Jack Toft
Years ago

NZB v BNE Mar 3

NBL Cup action continues tonight after a short couple of days off to wipe the blood off the John Cain Arena after the Sixers/Breakers game. The Websters brothers being the best pair of brothers out of Kiwiland since Neil and Tum Funn picked up a guitar.
Brisbane with a demolition job on the Hawks and Taipans will be aiming for three in a row and are certainly hotter than a mud pool in Rotorua, into which they hope to cast the Breakers.
I'm thinking that the Breakers may have turned a corner and will be favouring themselves tonight.

Topic #48154 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

This will be a great test for NZ after dorking the Sixers.
Hopefully they can use the Adelaide game as a stepping stone to success.

My heart says Breakers but my head says Bullets.

Reply #835218 | Report this post

Knowall  
Years ago

Not sure the Barrett family would agree with you there Jack. FYI 3 of the Barrett boys from the naki played for the All Blacks.

Reply #835236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be fair, he said pair.

This one is too close to call. If the Breakers can slow down Sobey, they will win. But at the same time, can the Breakers negate Vic Law? Other players cancel each other out.

Reply #835242 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Vic Law could have a night out against breakers front court and the Webster's likewise against Brisbane.

Brisbane by 5.

Reply #835250 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ off to another hot start 11-2 with 6:30 left in the 1st

Reply #835270 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

4.03 to go and it's 22/2 to NZ

Reply #835272 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow 22-2 and it's not even quarter time.

Is it time for a Breakers BEAST MODE thread?

Reply #835273 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

27-12 at the end of the 1st quarter.
NZ were hot and Brisbane were a turnover machine.
Bullets settled with some fresh legs on the court in the last few minutes.

Reply #835276 | Report this post

Rompa Stompa  
Years ago

Brisbane looking god awful

Reply #835277 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers cooled off but resting starters.
Vic Law with 3 fouls already

Reply #835278 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Bullets fighting their way back in it as the foul count evens out and they stop turning the ball over.

Reply #835280 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Well done to Brisbane for putting up a fight, Connor Henry please watch how other teams actually try to recover from the initial flurry.

Reply #835281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Andrej has responded much better than Henry did by extending their defence and throwing a few traps. But the Breakers missed some open looks (Jesus what has happened to Weeks!?), some soft turnovers and soft fouls too. The good thing for Breakers fans was that earlier in the season those things would have killed them but they didn't lose their mojo and refocused in the last 3 minutes. This Breakers side is dangerous.

Reply #835283 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Would anyone like to defend Law? Anyone at all?

Reply #835286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Colton Iverson almost murdered Harry Froling.

Reply #835287 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Well shortened rotation with Loe & Patterson out.
Done well so far, especially the bench.

Reply #835288 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Not being disrespectful to Patterson but has Patterson's removal been a positive subtraction to the team?

Seem they trust each other and are willing to set each other up more.

If so should NZ let him go ASAP? I am not sure of the pay out rules where the player is an first year import of a new team but has played NBL previously.

Reply #835289 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Yes you get the cohesion with him out but they're running out of legs and fouls.

Reply #835290 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The coach's challenge is a joke.

Reply #835292 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Can't believe the changed the call

Reply #835293 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Big 3 from Sobey to cut the lead down to 5 with just under 2 to go

Reply #835294 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Lead is 6.

Reply #835295 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Bach with the massive 3. Damn what a pick up out of no where

Reply #835296 | Report this post

Truth Seeker  
Years ago

When dumbass Drmic is your smartest player yiu ain't winning many games

Reply #835297 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Those Bach daggers sure are timely and welcomed, and free throws too, more than I can say for Iverson.

Reply #835298 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers win two in a row.
Great composure to hold on as Brisbane threw everything at them.

Reply #835299 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Well done NZ.

And props to Brissie too for almost winning the next three quarters after a horrific first, they tied Q4.

Granted IH was injured but this is the resilience that the Sixers lacked.

Reply #835300 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Iverson was pretty banged around and had been pretty solid from the line.
Certainly kept the game interesting.

Bach was great both ends and put his hand up when Corey Webster fouled out.

Reply #835301 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

How much is Orlando Johnson loving the protection that Covid affords imports?

Reply #835302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good ole Brisbane, reliably disappointing.

Each time I watch their games it feels like Andrej is literally stepping out from the tv, wandering close to where I'm sitting, emitting a noticeable moderate fart, letting it waft then walking back in to the tv without acknowledging what's just happened.

Reply #835303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane has a great culture and Andrej is a good coach at this level. Most teams would have wilted, maybe not as bad as Adelaide, but it would have been game over. Bullets were not just resilient but super aggressive and confident late game. You can't ask for more than that.

As for the Breakers, I’ve said it from the beginning: Iverson is there to play a role and he is becoming more effective by the game, the Webster brothers are menacing, and Shamir is not the idiot some think he is. Breakers will push for a finals spot, no doubt.

Reply #835304 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Iverson - pricing me wrong

C Web - proving me right. Always said he should start and be focus of the offence.

Would like to see them get Sam timmins as a replacrnt for Loe. Problem us he is playing is estonia. So forget I just said that.

Reply #835305 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Proving

Reply #835306 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Timmons was very average in the NZNBL bubble despite his experience and pedigree.

Reply #835308 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Agree Mystro.

But Coach Simmons of the Bulls didn't do him any favours.

And I can't think of any nz big who is better?

And he has potential.

And I'd like to see a NZer out there.

And he can't be worse than Trist

Reply #835310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't ask for more than that?? How about not playing like garbage to start the game so you’re not chasing your tail to end it!!

Lemanis-coached teams have had this very problem for 5 seasons, one would think he’d learn from his mistakes and make changes for the better. He admitted previously it’s actually a strategy! Baffling. Just like the decision to keep Omar.

Reply #835312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's 3 teams in a row the Breakers have burned in the first quarter. They have some serious firepower. Brisbane did well to make it a game. The only other 2 teams I’d back to pull back the opposition after a start like that is United and Perth.

Reply #835313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timmons, Salt, heck even Smith-Milner! All of them could play 3-8 minutes a game and provide more than Trist. Salt even has a similar game to Iverson.

Reply #835314 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

You can't ask for more than that?? How about not playing like garbage to start the game so you're not chasing your tail to end it!!

Yes we can all agree they played awful during the 2-22 run.

But they deserve some credit for the way they clawed it back to within one scoring shot.

Fair enough if you want to just focus on the initial screw up.

Reply #835315 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Agree Mystro.

But Coach Simmons of the Bulls didn't do him any favours.

And I can't think of any nz big who is better? Salt is injured.

And he has potential.

And I'd like to see a NZer out there.

And he can't be worse than Trist

Reply #835317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shout out to Jarrad Weeks who finally realised that shooting is not what broke him into the league, but his athleticism and aggression attacking the rim. When he started to pass up his own shot, he created a dunk at the rim for Galloway, a 3 for Bach and got himself a layup. The team needs him to shoot less and do that more.

Reply #835328 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Spot on.

Reply #835330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason NZ are blowing teams out in the 1st is they aren't subbing. First sub tonight was 8 minutes into the game. Major firepower but its not sustainable. Why do people think Brisbane, SEM, Melb, Perth all don't have their strongest 5 starting. Gives them scoring when the bench come on. NZ are forced to do so because Patterson is out and going all out and see if teams can come back.

Reply #835351 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

I have liked Bach from early on. He gas a good shot. He started at one point but gave way to Corey. He deserves more court time and I'm sure his confidence would lift. One of the few good on ball defenders on the team.
Galloway is similar. V good outside shot and a presience defensively.
Finn is struggling with his shot and needs to get back in the low block to contribute.

Reply #835389 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Having your hands straight up is not the criteria for a foul. You have to be standing still and in the right place. Inversion foul that they reversed was ridiculous. That was a foul and referees shot themselves in the foot on that one.

Reply #835390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You might want to go and read the rules Tom. Nowhere does it say standing still is a requirement

Reply #835392 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Bigdog.

Why does it have to be a Kiwi?
I would rather the best available player and if it's someone who's already in Australia even better.
I would rather Dave Andersons leadership & experience over a Kiwi who's inexperienced at this level.

There aren't a ton of options unfortunately.

Reply #835402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heck, there's a great suggestion! Sign David Andersen! He's Melbourne based isn't he? He'd offer some locker room veteran presence, a cool head, and could easily give a highly intelligent 5-10 minutes!

Reply #835453 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

It would allow Galloway to play PF behind Delaney and he would be a great locker room presence.

Reply #835455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't really agree that you shouldn’t start your best players. Corey in particular should always start.

Reply #835482 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Mystro

It doesn't have to be a kiwi. Just my preference.

I've watched the breakers for many years take aussies over kiwis. And it rarely works out.

Rarely doesn't mean never. Burton, donaldson come to mind.

But it breaks my heart when guys like wetzell train with the breakers but go elsewhere.

Yes anderson an option. Not one I'd go for. Karena will become available soon. Miller smith. Pledger. I can't think of anymore.

Reply #835484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've watched the breakers for many years...

....Burton, donaldson

Yep, you sound like a massive fan!

Reply #835485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree the Breakers should sign Kiwis wherever possible, but there is a thing called a salary cap and they can't afford all the best kiwi players. I don’t think they could not afford Wetzell this season.

Reply #835487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ that was meant to say I don't think they could afford Wetzell... lol

Reply #835488 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Auto correct my friend

Reply #835495 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Yeah finances come into it.

Get that. If they couldn't afford him in the offseason they won't afford him now.

Reply #835497 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Adam Darragh, Ben Thompson, Ryan kersten

Breakers from years gone by who should never have been breakers, but made the team bc mgmt weren't prepared to back kiwis

Reply #835498 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Yeah but it isn't the National team, it’s a pro franchise who can select who they like, they just play out of NZ (pre Covid).
I’ve been a fan since the day it was announced they would exist and have been watching every season since.
They have always had the creme of the NZ National team on the roster so there’s plenty of locals to support.
You wanted them to sign Ethan Rausbatch to the last roster spot instead of Bach because he’s a kiwi.
Look how much better Bach is. There’s a pretty large gulf between them in talent and ability.
Not knocking Rausbatch as I also like him as a player and person but I’m all for taking the best player available.

Reply #835506 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Yes but all things being equal I'd prefer a kiwi.

I can't recall if I wanted them to sign rusbatch over bach, but it sounds like me, so I won't dispute it. Is Bach that much better? I'm not sure he is. Rusbatch played well internationally and never got a chance with the breakers. Anyway I don't mind Bach.

One thing I do recall is I was critical of vodanavich playing centre last year over majok. So it's not as though I think it is kiwi everytime.

I'm not saying don't sign an Aussie. I'm saying just don't assume bc he is an Aussie he's better, and look in your own backyard first.

Reply #835514 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Fair call.

I think a lot of Coaches in the NBL give kiwis plenty of opportunity outside of the Breakers.

Mike Kelly has stuck by Jarrad Kenny and added Jordan Ngati. Vodanovich found a spot at Sydney and has been contributing and rewarded with a couple of starts. Vickerman happily poaches from NZ and Flavell's an assistant at SE Melbourne.

It used to be a lot different 15-20 years ago but the standard of basketball in NZ has risen and with it the opportunities.

Is Tai Wynyard even playing anywhere?
Was a DP with Cairns a season or two ago and has been battling injury ever since Kentucky.

Is Salt still injured?
That was quite some time ago he pulled out of the NZNBL bubble tournament.

Reply #835525 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

I was thinking about Wynyard. I'm not sure where he is at. He looked out of shape in the lockdown. But his footwork and touch was great. He'd possibly only give you a minute and a half in the anbl with the shape he was in. He was rated up there with humphries at one stage.

Salt is injured still

Yep both melbourne teams and cairns run with kiwis.

Reply #835530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wynyard never recovered from that back injury. He's still got great skills but physically he isn’t in the shape he needs to be in to play at this level. A real shame and someone who would have benefited from being a next star rather than heading to College.

Reply #835547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bach is a much better defender and rebounder than Rusbatch. In terms of shooting, they're just as deadly. Bach is also pretty bouncy, he can get up. It’s no surprise, then, that the Breakers chose him over Rusbatch.

Galloway is also an excellent long term signing.

Trist, however, should be let go. Any of those Kiwis or Andersen or even Alex Pledger!

Reply #835548 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Galloway took Loe's place on the playing roster I believe.

Be nice to replace Trist with someone capable of contributing more but I'm not sure Shamir would necessarily play them. He seems to like shorter rotations than Lemanis, Vickerman or Henare who would pretty much play everyone at some point.

Playing extended minutes has Iverson looking pretty sharp after looking terrible in his first few games and Delaney has also been playing big minutes but looks to be enjoying it.

Reply #835599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still can't get over the fact they signed Trist when Vodanovich was right there.

Reply #835615 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Vodanovich had his opportunity and stuffed it up by misbehaving on the plane when returning from Perth and reportedly struggled with some of the plays in training.
Glad he's getting another chance with Sydney and likewise for Jordan Ngatai.

Reply #835616 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:16 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754