hag
Years ago

Funny All Star Weekend Results

Southern easily defeated Northern in the womens allstar game. They were too tall and too strong in all positions.

6ers defeated Mavericks 100-85
Jacob Holmes scored an incredible 47 pts for the Mavs.
Darren Ng topscored for the 6ers with 25.

Topic #481 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

I'll put up the box scores in the morning.

Reply #3913 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sixers 100, Eastern 85.

For the Sixers:

Ng: 24 points in 37 minutes (9/17 FG, 2/4 3P, 4/6 FT), 5 rebounds, 3 assists.

Forman: 17 points in 37 minutes (6/13 FG, 2/2 3P, 3/3 FT), 13 rebounds, 2 blocks.

Rees: 17 points in 35 minutes (7/12 FG, 3/3 FT), 8 rebounds, 3 assists.

Cooper: 11 points in 31 minutes (3/6 FG, 5/6 FT), 12 rebounds.

Christian Bell had 8 and 5, Hambour had 4, Gower 3. Williams had 7, 6, and 4 in 18 minutes.

For the Mavericks:

Holmes: 47 points in 47 minutes (15/36 FG, 3/7 3P, 14/18 FT), 14 rebounds, 3 steals.

No other Maverick was in double figures. Goodenough had 8, 5 and 5. Madgen had 2, Davis had 4, Bungey 3, Campbell 6, Warhurst 9 and 5, and Trebilcock had 6 and 6.

Scores by quarter:

Q1: Sixers 24, Mavs 30
Q2: Sixers 29, Mavs 19
Q3: Sixers 17, Mavs 18
Q4: Sixers 30, Mavs 18

Sixers won the boards 60 to 47 but had twice the turnovers and fewer steals. Sixers were 47.4% from the field to Eastern's 33.7%.

Statistically, it looks like Holmes was the lone hand for Eastern, but all contributed fairly well. The Mavs lost Brad Davis at around the halfway mark to a groin strain.

General comments: Holmes scored 25 of Eastern's 30 first-quarter points. Eastern looked to be playing much more as a team after a season together, compared to the Sixers playing largely scrimmages and adding players to the mix.

Sixers started Williams, Hawkes, Forman, Cooper, Rees. Ng was first off the bench. Puddifoot was the only Sixer not to get on the court.

Cooper was good on the boards but lacks range. Played quite aggressive defense on Holmes for a decent portion of the game.

Rees had a dunk and then a 3-point play in quick succession which had the crowd (and himself) laughing for a while.

Reply #3916 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Good game. What was the crowd figure? It was packed. My mate and I had to sit on some plastic chairs just to the right of the stand in front of the canteen.

Funny thing about Rees, just before the dunk my mate (who's new to ball, just a year in) said "Why we sign him, seems a bit of a has-been" and then "boom" the dunk comes right in front of us, followed by the three point play on Jacob.

So this was advertised on HoopsSA and where else? Stadiums. Imagine the crowd with some noise in the paper from Boti if it occurs again next year! Need a bigger venue I say.

Reply #3928 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think it was advertised anywhere else really. There were some posters up at Pasadena that I noticed after the game, but they were all text and headlined "Help Wanted". I'm not sure if that was calling for fans or volunteers.

The crowd was good and congratulations go to those organising the event. I feel that there's still progress that can be made in future years, but it was a good start -- the game was interesting, the crowd was half-decent (I think it could be packed, Arizona-game style next time though), etc.

I would like to see the Sixers help promote it. A friend sitting with me at the game is a long-time Sixer fan and season ticket holder, and the only way he heard about this game was both reading this site and hearing about it from Oscar or I. That's despite being on the Sixers contact list as a ticket holder, and reading the paper looking for basketball news.

Reply #3946 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Thanks for putting the stats up Isaac....I typed out the box scores this morning, only to do somethign really stupid, and lost the lot.

*Mental Note* Save as you go.....how many tiems do you have to lose sruff before you learn?

Reply #3947 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Yeah, thought it was a great sucess. Congratulations to everyone who made it happen.

Day two's crowd, (at least for the men) was a lot smaller. It really was too early to play (2pm) espically being on the other side of town to a lot of people. I drove all the way from Ingle Farm and along the way saw both Hillcrest and Mars being used, so I'm persuming the game clashed with district training keeping the crowd down.

The other problem it was too early if you went out the night before, (or stayed up to watch Lithuania v USA).

With some advertising next year I'd feel it could really be huge. Put posters up around stadiums, put it on the official site, (as bad as it is), in Boti's coloum etc, and like Issac said, maybe even mention it in the Sixer renewal packages, (offer tickets for $7 instead to season ticket holders).

Play it somewhere more central, (I'm sure every effort to play it somewhere central was made this year, maybe with more time next year it could be played at Wayville with extra seating or with enough interest the powerhouse).

Great idea. Still would like to know the crowd that attended.

Reply #3980 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Congrats must go to Dusan and his people for getting the weekend done.

Was a great concept, and I certainly had a ball there.

I am sure next seasons will be more planned out, and hopefully at Wayville or The Dome, somwehere that is more suited, and experienced, at handling a crowd.

And hopefully as well, without Olympics to compete with, the crowds will certainly improve.

Great to see Dusty and David Cooper there this afternoon, watching the Mens All Star and the Lightning vs Rockets Womens game.

Reply #3985 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

who won the game between lightning and rockets?

Reply #3994 | Report this post

Confused  
Years ago

Well done Isaac for the complete wrap up of the 6ers Vs Mavs.I attended the game and now know all the stats as well.What confuses me is the non-mention of Nathan Hawkes in your wrap up??Apart from mentioning that Nathan started(at least Phil and Steve must rate him),did you forget to put his stats up while covering the WHOLE squad??Confusing to say the least.I thought Hawkes was excellent,he seemed to be Phils choice of point guard and easily was played 30/35 minutes.Dont know what his actual stats were,but he controlled the 6ers tempo and offensive sets better than any other guard and wouldve had a number of assists to go with his handful of points.I feel sorry for Nathan,Boti refuses to acknowledge his existence and it seems so does Isaac.At least those in the know{Phil and Steve}give Nathan the chance he deserves.

Reply #4497 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sorry, wasn't intentional. He played the most minutes I think (then Forman and Darren?) for 9 points. He didn't make it into those I profiled for double-digit scoring, and then I left him out of the others -- as I said, by mistake.

Other people I talked to also thought he did well. If the 10th spot with the Sixers comes down to Hawkes, Bell or Williams, I'm glad I'm not the one making the decision. Jason had 7, 6 and 4 in less than half a game. Hawkes, as you said, was reliable and certainly played a good second half. I also thought that Christian Bell was pretty good too.

Reply #4501 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Hawks, Bell and Williams for the tenth spot? Damn I'll feel sorry for two of them.

Reply #4638 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:31 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754