Jack Toft
Years ago

NZB v MEL Mar 5

Both teams are carrying form into this game. New Zealand with a couple of great wuns, United just doing enough to get the W. One team goes home with the chocolates and a tuck into bed, the other goes home disappointed tonight, but might get a video call from Jacinta who will sing them a lullaby. I'm expecting a high scoring game, but NZ need an extra Webster to make a difference, however, history tells us that the third brother is a copy of a copy, just ask Teddy Kennedy, or Trevor Chappell - can we mention his name front of Kiwis yet?

Topic #48167 | Report this topic

Alexis  
Years ago

Hi, Goulding and White will play ?

Reply #835595 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

Goulding maybe but White is out for the rest of the month.

Reply #835596 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Hard to call, Webster brothers are balling but Hopson & Landale aren't exactly slouch's either.
Should be a great game regardless of result.

Reply #835597 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Corey, Goulding similar players. Both outrageous. Both match winners on their day. Best support might decide.
Get Finn in the Lo block.

Reply #835600 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United to keep doing just enough to win.

Reply #835606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How I would love to see the Breakers win this... Can't see it happening though, especially with Goulding back.

Reply #835613 | Report this post

millhouse13  
Years ago

I predict the Refs to keep united on course for the win

Reply #835623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Breakers will struggle here, would love to see them get the W. But Melbourne are the top team for a reason.

I think Jo coming off the bench will be a big problem for breakers, Galloway has been doing well but big Jo is a presence.

Poor Galloway also has to go up against one of the best bench centre's tonight then play the Taipans next and match up against Jawai.

C Webster and Goulding should be a good matchup. As will Abercrombie and Hopson, I'm sure both will have a point to prove to each other

Reply #835624 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

With home advantage have to pick United in this one.

Reply #835625 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Melbourne is the away team

Reply #835626 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Not really the game is in Victoria.

Reply #835627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be interesting how often Vickerman will yell BABA and if BABA can actually wear Webster down. Given the way the Breakers use the on-ball, BABA might be bashed by Iverson screens. Iverson I think is also smart enough to match up well with Landale. And there is where this match will be decided: can Iverson stay out of foul trouble and play 25-30 quality minutes? Many of the other players will cancel each other out.

Reply #835628 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Jo & Jock have to guard Iverson at the other end as well.

Reply #835629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be interesting how often Vickerman will yell

I'd say the full 40 minutes.

Reply #835630 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

The Webster brothers will try too much hero ball when it matters, United to win.

Reply #835644 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

As a duo the Websters assist and rebounding numbers have been pretty good the past couple of games.
Not so much hero ball but as the teams 2x best scorers it's often their responsibility to put the offense on their backs and make something happen.
When Brisbane came back, the Websters for the most part had all the answers.

Reply #835648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding confirmed out tonight, subject to fitness test for Sunday

Reply #835660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Melbourne is the away team"

LOL

Reply #835663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too much hero ball? Websters are the Breakers best players (by far) and main scorers. They're literally doing their job and doing it well, Honesty....

Reply #835665 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Years ago

Hope the Webster brothers both drop 40 and the Breakers keep the win streak alive but I don't see it happening. Melbourne by 10.

Reply #835667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne are a team with multiple guards that can matchup on the Webster's defensively: McCarron, Ili, Baba and Hopson I imagine will all see time on the Webster’s. But Abercrombie is becoming more aggressive and Delany is well overdue, so if the Breakers can get 12-15 from those two the Breakers could get the W.

Heart says the Breakers to win by 5 because that would be a result that makes the league very interesting over the next few rounds. But head says Melbourne by 5 in a close won.

Reply #835672 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Tai's eyes will light up with Shea on him, he'll look to post him up or just shoot over him.
I would expect Ili to get Corey and McCarron to guard Tai.

So many good match ups in this one. Hopefully both teams are ready to go from tip off and the refs let them play.

Reply #835676 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Tai has already shown he's not the sharpest mind out there with a suspect shot not sure United would need to waste Ili by playing him on Tai he should be put on Corey he's the Breakers biggest weapon and him possibly going off is there only real chance of victory.

I think it's fair to say we're all Kiwi's tonight, go Breakers!

Reply #835677 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Too much hero ball? Websters are the Breakers best players (by far) and main scorers. They're literally doing their job and doing it well, Honesty...."

They barely used Patterson before he got injured, yeah they are easily their best players, but take a look at Cotton who is easily the Cats best player, but gets his teammates involved way more than what the Websters do. Tai has good assist numbers, but I'd wonder how many of those go to Corey?

Reply #835680 | Report this post

Ouch  
Years ago

Are Corey and Tai related? Commentary team have not mentioned it...

Reply #835713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shamir looks like he's dressed for Friday arvo drinks at an advertising agency.

Reply #835714 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Years ago

11 out of the 16 shots in the first quarter by the Webster's, they’d be real fun to play with...

Reply #835715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Jenni Screen really Brad Rosen wearing a wig? Never takes a breath.

Reply #835716 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Screen isn't involved with this game?

Reply #835720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Breakers have shot very poorly and are equal. If they can get together some fluency they will win (although Melbourne's extended disruptive defence is stopping that right now). For Melbourne, Landale isn’t denting the Breakers like I expected (yet).

Reply #835721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kr whoever it is sucks

Reply #835731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good game, nz like Sydney run all their offence through two players, hard to win games like that. Hopson looks like done a calf, not to worry though Goulding back next game. Perth if they get an import when Cotton naturalises are onl side that can stop United.

Reply #835733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne are just so deep, especially defensively they can apply so much pressure for so long and in the 4th quarter we saw the Breakers finally wilt with some defensive lapses and struggle for rhythm offensively.

Tai Webster is unstoppable. Only the referees could guard him.

Corey Webster's knee injury meant he looked uncomfortable out there.

Breakers are tough and they will make a run at the playoffs. But will they leave it too late?

Mason Peatling won United the game with timely put backs to keep them ticking over.

I’m not 100% convinced Melbourne will take the title. Perth are a step ahead, still, I think.

Reply #835735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne are just so deep, especially defensively they can apply so much pressure for so long and in the 4th quarter we saw the Breakers finally wilt with some defensive lapses and struggle for rhythm offensively.

Tai Webster is unstoppable. Only the referees could guard him.

Corey Webster's knee injury meant he looked uncomfortable out there.

Breakers are tough and they will make a run at the playoffs. But will they leave it too late?

Mason Peatling won United the game with timely put backs to keep them ticking over.

I’m not 100% convinced Melbourne will take the title. Perth are a step ahead, still, I think.

Reply #835736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth couldn't stop Brisbane.
"Perth if they get an import when Cotton naturalises are onl side that can stop United." Yet again more dribble. How can they even afford an import ffs.

Reply #835737 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Breakers went alright.

Reply #835739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pretty sure perth can afford another import

Reply #835742 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The NBL Cup winnings will help with that. Thanks Larry.

Reply #835744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet again paying over the cap and over the odds. Perth with a * yet again.

Reply #835747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet again some idiot tries to make a point without making one. Yet again, Perth can spend as much as they like as there is no cap.

If you've been around this league a long time and yet again think a winning culture deserves an * then yet again you have shown to be an ignorant fool.

Reply #835748 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Landale was awesome. Efficient, high IQ player who does a bit of everything. Right there alongside Cotton in MVP considerations at this point.

McCarron has been the glue holding the team together.

Tai Webster is a handful, without foul trouble could've been a different result.

Reply #835749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tai smashing a drink on the bench was a sight to see. Have seen him play live 4 times during this NBL Cup. Such a fun player to watch, and has given up the burgers in three of those games. He could have 40+ a few times if he did not have the yips at the line. His presence, despite what many say, is good for the NBL. Such a great scorer.

Reply #835751 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

High quality game. Tai Webster when he's in that groove is impossible to stop. I liked his ability to consistently play off the pick and either create or hit the shot. United through everything at him but still to no avail.

Agreed LV, Landale was super impressive. Aggressive on defensive, runs the floor, ability to hit the three and damaging on the pick. He and McCarron are developing a great understanding. Hopefully Hopson pulls up okay as it seems he’s finally getting comfortable with the new role.

Reply #835756 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Good effort Breakers. Not quite at Melbourne level. Mid pack, few upsets tp look forward to.

Reply #835767 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

What about Patterson? I constantly read of injuries to players and how that's affecting their teams' results. But not for Patterson and the Breakers. The word seems to be "Shhhhh!"

He turns up out of shape, shows that he is dis-interested on game nights, then turns it on in the latter part of games, then gets injured and everyone closes down on his future. Not a word.

Any news / rumours?

Reply #835771 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

On the other hand, ex-Breaker Hopson, after a shaky start too, is, at last, getting back to what he showed last year.

Reply #835772 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The difference is that in all other cases, the player's return from injury is seen as a good thing for the team he's returning to.

Reply #835773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron playing the very well, he's a quality player.

Reply #835778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Similar talk happened about Hopson last year and whether they would be better leaving him out when he returned. But he returned and took them to another level. Similar will probably happen this year. But you cannot help but think that the Breakers need a 4/5 rather than a 2/3.

Reply #835793 | Report this post

Jack L99  
Years ago

Hopson out for 3 weeks with groin strain

Reply #835802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucky Goulding is back Sunday

Reply #835806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who else can united get as a injury replacement

Reply #835808 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:47 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754