Anonymous
Years ago

Drawing lines in sand

(Mod: Removed after legal notice.)

Topic #48125 | Report this topic

Sixers  
Years ago

"it seems that the 6ers are now staring down the abyss"

How so? Sixers win tonight and they are 3rd. Hardly the abyss. Even if they lose tonight they are still around the mark to make the playoffs.

You even mentioned about the owners talking about "building" a championship program. So they are doing exactly that with some key young players and now are about an import away from being really competitive.

I think you're letting your hate for the current owner get in the way of how things are going

Reply #833790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does it have to be hate? The fact that the 6'ers are even in the top 4 shows you how weak this competition is this season.

Reply #833792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or it shows the fact that the Sixers current ladder position is a reflection of them playing 90% of their games at home, where they receive a vast majority of favorable calls and shoot a ton more free throws than they do on the road. With so many road games in their future, you could say their current ladder position is nothing more than fools gold with a tinting of luck (the first NZ game, for example, got away with the no-call of Patterson being fouled and they gave him a turnover instead, leading to Slaon's huge shot and the OT win).

Reply #833799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't build Rome in a day. No one excepted the Sixers in finals this season, Humphries has been far better than anyone thought, they are playing competitive but still need a few pieces. After 6/8 rounds next season will be the judgement time.

Reply #833830 | Report this post

Jock  
Years ago

The exec, coaching and player regime is relatively new so it's way too early to be judgmental yet. A fair assessment will be made at the end of the season and I'm sure renewal of player contracts (for instance) will be on the high agenda!

Just need to keep the core, which is only DJ, Humpty and Dech and build a new team around them in the off-season. Also, let's see how Brandon Paul scrubs up.

Reply #833835 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm no fan of Grant Kelley especially after what he did to Mitch Creek which was shameful but this post to me reads of someone who has a score to settle like may have recently been fired by him. It just seems unduly harsh. We can all remember what it was like under SoS when no one wanted to buy the Sixers and it meant ultra-cheap rosters that resulted in wooden spoons, what we have now is infinitely better.

How successful or not his business interests are doesn't mean much to me I'm only concerned about the 36ers and his decisions that effect the team.

It would seem at some point he realised he doesn't know enough about the sport so sort help in running the team unfortunately that person he chose was JVG. Some decisions have been good like throwing money at Humphries and getting Giddey in others not so good like Sloan, Crocker, Kendle, Pinder.

Reply #833841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's the problem Zodiac...he does think he knows the game. Whenever owners try and talk basketball speak, it's cringeworthy. Seen it all before, they become fan boys instead of owners. Be an owner, act like an owner, and leave the basketball decisions to the people who understand basketball.

Reply #833849 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

This year the league has greater parity with only 2 imports allowed for a small town team like the 6ers to really "step over that line in the sand"

How does that logic work? That makes it all the more important to have a good Aussie contingent - and it makes it more expensive than hiring a cheaper third import to cover. The expensive teams hire the best aussies and keep the third import slot available for injuries, the cheaper teams use the third import slot to grab better talent. Take away that third import slot and you're diminishing that capability for a team like Adelaide that does not have depth

Reply #833856 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That's the problem Zodiac...he does think he knows the game. Whenever owners try and talk basketball speak, it's cringeworthy. Seen it all before, they become fan boys instead of owners. Be an owner, act like an owner, and leave the basketball decisions to the people who understand basketball.

I know they all think that five minutes after getting their feet under the desk they think they know what's what but I think he did the right thing in trying to get a basketball guy in to run the team for him just unfortunate it was a glorified door to door vacuum cleaner salesman like JVG.

The bringing back of Randle last season was a pretty poor decision too that I suspect was more ownership-driven and more about bums on seats than any sort of real basketball value, probably with the added incentive of knowing it would likely push Joey over the edge.

Reply #833863 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

I think this post is a personal agenda towards Grant Kelley and is somewhat hate towards the club and him. I understand the 36ers are not the top financial club, however, depending on the result tonight we may be placed into the top 4. Although they haven't won in previous years, its unfair to say "now staring down the abyss“ when the team have moved to a better venue, got some big named players like giddey, Isaac, Conger, Sloan ect. Some may of not worked out but I think this has to be a personal agenda towards Kelley as you have done some effort into finding out things about him. Maybe you should say it too his face instead of hiding behind an anonymous forum!!!

Reply #833932 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hey mate, i know you would be happy with that amazing performance by a top 4 team in the competition.... you spoke too soon lol.

Reply #834004 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Reply #834015 | Report this post

Dione92  
Years ago

Eggy on faece I think... big time....who won...oh yeah the team on the edge... think the dud dude just choked on humbly pie ... homemade style egg all over faece .. yuck Talk shit eat shit....

Reply #834017 | Report this post

Dione92  
Years ago

Eggy on faece I think... big time....who won...oh yeah the team on the edge... think the dud dude just choked on humbly pie ... homemade style egg all over faece .. yuck Talk shit eat shit....

Reply #834018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massive sour grapes and seems like a personal issue. I like the team this year. The players we let go Froling and Drmic are still playing the same and have not really stepped up at the Bullets while Dech is playing great and Giddey and Humphries are huge additions. Once Paul arrives we will be better again

Reply #834058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on. Insipid.

Reply #834672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dione - want a tissue? eggy is leaking down ur shirt.

Reply #834812 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

OP makes some really good points.

Grant Kelley finally got to have his own coach installed, after Joey's departure, only to get hoodwinked by JvG so clearly no due diligence was done - what an absolute fool of an owner to employ such a fraud.

He didn't get on the board of the Crows because, despite being an Adelaide boy and going to the right schools, he's spent most of his professional career in Singapore and South-East Asia (and now based in Sydney with Vicinity). So when he put his name up everyone went "who?" and moved on. How embarrassing, which also makes me think the Sixers is just a vanity project for him to gain exposure on his return to Australia.

On his business acumen the Sixers can't even sign a front jersey sponsor, as Holdfast is Kelley's personal investment vehicle, so nothing has changed since the previous ownership and it's essentially a tax deductible donation. Being a career CEO of an established listed company is way different to taking on a small to medium-sized business like an NBL club where you don't just walk into an already profitable environment. As everyone knows already he drove Creek away, there are other things that I've forgotten or not known to the public. So far all indications are that he is a dud.

Reply #834814 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:30 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754