Anonymous
Years ago

Lamelo Ball is the real deal

34 points in his third start. Where are all the naysayers now??

Topic #48062 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Years ago

Right on Homicide ;-)

Reply #831012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol dickheads lol..........ROTY

Reply #831016 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Averaged 17/7/7 in NBL, now averaging 13/6/6 in NBA.

Reply #831018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was always going to good, talent is talent. Lot haters around so just got move on.

Reply #831019 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I was impressed by the variety of ways he found to score.

Reply #831064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't help winning...good numbers and teams that won’t win

Reply #831073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pfft. How many turnovers he averaging? Always capable of putting up numbers but till he's consistent, just another shit Jordan pick.

Reply #831077 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A rookie being judged as a prime pro, it seems. His assist-to-turnover ratio is better than that of Trae Young, Jokic, Jamal Murray, Rose, Morant, Lowry, Lebron, Kyrie, Simmons, Doncic, Fultz plus others. 19 years old. Got years ahead of him to find consistency.

Reply #831085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good player in a weak NBA

Reply #831087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Future hall of famer

Reply #831104 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Was bound to be a quality NBA player

No surprises

Reply #831133 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Lol dickheads lol..........ROTY

I completely agree. I was joking. Lamelo is and was always going to be a great NBA player

Reply #831178 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Had another big game today, setting the Hornets franchise record for threes by a rookie en route to 24 points, 7 rebounds and 10 assists.

Averaging 22/6/6 in five games of February. 48% 3P and 93% FT.

Hornets now 12-13.

Combination of confidence, court smarts and opportunity work to his advantage in the style of the NBA, it seems.

Reply #831604 | Report this post

Tjamu  
Years ago

I'll be honest and own my fuck up.

I didnt think he was going to be ready yet. Didnt say he was gonna be a bust. i dont think anyone can foretell who will bust. but i did say that he'd need a year or two to start doing numbers.

I was wrong. my mates rip me for it but hey, im happy a #3 pick that came from our Aussie league is dominating. does wonders for us.

Like, whatever, Terrance Ferguson, Jae'Sean T8 and Ball hooping is great for us!

Congrats to Melo for proving me wrong.

My predction for him was 11/6/6 and hes at what?? 14-6-6 and still trending upward. All success is deserved!

Reply #832140 | Report this post

Three to Make Two  
Years ago

When he was at the Hawks, he always seemed so composed and level-headed, on and off the court, despite all the hoopla going on around him. When he was sitting on the bench he was frequently chatting with Dave Andersen, one of the most experienced players around and, probably, a good influence.

Reply #834137 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'll admit I didnt think he'd be this good so soon. He actually looks better as an NBA player than an NBL player. A year of growth can help a lot. Well done to him.

Reply #834143 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Zach Lowe:

Ball is for real -- including in ways even Ball optimists did not expect so soon. He's shooting 38% from deep on heavy volume (and 80% at the line!) and has been fine on defense by rookie standards. Yeah, he ball watches here and there. He slacks into an upright stance at times.

But his size, rebounding, and nose for the ball mostly compensate for so-so habits he can iron out. Ball is a playmaker on defense. He is a deterrent at the rim when he raises his arms. Best of all, he's trying to stay engaged. He's attentive, head on a swivel, and you already see him learning the patterns of NBA offense -- making some advanced off-ball rotations.

Watch enough NBA games, and you internalize the pacing of specific actions -- how ball handlers navigate options on the pick-and-roll, when they sling that pass to corner shooters. You notice right away when someone plays in between the usual beats. Most of those players are really good. Ball is one.

There is something a little different about the rhythm and timing of that pass -- and a lot of Ball's passes. Maybe it's that he throws it after he crosses half court -- a second later than most guards toss these diagonal hit-aheads. Maybe it's the way he accelerates his dribble into the pass instead of slowing down to gather and aim. That pacing -- combined with a one-handed delivery that flows right out of his dribble -- serves to disguise the pass until it's airborne.

Ball's cadence is maybe 5% off the norm. That's true even in the half court, where he flicks hook passes from unusual angles -- waist-level, over his head -- and unusual places with both hands. That 5% dissonance can make someone very hard to defend -- especially once his teammates digest it, and understand how to play off of it. It helps that Ball is a threat to score out of the pick-and-roll; defenses can't load up on the pass.

Rookie of the Year looks like a wrap.

Reply #835801 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Yep I thought he would be a bust...my bad

Reply #837542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He now has a fractured wrist, or at least that is the fear. Such a shame. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Reply #838271 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Its a shame as he was looking great and definitely proved me wrong.

I'd say that Edwards would now be favourite for the ROY.

Reply #838286 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:08 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754