Anonymous
Years ago

Future NBL Playoffs

Do you think if the NBL adds a 12th team next season (2nd Victorian team), they league should change the playoffs system? Personally, I think that 8 out of 11 teams making the playoffs (the current system) is too many. Maybe make the season a little longer, and have the top 4 make the playoffs. That would make playoff spots more competitive I think.

Topic #4839 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

5 or 6 of the 12 making the play-offs would be good. I think 4 would be too few.

The current system of 8 of 11 making it is pretty silly.

Reply #55664 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

And then maybe they would do best of 3 or 5 instead of the silly way sixers were ousted last season.

Reply #55686 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

12 Teams - Top Six Playoffs

3v6 (best of three)
4v5 (best of three)

1v2 (best of three, winner through to GF, loser through toPrelim Final series

##Winner of 3v6 vs winner 4v5 (best of three)

Loser of 1v2 vs winner of ##

Grand Final Series (best of 5)

Does anyone understand that? I do!

Reply #55697 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

WE would need a 12 month season to cover all these playoff games.

Reply #55718 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

The Journo, that is a simple and potentially exciting playoff series! Totally agree with you.

This year, there will be atleast 2 teams that make the'playoffs' with negative records...That is a disgrace in my opinion. To make the playoffs, is a privlidge not something that any team can make just to make up the numbers!

Reply #55738 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Thanks Nino for the support!

I'm sure each 3 game series will be over in 5 days maximum

Reply #55746 | Report this post

CPD  
Years ago

Well said Journo. It's such an obvious way to proceed, but perhaps the politics (and extra ticket sales?) of having 8 teams in the playoffs means it won't happen.

EC, I think the series could play out like this:

Quarters / Semis:
Game 1 Thursday
Game 2 Friday
Game 3 Sunday
Finals:
Game 1 Wednesday (?)
Game 3 Friday
Game 3 Sunday
Game 4 Friday (?)
Game 5 Saturday

Game 4 is a tough one to schedule because I don't think you'd want the championship decided on a week day.

Just my 2 cents.

Reply #55926 | Report this post

CPD  
Years ago

Whoops, didn't finish this thought:

"Game 4 is a tough one to schedule because I don't think you'd want the championship decided on a week day."

but having a full week between Games 3 and 4 is maybe too long.

Reply #55943 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:15 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754