GordonG
Years ago

Taipans welcome Venky Jois

The CQUniversity Cairns Taipans have signed Venkatesha "Venky" Jois to the active playing roster, for the 2020-21 NBL season. The former NBA G-League forward returns to Australia from the Basketball League of Serbia and joins Far North Queensland for his second stint in the NBL.

The 27-year-old has a vast amount of international experience, playing in the US, Estonia, Croatia, Germany, Japan, New Zealand and Australia. Most recently, he played for Pirot in the top-tier Serbian league where he averaged 10 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.7 assists.

Previously, Jois suited up in the NBA G-League, appearing in 18 games for the Memphis Hustle in 2019. He averaged 5.9 points and 3.9 rebounds in 12.3 minutes.

Originally from Melbourne, Jois was the 2011 SEABL Youth Player of the Year with the Dandenong Rangers before he was recruited by Eastern Washington University.

Throughout his collegiate career, Jois started 120 games and averaged 14.8 points, 8.3 rebounds and 2.3 assists. He earned the Big Sky Freshman of the Year award for 2012-13 as well as All-Tournament team honours in 2015.

Jois went on to play in Estonia, Croatia, Japan and Germany, before returning home to Melbourne and signing with United late in the 2018-19 season, to add depth for their NBL Finals campaign. He joined the Super City Rangers in the New Zealand NBL before his NBA G-League debut.

Taipans Head Coach Mike Kelly said he was excited to add Jois into the mix after monitoring him for several years.

“We've spoken to Venky over the years and also watched him during his time at Eastern Washington.

“It’s been great to see him play all over the world, and gain all of that international experience.

“He’s a guy that can do multiple things - he plays really hard, he can switch and guard perimeter players, he can rebound the ball and attack in transition,” he said.

“It’s always difficult in the middle of a season to come in and make a big impact, but that is exactly what we need Venky to do.

“With all the different leagues and levels he’s played at, we’re confident that he’ll be able to do that.

“He’s a mature basketball player that will pick things up quickly and play the right way.”

Topic #48396 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pirot ran dead last in the Serbian league, hardly a recommendation. Good luck to Cairns, as an Oliver replacement though I don't see it.

Reply #843779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He played a small handful of games for Melbourne, then played in the G League. Another NBL success story!!!

Reply #843781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A bunch of Eastern Washington alum plying their trade in NBL.

Is he the first Indian player in NBL to be on the playing roster?

Curious to see how he goes. He seems to have had some fans over the years. I suspect he will be OK, but nowhere at Oliver's level. Cairns depth has been challenged this year and it's going to be tough for them not to be blown out, let alone win, now.

Reply #843782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ I wasn't aware Venky was of Indian heritage but nevertheless, definitely not the first Indian.
Amritpal Singh played for the Kings in 2017/18

Reply #843788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Venk was born here. Father is indian

Reply #843791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jois played for United a few seasons back, they sacked Trist for him. They should've kept Trist.

Reply #843792 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Jois' free throw shooting action is seriously funky.

Reply #843793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Jois played for United a few seasons back, they sacked Trist for him. They should've kept Trist." Trist is a bust. Venky has a game. How many teams has Trist played with now? 3? I bet he won;t be in the NBL next season. He had a good rep coming back from EU and ever since in SEABL and the NBL he has delivered, nothing. Oh except bad haircuts.

Reply #843799 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

How many teams has Trist played with now? 3?

More than Jois anyway. Wasn't this the guy who thought he was a gun played a handful of games for United didn't impress at all and then demanded a pay rise from them so they let him go?

Reply #843805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ that's him.
Jois has played for more team than Trist, read the article and see how many teams and countries.

Reply #843809 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Thought so, btw I meant NBL teams the anon was bagging Trist for bouncing around the NBL between teams but at least he's in demand enough to bounce around the NBL.

Reply #843810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Arguing over who is better Trist and Jois.
Both spuds.

Reply #843815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ I wasn't aware Venky was of Indian heritage but nevertheless, definitely not the first Indian.
Amritpal Singh played for the Kings in 2017/18

And Eban Hyams played before that

Reply #843820 | Report this post

jordan glossop  
Years ago

Eban Hyams was likely the first player of Indian descent. Still a great athlete and player, should be killing it in NBL1, unsure of what he is doing, another one of my success stories however

Glossop out

Reply #843828 | Report this post

Orange Army  
Years ago

So is Venky an import or a local player?
Taipans are on the lookout for Aussies for the next season.

Reply #843830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is an Aussie you Gronk.

Reply #843832 | Report this post

SB.1  
Years ago

Anyone got any news on Creek's court hearing this morning?

Reply #843834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong thread clown ^.

Reply #843837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This moves the NEEDLE if it was the NBL1

Reply #843842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek be getting that #justice

Reply #843843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Orange Army has had too much Agent Orange.

Reply #843845 | Report this post

jordan glossop  
Years ago

Lets go Venky!!!!! He has been working out with my main man J Law, Jordan Lawley, jlawbball, so you know he be getting in that work

Glossop out

Reply #843868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still don't know if this is a pisstake of Glossop or not

Reply #843899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to tell if it's Glossop. Can’t tell if this poster has a shirt on or not?

Reply #844092 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754