Jack Toft
Years ago

Melbourne v New Zealund Apr 10

I was kinda hoping this might be a good one, but then Tai (me kangaroo down) Webster is out with a calf strain.

Me-bourne could retake top spot with a win and if Perf loses. I've never heard so many Victorians barrack for a South Australian team since, well I don't know when.

New Zealand with a horror season face a team with a hot streak. I'm reminded of the classic Simpsons quote - stop, stop, he's already dead.

United to clear the bench tonight

Topic #48339 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Perth lose and United win then Perth will still stay top of the ladder based on percentage.

Reply #841660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech is a great defender but he is not going to stop Cotton. Cats by double digits after some close games as of late.

This is another Perth thread, right?

Reply #841662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne weren't convincing in their two wins against NZ. NZ lose Webster but since those match ups they’re adding Corey Webster, WMW, Randolph and Loe. If the Breakers can play with some cohesion, I would not be surprised to see them win this. Fatigue has been fatal for them to date.

Reply #841669 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ have a real shot at winning this one even with Tai Webster sidelined.
They'll have a pep in their step knowing they'll be able to travel between countries without quarantine shortly and see their families and loved ones and possibly even play some games at home.

Adding Loe will be huge although he hasn't played in a couple of months.
Iverson will now have a legitimate backup capable of splitting minutes allowing him to play even harder for shorter spurts.

WMW will have had a few practice sessions now and will be feeling a lot more familiar with the team and systems and Levi Randolph brings some X factor.

C.Webs got a game under his belt after injury and will only get better.

W.McDowell White / J.Weeks
C.Webster / R.Bach
T.Abercrombie / L.Randolph
F.Delaney / D.Trist
C.Iverson / R.Loe

Dan Trist hasn't been bad the last couple of games especially on the defensive end and Kyrin Galloway was pretty decent early on in the season when given opportunities. Trist has a little more size and strength than Galloway and was playing undersized Centre vs his preferred Forward role so it will be interesting how he steps up if required or if Shamir roles out Galloway behind Delaney or if Levi Randolph can play some spot minutes at the 4.

Reply #841670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne in a blowout! Too
Much backcourt depth. No one can create a show on the Breakers line up (with Tai out) other than his brother and he doesn't have the motor to do it for long periods.

United have several guys they can just throw it to to get a bucket. Baba Illi and McCarron so wear out Corey as well taking turns.

As much as I don’t like Tai’s shot selection at times and he’s shot them out of some games, you’re not going to win without his input either

Reply #841673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Melbourne will walk away with the W. With McDowell-White, Randolph and Los joining recently I do think this is still a strong team without T Webster. But I don't think the team will be cohesive enough.

As others have said Melbournes talent is outstanding and they can score from all over the show. Only weak point is Power Forward, which isn't really exploitable enough for NZ.

Reply #841676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think any sporting code would be wise to trust the travel bubble until it’s been "clean" for a period. The carnage it would cause to the season if a team was forced to quarantine in NZ after an outbreak for 14 days and then again upon arrival into Australia is not worth the risk/benefit

Reply #841677 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

no different to going to WA

Reply #841678 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Loe likely won't play until next week but Randolph is expected to play tonight.

Reply #841679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking forward to another g league player strut his stuff, I think he's going to be better than the hawks guy.

Reply #841684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA didn't just have 17 COVID cases arrive from India and have to suspend entry from that country though did they

Reply #841685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ those cases were all quarantined at the border. There's no community transmission in NZ.

Reply #841692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's not the point but the quarantine working is a byproduct

Reply #841694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Zodiac, the Breakers tweeted yesterday that Loe will suit up.

It will be interesting how Randolph goes. He is a bit bigger than Paul with similar G league numbers but with better shooting 3pt %. Paul was a gun until Adelaide screwed his confidence so it will be interesting to see how Randolph fares in the NBL especially against a team with elite perimeter defenders.

Reply #841700 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Okay cool anon. I was just relaying what the article in the thread yesterday said.

Reply #841701 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If Perth lose and United win then Perth will still stay top of the ladder based on percentage.
Melbourne would be half a game ahead, percentage would be irrelevant.

Reply #841773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Early days but WMW ain't no Giddey.

Reply #841782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All coaches should not be allowed to yell at refs, coaches yelling foul on every shot and play is undue pressure. All coaches.

Reply #841786 | Report this post

Herbert Cadbury  
Years ago

Australian viewers - who are on the commentary team tonight?

Reply #841788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley, good, Heal , not so good, caller jack heverin, good.

Reply #841791 | Report this post

Herbert Cadbury  
Years ago

We get Andrew Mulligan and Casey Frank throughout gameplay then back to Heal and co at the half.

Their commentary is notably more free when it is just for an NZ audience it seems, they aren't afraid to call out say Goulding for flopping, bad ref calls (both ways) and are generally just saying what's on their minds, very fun to listen to at times!

Reply #841793 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

NZ commentary is no doubt better even if biased to the home team. In Australia we now have to resort to the mute button for most lineups of the commentary team unfortunately.

Reply #841794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WMW doing much better, looking ok, Heal talking his client up, Weeks who's spudding up. United doing enough to win this. Hooley is excellent on commentary.

Reply #841795 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Levi looking good

Reply #841797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Breakers have struggled offensively when WMW went to the bench. They looked very fluid when he was on the court. He does a good job of running the team without doing anything flashy although that defensive possession on Goulding was something.

This Breakers game is like the last one, when they were up marginally they have had chances to blow out the lead but can't do it. Abercrombie struggling from 3.

Reply #841798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers have had their chances. Abercrombie's had some great looks.

Reply #841803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frank and Mulligan weren't great when they started a few years ago, but they are now a few steps above the Australian commentators. Their banter is priceless and they’re willing to call it as they see it whether that’s favourable to the Breakers and/or the NBL or not.

Reply #841808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randolph looks silky smooth, can play within the system, and gets involved defensively.

Reply #841809 | Report this post

Perth Arena  
Years ago

Is anyone able to explain to me please the confusion in the final minute over Goulding's free throws and whether the last bucket was a three?

Reply #841810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the nz commentary is far better.

Reply #841811 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

I prefer the aussie commentators

Too much droning about moustaches

Reply #841813 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ili new ankle injury? Or the old one Lingering?

Reply #841814 | Report this post

Law  
Years ago

Reply #841824 | Report this post

Kas  
Years ago

Ili - same injury - has been an issue all season

Also hopefully Hopson ok hurt himself - ankle? Or foot? At end

Reply #841825 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Looked to me like he turned his ankle, although it was very difficult to see from the angle they used.

Reply #841829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does utd re sign hopson or is he done in the nbl next year

Reply #841830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopson could go to Cairns. Space Cam won't be there next season.

Reply #841836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Space Cam signed a two year deal. Turned down more money in Europe & Asia, stated it's either NBA or NBL. Hasn’t had the best season to go to the NBA so he’s not going anywhere

Reply #841838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oliver stats are same as last season, he's been good, to many fools around here just listen to stupid commentary, he’s not the reason Cairns are struggling.

Reply #841848 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:53 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754