Isaac
Years ago

NBL plus-minus by team after four rounds

Season totals ranked by team, thanks to @NBLfacts. Consider with a grain of salt, etc.

Topic #48069 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most useless stat in basketball, not even done in a lot European comps. If you get subbed on when the opposition is going to the stripe, you are straight into the minus. Who are you on the court with and how long, it's rubbish. Daniel Johnson at -65 is a clue to this stat, Creek -13 is another.

Reply #831397 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Like I said, grain of salt and all.

Amazingly consistent coaching by Henry for DJ to be constantly subbed on just as the opposition is about to shoot free throws.

Reply #831400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Cairns

Reply #831403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D Sloan is minus 36, and the 36ers are minus D Sloan.

Reply #831404 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Haven't seen it posted yet, but I imagine it's fairly negative viewing.

Reply #831409 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

+/- are a terrible stat as it is not directly linked to you. Your man doesn't touch the ball, Cotton sinks a 3, you are -3. Cotton sinks 2 in a row, you are -6. Now Cotton sinks his 3rd in a row, coach calls timeout, you are subbed in rotations and you are now -9 and it's got nothing to do with you. These stats are very misleading and variable.
DJ was the only player Sixers had in 20pt loss to Melb. He was also the best player Sixers had in losses to SEM and Kings.

Reply #831423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson and AJ Ogilvy sum it up for me.
How many would pick AJ over DJ.

Would be interested in efficiency stats, points per 40 mins etc.

Reply #831425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixtiesrockstar, what about the play at the other end? Did you not make the extra pass or the easy layup to add +2 to the score? Or defensively, your man might not have touched it but did you do a hard show on the screen so Cotton wasn't so wide open?

Yes it's misleading but your analysis of it was far too simplistic.

Reply #831427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rockstar on the money.

It looks nice but so many variables, you can come in on foul throws and be straight in minus, your team turns it over, your team can be in foul trouble and your team fouls on first play and you are-4 instantly, and so on.

Reply #831429 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

sixtiesrockstar, your passage doesn't account for the times you benefit through limited action of your own; that would have *some* balancing effect. On aggregate, if whenever someone was on, their team was outscored beyond the margin, people would ask questions and look a bit deeper.

Spatial Jam usually has player combos with plus-minus too, plus accounts for garbage time which I don't think NBLFacts has.

DJ had a -31 in the opening game which would be a pretty savage influence on his number. Combining with Sloan more often than a bench player might've hurt his numbers.

Reply #831430 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

using DJ as example shows +- is flawed. -31 in first game because his teammates were just crap.

Reply #831493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noi at the half has top cairns score at 13 but worst plus, minus at +1. I'm not certain what that all means but it says to me it’s probably a crappy stat.

Reply #831505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or it says Noi is a crappy defender?

Reply #831539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like what you did there #404, clever pickup

Reply #831709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For all those claiming subbing in on FT's make you an instant negative. This is not the case with the latest FIBA live stats program - it goes on the players subbed out. So making that assumption for these plus/minus is false.

Reply #831716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most useless stat in basketball. Correct.
There are ways to stat stuff that take in all game situations including what the opposition does. +/- Isn't one of them. All stats for every player on the floor.

Reply #831720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#716, it's not happening in the nbl, I watch both game and stats and it’s not working that way.

Reply #831722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Over a large sample size this is one of the most useful stats in basketball. If you're team does better when you are on or off the floor over a long period of time, that tells a tale that most boxscores stats can't. Like any stat though, further investigation is required as to the 'why'.

It's still early in the season, but Adelaide have outscored teams by 42 points in the 60-odd minutes Johnson has been on the bench. That suggests those line-ups are working well, will be interesting to see if that continues.

Reply #831737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You need a far better system that takes into account all stats including what the opposition does.

Reply #831903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really, because basketball is about scoring more points than the opposition. No stat tells you the why, but plus-minus is good for telling the what over a large sample size.

Reply #831923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The worst use of +/- I've ever seen was when Homicide used it to show Cairns, as a team, was +22 against Perth in one game last season. No Corey, that's called the final margin.

Reply #831928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is there no NZ or Cairns plus minus.

Personally I think it's the most overrated stat, but if you look at last night game the players who helped the kings win all had good plus, minus. It just the way it pans out, really doesn’t mean shit.

Reply #832275 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:22 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754