Newbie16
Years ago

Brand New- Late 20s players looking to get into it

Hey guys,

Long admirer of the sport. Played soccer my entire life so never really tried to play basketball.

I'm 27 and done with soccer. Now play social basketball in a lower grade and do ok! But nothing to write home about.

My question is what is the quality in the lower grades of district (or amateur leagues, what we you want to call it). I would love to start fresh and give it a crack but unsure if I’ll be too far gone to for a semi-serious level at this stage.

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether I’d look silly giving the lowest possible grade at this age and with a lack of experience or could it be possible?

Cheers

Topic #48098 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

How tall and athletic are you?

Reply #832590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth need a better bench.

Reply #832594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always some cockwomble on here.

Reply #832603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this what this forum has come to???
Just contact a club that is nearby and go to a training session.

Reply #832605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you an athlete? Probably do a season in state league to sell yourself to an nbl team

Reply #832608 | Report this post

Hawky  
Years ago

Considering the OP has crossed codes and is now supporting the grass roots of basketball he deserves better than some of those posts above. Not funny or helpful, do you have nothing better to do?

If you're athletic and have good co-ordination you'll be fine. The lower grades are generally teams that would play B - C grade social competition given what I've experienced. Its a far more serious and organised competition, good luck.

Reply #832610 | Report this post

Newbie16  
Years ago

Hey Hawky,

Appreciate that mate. I'm in ok nick! I can definitely run out a game and have some add fitness behind me so I think I should be ok there.

Really appreciate the information and help. I’ll look to contact a team this week.

I will say it is a little disappointing and a bit discouraging to see some of the other posts on here. I’m aware how difficult of a challenge basketball faces against the football codes (AFL, Soccer, etc) and other sports so you’d think as a community you’d try to support anyone looking to involve themselves in the game. I have a little one that I’d love to get playing shortly as well but just hope the support network for Juniors is a little more inclusive and positive than what’s been shown here.

Cheers again

Reply #832611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth need scoring. Are you a good shooter.

Reply #832612 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

I think it's possible. A lot of players start leaving the game in the mid 20s because of work commitments and realising they won't make it to the next level.

If you're a good athlete and a decent size you could well do ok. Just play within yourself. A player who simply crashes the boards hard is useful at this level for instance.

Reply #832767 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:04 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754