Aussie
Years ago

NBL Cup crowds

Does anyone else think that the NBL Cup crowds are a real worry?

I don't think we expected many people to turn up at all to games that don't involve United or Phoenix, especially when they start at 5pm when people are either still at work or just finishing work.

But the crowds at United and Phoenix, that start at 7:30pm weekdays or on the weekend have been pretty poor.

Do you think it's still to do with the worry of Covid?

Or have people in Melbourne lost a bit of interest in the NBL?

I'm interested to get people's thoughts

Topic #48127 | Report this topic

robt  
Years ago

The people in Melbourne have flown the coup! They're in QLD, NSW, Tas, anywhere. After a year of, "You can't go here" and, "You can't go there", now that they can, they have.

Agree that it's surprising. Damn sure I'd be at every game, every day. Granted, as an age-disadvantaged (old) fan, I just can't afford to go at reg prices, This I can.

I still believe that collectively, Victorians are flat out sports mad.

On top of that, there really has a been a lot of interest in this year's teams' lists and here's a chance to see them all under differing game sits. AND, $180 for the lot. You (I) would spend more than that on 2 reg season games.

A question. When and why were the tickets reduced from $17 to the $10 it now is?

Is the "why", low pre-sales or some other reason??? Was there warning that crowds could be down?

Reply #834071 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'm surprised people think there would be big crowds to the NBL Cup. The crowds look pretty on par with what I was expecting.

To that extent, I don't believe for a moment any other city would get bigger crowds.

What are people expecting out of interest? I think ~2k would be reasonable without Vic clubs, 3-4k with Vic clubs. I like the $10 tickets, I like having NBL Cup on almost each day/evening.

Reply #834073 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I'm surprised people think there would be big crowds to the NBL Cup. The crowds look pretty on par with what I was expecting.

To that extent, I don't believe for a moment any other city would get bigger crowds.

What are people expecting out of interest? I think ~2k would be reasonable without Vic clubs, 3-4k with Vic clubs. I like the $10 tickets, I like having NBL Cup on almost each day/evening.

I just thought Phoenix would be getting more that 1080 odd at their games considering they are in the top 4.

United are on top and getting around 3800 to their games.

Is it 50% capacity at John Cain Arena? That would allow 5250 and be a sellout.

United averaged 8200 per game last season. Considering they are on top of the ladder, I would have thought they would easily be able to get 5250 per game

Just my opinion

Reply #834074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree KET.

Reply #834076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$10 a ticket. $6 booking fee. Stay home and watch it.

Reply #834077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barely 1000 people yesterday at SEM's game.

Reply #834079 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I always thought the cup was a dumb idea. Of course people aren't going to come out for teams they don't support! I just hope it's not financially wrecking anyone.

Reply #834080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowds look ok, even the tennis was well down on crowds. It's been a tough year and people are being careful with their money. The entry price is great but by the you eat and have a drink or two there is another 50/100 bills gone.

The games have been great. Mid week, sit home and watch it.

Reply #834081 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Always gonna be tough to get crowds to interstate teams, and the 5pm starts dont help.

Reply #834082 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think "normal" non-Cup Phoenix/United, particular United games, will get much higher crowds.

Perhaps NBL could have either 1) let Phoenix/Utd members in for free or 2) let them in at a stupidly cheap $5 a pop if they're looking for big crowds.

I suspect the crowd is made up of a mix of hardcore Phoenix/Utd fans and some interstarters who reside in Victoria, like myself, wanting to watch their team, and some who managed to hear about it and went screw it $10 is good.

Match that with 8 games - ie. i'm not going to all 8 36ers games, perhaps 2-3.
--

I'm not sure it's as crowd driven as people expect. I would suggest much to do with Government, making sure they get a good number of games played incase "shit goes down" again, helping to satisfy sponsors, and greater TV coverage/air time.

How viable is it? Anyone's idea.

I do view it as a good thing so far - although I'm not sure this could be held outside of Melbourne in future as I genuinely don't think you have any other city with "interstate expats" like Melbourne does, except perhaps Sydney, and Sydney people don't rockup to sports events unless it's State of Origin. That's not a knock on Perth or Adelaide or even Brisbane either - i'm sure they'd rock up to their teams' games but the other games would be dead empty. Better-off going NHL style on a non-windy day playing games beachside!

Reply #834086 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'll probably try and get to a Sixers game on one of the next couple of Saturdays to see Son of Wazza. No chance I'm going to a 5pm midweek game though

Reply #834087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Melbourne wants to call itself the sporting capital of Australia

Reply #834088 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Being a Wildcat fan living in Vic, i'm very happy it has happened here, as for the crowds, their is a fair bit of nervousness with Covid and the threat of a snap lockdown, or any type of lock down. People here in Vic just won't plan for anything, i know myself i am waiting until the day before the game before i buy a ticket in case the government hits the panic button. Their is also a % who are scared of catching covid, even though there is not much around.

I went to the city yesterday before the, game and what is usually a bustling city is a ghost town, many businesses shut down, offices are still running on skeleton staff, which has limited how many people are in the city, which stops people from going after work as would be the norm. Maybe it wasn't the best place for it, however somehow the NBL got the Vic gov to stump up money for it.

Reply #834090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"2) let them in at a stupidly cheap $5 a pop" Yep and a $6 booking fee.

Reply #834092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victorias are cooked mentally.
Simple as that.
Lockdowns will impact the people for a VERY long time

Reply #834097 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Aside from the obvious being gun shy due to the lockdowns/covid I believe these games aren't included in memberships and a lot people turn up to games they've already paid for otherwise they threw their money anyway so the incentive to pay to attend extra games and all the associated costs like car packing, travel, dinner somewhere, drinks etc would likely be having an impact too.

These NBL Cup games are being bankrolled at least in part by the Vic Gov so I would suggest any sort of crowds are probably a bonus.

Reply #834101 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Most people are working from home in terms of professional services which most city workers are. That has been the case since last March well before any lockdown.

Absolutely covid impacts crowds etc but as I said, COVID aside I didn't expect crowds to be that high regardless. If you’re paying $x big number for membership for 14 games why would you pay $y additional to go to another 8 games? I wouldn’t expect someone wants to go to 22 games of basketball in a year. Add the timing, midweek games, 5pm etc and why would we expect typical United and Phoenix crowds? For other teams, why would we expect much in the way of crowds anyway? How many interstaters are there and how many will go to more than a few games at best to see their club?

The NBL won’t have put this together expecting typical Utd/Phoenix games or crowds exceeding 2kish for interstate games.

FWIW I love all the extra basketball to watch on tv and the ability to go to a few games for $10 of my team. I think that along with other factors I have mentioned is the point.

Reply #834103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supposedly only 800 tickets left for Saturday

Reply #834104 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Actually pretty keen for SBC games - 20 minute drive down High Steet to go to the game? Yes please!

Reply #834105 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

And how would you compare the crowds in relation to a global event such as the Australian Open??

For the posters here who live outside melbourne you have to understand that melbourne city is not yet rebooted in terms of the volume of people making their way into city for work and play.

Given the large Participation numbers in the state for basketball it's very hard to get to mid week games at JCA when you have school training, rep training and games.

It’s made even harder to get to JCA when the AO still has exclusive use to the Car Park adjacent to the facility. The closest you can park is a 15min walk from Richmond.

Melbourne City aleague also played in the precinct last night. The crowd there was also woeful

IMO the NBL is doing as expected.

Reply #834109 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Counting these as regular season games should mean they count as Melbourne and SEM home games and their members should get in for free which would allow 6-8k people in for United games (not sure of SEM crowds), even if only 1/3 of those stick around or come early for the other game you have a decent crowd.

Big error by the NBL in my opinion not making these regular season home games. Makes interstate fans feel the Vic teams are being favoured, makes Vic fans feel they are being charged twice to see their teams.

Reply #834111 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Melbourne City always have awful crowds. They've been known to give away family tickets with a big mac meal. Hard to use that as a guide.

Reply #834112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can confirm as MU member that only two of the games are 'included as part of membership' and would still be required to purchase tickets to other MU games during NBL Cup.

It's bit of a kick in the face that we have received little to no value thus far as members. Even for NBL cup it's unassigned seating, so level of membership etc doesn't really attribute to much - just save 10 dollars and try get in presale for closer rows....

Reply #834117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on you Jeff, a bit common sense.

Reply #834119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As someone that lives in Melbourne, involved in VJBL and Big V along with other family commitments its near on impossible to get to games.

Work till 5pm in outer suburbs. Picking kids up from work. Trainings and games (domestic/rep etc). There is just not enough time to travel into the city for the NBL Cup.

This should have been held in the holidays, when kids don't have activities on every night and be in to be early before school the next day.

Reply #834120 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

You want to talk value for your membership, wildcats members have seen 2 games for their money, NZ none

Reply #834123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"When and why were the tickets reduced from $17 to the $10 it now is?"

NBL announced it on 19 Feb - last Friday (https://nbl.com.au/news/thank-you-victoria-10-tickets-for-fans-as-nbl-cup-tips-off-tomorrow). All ticket prices (except court side and corporate boxes) were reduced, not just the $17 seats.

As to why, NBL announcement says “as a thank you to the people of Victoria”. Seems to be a marketing ploy, rather than a real reason. Timing suggests it was probably slow advance ticket sales and wanting to have fewer empty seats on TV. Regardless, crowds are probably what you'd expect, as per reasons in posts above.

Reply #834124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Counting these as regular season games should mean they count as Melbourne and SEM home games and their members should get in for free"

Why? You paid for 14 home games. These games are over and above those 14 games.

"makes Vic fans feel they are being charged twice to see their teams."

You're not being charged twice at all.

Reply #834127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How's this, the door staff aren’t allowing anyone in if they have a laptop. So if you have come straight from work you can’t enter the stadium until you put your laptop somewhere, if you don’t have a car parked close or nearby office, you are left with no option but to leave.

Reply #834130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Masks are also quite frustrating, I'm more happy to wear one generally but for 2-4 hours in a row while cheering/talking/yelling/eating/drinking it is kinda frustrating and off putting. I’ve been to two NBL Cup days and this has been annoying for watching live sport.

Reply #834131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting to note that the price of a single can of beer ($10.70) is more expensive than a ticket. Bring on the state basketball centre games with $6 beers..

Reply #834132 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I wouldn't have expected high crowds at the NBL cup.

With games every couple of days for a month, no one's going to attend every game. Even the hardcore United or SEM fans wouldn't attend 3 games a week for 3 straight weeks.

Reply #834141 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Personally I haven't attended an NBL game since the 2019 GF

It's all about seasons of life, family commitments take priority these days.

But even the LV of 10 or 15 years ago, who attended every Tigers home game and even a couple of Dragons games when they entered the comp to support basketball, even that old LV wouldn't have gone to every game of the NBL cup. He probably would've attended 4 games over the 3 weeks. That's about the max anyone would attend, anyone who has any sort of life whatsoever!

So it makes sense that the United and SEM games will have hugely reduced crowds to normal. And if the games arent included in memberships, adds more weight to this reality.

And of course games involving non Melb teams will have tiny crowds.

I reckon in future years, have the NBL cup running concurrently in either Sydney/Illawarra and Melbourne, or Perth and Melbourne. Then switch some teams half way through the cup. But basically, the concept would be to increase the number of game nights with at least one true home team. Double header nights with 4 teams, and they should aim for 90% of the time, one of those 4 teams being from the host city. That would reduce the number of games with <1,000 ppl which does look terrible on TV and has zero atmosphere in the venue.

Reply #834144 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[He probably would've attended 4 games over the 3 weeks]

When I say 4 games, I mean 4 game nights. Which really makes it 8 games.

Attending a double header makes a big night. 2 NBL games is longer than an AFL game or any sport in this country except say Test Cricket or a 5 set tennis match.

Splitting the cup between 2 cities would obviously mean much bigger crowds across the board. With COVID they probably wanted everyone in one place, but in future years 2 cities is a no brainer IMO.

You could have the host teams play their "CUP" games in the last round of the regular season preceding the cup. So those teams wouldn't need to travel. So say, Sydney/Illawarra/Melb and SEM play double headers against each other immediately before the CUP. Then in the CUP, those teams stay put while Perth, Adelaide, Cairns, Brisbane and NZ are split- some of them starting in Melb then switching to Sydney, and the others vice versa.

Reply #834145 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Then in the CUP, those teams stay put while Perth, Adelaide, Cairns, Brisbane and NZ are split- some of them starting in Melb then switching to Sydney, and the others vice versa.]

This doesnt work exactly as I've written it, as those non-host teams still need to play the non-host teams from the other city. So there's a few logistics to work out. But they should look at this option.

Reply #834147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been to two doubles, it looks much worse on TV because the corporate boxes and courtside seats are very empty. Also at the stadium people have to leave some distance between each other and are happy to spread out. I don't know anyone in Melbourne keen to bunch up at the moment.

https://pasteboard.co/JPN9SHb.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/JPN9fcV.jpg

Not sure you could expect much more in a pandemic, other countries are shocked we have crowds at all

Reply #834158 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Anon #127
"Why? You paid for 14 home games. These games are over and above those 14 games."

My point is WHY are these games over and above the 14 home games they paid for? The games count towards the regular season and should therefore be a part of the 14 home game the Melbourne teams have.

Reply #834159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The cup is a terrible idea, we don't have to copy other leagues.
If they continued the regular season as normal they would have had 60% more people through the gates.

Would have been
Cairns cc 2/3 full
Perth rac almost full
Adelaide ec almost full
Bris na 2/3 full
Sem sbc 2/3 full
Melbourne jc 1/2 full
Illawara ws 2/3
Sydney qb 1/2
Nz -

Reply #834160 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Great pics, it gives those of us at home a better perspective.

The double headers coming up featuring no Melbourne team are going to be ugly though.

Reply #834161 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Perth rac almost full

Not quite - 50% capacity is allowed as per WA government.

Reply #834162 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

To the guy that said about no laptops. That might change tomorrow. The first 4 days, the event security have been Australian Open security which has been more strict than usual. Tomorrow regular security returns.

Reply #834185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My friend tried to bring a tablet for his toddler and they stopped him at the gate and refused entry because of courtsiding. Not sure how a phone is any different.

After a lot of arguing and going up the chain they kept it in an office for him.

Reply #834186 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It just goes to show how ridiculous the law is in regards to courtsiding. Hyper vigilant when it comes to tennis but for every other sport and racing it isn't really policed at all. Idiots.

Reply #834188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why can't the NBL people tell the AO security that these are the new rules? It can't be that difficult. Mind you we are talking about security personnel.

Reply #834189 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

By law courtsiding is illegal (ridiculous as it may be), so they can't tell the AO staff just to drop it all of a sudden. It really is a farce.

Reply #834190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"My point is WHY are these games over and above the 14 home games they paid for? The games count towards the regular season and should therefore be a part of the 14 home game the Melbourne teams have."

It's because it's a 36-game season with the plan for 14 home, 14 away, 8 NBL Cup. That means Melbourne and SE Melbourne will have 14 home games, actually hosted by them not the league, on top of these games.

Reply #834205 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Still an unfair advantage unless the league commits to moving the Cup to different cities each year.

Reply #834219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the last year has established that life isn't fair. The Vic Govt is putting money into it, that's a big factor. There has been some talk of holding an NBL Cup overseas in coming years, which could be as a pre-season tournament.

Reply #834225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even though the game is held in Melbourne/SEM's home city, it isn’t a home game. Everything else is neutral, there is no court announcer from the 'home’ side for example, no sponsorship promotion around the stadium for those teams, no merch stands for United/Phoenix (as far as I have seen so far).
Simply put, every team (apart from NZ) should have 14 home games plus 8 extra games during the NBL Cup. It is extra basketball for us as fans who generally say a 28 game season isn’t long enough. It’s an awesome initiative no matter where it is held.

Reply #834228 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Just home fans (if the rocked up), home rings (they aren'tstandardisedin NBL), home beds, home families, home practice facilities.

I just think that Vic fans wouldn't be so happy if all teams were in Perth for a cup because our owner owned the league and our government wanted to by them a title. Just a thought.

Reply #834229 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, ignore everything else and just the fact that they're sleeping in their own beds while everyone else is in hotels for at least a month is a huge edge.

United even got to open against Perth, who had already been on the road for a long time, instead of getting a team that'd traveled specifically for the Cup.

Reply #834230 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Yeah, ignore everything else and just the fact that they're sleeping in their own beds while everyone else is in hotels for at least a month is a huge edge.]

Yeah, and the results in the AFL and NRL with Richmond and the Storm really illustrated this point exceptionally well.

Wait a second!

Reply #834236 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Players families were allowed into the hub, they had whole resorts booked out, they played 1 game per week, 8 teams were able to have home games. Brisbane and Gold Coast weren't given bonus home games they were made to travel and play away.

Wait a second... Brisbane made a preliminary final

Reply #834239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yeah, and the results in the AFL and NRL with Richmond and the Storm really illustrated this point exceptionally well."

Well said.

Reply #834244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yeah, and the results in the AFL and NRL with Richmond and the Storm really illustrated this point exceptionally well."

I expect the NBL has a larger "home ground advantage" than either of those leagues. Last season, NBL home team won 63% of games played in the regular season. Since 2013-14 season, home team has won between 57% and 71% of regular season games. I don't follow AFL or NRL and don;t know the corresponding stats for those leagues.

For Melbourne and South East Melbourne specifically, last season SEM won twice as many games at home (6) as away (3). Melbourne won 50% more games at home (9) as away (6).

Reply #834253 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[I expect the NBL has a larger "home ground advantage" than either of those leagues. ]

Comparing apples and oranges.

There's 2 AFL venues with 4 or 5 host teams, and other venues with 2 host teams. So there's way more games than are essentially neutral

In interstate games, true home/away games, I suspect AFL would have a bigger home/away W/L discrepancy than NBL.

It's not the travel factor or the sleeping factor that gives teams a home advantage- it's the crowd. Look at this year's NBA Home and Away results for proof of that.

AFL has the added factor of different ground shapes, so for example a team like Geelong plays on a uniquely long and thin ground and no one else plays there, so Geelong is almost unbeatable down there.

Anyway, point is "Sleeping in your own bed" and travel are overrated factors.

Reply #834258 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Tell that to West Coast players whos careers on average multiple years shorter due to travel.
Easy to say its overated LV when your team are sleeping in their own beds, betting you are a Collingwood fan as well and think its a gruelling travel schedule to play on the Gold Coast once a year.

Reply #834273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only 25% of games played by interstate teams at NBL Cup are against the teams who are 'sleeping in their own beds'. The majority of games are an even playing field.

Reply #834276 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

The point I've been trying to make is that if these games count towards regular season they should count as SEM and Melbourne home games as they are at home. They shouldn't get 7 bonus home games because the Vic government bought a tournament.

7 teams are disadvantaged, 2 are heavily favoured.

Reply #834277 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Tell that to West Coast players whos careers on average multiple years shorter due to travel.
Easy to say its overated LV when your team are sleeping in their own beds, ]

West Coast travels what, 50-60,000 kms a year. Melbourne teams travel 15-30,000kms from memory.

West Coast players spend what, an average of 3 hours a week on a plane during the season? It's not that much. All NBA teams travel 2-3 times as many kms as West Coast. Yes, a less physically taxing sport and yes private jets but still, 3 hours a week is nothing.

From an equity perspective SEM and United huge advantage from NBL cup of course. It'll be in different cities in future years. If your city's government isn't interested though, don't blame the NBL, blame your government.

Reply #834278 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

No, I think I'll blame the NBL for making cup games count towards regular season.

And those numbers don't take into account time at airport, time in transit to and from airport, time in hotels.

NBA player are also paid crap loads more and its relatively equal across all teams.

Reply #834282 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

And I have said over and over that I have no issue with the cup or where it is, have it in Melbourne every year. But it shouldn't count towards regular season unless the it counts as home games for the home sides.

Reply #834284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the biggest impediment to crowds/bums on seats is the nature of the sport, as some poster alluded to earlier.

Everyone is playing so much in Melbourne. Domestic/Rep trainings and games dominate the average weekly family calendar. Mid-week games in Melbourne during the late Summer/autumn won't ever ever translate to big crowds.

It's a boutique TV sport which will get decent crowds for local derbies and big games.

I remember Wednesday night games between the Magic and the Newcastle Falcons at Flinders Park in the late 90s. The place was empty. Not much has changed.

Reply #834288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd on Friday night was 809.

Reply #834589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No, I think I'll blame the NBL for making cup games count towards regular season."

It's counting towards the regular season in case COVID restricts the number of games later in the season.

"West Coast players spend what, an average of 3 hours a week on a plane during the season? It's not that much."

You couldn't misunderstand what the demands of traveling for professional sport are any more if you tried.

Reply #834607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is wrong with you LV? Saying they "average 3 hours a week on a plane" is just deliberately ignorant.

Firstly, 3 hours a week is a gross understatement.

Secondly, you dont get to average something like that and pretend it doesnt have significant impact. When you fly from Perth to Auckland, then across to Brisbane to play 36 hours later, it has an impact. Or when you fly to Brisbane or Alice Springs and then onto Cairns, its still time that would be better spent elsewhere, especially as a pro athlete.

No other team faces the same gruelling road trips that Perth does. No complaints as a Perth fan because thats just the logistical facts but to downplay it as an average of 3 hours a week is plain stupid.

No one has ever blamed the NBL for this inequity, its obviously just one of those things that Perth has to face. But to pretend its not a huge hurdle to overcome is just being obvious to how professional Perth are at managing this situation. The good thing is that despite the disadvantage this travel situation puts Perth in they've still managed to overcome it five out of the past 7 years.

Reply #834615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#258 Perth's shortest road game is to Adelaide. Its 2 hours 45 mins flight time to Adelaide and 3 hours 25 mins upon return. How that equates to 3 hours is mind boggling.

Reply #834616 | Report this post

Numbers  
Years ago

The Cup is also a menace for historical stats.

If they're listed as neutral games, then you have a new category that isn't H/A.

If they're listed as home/away pending who is named first, then you have nonsensical results of Melbourne teams playing "away" games against non-Melbourne teams. Not even sure if they've ensured notionally that its 4H/4A anyway for the Cup.

(Perth have played home games in Singapore, Darwin, Bunbury and Kalgoorlie but given those were at the choice of the club, I have no issue with assigning them as home games)

Reply #834867 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

All cup games are definitely 'N', not H or A.

Reply #834884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because Richmond won the flag doesn't mean it wasn't more difficult for them being on the road all the time.

They're an elite team that has won many flags. Look at how the Eagles did when they were in the Queensland hub.

And look at how the breakers are going. It's not that easy being on the road for a long time

Reply #834932 | Report this post

Numbers  
Years ago

@Perthworld

Seems a simple approach - all Cup games considered Neutral.

Yet PER v SEM in Melbourne is hardly neutral, is it?

Reply #835202 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Not only that, but they've moved it away from John Cain Arena, which has hosted all NBL Cup games so far, to the State Basketball Centre, which is SEM's home court.

Reply #835227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John Cain Arena is SEM's main home court.

Reply #835243 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Any reason they're not playing games on Labour Day? They're doing 5pm tip off on weeknights but not taking advantage of a public holiday?

Reply #835245 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

@Numbers

Are your stats on a database or spreadsheet? I guess after all of these years adding a third variable may be a pain.

Reply #835271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good crowd in at SBC.

Reply #835311 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:56 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754