Scout
Years ago

Mika Vukona joins JackJumpers as consultant

5 x NBL champion Mika Vukona is joining the @JackJumpers as a consultant to their basketball program.

Topic #48288 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

A consultant doing?. I heard he was going to be Dev Coach. Jj's losing the plot.

Reply #839657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great hire. Culture setter

Reply #839658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grest hire. Seriously we can't find an Aussie (Stewie) t do that job Its a joke.

Reply #839660 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Lol. Stewie.

Reply #839661 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

How is it losing the plot anon #657?

Reckon it is a great appointment as either development coach or as and when needed.

Reply #839663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People in the local basketball community down there are walking away from it. They are totally pissed off, yes Radford will get a token job at bench end but he doesn't register in Tasmanian basketball. They are offer some local jobs but there the non important jobs. They might put a good team together and have a few locals at bench end but I’m getting the local feel amongst basketball people that all the good work done by the basketball community over the last ten years to get a side in has been wasted starting with the top down.
Look at the hawks, there crowds were two to three thousand last season, to nothing this season, when Savile and Campbell and other locals were playing they were five thousand plus. Community clubs like Cairns, Illawarra have to have a community feel or they struggle, yes people will turn up for a look early but it’s not sustainable.

Reply #839665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Perth Fan

You can say lol stewie, but in the south and even the north basketball revolved around what he put in place re clinics, chargers, even huskies. Vukona is a good appointment but Stewart should have been given a chance at head coach or at least the assistant. I don't see this working long term.

Reply #839666 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Saville and Campbell weren't Wollongong locals, so there goes your whole point. Well done.

It appears to me that a lot of people down in Tasmania were expecting jobs for the boys and now that it isn't happening the way they thought it would they whine incessantly on here about it.

Reply #839667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were long term players who still live in Wollongong, not unlike all the players Bevo brought over to Perth, I'm certain you think Martin is a local. The basketball community doesn’t want job for the boys they want a say in there team, they fought hard for it.

Reply #839669 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

#665 ZI'm part of the Southern Tas basketball community - do not get that vibe at all. There is a positive vibe here - would not give a position to a local just because they are local.

There is recognition that the franchise needs to be professional to be sustainable.

Also recognise that a lot of work needs to be done particularly in the South by BTAS, courts, refs, coaches, and player support to keep up with demand - it is a given.

I rate Vukona big time - reckon he will be an asset for the franchise and basketball in Tasmania.

Reply #839671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The basketball community doesn't want job for the boys they want a say in there team, they fought hard for it.

Pretty sure no other clubs operate by giving fans a say in how the team is run.

Reply #839673 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#669 exactly my point. There's nothing stopping the new team from recruiting players from a different state who eventually settle down long term and become locals, as in Wollongong. The argument on here by some is that you want locals from day one though which isn't realistic due to depth of talent issues.

Scout that's refreshing - a few seem very unhinged by the recruiting process and make it look as if everyone down there is unhappy - obviously they expected jobs for certain individuals that didn't eventuate.

Stewie can continue contributing to local basketball in the second tier and/or junior development as he has been doing for years.

Reply #839676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ scout,
We all rate vukona, why do you think Stewart is not in the mix, the basketball locals I know are walking. Looks like chargers for me then.

Reply #839677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stewart is not the best man for the job hence why he hasn't got one

Reply #839678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mika loves living in all the reat spots...NZ & Tassie! #Culture

Reply #839680 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Mika has been there done that in the NBL and will be a great asset to the JackOffs moving forward.

Reply #839681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like chargers for me then.

aren't you already team manager or waterboy or something?

Reply #839683 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Wow a Tasmanian giving up on the team that hasn't happened yet lol. Still NO players signed yet.

I assume fans of teams would want the best players available .
Will Tassie locals still want Nick Kay, Dellavedova and Moller. The answer is obvious.

Why the fuss over Vukona's inclusion to staff.

Reply #839688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going by stereotypes if all of stewies cousins are outraged that is a lot of locals.

Reply #839690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what coaching experience does Vukona have? Pretty sure ZERO. Another ok LK's appointments. I suspect. Perthworld still sniping. Use your nick rather than posting anonymouslyyet again.

Reply #839692 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If you want someone to help form your club, wouldn't you want someone like Mika??

He is tough, no non-sense player, thats been in the league over many years in many teams.
He is a winner.

Reply #839695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont anyone be fooled by the person claiming to speak for the rest of the Tassie bball community. He's a bitter old fool who has strong ties to Stewie, and when he doesnt get his own way he turns nasty.

Reply #839700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We will see how pans out, Roth coaching credentials are basically as an assistant, Stewart has had head coaching experience, worked with Gleeson in preseason competitions. He at least should get an assistant job, or are they scared of his local knowledge. Do the Perthworld of the world actually know how much Stewart has done for basketball down here, knows his shit and has won lower level championships with locals and two imports, Nichols and Moller, anyway excuse me for being loyal that's how I was taught to be and I am not related to Stewart, hardly no him but I’ve seen what he done for local basketball. He will a big loss.

Reply #839702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What has loyalty got to do with anything? If you decide to not follow the JJs because they didn't hire your mate, that isn't loyalty. That's stupidity.

Reply #839703 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

*know.

Reply #839704 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

I will jump on the JJ bandwagon.
I need a second team to support after my precious Wildcats and I'm bored with the Hawks.

Reply #839705 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Anon #700 is your point made by the post following yours!?!

Reply #839707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's great to be loyal if the cause is worthy. Stewie is not.

Reply #839711 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Dont anyone be fooled by the person claiming to speak for the rest of the Tassie bball community. He's a bitter old fool who has strong ties to Stewie, and when he doesnt get his own way he turns nasty.

Is he an ex-Devils and Kings waterboy by any chance? That would explain a lot.

Reply #839717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. Perthworld using his own nick rather than the anonymous cowards one above a few times. Happy for you to tell all the team managers in the NBL and other Leagues they are towel and water boys. Just shows you how little you know about basketball. You never have understood the game and nothing clearly has changed.

Reply #839718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time will reveal all, Weaver had a gun team and still only got second. Most American coaches have been failures in the nbl, how that United coach go a few years back, and while Henry hasn't had a full season the jury is out.

Reply #839721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tweedledumb and Tweedledumber from Perth offering criticism and no advice. Yet another thread destroyed.Stay away.

However back on the topic what does Vukona bring to the table? If he's going to be the Dev Coach what use is that when he's never coached? Make no mistake he's a tough player and clearly experienced. When the 1st assistant arrives from Perth hahahaha it will be only a few months before tip off. Hardly useful. Radford is expected to be announced shortly. There's the Tasmanian on the coaching panel. Excited much?
As mentioned above many locals are very unhappy that more locals aren't involved. Chivers son, wow, he was an admin person in a school and a bean counter. Son of former Chargers Head Coach Mark Chivers a long time Chargers person and good mates with Brookhouse and Crivelli. Expect him to be involved. More of the boys club it seems. Brookhouse a good mate of LK's via the seabl, chargers, Knox etc.
Roth clearly credentialled but as above basically and assistant. He could be the new Conner Henry. His first season is critical obviously. Get it right and he will be a hero, get it wrong and he will be tomorrow's fish and chip wrapper.

Reply #839724 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Think Perthworld has some inside knowledge of someone that annoys the beejus out of them.

Back to the topic, Mika Vukona is a class act that will help develop a strong culture for the Jackjumpers.

Still to find out who will be the coaching staff and roster, reckon some are jumping at shadows for the sake of it.

Think the Jackjumpers will sign someone like Reyne Smith along with a big name ie a Nick Kay there are a lot of dominoes to fall.

Vukona is down as a consultant which I read as on not part of the coaching team but will assist the franchise. I'm comfortable with that - respect Mika and believe he will value add.

Reply #839726 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

ie the inside knowledge annoys the person who is the subject of the inside knowledge not Perthworld

Reply #839728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#724 you need to get a life

Reply #839729 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Yep #729 agreed

Reply #839731 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So in summary the annoyed individual doesn't like it that JackJumpers jobs are going to LK's people rather than the locals he is associated with (i.e. his own boys). Hypocrite. While it isn't ideal at least the latter are people with recent top tier NBL experience.

Reply #839738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent post #724.

Is vukona job like Longley for the kings, turn up every so often and see what's taking place or full time with the team. Another announcement with not much to it. Radford the best coach in Tasmania, lmao, Roth, Chance, Radford. Roth and Chance were, are assistants to Gleeson, so is Forde and that’s not setting the world on fire. Yes it’s a boys club but not a Tasmanian’s boys club.

Reply #839740 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That should read former not latter.

Scout if it is who I think it is then I do have inside info on this triggered poster, a fact which irritates him to no end.

Reply #839744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I refer back to my post in the last "stewie should be a coach" thread. Just because you live locally to a team doesn't entitle you to a position. It’s professional sports. Get over it stewie

Reply #839756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's funny that Tasmanians think that any criticism they cop must be from the same person. It couldn't possibly be that countless people think the water boy is a massive idiot....

Reply #839761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep using an anonymous nick Perthworld. Ip's are the same.

Reply #839762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha no they aren't

Reply #839763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As said, it's a boys club, just not a Tasmanian one. Most Tasmanian’s seem to think Stewart should be involved but all you non locals no better, and I said most.

Reply #839767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. The locals do know more than the outsiders. Which is most of the posters here.

Reply #839768 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The locals may be knowledgeable about other local basketball identities but that is useless when it comes to employing professional talent for a brand new franchise. JackJumpers require NBL calibre candidates, which are, shock horror, from the mainland as the league hasn't been present in Tasmania for 25 years. Local SEABL and junior coaches aren't qualified no matter how infatuated you are with them.

Reply #839810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They employ an assistant coach, if you think Tasmania hasn't got local managerial talent or is some backward place you had better get out Perth and have a look around.
As has previously been said it’s jops for the boys as long as you are from the mainland.

Reply #839823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what does Vukona have to offer the new Tassie franchise? Please let us know seeing as you seem to think you know it all from so far away? Why do they have to come from the mainland btw that's quite discriminatory. I have a vague idea that Brookhouse could be Tasmanian. Chivers is so why are they appointed? They should be mainlanders according to you. Your points are weak and invalid.Yet another disrupted thread by the red(neck)army.
We await your summation of Vukona Vs Stewart. Which will never happen.

Reply #839824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jops for the boys haha

Reply #839825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One thing Vukona doesn't bring is the emotional baggage that Stewie's grampa has.

Reply #839826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep posting shit PW.

Reply #839831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brookhouse isn't Tasmanian, he worked for the chargers approximately 18/20 years ago. Tasmania has got the talent but like the local bloke that wanted the Illawarra franchise and missed out, LK prefers his own blokes. In the end LK owns the league so he does what he wants, it doesn’t look like working in Illawarra at present.

Reply #839839 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Should Tassie appeal to one upset twerp and go with Stewart.

Reply #839859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Perth Redneck army invade yet another topic.

Reply #839863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do you care? You won't even follow the JJs.

Reply #839866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a local but I don’t see an issue with any of the appointments so far it not unusual for a head coach to bring in assistants or people he has worked with before . and I love stewie as much as anyone he as done a great job with the chargers but he has had opportunities in the the past with nbl assistant jobs and knocked them back to stay in tassie he was never going to get a gig just of seabl experience he only has himself to blame for that if we want this to be successful you get the best person for the job were I would like to see a local flavour is in the development players it wouldn’t hurt to give a couple of young players like stanwic a go even mason bragg see if he can finally cut it at nbl level

Reply #839871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vukona isn't from the mainland. He’s a New Zealander. Look at how the Breakers culture struggled after his departure. Look at the impressive culture in Brisbane. Vukona sets the tone and I don’t see any Tasmanians who play the way he does and have had the success he has had. I am sure Tasmanians will find roles in the club and over time that will increase but on day one you have to hire the best people to ensure the foundations of the team are built as strongly as possible.

Reply #839875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stewie has had NBL Asst coaches offers. Please name those clubs if you think it's true. Oh if you want to name local players please spell their surname correctly. Zero cred there.

Reply #839895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty amazed that people on here are mind readers. " You won't even support them". Bullshit.

Reply #839904 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Vukona isn't from the mainland. He's a New Zealander. Look at how the Breakers culture struggled after his departure. Look at the impressive culture in Brisbane. Vukona sets the tone and I don’t see any Tasmanians who play the way he does and have had the success he has had. I am sure Tasmanians will find roles in the club and over time that will increase but on day one you have to hire the best people to ensure the foundations of the team are built as strongly as possible.

Slam dunk summary right here. He's a five-time NBL culture-setting champion who is from another island, should be a perfect fit for the JackJumpers.

Reply #839926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stewie has said himself on record that he has had opportunity's over the last five years and before that re nbl assistant roles he was very close to accepting one at cairns and but due to having his own business and not wanting to move his family interstate unless it was for a head coaching role decided against which is fine like I said I love stewie but it would have been a suicidal move if they put him in as the first jj head coach with no nbl experience but I agree it wouldn’t hurt to have him there as an assistant. And you want to bag me out for miss spelling names I dare say I’ve been to more local basketball games then dating back to the devil’s days !

Reply #839938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not in the hunt mate. I will take that to the bank.

Reply #839943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't mind the appointment but the press release is a bit light on detail IMO. What’s he actually doing? Is he moving to Tas or as a consultant is it a fly in fly out type role, ie: Longley?

Culture is built from the inside out. SEM shave provided the blue print- get your marquee local that will set the tone and engage the local market

Reply #840393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FIFO appointment.

Reply #840396 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:17 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754