Jack Toft
Years ago

Breakers v United Mar 25

NBL Thursday is back, in Downtown Bendigo. It's the city where more gold has been extracted than any other Australian city and both teams will be going for gold tonight. It's a Breakers home game and they have been away on the West Island for so long, they are starting to each other Cobber and putting vegemite on their toast. No more Jandals for the boys either.

United seem to be back after having 4 wheels fall off, one by one, they have come back strongly after a solid win over the Hawks. I think its fair to say they have sharpened their pencil and now they're looking for something to scribble on.

Obviously Goulding and Tai Webster are the scoring power houses for both teams, but Landale is writing cheques his body can cash as well. At the end of the day, the Breakers might be missing their fush and chups, but this is United's game to lose.

Topic #48265 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Larry up to his old tricks, just helping United get home games by making NZ camp in Australia for 6 months

United to win this one

Reply #838788 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

United by 12.

Reply #838790 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I had to laugh - on the Breakers website match preview it states the game is airing in NZ on Sky Sport 8 - literally The Ocho.

Reply #838792 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Another tough game for the Breakers while they wait out for reinforcements to come through Quarantine.

Melbourne by 15.

Reply #838798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers fan here, will watch and cheer for them but I think United too strong here.

Reply #838801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The West Island, I'd be happy with that. Melbourne by 15.

Reply #838803 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Is Randolph ready to play?

Reply #838815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Levi Randolph not available until 4th April due to quarantine. Will McDowell-White available 29th March.

So a couple of weeks yet, also this is just their availability, there are not guaranteed to be starting etc.

Reply #838821 | Report this post

Kas  
Years ago

Will there be anyone at this game??

Reply #838831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably somewhere between 1500 and 2K I'd suggest. Bendigo love their hoops

Reply #838832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's a Breakers home game"

It's another United home game, I don’t care what the NBL calls it. The breakers have no home games this season.

Anyway, United by 15+. Breakers seriously undermanned.

Reply #838860 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The NBL are even calling the derby between Phoenix and United a Phoenix home game despite the fact it's being played at United's home court not SEM's.

Reply #838861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^its like they're not even trying to hide the bias anymore.

Reply #838862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does this mean NZB get the profit from the ticket sales etc?

Reply #838865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would hope so.

Reply #838868 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Only an imbicile would call a game in Victoria a home game for NZ.

Reply #838871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac SEM can get more spectators under COVID restrictions at John Cain than they can at SBC you moron. Its called maximising your opportunities. Gee some people are blind dumb.

Reply #838873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's home game is it at the Silverdome then?

Reply #838874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When Tai Webster is a distributor first and a scorer second the Breakers look much, much better.

Reply #838881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale is seriously overrated & one of the worst defenders I've ever seen.

Reply #838882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne has a great defensive backcourt, but you know their front court is weak when the Breakers are going to town down low.

Reply #838883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, Landale with out White covering holes has looked suspect defensively. Landale offensively he very good, I'm not seeing nba though.

Reply #838884 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Colton Iverson is probably my favourite player to watch this season. He's a throwback; a reminder of what basketball was when I fell in love with it

Reply #838886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abercrombie's been an elite athlete in this league and always a good defender, but there’s been times this season where he has been incredible. Goulding is locked down.

Reply #838887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron is not a point guard.

Reply #838888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let the ball go through hands and United struggle defensively. Again games are not won by names on paper.

Reply #838891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne won't win the title if McCarron is the point guard. He doesn’t have the instincts for it.

Reply #838892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Breakers continue to control the glass (never happens) and keep turnovers low (never happens) Melbourne is getting blown out.

Reply #838893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think White was making Landale look very good.

Reply #838894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a big fan of Iverson. He’s a big reason Corey Webster was so efficient offensively prior to going down. But the refs aren’t a fan of him. And unlike Brandon Ashley, I don’t think it’s a case of him not adjusting. Our refs are just terrible at reffing big, strong men.

Reply #838895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait for LV to ruin this thread later on with his excuses

Reply #838896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sub Landale off.

Reply #838897 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I don't know who's luckier?

Breakers who get to play a struggling United at this moment in time.

Or is it United for facing an undermanned Breakers who are waiting for reinforcements - imagine this performance and the blowout that would ensue against a stronger side.

Reply #838898 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

And to think we've been lectured during the past week on how lucky the Wildcats have been.

Reply #838899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz stopped passing the ball missed easy shots and Iverson in foul trouble opened the door.

Reply #838900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV will also not mention that crazy phantom call on iverson

Reply #838901 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

What a BS call on Iverson. But his fault for the tech.

Reply #838902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And without fail a terrible call on Iverson and the tech to probably end the Breakers night. Does anyone else get frustrated the way these guys get called? Jawai's good for a few fouls every round because someone tiny runs into him and comes off worse.

Reply #838903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No home cooking here. United doing well to have a 5-0 foul count on the road.

Reply #838904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Breakers should just go home and end their season. It's a tough night with the calls but it’s been like that every game. Refs are very petty towards them while Vickerman and Goulding moan with impunity.

Reply #838905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is lv doing a timestamp of all the fouls United are getting here? We all know he's not biased....

Reply #838906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did they just call an offensive foul call on a catch!?

Reply #838907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saying he pulled the shirt, Webster has done nothing but dribble the ball in the second half and cost nz big time,

Reply #838908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So landale didn't travel??? Hmm

Reply #838909 | Report this post

Ray p  
Years ago

Sad when refs have so much influence on the game.

Reply #838910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta feel for the Breakers. Refs did them in. I don't agree with Webster over dribbling. Melbourne got mega physical which disrupted the Breakers getting into their sets. A lot of hand checking and holding.

Reply #838911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trist does great on Landale and Webster jumps in the air to let Ili get a lay up. Webster is horrible.

Reply #838912 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Yup Gaze said it travel on Kendle but Landale it's legal 3 steps.

Reply #838913 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Yup Gaze said it travel on Kendle but Landale it's legal 3 steps.

Reply #838914 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Has anyone checked on LV?

Reply #838915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep feel for breakers but they shot themselves in both feet. Stupid back chat by Iverson starting it. Refs didn't help though. Landale so overrated on any one that’s bigger than him.

Reply #838916 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Agree that the Breakers didn't do themselves many favours down the stretch, however they've got a real case to feel aggrieved by that officiating.

Reply #838917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's been like this all season. Breakers sacrificed so much just to take part in the league this year, and this is the treatment we get.

Reply #838918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bro, Landale couldn't score on Trist. That’s the first time this season I’ve seen Trist guard someone competently.

Reply #838919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No matter what sport you play if you get stuck into refs it goes against you, you can talk and question but do it with a bit of respect even through gritted teeth. Nz have had it tough and it's starting to show, hopefully they can get a few games at home.

Reply #838920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United are overrated and I can't wait for them to lose to Perth in the finals.

Reply #838921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United fans will be thankful for the 3 points. But against any other team (or perhaps any other reffing crew) and they're getting blown out. No way they’re contending.

Reply #838922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In any normal season, I'd agree that refs will hit you harder when you chat. But in the context of the season, the situation the Breakers are in, the players they’ve got missing and how hard they’re trying just to survive it is absolutely petty behaviour by professional referees to lose their cool and go after a team. The Breakers were tech’d 3 times, including Abercrombie who I don’t think has ever been t’d in his career. If I was reffing I’d take a deep breath and explain why I made a call or not a call, and ask the player to move on. This league has been on the up in so many areas for a few years now but the reffing leaves a lot to be desired.

Reply #838925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^the reffing is actually getting worse. I didn't think that was possible, but it’s true.

Reply #838926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The refs were not great but nz went back to hero ball in the second half, you could hear their coach telling them in the time outs. Team work wins games.

Reply #838928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#925 what a joke this post is. Just the utter crap about Abercrombie. The guy has got saltier as his career has progressed and gets close to double figure technical each season. Never had a tech in his career, oh my goodness

Reply #838929 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tale of two centres? Iverson +22. Then Trist -23.

Reply #838930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" gets close to double figure technical each season. Never had a tech in his career, oh my goodness"

I'll donate $100 to a charity of your choice if you can fact check and provide a source that Abercrombie gets close to double figure technicals each season.

Reply #838931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a closer reality to never being T’d in his career

Reply #838932 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United following in the footsteps of Perth, facing a severely depleted opponent and walking away with a tight win

Course United is fairly depleted themselves, Hopson 2nd most important player on the team in my judgement

Reply #838933 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And I only watched the last 5 minutes so no comment on the reffing, perhaps lucky if Landale got away with a travel?

Reply #838934 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Yup let's just skim over the poor refereeing.

Reply #838935 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I have no comment, didn't see it, I'll take your word for it

But do let me know when United gets into a GF due to favourable reffing, cos they missed out on a GF because of it last year. That'll even up their ledger

Reply #838936 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

(Mod: Argue the point or don't argue.)

Reply #838937 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

You know I'm right KR, you admitted it yourself- United got screwed over and their season was ended

For all we know, this game tonight will mean zero come seasons end.

Reply #838938 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

have no comment, didn't see it, I'll take your word for it

I was actually happy to give you a free pass, if you didn't watch the game then rightly you can't speak to the happenings.

You know I'm right KR, you admitted it yourself- United got screwed over and their season was ended

But then you went back to bringing up unrelated things.

So you probably weren't genuine in the first place, oh well.

Reply #838940 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ha, clearly I've put a few panties into twists

Bad reffing is bad reffing and unacceptable- it's a longstanding issue and the NBL needs to do better. I have no comment on tonight, but I totally agree on the wider issue. The NBA does much better than the NBL at reffing- at this is where the NBL needs to aspire to

I'm just saying though from the perspective of favouritism or general advantage from said rubbish reffing- United could have favourable reffing every single game of this regular season and it wouldn't make up for what they copped in Game 3 last year.

Reply #838942 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

So dont anyone talk about Larry's league or the NBL Cup being an advantage for United (as if there weren't very good reasons to hold the Cup in Melbourne) and all the usual laughable nonsense that gets trotted out on this forum pretty much constantly

Reply #838943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hBRrVnjovHU

NBA do it so much better

Reply #838944 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[NBL Cup being an advantage for United]

I mean of course it is a huge advantage for United (and SEM), but I meant no one should be suggesting it's evidence of some sinister, unfair scheme from the owners of the competition and the NBL always helps United, etc

Reply #838945 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

United could have favourable reffing every single game of this regular season and it wouldn't make up for what they copped in Game 3 last year.

You try to build a case for addressing bad reffing then spew out this dribble and lose all credibility in the argument.

Don't bother.

Reply #838946 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[You try to build a case for addressing bad reffing then spew out this dribble and lose all credibility in the argument.

Don't bother.]

That's a reasonable argument, it isn't "non credible".

I expect United to finish on top of the ladder this season.

If United gets favourable reffing every game this regular season, I'd still expect them to finish on top of the ladder.

So it literally wouldn't make a difference to their finishing position after 36 games in my view.

This is not to excuse poor reffing- which is unacceptable- it's just pointing out that any perceived effect from helpful reffing will not make up for United having their season ended- and losing the chance to play for a championship against a team they'd beaten comfortably in the previous two meetings.

Reply #838947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dig lv, just dig. By the time your done we will have an underground trade route to China. That could be handy actually.

Reply #838950 | Report this post

Kas  
Years ago

It was a foul on Iverson so not sure why everyone is complaining - his arms were not straight up, his right arm came down - it was a foul

Reply #838952 | Report this post

Kas  
Years ago

And how good is McCarron playing? 16 -7-7

Reply #838953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#952 yes his arm came down, and hit the ball.

Reply #838955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

his arm came down, and hit the ball.

I think you're right. Didn't notice at first.

Reply #838958 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers playing great for stretches and then just running out of legs.

Reply #838964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a tough call on Iverson but still a foul, Iverson 3rd and 5th fouls were stupidity, tech for bad mouthing and whacking a player outside the three point line through reaching when no need to.

Reply #838967 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Iverson is playing great but he needs a decent backup.
NZ missing Rob Loe big time down the stretch with Iverson playing big minutes.
His lapses are probably due to fatigue.

Reply #838974 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I went searching for this Iverson foul (8:54, 4th)

In real time, looked like a foul.

Slow mo replay from baseline angle shows there wasn't contact. It wasn't a foul.

Those ones are unfortunate, he wasn't quite in his cylinder and Landale lost the ball so it looked bad. Even though it wasn't a foul.

No excuse for the tech. He stays on and NZ probably wins. Not good enough for a 30 something with Euroleague experience. Gotta have your mindset right by that age.

Reply #838975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#958 the baseline camera shows it clearly

Reply #838981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While there was some ref shenanigans, I would like to appreciate that some guys from the Breakers showed some great improvement last night in Bach, Trist and Weeks.

Didn't see Bach losing his man defensively ad much, weeks shot decently and Trist defended under the post pretty well considering who he was up against. I just feel Trist needs to give a bit more offensively still, doesn't seem to contest rebounds or screen as effectively as they need him too, but still defensively much improved.

Reply #838993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still waiting for the stats on the Tom Abercrombie technicals... Yes, the guy moans when called for a foul (what player doesn't in this league?!), but he is never impolite, rude or unprofessional.

I think Iverson had a right to be frustrated. It wasn't just last night he had some borderline calls against him. It's been all season long where he has great position and is a model of verticality, and the refs just can't call it right. This isn't just a problem with Iverson or other imports, Jawai has had the issue and Bogut prior to retirement would sometimes be called for soft calls too. The refs anticipate fouls on big men.

Reply #838999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#999 you can blame Daniel Johnson and players who whinge and complain every single time down the court, flailing his arms and bitching at the ref relentlessly. DJ even quits in the middle of play, forcing the ref to either call the foul or a violation on him. There is a reason why he shoots so many free throws, and legit bigs in the league such as Iverson are hurting as a result.

Hodgson is another who gets punished more than he really should, but he does make some bone head plays too. But seeing him play unimpeded by foul trouble, like we saw in the NBL Cup, is a sight to see.

Bigs are punished in this league on the defensive end. It's just the way it is called.

Reply #839003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trist was reasonably good, again in my opinion showing the plus minus stat to be worthless.

Reply #839007 | Report this post

Buster Ball  
Years ago

If you look at all the worst calls in the game they were made by one ref Elliot Green . He should never ever ref another game in the NBL..he was disgraceful .. Reid and Lyons acyually called a great game ..

Reply #839008 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I've been a fan of the Breakers since game 1 and have watched or followed every game of Abercrombies career and can't remember a single tech foul.
Not to say he's never had one but he certainly wouldn't have had double figures in techs across his whole career let alone a single season lol.

The last few seasons he has became more vocal (saltier as you called it) towards the refs and contentious calls than when he was younger.
It's not because he's salty, it's because he's the Captain and it's his job to.

Reply #839010 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure abercrombie has alreast one technical foul before.

Either this season or last. I remember thinking - that's unusual, he never gets T'd up.

Like Mystro I have seen all abercrombie games.

Reply #839013 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'd say Aber is a bit grumpier these days as his game has diminished which often happens but he's never been hot headed enough to regularly get techs.

Reply #839014 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I've seen virtually all of the Breakers games too I can especially remember their very first game, unfortunately.

Reply #839015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He get's plenty

Reply #839020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think Iverson had a right to be frustrated. It wasn't just last night he had some borderline calls against him. It's been all season long where he has great position and is a model of verticality, and the refs just can't call it right. This isn't just a problem with Iverson or other imports, Jawai has had the issue and Bogut prior to retirement would sometimes be called for soft calls too. The refs anticipate fouls on big men."

This is exactly it, it's not just this season, it’s every season. For years every import big the Breakers bring in has the same issues. These are players that have been all over the world and not had significant foul issues before, then suddenly they get to the NBL they’re getting fouled out every other game. The NBL refs are the problem.

Reply #839024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man that first game the Breakers had against Adelaide was crazy where they had the DPs on in the first half was crazy. Adelaide did well to bring it back and make it competitive.

"Trist was reasonably good, again in my opinion showing the plus minus stat to be worthless."

His on-ball defence was fine. But he isn't a great rebounder and he doesn't set good on-ball screens. That's the +/- difference for you in a nutshell.

Reply #839025 | Report this post

EssenX  
Years ago

"He get's plenty"

F. Off.

I've watched every Breakers game and actually played against Tom both HS and reps. If you're a ref getting offended by him then you do not have the temperament to be a professional ref. Matt Walsh tweeted about it because Abercrombie and Iverson just aren't the kind of guys who dish abuse on the court. Corey Webster maybe, but not Abercrombie.

Reply #839026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abercrombie is one of the best and most gentlemanly players over the last ten or so seasons. Some people are just ignorant.

Reply #839028 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's just the same anon troll trying to get a reaction in every thread, ignore it.

Reply #839034 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:32 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754