Jack Toft
Years ago

Kings v Cats Mar 28

The top 4 will change again after this game. Kings will either stay in the top 4 and jump SEM to third or tumble out to 6th. Lots at stake.

It was the Cotton-Ware show last time these teams met and between them they scored more than the entire Phoenix team did yesterday. But it's a whole new ball game this afternoon. Perth took care of one NSW team on Friday night and now they go to the other side of the country to get their claws into the other.

Cats are on the prowl and on a roll. Kings to be de-throwned

Topic #48277 | Report this topic

Another Anon  
Years ago

I sense danger game for the Cats. Kings by 4.

Reply #839261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe this is an even contest, it could all get down to the master and the apprentice. So if that's the case I think Gleeson could steer the ship home, Forde has made much better adjustments of late though. This has the ability to be a cracker, so with me looking forward to the 3pm start it’ll probably be a bust.
Cats by 3.

Reply #839269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth only one day off & have to travel across country to visit a Sydney team that's been home all week.

Reply #839277 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Wouldn't be surprised if Sydney win.

Reply #839281 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

I'm going to game should be fun

Reply #839282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns did same last week and only just lost. It's what happens in a national sport. I’m not certain what point you are making.

Reply #839283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth have not left Aussie Alcatraz in how long, and Perf fans still have a sook. Crazy

Reply #839286 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Perth have been starting flatter and flatter only locking in at the latter stages to win the game.

They cannot afford to do that with Sydney.

Reply #839287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#286 did you know there was a Hub?

Reply #839288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't see anyone sooking, it was just an observation of the scheduling.

Also, people that say Perf as if it's an insult are lame as fuck.

Reply #839290 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Scheduling certainly doesn't bother me.
In a normal season Perth would play a Friday night game at home and an away game on a Sunday.
Plenty of people on here whinge about schedules, injuries, home cooking etc.

I'm not one of them.

Reply #839293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah if the kings win it won't be classified as an upset. The kings are well rested and are a damn good team at home

Reply #839295 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I feel like the stars are aligned for a Cats loss today. Our form has been slipping but we've been getting away with it thanks to opponents who couldn't handle the jungle pressure.
At least 2 out of Cotton, Mooney & Blanchfield will need to snap back to their hub level play if we're going to compete today. I know better than to write us off but the Kings price is looking pretty tempting.

Reply #839297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Respect then Perth fan. Too many Wildcat whingers on here, but they pale in comparison to the Sixer sooks.

Reply #839298 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

I won't get drawn in to Adelaide sooks
Plenty of supporters across the country like to moan.

The biggest sook is Paul Smith so it would be nice if Perth get the win in front of him.

Reply #839299 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Thought crowd restrictions were gone in Sydney?

Reply #839311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crazy few minutes from Travers, he must have just played the best minutes of his life.

Reply #839314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jervis is a foul machine.

Reply #839316 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

This is an embarrassing crowd

Reply #839317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has there ever been an import more heavily protected by the men in green than one Bryce Cotton? Not hard to determine how he gets the space he need to operate when he is so protected.

Reply #839318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesus Christ refs have got Perth in their multi.

Reply #839319 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Ware is a moron. He got warned at the Free throws then goes again 20seconds later

Reply #839320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not hard to determine why Cotton's space is protected when you know the rules.

Reply #839321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe that tech on Ware was called because he shouldn't be talking shit to anyone when he's only hit two shots

Reply #839322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton is going to win three MVP trophies and Perth three peat is almost a certainty

Reply #839326 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Liking this accurate jump shooting version of Travers

Reply #839328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now that's a violent crumble

Reply #839329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Laurie Watson guy looks like a handsome version of Bruce Chalmers.

Reply #839330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's 10 of the last 11 games that Perth has won?

Reply #839332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct. 7 in a row.

Reply #839333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor deluded Liam santamariamamamia ex Victorian titans scrub thinks the United chokers are the favourites lol when will these fools learn Perth simply owns the chokers souls

Reply #839334 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

The 'Rivalry' between Bryce and Casper Ware is the same rivalry an ant has with a boot

Reply #839335 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Damn we're good.

Reply #839336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forde has lost this team. Ware is woeful and they play with no passion or pride for each other. If Lisch can coach give him a go, couldn't be any worse

Reply #839337 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

The good thing for Sydney is that at least F**k all people bothered to come out and watch.

Reply #839338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least Paul Smith saved money on is latest charity drive.

Reply #839339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton is the MVP no doubt. Cats are unstoppable with him. What is plan B??

Reply #839342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plan B for who?

Reply #839344 | Report this post

Dex  
Years ago

Liam think Melbourne can beat Perth in a 5 game series. How far has Melbourne travelled this year? Bendigo.. LOL

Reply #839345 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

With Cotton, Cats lift the trophy. Without Cotton, Cats lift the trophy.

They have the most effective coach, know how to do whatever it takes, and get into their opponents' heads to throw them out of their rhythm.

They don’t need the refs in order to win.

Reply #839346 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Have no doubt refs have helped Perth as much as any other team throughout history, home cooking isn't something exclusive to just a few teams!

Perth should always have been considered a top side, it’s just daft not to - even I made the mistake not predicting them top 2, I think I had MU and NZ (lol). Also had Perth and SEM rounding it out (noice).

Perth are the team to beat. Perth v Melbourne will happen this year IMO and all that fighting Perth fans v LV will escalate big time, as will the excuses!!!!

Reply #839347 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

What does Gleeson know about corruption in Basketball Australia. This guy develops talent, finds the right players and somehow pulls rabbits out of hats during a game to win.

So when the Australian coaching gig was available, why was this guy not first on the hit list?

Why go back in time to a coach we know can not compete without blowing cheque books.

Reply #839348 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Sydney just ain't good enough.

Reply #839349 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Why go back in time to a coach we know can not compete without blowing cheque books."

Where's your proof? When has he not got it done with a team? If he has never been in a situation of not having an expensive team you can’t make the claim as if he has. What does a check book have to do with a national team?

Reply #839350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liam sanatamamamia is a Melbourne homer you can't take what he says seriously. The other two were making fun of him for picking Melbourne

Reply #839351 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

To add to that, previous time he was coach the team was no where near as talented as Rio or last WC or this year likely.

I'd say Gleeson is less credible of a coach for Australia’s top talent as Goorj!

Reply #839352 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

No worries KET, are you or your kids benefiting from the trough?

Reply #839355 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Haha don't sook about being called out for a ridiculous comment

Reply #839371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson is so far ahead, it's not close, yes not certain why he hasn’t got higher honours.

Reply #839375 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I was liking what Lemanis was doing - wonder if Simmons simply doesn't like him

Reply #839377 | Report this post

Lemanis was doing a great job! I'd wager the prima donna wont even suit up for the boomers this year because of "injury" making the coaching merry go round all for nothing

Reply #839380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings are frauds. What a gutless performance that was. Once Perth applied the blowtorch, they melted into a puddle. The Wildcats are great, but Sydney is a joke. And Casper Ware as an MVP candidate HAHAHAHAHA

Reply #839392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorj has an extremely talented team right now but he isn't showing to be the master coach.

Reply #839394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Smith has no idea. That crowd today was a disgrace. It's because no one would know the Kings are playing. There’s virtually no promotion or marketing of the team in Sydney and the media doesn’t care about the team. And that’s down to Smith. He talks a lot of crap, but the truth is he’s clueless about running a team.

Reply #839401 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me why Didi L is in the NBA, and Cotton is not?

Reply #839414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

K4L 13 cms

Reply #839418 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Credit where its due. Its been a huge weekend for Perth.

But are they peaking too early?

And I maintain they'll need a roster upgrade- either via Cotton naturalisation or another decent Aussie- to defeat a full strength United. Both teams great on the defensive end but United have more fire-power at the other end. And good options for throwing at Cotton including Shea Ili, who was missing both matchups so far.

Reply #839422 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And I also think SEM will be better than Perth (assuming Perths current lineup) once they get Creek back (if/ when) and once Broekhoff settles.

We could be heading for a Victorian GF.

1997, 2009, 2021. It's the 12th year. And like both the previous times a relatively new franchise. Hopefully SEM last longer than the previous 2!

Reply #839425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha last week you were saying they'd only won games because of other team's injuries, now you're saying they are too good too early. You will find any reason to not acknowledge they are a good team.

Reply #839427 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

LOL 13 cm - so Jordan Hunter should be in NBA, not Jae-Sean Tate?

Reply #839429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just got to half time in a replay, better things to do on Sunday afternoon, the only thing worse than the refs is homicide and Luke's commentary. God there shit. Gleeson got everyone bluffed, part of his great coaching ability.

Reply #839431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a Adelaide fan and can see Perth are just a better team the United. Give it a break LV

Reply #839436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV leading candidate for dumbest poster of 2021

Reply #839438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time for Kickert to retire mid season can't even make wide open layups anymore.

Reply #839439 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

LV is harmless guys.
If Indeed it is a Victorian grand final again it's cute because Perth have won 6 times and appeared in 8 grand finals since 2009.

Reply #839441 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[I'm a Adelaide fan and can see Perth are just a better team the United. Give it a break LV]

[LV leading candidate for dumbest poster of 2021]

Perth are 13-4.

United are 7-0 when missing 1 player or full strength. Average winning margin 11 points.

6-5 when missing 2 players or more.

The W/L records suggest a healthy United is better until Perth upgrades their roster.

Reply #839442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne's recent losing patch suggests there are more issues than just missing key players. They still have a strong team, they lost four straight at home, getting players back isn't going to solve their biggest issue.

Reply #839445 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Correction United 6-0 with average margin 11.5 when missing 1 or none

7-5 missing 2+ players

Reply #839446 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Impressed with Travers. Needed a game like this.
Too often reliant on the big 3.
Always need 2 of the following to contribute... Travers, Steindl, Wagstaff and Norton.
If the others which are benchwarmers give anything it's a bonus.

Reply #839447 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Perth 10-1 in last 11 games.
I can't be bothered cherry picking any other bullshit stats like number of opposition players injured. Won most of those games in Victoria though.

Reply #839448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I knew Perth were the team to beat at seasons start and nothing changes my mind. Cotton and Mooney as usual great, everyone else does required. Gleeson is just so smart, how about his time out when he said Casper was going to come out and try and win it on his own ( hero ball ) and told don't let up on the double team, you are not hurting on the screens, go violent on the shows.
Sydney’s offence is to individual, few players that can’t pass the ball, Dejan is a bright spot, Martin offensively can play but defensively he’s a massive liability, Moller keeps battling in there but is never used on offence, Didi to hot and cold, Ware got try team more, he’s never going to beat Cotton. Hunter is doing very nicely.

Reply #839449 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[They lost four straight at home]

Not true- The only truly terrible loss was in Sydney

3 were in Melbourne.

1 of those was in OT, the other 2 were <10 pts with multiple lead changes throughout

"This ain't no cupcake league"

Missing Hopson and White throughout. Let's see Perth lose two equivalent players (Blanchfield and Norton, perhaps?) and see how they go.

Form comes and goes, we all know that. Is a long season but tbh I'm pretty happy United is 13-5 despite CG, White, Hopson, Ili all missing 5-8 of the 18 games.

Reply #839450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I knew Perth were the team to beat at seasons start and nothing changes my mind." Brainwashed it seems. They were NEVER the team to beat at the start of the season.

Reply #839451 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perth still aren't the "team to beat"

Reminder: United is 6-0 with average winning margin 11.5 when missing one or none.

Reply #839453 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

LV with random stats.
Here's one Perth are 0-1 against Brisbane despite Cotton, Blanchfield and Mooney all getting 20+.
Perth lost by 3 points, I have cherry picked that Froling shot 4 of 4 free throws.

Injuries are an excuse. Let it go LV.

Reply #839454 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

To me or most other posters here, the team on top of the ladder is the team to beat.

6-0 when missing 1 or none. Who cares.

Reply #839455 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

I agree with LV that perth need an upgrade at the center position to be championship favorites. Bairstow is getting monstered and mooney is having to play out of position. A five man that can protect the rim and can shoot would address their weakness. A cam oliver type or martin from Sydney would fit nicely

Reply #839461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne are the team to beat we are soo good full strength, the deepest team in the league. Then when you have a few injuries it's oh our players were injured... What's perths record when you factor in steindl missed games? Let's really cherry pick some stat's.

Reply #839464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Cotton goes down for 4-6 weeks what happens to this team? Asking for a friend.

Reply #839466 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Tell your "friend" Perth will be f#cked , likewise if Mooney goes down.

Reply #839467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I basically agree with what LV is saying here. I think if Cotton gets injured, people would probably get the point.

Betweem the attention demanded by Cotton, and their excellent execution within their system, they have been able to get open looks for their role players. I think without Cotton there, those opportunities just aren't the same. I'm not sure of the role players can maintain that level of performance. Also not sure if a team like United may be able to adapt to defend better over a finals series.

I think the Wilcats also lack depth on ball handlers.

As long as no one breaks Cotton's thumb against the back board again, then we may expect a full season from him.

SEM have been able to adjust well to the loss of Sykes, as Adnam has used his shooting and nimble ball handling to good effect. I doubt Norton could achieve a comparable result on offense.

Cotton has also been slowed down by good defenders at times. Justin Simon has done very well recently, though tired by the end of the game. I would like to see if Illi with support from McCarron could focus their energy on slowing Cotton.

The one area where I think Perth has been the best team, is the consistency of high effort play, including when they face a significant deficit. Norton takes some criticism for his offense, but he is a disruptive defender and rebounder. They often have disruptive effort on boards, with blocking out, cutting to gaps, tipping, and chasing. Other teams just don't seem to maintain that effort level as consistently. That's just heart, belief and effort.

I still think we haven't yet seen the best of what Melbourne have to offer, but also not sure that we will. I'm not yet convinced by the culture at either Melbourne or Sydney.

Reply #839468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great post 468

Reply #839469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you have to consider that Perth have been winning even when Cotton hasn't played well for a half or even 3/4 of a game. In other words other players in the Wildcats system have stepped up. United haven’t seen the best of Bryce yet...but they will

Reply #839471 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bryce hasn't seen the best of United either, cos he hasn't faced their best back court defender

Gleeson said in the post game interview that he was looking for a Centre. This was a joke, perhaps about Bogut from memory, but there would've been a little grain of truth at the core of this joke

Reply #839472 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Fair post #468, lots of good points

United's culture is OK but I'm perfectly willing to admit 2 things, firstly Gleeson a better coach than Vickerman, secondly and possibly linked to the first, Perth stands alone as consistently buying into team ethos, outhustling their opponents, crashing the boards, in other words all the little things that are crucial for successful basketball

Reply #839473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United more cash to splash though and it will pay dividends in the 2nd half of the season

Reply #839474 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The only time cash to splash worked is when Mayberry decided to turn a blind eye to the two previous headbutts to Sobey and magically send him off during game 3

Reply #839475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton has faced many better defenders than Illie...Cotton will happily dine on him any night of the week and twice on Sundays...Illie is nowhere near as tough as Norton as a defender

Reply #839476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United are so overrated it's not funny Sydney has more injuries than United and pulled their pants down by 30+....United are just not that good or have the depth as advertised

Reply #839477 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[United are so overrated it's not funny Sydney has more injuries than United]

United is 13-5, Sydney is 9-9....

But I agree Sydney will be formidable. Like SEM, if/ when they get their full team on the floor.

How far away is Cooks though?

Reply #839479 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And I also think SEM will be better than Perth (assuming Perths current lineup) once they get Creek back (if/ when)
Creek's not coming back this season.

Reply #839482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United had a stacked roster that had people considering whether they would go undefeated.

Perth's roster made people think the play-off streak was over.

The fact that there is even a conversation about who is the best team is a credit to Perth.

Reply #839483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A credit to Perth, but also a reflection of the amount of games missed by Goulding, Ili, Hopson and White. Melbourne and Perth are clear in the top two, and it's going to take a team to really improve to catch them.

Reply #839488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we're talking hypothetical and turning them into facts then Perth should be 14-3, possibly even 15-2, due to an uncharacteristic Wagstaff missed layup and a Cotton turnover costing Perth two wins.

#LVlogic

Reply #839489 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[United had a stacked roster that had people considering whether they would go undefeated.

Perth's roster made people think the play-off streak was over.

The fact that there is even a conversation about who is the best team is a credit to Perth.]

It is a credit to Perth.

However, if United had never signed Hopson and White (with roster otherwise 100% the same) or if United never had CG and Ili, then those pre season discussions would've been very different

Eg if United roster was:

Landale/JLA
Barlow/Peatling
McDaniel/DP upgrade
CG/Baba
McCarron/Ili

Or

Landale/JLA
Barlow/White
Hopson/McDaniel
Baba/DP upgrade
McCarron/Short

United wouldn't have been favourites. Sydney, SEM, Perth and Cairns probably would've been the expected top 4 (Keeping in mind Cairns was actually $1.30 or $1.20 for top 4 at beginning of season). With United perhaps in the top 4 mix but definitely not favourites.

Yet that's how United's roster has looked most nights and they're still 13-5. And yes of course playing in Melbourne has helped.

Reply #839496 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sorry forgot about NZ. Maybe slot them in ahead of SEM in the above post eg Cairns, Sydney, NZ and Perth would've been the top 4 pre season favourites if United was without 2 players from their actual roster

Reply #839497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smart people new Perth were the team to beat, history says so, I called it at seasons start, got told I'm an idiot. The proof is in there for all to see. Sydney are not getting better with to much hero ball, Cooks could help slightly but no where is he the saviour. Melbourne have talent but Perth have Gleeson, who just knows how to get his teams to win.

Reply #839500 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

People who think someone can stop Cotton forget that Cotton used to go up against the defensive GOAT in Martin every single practice and now goes up against Norton who has come into his own as a great defender. Sure, they'll stop him for a qtr or a half, but Cotton only needs a qtr to put the game on ice as long as the rest of the team pick up the slack. The only defensive stopper is an injury.

Reply #839538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched the press conference, Forde and Kickett, complaining about lack rebounding, it's pretty simple, Bogut retires and they replace him with a four man who they say can play five. Martin offence is fine but rebounding and defensive is not his strong point, he also now plays behind Hunter in the five.

Reply #839548 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Cotton (his scoring) can be 'stopped' (more appropriate is limited).

The most recent example I can think of is Cairns with Newbill in last years SF after Game 1.

Justin Simon did a good job in the first half of the recent Illawarra game.

However Cotton is not just a scorer, he can facilitate, he can draw defences, Gleeson always goes on about their counters.

Example, Perth Melbourne GF 2018-19, Melbourne focused on containing Cotton, all that did was enable Kay and White (MVP).

Last season, Sydney tried the awful Box and 1 and not only did it only serve to facilitate Kay, Plumlee and White, it also made the person it was supposed to contain MVP.

Perth can be stopped, but its going to be a team effort. United are very capable of doing it, I look forward to their game in a couple of weeks time.

Reply #839557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor LV, getting you're hopes up again for it all to be blown to pieces in the playoffs again?

Reply #839560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone pumping up Trev but in his timeout he was drawing up a side out of bounds play and it was kings ball in the backcourt. So much for a master coach

Reply #839561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trev is thinking three moves ahead

Reply #839562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
And some.

Reply #839575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Everyone pumping up Trev but in his timeout he was drawing up a side out of bounds play and it was kings ball in the backcourt. So much for a master coach"

Did he not say before that, NEXT out of bounds run this... Just because he draws up a play doesn't mean he doesn’t know who’s ball it is, just means he’s not wasting his timeout

Reply #839710 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:45 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754