow. What can you say. Can't be many misses worse than that in the history of the league.

Reply #830040 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

OMG Wagstaff.

Credit to Trev though, that was a top play call.

Good to see Phoenix tough it out and get a solid W.

Reply #830041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bunny of the year

Reply #830042 | Report this post

Jatz  
Years ago

Wagstaff. Professional player right? Open shot from 1 foot. Didn't even touch the rim. How does he explain that one???
Butchered a 4 point lead late. No excuses. Poor execution by Wildcats in the last 2 minutes.

Reply #830043 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Pathetic from the captain. Wonder if we'll be recalling this moment later in the year.

Reply #830044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, Wagstaff, got pay back, he's a pro but he gets away with so much shit. Enjoyable game.

Reply #830045 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

That has to be one of the worst misses at the end of a game in NBL history.

Reply #830046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suck it perth

Reply #830047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth World = troll

Reply #830048 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Perfect execution, just can't finish an open left hand layup.

Reply #830049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Instead of retiring they made him captain. Sometimes the game will tell you itself it's time. He missed a shot. If he made it he would be a hero. Way to put Wagstaff down. #tokensupporter

Reply #830050 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Agree re: the play call though, that was beautiful - Cotton had already mentally hit the game winner in my head as soon as SEM scored with 4 seconds left, SEM too and made for the perfect decoy for Wagstaff. Hundred dollar play call, 1 cent finish.

Reply #830051 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Not surprised this all-time howler happened to a player like Wagstaff since he doesn't have the ability to jump. Just shuffles around on the ground, which apparently is acceptable to be a professional basketballer in the NBL. At least it's a wake-up call to the club.

Reply #830052 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Enjoyable game, the coaching was worth watching.

Reckon Mitchell will learn a lot from that game

Reply #830054 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Great play call of course to be positive.

Sykes is legit as well.

I said pre-season on here I wasn't a fan of Wagstaff continuing and surprised he was named captain. So I'm not after timing.

Reply #830055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wagstaff was huge all game so everyone saying he should retire have no idea what they're watching. Yes terrible miss be he hits that 99/100 times

Reply #830056 | Report this post

Macca  
Years ago

Awesome game, 1 each is about right. Mooney is legit, Cotton is the MVP already but the Cats are going to struggle against MU.

Reply #830057 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

On the bright side Cotton/Mooney are the best import duo in the league.

Reply #830058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld said "Instead of retiring they made him captain." So now you say this?
#tokensupporter #Ficklefan.

Reply #830059 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hold the phone with Mooney I think. Solid import, but SEM are terrible defensively, especially inside. Best import duo to me is looking like Illawarra, trio if you include the next star.

Reply #830060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always nice to see the cats lose. In this fashion has an extra nice feel to it.

Reply #830061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The cats are so weak in the guard position. Norton played crap and Cotton was spent towards the end with turnovers as he was chasing Sykes and Adnam. Played way too many minutes against a team that themselves will struggle to make the finals

White plays 2-3 minutes, Brit did not play so other than Norton and Cotton who do they have as reliable ball carriers and play makers If some how that miracle citizenship comes along a point guard import might really be what they need.

Poor execution / team balance assembling this squad.

Reply #830063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I'd think Gleeson would be very happy with the hawks duo. Mooney is good though, looking forward to him and Landale clash. Cotton best player in country by a country mile though.

Reply #830064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perf supporters be like "he was distracted by all of the banners hanging up in the rafters".

This might be an omen for 2 reasons: Perf missing the playoffs and Wagstaff needs to retire.

Reply #830065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Citizenship happened on the 26th of this month didn't it? The rest of your comments are spot on but no Perf fan will agree with you there. 2x cough.

Reply #830066 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Does a Next Star have to be signed before the season began? I agree considering how elite the Hawks duo/trio look we could really do with an extra guard.

Reply #830069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perf supporters pinning all their hopes on Cotton's citizenship.

The rule should be if they haven't got their citizenship by the time the season starts, they are still an import for that season.

Reply #830070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^5.

Reply #830074 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The rule should be if they haven't got their citizenship by the time the season starts, they are still an import for that season.
Why should it?

Reply #830075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton and Mooney need to be studs. The Aussie content at Perth is garbage.

Reply #830077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More specifically the bench is rubbish.
Did Steindl play?

Reply #830078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perf supporters pinning all their hopes on Cotton's citizenship"

If your best Aussie players were Blanchfield, Norton and Steindl you would be pinning your hopes on Cotton getting his citizenship too.

Reply #830080 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Sadly that went pretty much as expected:
The overall quality was shit.
Mitchell learnt from the last game.
Sykes was lest rusty.
Other Wildcats needed to step-up. I was hopeful, and semi-confident, that they would. But no.

End of the day, you are going to win some close games, and lose others. You need more than one clutch player to win more.
But, at home, against one of the weakest teams in the comp, we needed that to not be a close game.

Sadly, all the "obvious" weaknesses in our squad have become a reality.

Our off-season hires were pathetic, with the obvious exception of Mooney.
He needs to stop fouling. Hopefully that will come with experience in this league, but he's also going to struggle against bigger frontcourts.

Can we get Damo to play in moonboots? On one leg he'd be better than half this team.

Can't blame Wagstaff. By this point of his career, he should end of the bench,not carrying such a load.

The irksome part is that I just can't figure out WTF they thought would happen?
Blanchfield??
White???

Even Plumlee would not have been enough.

Reply #830081 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Perf supporters pinning all their hopes on Cotton's citizenship.

The rule should be if they haven't got their citizenship by the time the season starts, they are still an import for that season."

Yeah, if only his Dad once taught at the University in Guam...

Reply #830082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disappointed to lose but dazz making an ass of himself takes away a lot of the hurt. Things could be a lot worse. I could be like him.

Reply #830083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That citizenship rule if not by start of the season it shouldn't count is ludicrous.
As long as they play enough games to qualify for the playoffs.

Early days though... if Perth won by a point then opposition supporters would stroke themselves less tonight.

Reply #830084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are sure to win the spoon.

Reply #830086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched the game and I believe this is possibly the worst Wildcats roster ever. Agree with some of the other comments that many of this season's signings were really strange... it’s almost like they had a budget in mind (due to COVID) and because they still had to pay Cotton full tote, they went budget level elsewhere. Could there be any truth in this theory?

For example, Majok goes down... sign Jarred Bairstow who is providing zero. Why wouldn’t they sign Pledger who is clearly more experienced and provides legitimate size? They signed Kevin White, a 33 year designated stopper, but wait... he can’t stop anybody! He was washed up three years ago but I’d argue he was never good enough even in his best years.
It’s Lo Buluk has come through as a DP but why was he promoted to the full roster if he’s not good enough to contribute? This is a professional league, you don’t promote players just because they’ve done the hard yards as a DP. They have to produce and he’s not giving anything yet.

Too many roster spots are being filled by non-producers. While it’s clear there aren’t a wide amount of experienced players available (especially guards), surely there would have been some (like Pledger) that would have been better options.
Know it’s another topic, but makes me think how on earth Tasmania are going to build their roster for next season.

Reply #830088 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

White was woeful and finished at the Sixers. Can't see why anyone would've signed him after that. They now have White and Wagstaff who should both be retired.

Reply #830089 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Will people look back on this game and view Wagstaff's mods as the beginning of the end of the Wildcats?

Reply #830093 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Miss*

Reply #830094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wagstaff actually played well, minus the last two seconds. Lot off over reaction due to cats loss, yes there squad isn't as strong but they will still make finals. It was there second game, Gleeson will get the pieces right.

Reply #830095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The rule should be if they haven't got their citizenship by the time the season starts, they are still an import for that season.
Why should it?"

Because it is fair for everyone.

Reply #830098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wagstaff is my most disliked player in the league, can't stand the guy and he gets away with so much.
But he played very well last night (as well as game 1), and just had a very unfortunate miss. Anyone saying he should have retired and/or doesn’t deserve to be captain has zero clue, he still contributes a lot to the team.

Reply #830105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Wagstaff is still contributing.
Jervis still ok after time away from the game.
White, Bairstow and Lo Buluk clearly benchwarmers. Steindl needs to fire up.
Cotton and Mooney need help they can't do it all themselves.
Is it too late for a next star?

Reply #830110 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Agree with some of the other comments that many of this season's signings were really strange... it's almost like they had a budget in mind (due to COVID) and because they still had to pay Cotton full tote, they went budget level elsewhere. Could there be any truth in this theory?

There is a rumour that Bendat's daughter is now having a say on Jack's behalf re: Wildcats funding and doesn't want to spend.

Reply #830111 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Will people look back on this game and view Wagstaff's miss as the beginning of the end of the Wildcats?

It could be hugely symbolic as THE turning point. Dropping the ball both literally and figuratively. With the news a non-profit organisation wants to buy the club from Bendat maybe current ownership are going through the motions during their last season.

Reply #830112 | Report this post

JasonC  
Years ago

I'm so glad that the mathematicians and scientists of the world don't operate within the sample size of information that the majority of people here work with.
2 games. From a team that's barely played together.
Every year it's the same story whenever the Cats look shaky. And every year I watch in awe and wonder and an awful amount of amusement as they still manage to find a way to be the last team standing.
No one ever learns.

The Wildcats have NEVER been just about star players. They've been about a system. A team system. And that system has stood the test of time for over 30 years. As a side note, that's called a good sample size

Until other teams, fans and "experts" start to realise that success is not just about individuals and more about systems and teams all being on the same page and working together, they'll never be able to compete with the long term juggernaut of success that the Wildcats have proven to enjoy time and time again.

Good luck to you all. You'll need it.
Let's report back at the end of the season.

JasonC

Reply #830118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes let's report back. Because no "system" is going to take those players to the post season in 2021. Everyone can see that.

Reply #830126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a Perth fan but I am also a realist.
Yes 2 games isn't a huge sample size but anyone with a brain can see Perth aren't deep or talented beyond Cotton and Mooney.

I look forward to 2021 off season.
Missing the playoffs for the first time in years will help lead to a roster clean out.

Reply #830128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It just shows when you spend less you get less quality, Perth on a budget gets it back to where most teams are except United. They will still play finals imo.

Reply #830130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If owners want to keep the crowds coming in they need wins and a talented roster. I was going to buy tickets for the sunday game but seeing last nights game struggle against a bottom team and showing woefuldepth I figured Ill keep my $350+ in my pocket.

At those prices you have to win.

Reply #830133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wagstaff played well. Perthworld is an idiot who plays local league and comments from the sideline to pump up his fragile ego. If Wagstaff were younger, it would be some other critique.... but when players are "older," some people take the opportunity to use it as the reason for everything - "they can't make free throws because they are old," "they can't be captain because of their age," bla bla bla.

The fact is, anyone can miss a bunny like that. He's as reliable as it gets and he's human. People are seriously over-reacting.

Reply #830134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt Perthworld even plays for any league.
Wagstaff still playing well would take him over Trist or Pinder.

Reply #830141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek had a great game but very lucky on that last play, Wagstaff felt sorry for him.

Reply #830144 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Just heard (ABC news) that W/cats game postponed as a number of the team are feeling un-well. Is the source (or "sauce" as some prefer!) Dr Gleeson?

Reply #830149 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

A number of NZ players that is....

I didn't even notice that Wagtaff had missed.
Strange, going for an open lay up, I kinda 'put the glasses down'
Basketballers don't miss open lay ups. Weird.
Then Phoenix had won !!

Reply #830172 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:59 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754