koberulz
Years ago

"The Next Stars" doco is actually pretty disappointing

Firstly, put yourself in the shoes of someone who's unfamiliar with the program, the league, etc. Why are they called Next Stars? Dunno. There's no discussion at all about what the program does, or how it works, what its aims are, etc.

Secondly, it obviously has to deal with the fact that its two biggest stars left mid-season. It does this by acknowledging that they left mid-season and bringing the entire documentary to a screeching halt. Draft day, roll credits, end of doco.

Terry Armstrong gets a lengthy segment covering his pre-season injury, and his return to play his first game, and is then never mentioned again. What happened to him? People have been asking that question since the middle of last season, and no answers are coming it would seem.

We get a couple of brief glimpses of Hampton being unhappy with Shamir's coaching, with his minutes, with his role, etc but it never really goes into any detail.

We also never get any post-draft thoughts from the Hamptons. They seem to have just fucked off completely as soon as he left NZ. Zero analysis is done of why he dropped.

Some of the footage of RJ with his family is worthwhile, but it's really mostly just game highlights and some interviews, a 90-minute version of the halftime puff pieces they generally do, asking no hard-hitting questions of anyone and barely scratching the surface of what went on with any of the four players.

Topic #48195 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where can we watch this?

Reply #836250 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I haven't watched it.

Would it make any prospective players want to come to the NBL to play

Reply #836251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did anyone watch this?

Reply #836256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nba wouldn't have allowed them to film past the draft etc. nba employees from that point on and that’s that.

Reply #836257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It its Trash!

Reply #836261 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Of course the message would be all positive, the touchy bits left out. It was made by, or at least greatly funded by, the owner of the subject of the doco. It's a promo-doco. What did you expect?

This is not a criticism, on my part. Just saying that it is what it is.

Reply #836266 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah I don't know why someone would pay money to go watch a self promotion for the league.

Reply #836267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its weird ow people pay for themselves to be filmed/photographed for these "doco's" or even insta for that matter.

we live in strange self centered times indeed.

Reply #836268 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

It's on at Hoyts.

I watched it and the term 'documentary ' is misleading as it has no unbiased opinion or vocal opposition like a documentary should. It's a promo piece that never wants to dive into the negatives.

Like KobeRulz said, the never delved into Hamptons/Shamir coaching. They didn't go into Illawarras horrible record. They didn't say what the criteria is and why Didi is a next star.

They also didn't go into the league as a whole and talk about how it is growing and how competitive it can be (could of put in about United and Perth pushing the NBA teams in the preseason games).

They also played a heap of didn't semi finals games...then cut to Liam Santa saying ' oh and they lost the final" no clips of finals games or thoughts from Didi on the disappointment.

It was a puff piece that I think NBL fans will roll their eyes at and non fans won't bother with.

Reply #836275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I watched it and the term 'documentary ' is misleading as it has no unbiased opinion or vocal opposition like a documentary should. It's a promo piece that never wants to dive into the negatives."

I agree that this is how a documentary should be, but the majority of them these days are biased, subjective and target a stance that's favourable to the group funding the project. No different here, this would be the NBL's subjective view of Next Stars and would have no negatives due to increasing the chance that more players choose this format to jumpstart their careers.

Reply #836278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great tax incentives for creating movies/ documentaries in Australia

Look what Erebus did in V8's , it’s just business and the actual art component is of no consequence

Reply #836279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to pay at hoyts to watch something about NBL players? Da fuq

Reply #836281 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

There's a reason you don't see docos funded by Rio Tinto on the mining industry. They make videos, sure, but nobody tries to pretend they're an actual docos. Its marketing. And getting people to go to a cinema to pay for it is laughable.

Reply #836283 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Produced by "LK Documentary"...

Reply #836285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it's so bad, perhaps JK had more to do with it ;)

Reply #836296 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It was pretty much what I expected. I got to see the NBL on the big screen and it made the league look pretty good. It was a puff piece. There were no dissenting view points raised. I didn't necessarily learn anything I didn't already know. But did I enjoy it? Yes. It was the so-called "documentary" equivalent of a mindless pop-corn flick. Expect to see a highlights video that's a bit light on the facts. I've spent $15 in worse ways...

Reply #836300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this was basically what the Newmans do on snapchat every other week but on the big screen

Reply #836309 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

This struck me as a very strange idea. Who is the audience? Hardcore NBL fans itching to see the league on the big screen?

Reply #836323 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No different here, this would be the NBL's subjective view of Next Stars and would have no negatives due to increasing the chance that more players choose this format to jumpstart their careers.
Three of the four Next Stars were failures. Four of four if you take LaMelo's desire to be the top pick seriously.

Hampton started in the top ten, and went well outside the lottery.
Louzada got stashed for another year.
Armstrong...seriously, has anyone heard from this guy since round five last year?

There is zero analysis of this. No acknowledgement of Armstrong at all - frankly I don't think anyone would have noticed if they'd cut him from the documentary entirely and it would have made for a far better film - and no looking at what factors led Hampton to slide so far. Issues with coaching? Fit on the roster? Expectations of scouts? Was he overrated out of high school? Did he need to adjust to being a completely different type of player in order to make it to the NBA, or is that just want NZ wanted of him? If the former, would he have struggled just as much had he stayed in the States?

Who's on the Pelicans roster? Is it just a matter of the opportunities not being there due to existing players? Does Louzada need to work on something specific? What did the Pelicans think of his first NBL season?

None of this is discussed, at all. If I'm a player thinking about the Next Stars program, this film tells me nothing about it except that it's unlikely to help me.

I know the rules have been a bit shady, and we were unlikely to get any clarity on that, but there wasn't even a quick "so this is what the Next Stars program is" section. They never went into the league paying salaries, or the process of team selection. They never covered anything the clubs or league might be doing to help with recruitment and drafting, any off-court preparation for the NBA or networking with NBA clubs. They played up the Kupchak thing so much it comes across as "the NBA had one representative here for one game once and that happened to be a good game so LaMelo got drafted", as though Hampton and Armstrong were never seen by scouts at all, and LaMelo wasn't seen outside that one game.

There are any of a number of goals this documentary could have had, but it achieves none of them.

Reply #836326 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I love the NBL, I spend more time watching / following the NBL than I do NBA.

I would pay to watch NBL in a cinema if it were a novel thing like a Grand Final live game.

I would even pay to watch an NBL documentary in a cinema if the documentary were interesting like the history of the NBL covering the meteoric rise of the late 80's and 90's followed by the dark ages where teams were going bust almost yearly and most teams are making losses on losses, to the LK 'golden' era.

I would not pay to watch Next Stars, this is even before Kobe's review.

The topic of the doco is Next Stars which is a small part of NBL.

NONE of the features Next Stars made a significant impact on the league during their tenure.

Ball was ROTY and put up some incredible performances / highlights and is now likely for NBA ROTY. That alone does not cover the fact he played half the season and the Hawks were just as bad whether he played or not.

Hampton is similar playing half the season and so-so performances.

Louzada made the Grand Finals but didn't feature highly in the games and was probably one of the guys who voted for forfeiting the remainder GF games.

Armstrong - He and SEM are such an indictment of the program that I would have structured the whole doco around the 'three' Next Stars of 2019/20.

Reply #836329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would actually watch it if it showed the "failures" of the program (Armstrong) instead of just being a promotional puff piece for the league.

Reply #836340 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Teams are losing just as much today as they were in the dark ages.

Reply #836395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To those people saying they would've preferred more Terry Armstrong, come on this is produced by the NBL it is supposed to promote the successes not focus on the failures

You are naive if you think the NBL would produce a doco that made it look bad

Reply #836415 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

People have to remember that LaMelo wasn't a first round prospect before he came to the NBL and his main draw was just his social media following. He went from second round prospect to top three in the NBL.

But yes, the program failed Terry Armstrong, may have hamstrung RJ Hampton, and Diddi Louzada is basically an import for all intents and purposes with nothing suggesting he's going to the NBA any time soon.

Two of the four next stars last year ended up in the NBA, and of this year's crop, Giddey will and there are question marks for Jessup and Mojave King.

So Next Stars is a mixed bag. LaMelo and RJ could have easily picked the wrong college team and slipped out of the draft also. RJ could have easily picked a different NBL team and have ranked higher. But some of this also comes down to the players too. The NBL gives these kids an opportunity, and it is up to them to take it and make the most of it. LaMelo did, but scouts weren't quite as sold on RJ.

At least RJ got minutes and the opportunity. That's all you can really ask for. Terry Armstrong didn't even play garbage minutes. Next Stars absolutely was a waste of time for that kid. Phoenix should never have taken him on if they didn't think they could put him on the court.

Reply #836418 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They could have either completely ignored him, or acknowledged whatever the hell went on even if they didn't dive into it. They did neither, which just looks weird. He's featured as prominently as the other three in the first 20 minutes and is then suddenly never mentioned again, until the "where are they now" thing where it mentions he went undrafted.

At one point early on, it shows a newspaper headline about the NBL signing a deal with Facebook. This is not explained, at all. It's never mentioned by anyone in the interviews, and the clipping shown on the screen doesn't allow any of the text of the article to be read. It's not even mentioned in the segment on the Ball-vs-Hampton game, which thanks to that deal was watched by millions of Americans. That fact goes completely ignored, so even as a promotional puff piece it's a horrible failure.

Reply #836419 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think maybe you went in expecting too much, Kobe. I didn't expect much at all and walked away reasonably satisfied. As I said, it's mindless pop corn movie equivalent of a documentary.

Reply #836421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm interested to see it, even with low expectations. It's not every week you can go to the cinema to see something NBL related. How much are movie tickets these days

Reply #836422 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Who were previous Next Stars? Ferguson and Bowen? Ferguson has carved out a small role, but I haven't seen anything from Bowen, I'm assuming they don't even touch on these previous guys?

Reply #836461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ferguson deal was who LK ripped the idea off of. He was an import not a Next Star.

Reply #836466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There were several before Ferguson that were draft and stash guys, or chose the NBL as their first pro contract.

Reply #836469 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Ferguson skipped college to go pro straight out of high school.

Reply #836553 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:34 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754