Jack Toft
Years ago

MEL v PER Feb 7

Can we have two MOTRs? Yeah...nah....

While the birds peck each other in Melbourne, United tap on again for the trip up to Bendigo to tussle with the only team with 10* Championships in the NBL.

Melbourne are undefeated and are in second spot, on percentage, behind everyone's second team The Hawks. It was a clinical display of strength against the hapless Bullets on Friday with Goulding having the ball on a string scoring 7/11 beyond the arc to get his 27 points. The Wildcats will need to be all over him like a cheap suit from Myers if they want any chance of an away win today. They better get used to the cheap hotel rooms and Uber eats because for the next 8 weeks they are on tour. Have they brought their roadies? Does Jesse Wagstaff have ridiculous rock star requirements for away games like "only red M&Ms" or "a bottle of Margaret River Chardonnay" after the game?

Perth are known for their D and will be squeezing United down that end of the court. But.... it's hard to see United drop this one. They'll get the win today and celebrate with an organic soy latte afterwards.

United 90 to 86.

Topic #48064 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Acul playing, been good off the bench, if he's out it weakens United depth in 4-5. Still can’t see Perth getting close to United.

United by 15 and Gleeson to get the foul call louder as game moves on.

Reply #831176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the weakest Perth roster since the early 80's. United by 20

Reply #831179 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

If we're fully focused and don't let Melb get off the chain then I think we can keep the margin to 14

Reply #831192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United is Perth's bunny. Perth by 2

Reply #831247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love to see Perth win this, but can't see United losing. At the moment there is daylight between united and all the other teams.

Reply #831251 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

United should win comfortably but then everyone would've expected the Hawks to beat SEM comfortably too.

Reply #831252 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What the fuck was that shot?

Reply #831253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does McDaniel have the worst shooting technique ever?
How is Barlow still getting minutes? United got injuries?

Reply #831254 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That was an ugly second half of that first quarter, which suits us.

Reply #831255 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Serious question- Are these rings at these regional towns to standard? No one can hit anything so far!

Reply #831256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did the commentators want to mention that block was all ball? or are we still just going to talk about how good landale is?

Reply #831257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Perth GM needs to be ashamed of how much bad level talent he has surrendered poor cotton with. This man is a stud and deserves better

Reply #831258 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cotton is even more of an MVP now by being surrounded by this trash. Amazing player.

Reply #831259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh fuck me, my exact words through the coverage, I was talking about Cotton. If not the best I've seen in the nbl certainly top few.

Reply #831260 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"More fakes than a Chinese DVD store."

I love Gaze.

Reply #831261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton is one of the greats for sure.

United looking more beatable today. They're a different team when Landale is off the court.

Reply #831262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing to do with the GM. Trev has complete control with roster management and recruiting.

Reply #831263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pity cotton can't get citizenship because of the incompetent government,

Reply #831264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game, great commentary and good refereeing, letting the players play. Cotton oh my, Goulding shot from the the more fakes than a Chinese DVD store was , oh my as well.
Landale showing Mooney up a bit. Ili a big loss for United.
Love seeing smaller stadiums full and rocking. Love it, :::))))))) and it's tough:::)))))

Reply #831265 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Perth had the option to make Mooney a next star. Would have solved a lot of problems

Reply #831266 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Vickerman is already blaming the refs.

Reply #831267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time out...whats the go with no masks in the stands

Reply #831268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country folk on different rules.

Reply #831269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman worked though. Cotton should have had two and ones

Reply #831270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought reffing has been better than average so far, but Q3 has had a bunch of obvious errors.

Surprised Wildcats have are playing as well as they are. Seem generally well coached. They have some shit players who can barely move freely.

Enjoying Landale's play. Mooney has been really weak defending the spin on the post. Not only against Landale either. Noticed it in other games.

Reply #831271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesus I see we are rewarding United for nothing now. Barlow did not deserve a call there!

Reply #831272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing like a straight tech without a warning... shoulder dropped, arm came up...

Reply #831275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clocks at zero still in hand, can't rely on the lights, they are clearly delayed

Reply #831278 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

When it's that blatant it probably doesn't warrant a warning

Reply #831279 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Did they give that???
Click at zero, ball still in hand....

Reply #831280 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The points count!

Reply #831281 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

I think Wagstaff got the first flop warning hence the T.
That said seen a lot less contact flops go unpunished than that

Reply #831282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the clock is at zero and it is still in his hand how does it count?

Reply #831283 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Because the clock shows 0 even when it is actually 0.09
Thus the red light

Reply #831284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another non existent call for United. If they are calling something that soft, then Perth should be shooting more freethrows too.

Reply #831285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A two hand push in the back, no call? United to go undefeated if they get away with this shit

Reply #831286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for clearing up luuc

Reply #831287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here come the refs to get United over the line...

Reply #831288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesus Christ the refs obviously have United in their multi.

Reply #831289 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

And what a team effort it has been. Vickerman sent out the SOS during his half time interview.

Reply #831290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best of asia should be a goal for the nbl to get them here.

Reply #831291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson and vickerman having a yelling contest, between the foul and the heeey.

Blanchfield is no replacement for terrico, and that's being nice.

Reply #831292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United now getting decisions reversed...lmao, what a joke.

Reply #831293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton is absolute garbage

Reply #831294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's conclusive: the refs have ruined a good game. United to go undefeated. Refs for MVP

Reply #831295 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Norton is clearly perths biggest liability.

Reply #831296 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Baba killin' us!

Reply #831297 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That's an interesting insight made by the commentary team - Baba is the most athletic and fit player on the United squad based on pre-season testing.

Reply #831298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bad: Refs

Absolute terrible: NBL's decision to do reviews for everything

Reply #831300 | Report this post

Kevin Booth  
Years ago

Blanchfield is invisible! Terrico weeps.

Reply #831301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

even Gaze, can't understand anything the refs are doing. Although every time its to perths disadvantage

Reply #831303 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cotton giving us a chance still.

Reply #831304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton for MVP. What a player.

Reply #831305 | Report this post

Jatz  
Years ago

Melbourne was up by 10 late in game. Now by 3. Poor options & shooting from Melbourne. Cotton!!!!!!

Reply #831306 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ouch

Reply #831307 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What a shame.

Reply #831308 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Perth are way too 1 dimensional, this run everything through Bryce gameplan might be just a tad too predictable even for Trev's lofty standards (See 1970s Flex Offense)
The referees realised they took the line option on Melbourne at the Half in their multi so had to get creative late in the third then early in the fourth to cover the spread. They did so well in fact that Tony Soprano now wants a sitdown to discuss what they can do for him in future fixtures.
Cotton & Travers - That is all the guards Perth has. Steindl has the confidence of some 13yo emo kid who listens to marilyn manson a little too much. Blanchfield is just Steindl 2.0 but instead of manson, his playlist is more Korn and Limp Bizkit. The other signings just do not make sense for them to remotely challenge. Wagstaff has lost a step, ditto Jervis. They need Cotton to get 30ppg and Moonie to get 20 & 20 per game just to be competitive.

Reply #831309 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

2 games in a row Bryce has had a killer late turnover

Reply #831310 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

BA should be on there government's arse every week to get Cotton cleared.
Australia need him in the Olympics

Reply #831311 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

^ Sad but true.

Reply #831312 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Refs have been fine. A couple of 50/50 calls going against Perf doesn't equal some grand conspiracy.

Reply #831313 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Steindl has the confidence of some 13yo emo kid who listens to marilyn manson a little too much. Blanchfield is just Steindl 2.0 but instead of manson, his playlist is more Korn and Limp Bizkit. The other signings just do not make sense for them to remotely challenge. Wagstaff has lost a step, ditto Jervis.

Well said. Strange how we've become the men's shed equivalent of an NBL group home for emo man-child players.

Reply #831314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

blanchfield and steindl, the brick brothers

Reply #831315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

twenty four, the game completely flipped. Cotton went from getting calls to getting beaten up. Not sure perth shot a free throw for most of the second half, even the commentary was asking questions. Lastly vs this United team, that is STACKED in a 4pt game, id say some obvious
"50/50" calls going Uniteds way really matters to the outcome.

Reply #831316 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Baba Player of the Game. NBL is going to be big in Japan. Watch out world.

Reply #831317 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Here I was thinking it was just Jeremy Lin in a United uniform using some google name they created for his passport from North Korea!

Reply #831318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game.

Norton is very serviceable, Blanchfield and Steindl are Perth let downs. Mooney should be a next star, he ain't playing nba.

Melbourne very deep squad, no Goulding, no Illi, still win. Refs good over all.

Cotton is lot better than a lot of nba players. He needs a bit help though .

The nbl is no cup cake league, all games are intense.

Reply #831319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha Perth fans complaining about not getting the 50/50 calls they do use - no home cooking this season boys

Reply #831320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if LV has an opinion about home cooking today...

Reply #831322 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

2 huge gaffs by Perth at end of successive games. First Wagstaff's missed lay-up and today's over-and-back by Cotton.

Neither deserve that ignominy but that's life!

Reply #831323 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Medium-well done?

Reply #831326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The free throws and foul count favoured Perth, they still got home cooking. Vickerman got go from the hay to foul call. Refs were good and I was hoping for a Perth win.

Reply #831327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs missed a couple of obvious ones which favoured Melbourne, including overturning a decision that was inconclusive at best. Those calls halted Perth's momentum a few times.

Reply #831328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Replay center that has 8 camera angles. Not the refs

Reply #831329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton desperate for help, nothing they have brought in replaces Kay's or White's output.

Mooney is serviceable inside like Kay but Kay would hit big 3s. The sag defence on Mooney killed Cottons spacing on drives.

White may have been streaky but literally nothing covers that loss.

Sorely needing at least a stretch big and a wing player to step up or they are cooked.

Reply #831330 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Blanchfield missing a few open looks he needs to be better for Perth to be an offensive threat. He's still been on par with a typical terrico white effort though. Steindl hasn't rediscovered his shooting touch of last season he seems to be forcing it. Norton? Does he even have a plan B when he drives to the basket? He doesn't have the vision to dish when he's double teamed under the hoop. I'd rather him shoot the three when he's open. Perth need a descent 4/5 and another shooter. Which one is the priority for when they can get another import? Cant see them being a contender this year without improving in both positions. Only chance would be if a returning aussie becomes available to bolster their roster.

Reply #831331 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

The cliche is 'those are the ones you have to win' but in actual fact i don't think that one was one one the cats expected to win. Disrupted lead up to say the least against a stacked team who isa possibility to go undefeated.

Would of loved to have knocked them off but not to be. Some questionable calls going the way of the home side but that is nothing unusual. Hopefully the boys settle in to hub life and grab 3 or 4 wins against SEM.

Reply #831334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like a long season for cats fans.

- Wagstaff/Stiendl/Blachfield - disappointing for the time on court
- Norton - Too one dimensional , drive and "chuck" shoot. Needs to create more for his team and actually be able to carry the ball down late in the game for cotton to setup
- Travis/Shervil - exactly what you get from DP's/kids
- Jervis - not enough time to tell . But didnt play well with sticky fingers getting fouls
- Mooney small for the 5 which we know and lacks a 3point game.
- White - could we swap for Melbournes White please
- Swani/Brit - no impact/not playing

Team is really poorly balanced with few mid career players with decent upside. Either all vets or kids. Been a few years of relying on the old guard who when finally retired there not much left

Other teams have been getting new talent out of college and really looking to build the next generation.

Poor Cotton needs better around him

Management nerer

Reply #831335 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's always baffled me how as a professional basketballer Norton lacks the ability to drive to the hoop properly.

Reply #831336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth lost to United in Melbourne by 4. They basically haven't trained for a week or more and are incorporating half a team that is new. I'd say there may be some overreacting going on. Forget paper for a second, this current team has not come close to its ceiling

Reply #831337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Says someone who has no idea.
Incidentally what does BA have to do with Cottons citizenship?

Reply #831338 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

Solid win considering the outs for United. Really sloppy first quarter but was able to grind out the win. Landale looked to be dominating Mooney early but I thought they broke even by the end. Cotton continues his MVP form, but surely they can't expect him to continue playing 35-38 minutes a game and basically the only outside threat rolling off screen after screen. Blanchfield is the missing link, he just has to step up if the Wildcats are to compete. Since his Townsville days he’s been so inconsistent. Baba’s energy and intensity is impressive, looking forward to seeing how he performs starting at the 2 with Goulding out.

Reply #831353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much $ do you think Baba is on?

You'd imagine he’d make more in the Japanese league but chose the NBL due to is quality/reputation.

Reply #831355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you look at the posts on hoops, if Baba played for Sydney you could estimate he would be on between $75,000 and $95,000, but since he plays for Melbourne United around here you could say he is on $350,000 to $550,000. But truthfully the value will lie somewhere between those two. I'm glad he is here, he is good for the league and I hope it helps him in the future. A very nice, likable guy too.

Reply #831356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth aren't as good as last year, it happens.

Norton, Blanchfield and Travers would come off the bench on any other team.

White, Lo Buluk, Bairstow and Jervis yikes the bench sucks.

Wagstaff showing his age and Steindl playing like crap.

Reply #831370 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yudai Baba!!!!

Oh and Cottons turnover almost as bad as Wagstaff's layup, so much for experienced campaigners being clutch. Try choking 2 games straight

United showcased their depth, no Ili or CG, it became the Baba show with McCarron putting nice points on the board and proving he can score

United seems to be doing just enough every game, 5-0 without having any great 4 quarter effort on the board. Defense a level up from last year keeps them competitive even when offense not clicking for stretches

Reply #831371 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

On home cooking I'm not sure I would've paid the Barlow 3.

Baba Cotton clearly off Cotton though.

United did have some pretty soft fouls called on them too

Reply #831374 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

On home cooking I'm not sure I would've paid the Barlow 3.
Why is everyone picking the objectively correct call as the one to be upset about?

Reply #831375 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I thought his fingers still touching the ball at 0.00

Could be wrong

Reply #831386 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The clock is irrelevant, only the backboard light matters.

Reply #831388 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Oh really? Fair enough then

In that case it malfunctioned, or is perhaps sub standard set up- the light should go at exactly 0.0?

Reply #831390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ball was not clearly off Cotton at all.

Reply #831394 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

The barlow 3 was a line ball. The clock is to 1 decimal (0.2, 0.1, 0.0) but ball could of left his hands at 0.01 etc, so don't care about that one.

The Cotton one was the crap one as they overturned their call and it was far from conclusive that Cotton touched it.

Reply #831395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Oh and Cottons turnover almost as bad as Wagstaff's layup, so much for experienced campaigners being clutch. Try choking 2 games straight."

Some clutch viewing for you LV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6xA-XCemqc

Reply #831398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Cotton one was the crap one as they overturned their call and it was far from conclusive that Cotton touched it."

Yes. That was a critical point in the game too.

Reply #831482 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:27 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754