Curtley
Years ago

Kai Sotto to 36ers

This is great news for the NBL IMO

http://aussiehoopla.com/adelaide-36ers-sign-fillipino-nba-prospect-kai-sotto/?fbclid=IwAR0JURtr-cgMAdLoU3E8U9HuGGteIXwOiW2DvVcsfoEO4lm2gzhhmbgBP5U

- Good for Phillipines/Australia basketball relations,
- Good for NBL's standing in Asia region as stepping stone to NBA,
- Good for Australian Filipino community

Would the 36ers hold onto DJ and Humphries with this signing?

Topic #48397 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide doesn't have a huge Filipino community - Sydney on the other hand has approximately 150,000.

Reply #843847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a backup c behind those guys.

Reply #843848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love this.

Great skill and coordination for a 7'2 guy. Very soft and needs to improve physically though.

Reply #843852 | Report this post

NBL MAN  
Years ago

Does Humprhries even have a contract for next year ( summer league maybe) g league

Reply #843853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sell 200,000 Sixers jerseys easy

Reply #843854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent signing. 7ft 2, we going back to huge centers again? Iverson shows the advantage the big boys have in the key if opposition center isn't going to shoot.

Reply #843855 | Report this post

Sotto Fan  
Years ago

Adelaide has a very big Filo community. Welcome Kai, can't wait to watch him in action

Reply #843856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't see this as anything other than a win, win for Adelaide and the league. What’s there to lose, you can’t teach height and at 7’ 2" that’s tall even in nba standards. If it doesn’t work so what, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Well done Sixers, let’s see where this lands, could be a good buy out price if goes to nba.

Reply #843857 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Congrats Adelaide on this move.
Able to do it as an Asian exception and help develop Sotto.
Two years begin next season with an option for a third.

Reply #843858 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Are people going to put any respect on JVG name for a signing like this???

Reply #843859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a cash grab, every team was interested.

Reply #843860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep Brandon Paul & Humphires for next season. Sotto back up big to Humphgries & DJ. Get a gun import point (team first) to replace Giddey & that's a top 4 finish.

Reply #843861 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How do u know every team was interested? I'm sure if a Melbourne team was interested there is a better chance of him going there then Adelaide?

Reply #843862 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

2021/22

Import
Dech
Paul or new import.
DJ
Humphries

Mudronja
?
McVeigh?
Pinder ?
Sotto.

Reply #843863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harris sg?

Reply #843864 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Impressive move by Adelaide

Reply #843865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Promo signing for Asian interest. If he develops will be gone in an instant and Sixers will get bugger all out of it.

Reply #843866 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Kid looks legit but being 18 will be interesting to see how he adapts.
Can shoot, has some handles too, just need to see what he's got in the paint.

college would have been his best path imo but he can't qualify for D1 now. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets picked up after summer league and stashed in Adelaide for a year or 2 before call up.

Reply #843867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kid can't play and will add nothing to the 36er's

Its disappointing the NBL try and sell themselves to the perceived highest bidder or grab at cash in the short term rathe than building an Australian Product with Australian kids.

No wonder nobody watches

Reply #843869 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Very shrewd signing by JVG, he's starting to turn around my thoughts of him with the signings of this kid, Giddey, Humphries and even Dech. Pinder seems to be starting to find his footing.

I assume we had to give the kid a 3 year deal to lock him up now even though he won't be joining the team until next season. 18 years old, 7'2" the kid could be anything just hopefully not another Sam Harris who couldn't get on the floor with us.

Reply #843870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl need a Korean prospect next and that young Japanese guard prospect.

Reply #843871 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

For those obsessed with only south Australian talent.
How many 18/19yo 7 footers are able to step into a roster spot.

Reply #843872 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

@866

Adelaide have 34k following on Instagram

Sotto alone has 252k. More than every club and 100k more than the official nbl page.

It's a new age for exposure, Adelaide and the nbl have a lot to gain if they can play it right. Philippines is basketball mad.

Reply #843873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubt following United's lead on Baba. So no, not revolutionary, but the marketing department will love it.

Reply #843876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Derrick michael indonesia maybe

Reply #843877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

400,000 posts on all platforms in 2hrs

Reply #843879 | Report this post

Sixers  
Years ago

"Sam Harris who couldn't get on the floor with us"

Only reason he couldn't get on the court was because Clarke is a shit coach

Reply #843881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import
Dech
Paul or new import.
DJ
Humphries

Mudronja
Harris ?
McVeigh?
Pinder ?
Sotto

Guard ?
Hulland

Reply #843884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much does NBL.TV cost outside of Australia? Is that the only way the Phillipines fans would be able to watch each game?

Reply #843885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#869. Lol, go back to your cave, you will be safer there.

Reply #843886 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

He couldn't go to Sydney.

Reply #843887 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nice work, 6ers

Reply #843888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great move 36ers for On and Off the court.

Reply #843889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea starting to build a nice team

Assuming only 2 imports and we can have 11 guys with the asian player being an additional player much like next stars are

My team trying to be realistic with budgets and who is available

Roberson
Dech
Newbill
DJ
Humphries

Mudronja
Isaac White or Sam McDaniel
McVeigh
Pinder
Vodanovich or Ogilvy

Sotto

Reply #843890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As if the nbl didn't have enough on their plate when it came to the decals!!!

Reply #843896 | Report this post

AndrewB  
Years ago

Massive work by JVG and Grant Kelley. The club is heading in an amazing direction. This is win both on and off the court and the 36ers are going to be seen as the club of choice. The AEC will be a full house next season. All we have to do is confiscate Josh Giddey's passport!!!!

Reply #843901 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This will increase social media clicks but not wins.

Reply #843904 | Report this post

AndrewB  
Years ago

Hey Anonymous

You're kidding writing this sort of crap aren't you?

Anonymous
A couple of hours ago

Kid can't play and will add nothing to the 36er's

Its disappointing the NBL try and sell themselves to the perceived highest bidder or grab at cash in the short term rathe than building an Australian Product with Australian kids.

No wonder nobody watches

Reply #843905 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Its disappointing the NBL try and sell themselves to the perceived highest bidder or grab at cash in the short term rathe than building an Australian Product with Australian kids.

No wonder nobody watches"

You cant see the Australian kids out there? LOL. How dumb is this comment!?!

"
Adelaide have 34k following on Instagram

Sotto alone has 252k. More than every club and 100k more than the official nbl page.

It's a new age for exposure, Adelaide and the nbl have a lot to gain if they can play it right. Philippines is basketball mad."

^^^^ This. It's LaMelo on a smaller scale.

-----

As for what this kid will bring on court, well.. he's an 18 year old kid. I think we've been spoiled lately with the LaMelos and Giddeys of the world. But he's extremely tall, long, and very mobile. If he puts some size on his frame he has every chance to develop into something. SIZE DOES NOT GROW ON TREES!

It's a good signing. I've seen far less promising prospects come over without so much as an eye bat from anyone. I don't know why people are counting this kid out already.

Reply #843908 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

400,000 posts on all platforms in 2hrs

Can I ask where you got this information from? (I don't doubt you, just curious)

How much does NBL.TV cost outside of Australia? Is that the only way the Phillipines fans would be able to watch each game?

Great question

Reply #843912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love this move for Adelaide.

The boy will need to get stronger but appears quite skilled.

Reply #843914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Philippines is a nation of over 100 million and I understand their favourite sport is basketball. This could be good for increasing interest in the NBL.

Reply #843931 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Needs to play before we armchair critics can judge.

Would give more than old man Jervis and more than Hulland or Purchase.

Reply #843935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boxing and basketball are Philippines favourite sports, this is fantastic news.

He will have to get stronger, he's 18 but he’s going to be hard to stop above the ring already.

Reply #843946 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

As for what this kid will bring on court, well.. he's an 18 year old kid. I think we've been spoiled lately with the LaMelos and Giddeys of the world. But he's extremely tall, long, and very mobile. If he puts some size on his frame he has every chance to develop into something. SIZE DOES NOT GROW ON TREES!

^ Spot on and it's not just his size that is intriguing. He is very skilled for his age

Reply #843977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtjHnZyAAOM

Reply #843987 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The only thing JvG seems to be good at so far with the Sixers is signing 18 year olds, which doesn't absolve him from all the bad recruiting choices he has made.

Reply #844001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is no better than pinder. But I do like how they are pushing for Asian players in the NBL. It can only grow the league as a whole. Kid will be lucky to get spot minutes, basically will be another Terry li but over 7ft tall.

Reply #844055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is he classed as a ns

Reply #844082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Srp local

Reply #844083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a good thing the NBL is going after some of the better Asian players. It creates exposure, some hype, maybe some sponsorship $. There are also some good Asian players, like Baba, that may make more $ in Asia, but will never become the best they can be, including the NBA. I think the NBL has proven its a legit path to the NBA now and if we can attract 2-3 good Asian players - Baba types at least, not the bloke that warmed the bench in Brisbane - it will be good for everyone. There are not many Aussie or Kiwi kids who can do some of the stuff Baba pulls off.

Reply #844085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoNJqarrPsE

Reply #844087 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Has anything been said about the timing of next season? Will it be October as usual with a very short gap or more of the same with a Jan start? Not sure they want to compete against AFL etc long term again.
Was hoping they go back to 3 imports again too. Guess wait and see.

Reply #844123 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's planned for October.

Reply #844128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was about to say tfg KR isn't involved in this thread. Opps.

"What's there to lose, you can’t teach height and at 7’ 2" that’s tall even in nba standards." So how good is 7'2" if he's not in the NBA now?

Reply #844150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG and Kelley high giving each other now, but wait until he ends up playing like Pinder and they'll be distancing themselves again.

Reply #844155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG and Kelley!!! How embarrassing is it when jvg blows wind up Kelley's ass just to keep his job anfyet delivering two non finals seasons !

Reply #844156 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I was about to say tfg KR isn't involved in this thread. Opps.

"What's there to lose, you can't teach height and at 7’ 2" that’s tall even in nba standards." So how good is 7'2" if he's not in the NBA now?
Yeah, shame on me for contributing facts to the thread instead of just whining about other posters.

Let's ruin the thread some more, this is fun: He's not eligible for the NBA draft until 2022.

Reply #844157 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"There are not many Aussie or Kiwi kids who can do some of the stuff Baba pulls off."

Yeah, that's exactly it. Some posters are like "Waaah, but muh Australian talent!" Let's be real, 99.9 percent of the Aussie kids at the end of NBL benches aren't going to turn into anything. That's the hard and fast truth of it. And while you still have guys like Brendan Teys putting on a jersey you easily have the space to throw in some genuinely talented prospects from elsewhere without impacting "muh Australian talent" too harshly.

The NBL is an entertainment product with a secondary obligation to developing Australian talent. Part of developing Australian talent is by bringing about the conditions whereby Australian players have to improve. Part of bringing about those conditions is bringing in foreign players that improve the level of the competition. And even if bringing in Sotto doesn't directly improve the competition, bringing in guys who genuine NBA prospects mean other top-line guys will come here, which improves the level of competition, and by extension, improves Australian players.

But no... let's just have an "Australian product" without imports and bore ourselves to death with that, shall we?

Reply #844164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stick with your Doctoring KR.

Reply #844207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baba's quickness has definitely made the elite guards like Cotton and Webster uncomfortable at times. His finishing at the rim in transition is often NBA quality. At training I'm sure he has pushed Ili and Short. Ili and Short will then get better and push other players in domestic leagues. Those local juniors then get better. There is definitely a place for Next Stars and Asia / Oceania locals like Baba and Tai Wesley provided they are at a level that they can contribute.

Reply #844211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teys and Kevin White still rotation players. That would suggest there's room for some international players

Reply #844327 | Report this post

Creekworld  
Years ago

Trist, Venky Jois, Jervis, Lo Buluk , Dillon, Mudronja, J Bairstow all collecting money as pro ballers.

Give me Sotto instead.

Reply #844332 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Sotto has already made a mark in the NBL. Check out all the NBL pages right now, Philos EVERYWHERE. They're annoying as hell, and completely deluded about their place in world basketball, but they're eyeballs and potential revenue all the same.

Reply #844365 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Remember Boomers v Philippines fight lol

Reply #844372 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I remember Carl the dumb deluded Filo gracing us with his presence after the infamous brawl. Hopefully they stick to social media rather than this forum.

Reply #844386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I kind of miss that Carl guy. It was the first time ever people were arguing with someone annoying not called koberulz or LV.

Reply #844442 | Report this post

Carl  
Years ago

still here on a nightswatch. hahaha. The F I'm not even a Fili. Chill down mate. love carl. :)

Reply #844461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if it's a long term contract, there isn't and NBA out clause in there?

Reply #844464 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Do you think Philippines will ever be good enough to progress beyond thuggery to playing actual basketball Carl?

While Boomers were smacking them metaphorically via the scoreboard as most countries would, they decided to get into actually physically smacking opposition!

Many of us have dreamed to do that to Goulding, nobody expected it to actually happen....

Reply #844471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All standard Australian contracts have nba out clause, normally with a reasonable amount going to the club the player is with. If Sotto ends up going to nba early, Sixers should get a reasonable pay out.

Filipinos are extremely nice people as a whole, let's not pidgin hole all all filos because of one nasty incident a few years back. I’m hoping this bloke ends up a star.

Reply #844478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't an Aussie bloke start that fight?

Reply #844480 | Report this post

Carl  
Years ago

KET I actually the only chance they can be a decent basketball country is for the Hagop rule to relax so they can farm all the fil-am guys and play for them. Other than it will take them 10 more years to be competitive against australia.

As for australia smacking I don't give sh1t since the only real deal in in Asia is Japan as of now. Smashing Filo in basketball is like smashing australia in soccer by euro and south american team.

Idk about goulding I don’t hate the guy he’s a flapper he do dirty work for the team if you’re familiar with american basketball he’s like greyson allen, bruce bowen type of player. What is alarming is Kickhurt the son of B doesn’t matter if it’s filo or not he doesn’t need to sucker punch someone like that. Even in NFL it’s below the belt.

-Carl

Reply #844481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When have they ever signed a player mid season for the next season & his jersey is already for sale ?

C'mon NBL don’t make it any more obvious of using the kid for more clout & money grab before he evens step foot in Aussie land

Reply #844565 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"How much does NBL.TV cost outside of Australia?"

Why not just watch for free via Twitch? Better streaming video interface, too.

Reply #844602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can see Sotto being a taller version of DJ, and with that frame, probably a worse defender which is scary. Hopefully the coaching staff have spoken to his handlers and it will be a development season and try and pack on some weight and strength. Read that he models his game after Pau Gasol so that sounds interesting. If he can play around 15-20 minutes and provide some scoring and weakside blocks I'm sure NBA teams will pick him as a prospect, especially if he can hit 3s.
But what is the club trying to do in building team with just really odd picks that don't seem to mesh together. Been critical of Henry, but would be hard trying to sort out a jigsaw of ill fitting pieces. Kudos for the Sotto and Giddey signings and if Humphries hadn't been injured, that was another good signing but paid a lot to get him. It nearly seems like they are patting selves on back with signing some really good young talent and then don't worry about the rest of the team.

Reply #844648 | Report this post

Robert Daworski  
Years ago

I likened this signage.

I am fan of Philippines and Philippine basketball, even if I still do not much like that guys Danielle Kickit still for what he's done to the infamous game few years go.

Kai gotta very nice skyhooker and can easily be like a Hakeem Abdul Jabbar down there in the aussie league.

He will just need some practice on the tree point shots and then who knows, he can be like a Steph Curry/Brian Ostertag hybrids. Matchup problem for anyone!

Laban Filipino!

Reply #845713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think an nbl teamshould get kouname. I think his sealing is higher than Sotto. Would be a good 3rd-4th big option
Counts as a local,too.

http://www.fiba.basketball/asiacup/2021/qualifiers/player/Kakou-Ange-Franck-Williams-Kouame

Reply #854651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looked solid in first 2 games v korea. Ot bad since he hasn't played at fiba level.

Reply #854655 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"Kai gotta very nice skyhooker and can easily be like a Hakeem Abdul Jabbar down there in the aussie league.

He will just need some practice on the tree point shots and then who knows, he can be like a Steph Curry/Brian Ostertag hybrids. Matchup problem for anyone!"

Haha, if he plays like Hakeem Abdul Jabbar with a Dream Shake and shoots threes like Steph Curry, its championship time for the Sixers! :D

p.s. the less said about a Curry/ Ostertag hybrid the better!

Reply #854705 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:21 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754