Anonymous
Years ago

New technical foul/suspension rule

I've heard through the grape vine that there is now a ruling in regards to technical fouls. 3 technical fouls and the player/coach is suspended for a week. What does everyone think of this?

Topic #48092 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What league?

Reply #832345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The grapevine doesn't have a FIBA rule? If it does please cite it to keep KR happy. If not don't post crap based on the meaningless / unsubstantiated grapevine.

Reply #832346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't want NBL refs with that sort of power

Reply #832354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are we talking about this rule being implemented? Its a thing in the VJBL now if we're talking about a junior league? Think the NBA may have a threshold on tech fouls before you get suspended but its much more than 3

Reply #832358 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I'm a player in 18s and during the game last night one of the opposition players received a technical foul and that ref proceeded to tell him that there was a new rule that he's only allowed 3 before he gets suspended so there's truth to this. I'm playing div 1 or what's called metro league 1s now i guess so not sure if the same rules apply for district league and below.

Reply #832359 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Basketball SA. New rule this year.

Reply #832360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's being implemented in SA after seeing a significant decline in behavioral issues in the Victorian Leagues. Applicable to all leagues except NBL1

Reply #832361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont want to be critical but how could they see whether there was a decline in issues...

They put the rule in during the 2019 season and have then had nothing to compare it to given 2020 was cancelled and 2021 has just started

The number of technicals I saw from the reports were not good, lots of people getting the maximum penalty after 5 technicals and not much movement from the first report to the second

Happy to be told im wrong if you have other info

Reply #832368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I haven't seen any final by-laws in SA stating that. Not sure how it can be implemented when no-one is clear on the new rules

Reply #832375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's SA. Meh...

Reply #832376 | Report this post

Classified  
Years ago

Nah.
I think they should keep 2 tech fouls and you are out of the arena, but i dunno if the suspension goes to it.

Reply #832392 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

Good point, 375. However, this specific change has been confirmed for several months now and clubs definitely know the details.

Reply #832394 | Report this post

Under a Rock  
Years ago

#368 is it possible they compared the previous season stats in sports TG and then compared them to the stats from the season it was introduced, which would then show the reduction in technical fouls called?

Reply #832421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#421 good point but I would imagine there would be some accuracy issues. The current tech foul rules require the referees to submit a jotform on the behavioural technical foul meaning high accuracy whereas the sportstg info isnt able to distinguish between behavioural and non-behavioural tech fouls!

Youre also relying on parent scorers to know to press techincal foul instead of the normal personal foul!

Reply #832460 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

BNSW started that rule in seniors about 6-7 years ago and a record was kept and if 3rd Tech or Unsportsmanlike or mix occurred you automatically received a one week suspension.

It taught some players and coaches to keep their mouth shut instead of being idiots all the time and they had to learn discipline.

Some junior associations had a rule if you received a Tech in the game you automatically sat out the following week.

Reply #832471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also the difference in capability of referees at various stadiums and competitions. I have seen one referee give 6 consecutive tech fouls as he couldn't manage a situation. A more experienced referee would probably given none.

I would hate to have a player missing an important game due to the inconsistent interpretation of a matter by referees or less experienced referees being influenced into giving a tech foul by a vocal crowd or coach.

I have no issue with the intent of the law but not sure we have people capable within SA to ensure consistency of application.

Reply #832477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tissue? How about coaches and players just play and shut their mouths and there will be no need to worry about inconsistencies

Reply #832478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My understanding of FIBA rule is if you get two of either/or Tech/USF you are ejected. How does one person get three if thats the case?

Reply #832490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Accumulated 3 tech fouls across multiple games Einstein. Hit your 3 tech threshold and your suspended

Reply #832495 | Report this post

Krazy  
Years ago

Would've put me in strife in the final stages of my div 1 district stages lol. My regression and incompetent referees were not a great mix!

Not a bad rule in my opinion TBH.

Reply #832507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you carry techs forward. What utter crap if true.

Reply #832511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha and people think BSA are capable of tracking this? They can't even do the simple jobs they have. Is Morrison running the BSA marketing strategy. All talk no action.

Reply #832519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's similar to the nba. Hence the jotform to track behaviour technicals.

Reply #832523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolute joke if it is true. Just giving more power to refs, maybe teach the refs how to communicate and make them responsible for there mistakes before you start suspending players for the incompetence of some referees

Reply #832821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolute joke if it is true. Just giving more power to refs, maybe teach the refs how to communicate and make them responsible for there mistakes before you start suspending players for the incompetence of some referees

Reply #832822 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

keep ya mouth shut and play ball. simple

Reply #832843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Show me in the rule book #822 where it says if a referee makes a mistake players and coaches can abuse them and swear at them? You're just snakey that there is a holiday coming your way because you can't keep your mouth shut.

Reply #832845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parents should be held to this cause some of them are the worse on the sidelines - U10 parents are top of the list. Tech fouls should be administered on spectators as well and put on the coach and I guarantee the coach will be making it crystal clear about their position. So many refs have left the game due to obnoxious behavior not only from parents but players. I know for a fact - ref's being spat on, threatened in parking lots, threatened physical harm, etc. These people have been reported and BSA either dished out minor penalties or done stuff all in the past and let these animals continue their bad behavior. The harsher the penalty the better - kids and parents will learn their lessons real quick. I say if refs are being threatened physical harm in future, bring the cops in and their children can see them be handcuffed and taken away in the back of a paddy wagon.

Their names should be up in lights on the website as suspended with a big picture.

This behavior shouldn't be a part of sport and teaching kids at a young age gives them good direction for their future in sports.

Yes - BSA and clubs should put this on public forum for everyone to read and know what the new rules are. Sport is supposed to be a fun activity even when competitive and many have taken that away because of they way they act.

Reply #832862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't penalise the kids with technical fouls and potentially a loss due to the behaviour of a parent.

Reply #832870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But if a parent doesn't pay their fees - the kids is penalised by not playing. Would change parents attitudes and the game would be much better for it.

Reply #832871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If only there were no parents in junior sports apart from dropping them off and picking them up. From having a break from coaching for a number of years to returning recently, parents are an absolute nightmare. Gone are the days where parents would just be there to support their kids, now they think they know more than anyone, coaches and refs especially. Not all are like that, but there's been a large increase in what I've seen. And not just in one club before everyone jumps on certain clubs. Been disgusted with behaviour of parents in my games that have had to tell them to calm down. But kids see their parents doing it and think its acceptable and copy them.

Reply #832872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So I 100% agree that there is no reason to abuse refs and as a Coach and a refs I think the answer is not as simple as "Just shut your mouth". From the coaching side of it the number of games where the ref's have no intersted in the game they are umpiring and spend more time talking to the mates on the side line is crazy and what is consequence for them??? Nothing 3 games here is your pay see you next week. As the coach if I question, complain escalate to the stadium supervisor nothing. So I control my player, parents and try and coach. When do we stay to the Ref's you get 2/3/4 warnings then sorry mate go home?

Reply #832873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately because your brethren have driven so many from the sport you cant because if you move them on the cupboard is bare.

Reply #832874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abuse is only one reason referees quit. To put it all on that is completely unfair.

Reply #832875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why? Are you a ref? At the lower level it's a constant struggle every tick of the clock. No call is ever right.

Reply #832878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes actually I am.

Reply #832897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I'm Larry K.

Reply #832899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reffing is the only job you can do wrong and still not get in trouble for it. I've never seen a head ref not back up his referee even if it’s blatant wrong

Reply #833079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This would be hilarious at Big V level! I know a few teams that will be missing their coach every other week

Reply #833090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just remember - Coaches are the problem!

Reply #833097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youth league Big V coaches are the worst

Reply #833119 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:52 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754