Anonymous
Years ago

Charges against Mitch creek dropped

ABC News has reported this

Does this mean a lot of us were too quick to jump to conclusions that he should be kept off the court etc

Topic #48399 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Nope, means he should be rejoining the team today.

Reply #843906 | Report this post

Europa46  
Years ago

And the boos over the city of Wollongong are replaced with... oh damn he ain't never signing here.

Reply #843907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess the old adage about innocent until proven guilty has played out here

Reply #843909 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

A dropping of a charge isn't an acknowledgement of innocence just as it isn't of guilt. Gonna have to put an asterisk next to this one because we likely will never know. Just gotta hope IF he did what he's accused of, what he's learned an extremely valuable lesson and will move ahead in the world far more mindfully.

Reply #843910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek should sue the NBL and SEM for standing him down!

I'd be going after any sponsor that dropped him as well

Reply #843913 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Creek can try sue whoever he likes. Best of luck to him. Let's see what he does (my guess - nothing).

Reply #843916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are kidding me re the asterisk, he said he wasn't guilty, there obviously wasn’t enough evidence or no evidence as the whole story could have been made up by someone out to get him. This not the nrl where players are regularly on assault chargers. I’m glad his lawyers went into bat for him and he was allowed to play on.

To much trial by media and social media, it’s wrong.

Reply #843917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here come the internet legal experts.

The charges being dropped does not mean he is completely innocent of the alleged crime. They may have been dropped because the victim was unwilling to proceed, or because it was going to be unlikely to get a prosecution because there was no other material evidence.

I'm not trying to say he did it, just that the evidence was never tested and he was never found "not guilty."

Reply #843918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This not the nrl where players are regularly on assault chargers. "

What? You think his innocence has something to do with the sporting code he plays?

Reply #843919 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Why? The police did a four month long investigation and then at the end of it decided there was enough there to charge him and likely gain a conviction in court. Is he going to sue the police too?

What's likely happened is that the girl has decided she doesn't want to go on with it now, for whatever reason but keep in mind most rapes go unreported for this reason because then the alleged victim has their whole life put on show for the public and media over a lengthy period of time which may not even result in a conviction.

Reply #843920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. The alleged victim would have been told that the cross-examination would have been excruciating and upsetting, and she may have chosen not to proceed.

Two things. A woman was hospitalised, and Creek has not been found innocent.

Reply #843922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again it's all speculation, the girl decided not to go on with, where is the proof in that statement. I can say she made it all up, where is the proof in that statement.

Reply #843923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ wrong

All I know is that all the people that posted stuff about Mitch including some things said on hear are going to have a stressful few months ahead of them

Police only investigated one persons version of events to create the charges, when all the facts where presented it was thrown out

Reply #843924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

she was hospitalised??? ba ha ha ha

Reply #843925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no proof in either statement but the statistical likelihood of an assault victim not wanting to proceed is far greater than an assault victim making the story up.

Reply #843926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"when all the facts where presented it was thrown out"

That just isn't true at all. Don't make stuff up to try and sound like you know what you're talking about.

Reply #843927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if seeing creek being allowed to play on affected the decision to drop the charges

Reply #843930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"All I know is that all the people that posted stuff about Mitch including some things said on hear are going to have a stressful few months ahead of them"

Wait, are you seriously suggesting Creek is going to sue people for comments made about him and these people should be shaking in their boots? Hahaha fucking idiot, go and do your homework.

Reply #843932 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

#924 that's not how it works in the real world. A four month long investigation puts paid to that and at the end of it police felt there was enough evidence there to gain a conviction in court. And she presented with serious facial injuries.

Reply #843933 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

2 things could happen.

1. he gets charges with different charges or

2. it gets nvr mentioned again.

either way it's an asterix on him.

also nrl has a no fault stand down policy like they have used with that we belong guy, hence the nbl tried the same thing with creek

Reply #843934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank God there are a few people on here with a brain, not just victim-blaming a**holes. The keyboard experts claiming it must have been "made up" are absolutely full of crap. As others have pointed out, charges being dropped don't mean shit, it's likely it was too stressful to proceed with, NOT because it didn't happen or that Creek is innocent.

Reply #843937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've already seen one dickhead on twitter claim that the charges being dropped mean the accusations were baseless all because the alleged victim wanted 15 mins of fame.

Reply #843938 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Charges dropped against him.
Now he and SEM can focus on the playoffs.

Reply #843939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#937 how the fuck do you know, unless you are the charging officer, you have no idea. The whole story could have been fabricated as a pay back for the relationship break down.

Reply #843941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I bet the same people who are celebrating Creek's "innocence" also think Derek Chauvin got an unfair trial.

Reply #843943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#943 It is obvious Chauvin didn't get a fair trail.

Reply #843944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The whole story could have been fabricated as a pay back for the relationship break down.

Yeah, she totally smashed her own face in to get payback. Dickhead.

Reply #843945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#944 hasn't got a clue about how any of this works.

Reply #843947 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I was one that was in favour of Creek standing down until these matters were dealt with.

Now that the charges have been dropped, there are no charges for Creek to answer.

Let's all move on and focus on the season.

I don't care if Mitch did it or not, I care that the legal matters are closed and no barrier exists.

I do not know the victim's motives for reporting it then dropping it, what this has done is wasted a lot of resources for nothing.

Reply #843948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lovebroker once again comes in with the stupidest comments.

Reply #843949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#947 it's obvious you don't. Watch what happens on appeal when they actually apply the law douche

Reply #843950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL at "payback" comment. Definitely an angry white dude. You really think someone wants "fame" that way? Mate, there are FAR easier ways to get attention. Off you f*ck.

Reply #843951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which laws weren't applied?

When you kneel on someone's neck for 9 minutes and all of your former commanding officers testify against you for not following any sort of protocol, it's a damning way of proving your guilt.

Reply #843952 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't care if Mitch did it or not, I care that the legal matters are closed and no barrier exists.

That's on you LoveBroker, to your great shame.

Without assigning guilt or innocence everyone should care if he did it or not.

Reply #843953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah there is definitely an incel neckbeard in this thread who is one step away from saying she probably deserved it.

Reply #843954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#952 it doesn't prove murder. It proves manslaughter for sure.

Reply #843955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never doubted him for one bit !!! Unlike those who hate and said all that bs he was found innocent now STFU anybody still hating E A D !!!! Hahahah

Reply #843956 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Obvious troll is obvious.

Reply #843957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#956 he was not found innocent at all

Reply #843958 | Report this post

mitchrulz  
Years ago

Time to move on and focus on the on-court stuff. Where Mitch has been excelling.

Reply #843959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"#952 it doesn't prove murder. It proves manslaughter for sure."

You really are just guessing at this stage.

Reply #843960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#960 Ya think Einstein. Maybe go get an education.

Reply #843961 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

That's on you LoveBroker, to your great shame.

Without assigning guilt or innocence everyone should care if he did it or not.

Again I was in favour of due process, to the extent that he stopped representing the NBL/Club until these matters are dealt with in a court of law.

If due process were in operation and he is guilty I would want punishment to the full extent of the law.

Now there's no case to answer. Whether he did it or not is now moot as it isn't going to be heard in court.

Reply #843962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

956 show us where he was found innocent? That's not what happened at all.

Reply #843963 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Whether he did it or not is now moot as it isn't going to be heard in court.
Tell that to the victim.

Reply #843964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" And she presented with serious facial injuries. "

This does not mean that Creek caused those injuries.

I think the NBL should have handled this better but just because the Police charged and then withdrew shouldn't attract speculation that Creek did something wrong or nothing wrong.

Reply #843965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

963 - that isn't what happens with respect to the rule of law mate.

You aren’t proven innocent. You are innocent until proven guilty.

Unfortunately, as is proven in the Creek example people are no longer innocent until proven guilty as a result of media and social media character assassination.

Even when charges are dropped in full by the prosecutors prior to Trial we still have the keyboard warriors saying he is guilty and the alleged "victim" merely did not want to give evidence when there is no evidence whatsoever that this is in fact the case.

Not even the most minor of assault charges of common assault was pursued.

Yet people were quick to character assassinate Mitch and condemn the NBL and SEM Phoenix.

Innocent until proven guilty is an absolute pillar of any good legal system.

Reply #843966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, the fact that this has been dropped, is not great for Creek either. While I'm sure he is relieved, sometimes it’s better to have your day in Court and be found not guilty to clear your name. Even if he has done nothing wrong - which only him and the other party know - the entire episode will hang over him from now on.

Reply #843967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we still have the keyboard warriors saying he is guilty and the alleged "victim" merely did not want to give evidence when there is no evidence whatsoever that this is in fact the case.

No one said he is guilty, they are merely speculating why the charges were suddenly dropped.

Some keyboard warriors are saying she made it up as payback - do you have issues with those comments too?

Reply #843968 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Tell that to the victim.

I would dearly like to ask why the person who dropped the charges chose that option.

I don't know if that was the victim's choice, or the police or DPP.

Reply #843969 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Innocent until proven guilty is an absolute pillar of any good legal system.
Hoops is not a legal system, you blithering idiot.

Also, the fact that this has been dropped, is not great for Creek either.
Yeah, this is 100% the worst possible outcome at this stage.

Reply #843970 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This does not mean that Creek caused those injuries.

No shit, you think the police might've taken that into consideration during their four month long investigation and before deciding to charge him?

Reply #843971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"#960 Ya think Einstein. Maybe go get an education."

OK then, explain where I've gone wrong and how the incorrect laws were applied.

Reply #843972 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Turns out Creek was facing more a lot more charges than initially reported too.

He had been hit with 11 charges relating to November 22, 2020, including that he took a photo or video of a woman's private parts without her consent and injured her.

He was charged with "visually capturing the victim’s (private parts) in circumstances where it would be reasonable for the victim to expect that (they) could not be captured", two counts of recklessly cause injury, one count of intentionally cause injury, one count of cause injury, and six counts of unlawful assault.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/assault-charges-against-nbl-star-mitch-creek-dropped/news-story/72fc2eea3a1a9030ad987643d90a00a3

Reply #843974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA Integrity Unit still investigating the incidents.

Reply #843975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amen 966.

Reply #843976 | Report this post

Rain man  
Years ago

You'll find that if the charges are laid, then the cops can’t drop it because the girl doesn’t want to proceed. In matters of violence they will go ahead with the prosecution regardless. People seem to be looking at too many American movies and thinking that the same legal process applies here.

Most likely the police discovered the defence had evidence they never had, such as text messages, and subsequently dropped the case as it would ruin her report.

Reply #843978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a lot of smoke around this. People who know Creek, know there is some questionable, entitled male athlete behaviour he's prone to, including "Tinder Challenges" which is pretty immature for a man nearly 30.

Unfortunate outcome. Seems like there was a lot more going on.

Reply #843979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rainman, they can't drop it on her say so but if she becomes unwilling to testify then it makes it harder to get a conviction.

Reply #843980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He had been hit with 11 charges relating to November 22, 2020, including that he took a photo or video of a woman's private parts without her consent and injured her.

He was charged with "visually capturing the victim's (private parts) in circumstances where it would be reasonable for the victim to expect that (they) could not be captured", two counts of recklessly cause injury, one count of intentionally cause injury, one count of cause injury, and six counts of unlawful assault."

Gee whiz

Reply #843981 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hopefully the truth has been soughted out.

He can play with a weight off his shoulders

Lets not hear sometime later on that the supposed victim was paid out.

Reply #843982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would have been better for him to go through a trial and be found not guilty. With the current situation there is always going to be an element of doubt of whether he assulted someone or not.

Reply #843983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it was alleged sexual assault as well as physical. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she didn't want to testify

Reply #843984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please see Josh Reynolds incident.

Was arrested and charged with DV and it come out the alleged victim made it all up and had a long history of this behaviour.

She is then rewarded with a spot in reality tv show SAS and 13 different aliases.

Without knowing the facts and evidence you cannot speculate either way.

Reply #843985 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

There's a lot of people with a lot of egg on their faces right now on this forum.

Thankfully I'm not one of them.

Koberulz, take a bow.

Reply #843986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not at all LV. He was not found innocent as you maintained he needed to be all along.

Reply #843988 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There's a lot of people with a lot of egg on their faces right now on this forum.
No, there aren't.

Reply #843989 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And by the way, gloating about this is six steps past declaring him innocent a month ago in terms of shitty behaviour. How self-absorbed do you have to be to hear today's news and have your first thought be "well, this proves how awesome I am"?

Reply #843990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#985 exactly. No one knows what happened..

Reply #843991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering the seriousness of ALL charges, he should have been stood down from the time he was charged and only reinstated today.

The Basketball Australia Code of Conduct does not need to mimic an entire court process as LV erroneously suggested.

Reply #843992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz, his next thought would be about that all Melbourne grand final he wants so desperately, probably so Perth aren't in the GF again. No thoughts given to a woman who suffered serious facial injuries. Great Christian attitude, LV.

Reply #843993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoops.com.au nufties

GUILTY TIL PROVEN INNOCENT!!

Utter morons.

I hope each and everyone of you have a false accusation levelled on you or your kids.

Reply #843994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope your daughter gets belted by a professional athlete.

Reply #843995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes some people act so certain he is guilty even tho they have no evidence whatsoever. That seems a bit sick.

Reply #843996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Innocent. Charges dropped.

Deal with it.

Reply #843997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Charges dropped does not mean innocent, fuckwit.

Reply #843998 | Report this post

Reperio  
Years ago

The best comment of the day: "No one knows what happened."

One could add: other than the parties involved - whomever they may be.

Creek has been the dominant player at his position throughout the season.

Reply #843999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

INNOCENT
FREE
NOT CHARGED
NOT IN JAIL
DEAL

Reply #844000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm putting this out there now, if people continue to infer things about this case that are not true, they will be followed up with the full force possible.

Reply #844005 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, there should definitely be more consequences for people offering their opinions on the internet than for sexually harassing/assaulting someone. Makes total sense.

Reply #844006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure they will.

Reply #844007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek wouldn't even know how to spell IP.

Reply #844008 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The Hoops peanut gallery, led by teenager KR and his emotional outbursts, carried on like Creek was Jack the Ripper before this whole thing even got to the Committal hearing stage.

Now, charges dropped. No case to answer. Legally innocent. And you're still beating the same drum, still refusing to consider the possibility that your comments lacked foresight and humility, illustrating weakness in your suggested approach.

Ideologues are gonna be Ideologues, I suppose.

Reply #844010 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Details of those charges are...disturbing.

Reply #844011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet....thrown out of court

Reply #844012 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Guess that's that, then. Let's see what legal action Mitch pursues.

Reply #844014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hyperbole overload from LV there

Still waiting for the twit to explain why the Chauvin verdict was incorrect.

Reply #844015 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"He was not found innocent"

He wasn't "found" innocent. He IS innocent.

Everyone is innocent. Until or unless they're guilty.

These charges have been dropped.

Creek will forever remain legally innocent of these charges.

That's not my opinion. That's just how this works. Don't shoot the messenger.

If you don't like that, fair enough. Explain why. But don't ignorantly or arrogantly throw shade on those who respectfully disagree.

Reply #844016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on there LV.

Reply #844017 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yet....thrown out of court

No, the charges were withdrawn before it ever got to court.

Reply #844019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But don't ignorantly or arrogantly throw shade on those who respectfully disagree."

You just called koberulz a teenager while miscontruing everything he said but now you demand respectful responses. How about go and fuck yourself!

Reply #844020 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Incorrect, he could be guilty of all 11 charges for all you or I know. At no point has he been found innocent, the charges were withdrawn.

Everyone is innocent. Until or unless they're guilty.

If you rob a bank and never get caught it does not mean you've never robbed a bank.

These things shouldn't need to be explained to you LV, you're old enough to know better than this.

Reply #844021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are innocent until proven guilty. It's very simple really.

To many haters and I’m 100% behind Chauvin being found guilty.

Reply #844022 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Zodiac, 1+1=2

Not 3

Creek is legally innocent

This isn't a matter of opinion.

Reply #844024 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Creek is neither innocent nor guilty.

There are simply no charges for him to plead or be found innocent or guilty.

Whatever processes put in place has ended.

Taking about whether Creek did it or not is just pure speculation and conjecture without the arguments being presented in court.

No there should not be any cloud or asterisk over Creek for all time, I hope the fans of other teams stay classy.

Reply #844025 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Ideologues are gonna be Ideologues, I suppose.
This, coming from LV, is absolutely hilarious.

Not how it works, dude.

Cheers to #020 for saving me the effort of typing that myself.

Here's what we know:
- Mitch Creek has a history of breaking the law
- Mitch Creek has shown a contempt for the enforcement of consequences for said law-breaking
- A woman suffered facial injuries
- The woman alleged Mitch Creek caused those injuries
- False reports of domestic violence happen, but are vanishingly, vanishingly rare
- Police spent months investigating and found enough evidence to prefer charges not just of assault, but of sex crimes as well

Is it possible Creek didn't do it? Sure. Is it likely? Fuck no.

Reply #844026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to be charged to be found innocent

Reply #844027 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[At no point has he been found innocent, the charges were withdrawn.]

Again this is a simple matter of logic

People aren't "found" innocent. This is just a misnomer, like saying a square is a circle.

People are presumed innocent until or unless they are found guilty.

These charges are dropped, therefore Creek will forever remain what he already was, legally innocent.

Reply #844028 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You don't get found innocent if you're charged, either. You get found either guilty or not guilty. "Not guilty" doesn't mean "didn't do it", it means "prosecution did not sufficiently prove their case".

Reply #844029 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Legally innocent of these charges, that is.

Reply #844030 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Is it possible Creek didn't do it? Sure. Is it likely? Fuck no.]

This gets back to the discussion in the previous thread, where you went m berserk at the mere questioning your simple black and white thinking here.

So I'll stop there. No point treading back over old ground when you've already proven yourself either or unwilling to think beyond the confines of your ideology.

Reply #844032 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"It's possible for either outcome to be true" is black and white thinking, now?

Fuck outta here.

Reply #844034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV, a few posts ago you asked people to respectfully engage if they disagree with your views. Koberulz just did that but your first reaction is to call him an ideologue again. Maybe it's you who is unwilling to listen if that's going to be your immediate reaction.

Reply #844035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saying "not proven guilty = innocent" is the very definition of black and white thinking.

Reply #844036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Respectfully LV, if you came home and found Creek in your bed fucking your wife, which side would you jump in on?

Reply #844037 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

KR: [Is it possible Creek didn't do it? Sure. Is it likely? Fuck no.]

KR: [It's possible for either outcome to be true" is black and white thinking, now?

Fuck outta here.]

"Did it?

What does "did it" mean, exactly?

Enlighten us.

Reply #844038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" No shit, you think the police might've taken that into consideration during their four month long investigation and before deciding to charge him?"

They would have made their decision based on the admissible evidence available to them at that time. If different evidence became available later or something made them think that the evidence they had earlier was no longer reliable or cogent then that may have changed their thinking and contributed, in whole or part, in them dropping the prosecution. It happens more frequently than you may think. If Police got it right 100% of the time you'd see 100% successful prosecutions and/or no need for a Court process at all.

Reply #844039 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Did it?

What does "did it" mean, exactly?
Which part of that phrase do you find ambiguous?

Reply #844040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#039 that's what many of us have been suggesting. The initial evidence may no longer be supported by the alleged victim because she didn't want to go through with the court case.

Reply #844041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just putting that out here... there's generally a reason why the prosecution applies to have charges withdrawn.

Reply #844042 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The victim is quoted in The Age as being disappointed with the withdrawal of charges, which makes it unlikely she withdrew her co-operation.

Reply #844043 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

there's generally a reason why the prosecution applies to have charges withdrawn.
And there's generally a reason why the prosecution prefers charges in the first place, too.

Reply #844044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" If you rob a bank and never get caught it does not mean you've never robbed a bank."

You are right. But until you are prosecuted and tried, usually before your peers, you are innocent in the eyes of the law. This is the golden thread of English criminal law.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolmington_v_DPP

In this matter, Creek has not been prosecuted and he has not been found guilty. For us to speculate what he did or didn't do, based on charges that have since been withdrawn, is foolish. Similarly, to speculate about the victim and her motives, is also foolish and bordering on defamatory.

The real problem, in my opinion, is the way the NBL dealt with it and the subsequent backflip. I hope they implement policy to be clear what will happen in the event something like this happens again.

Reply #844045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I cant find the article online KR. Do you have a link?

Reply #844046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never mind, found it

Reply #844047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" You don't get found innocent if you're charged, either. You get found either guilty or not guilty. "Not guilty" doesn't mean "didn't do it", it means "prosecution did not sufficiently prove their case"."

Thank you. I was about to have a seizure reading both pro-Creek and anti-Creek groups misunderstanding the criminal law process.

Reply #844048 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The real problem, in my opinion, is the way the NBL dealt with it and the subsequent backflip. I hope they implement policy to be clear what will happen in the event something like this happens again.
Another unfortunate consequence of charges being dropped: the ABPA has another excuse to kick the can down the road. This hanging over the entire season would've been more likely to produce some action on that front.

I cant find the article online KR. Do you have a link?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/basketballer-mitch-creek-has-assault-charges-withdrawn-20210421-p57l66.html
The woman said in a statement to The Age: "I am hurt and disappointed with the decision of the prosecutor in today's hearing.

“No wonder women don’t come forward in these situations, but I suppose that’s a me problem."

Reply #844050 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The victim being disappointed makes it likely that the police dropped charges because of a lack of evidence

Or they doubted her credibility.

If you have a co-operating, highly credible witness and solid evidence, why else would a case be withdrawn?

She was co-operating and wanted it to proceed, it seems.

Which suggests the problem was with the other stuff.

Reply #844051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" #039 that's what many of us have been suggesting. The initial evidence may no longer be supported by the alleged victim because she didn't want to go through with the court case."

I think some people are putting too much weight on that likely being the case. Reading between the lines of the NBL reinstating Creek and koberulz comment that the victim is disappointed the charges have been withdrawn suggests that this wasn't the victim not wanting to go through with things, but rather there is something else that has swayed the prosecution to drop the charges.

From memory, there was to be a hearing about now. Out of curiosity, did the prosecution drop the charges before or after that hearing?

Reply #844053 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The victim being disappointed makes it likely that the police dropped charges because of a lack of evidence
The fact that charges were brought suggests otherwise, especially after such a long investigation.

This whole situation makes absolutely no sense, and it going to trial would have been a far better outcome for all involved.

Reply #844054 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Reading between the lines of the NBL reinstating Creek
That isn't evidence of anything to do with the case, that's just evidence that the ABPA is terrible.

From memory, there was to be a hearing about now. Out of curiosity, did the prosecution drop the charges before or after that hearing?
I now regret responding to you at all, given you clearly haven't bothered to read anything about what's going on.

They dropped the charges at the hearing. It's in literally every article about this development. As is the fact that Creek wore a white shirt, for some reason.

Reply #844056 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[This whole situation makes absolutely no sense, and it going to trial would have been a far better outcome for all involved.]

It makes no sense to you because you're entire thinking is shrouded in strongly held, pre existing ideology

This has been obvious throughout all of your comments on this issue from day one.

Reply #844057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It could be as simple as one person's word against another. I've been both the accused and the victim in assault situations, both got dismissed because it came down to having zero evidence meaning getting a conviction was very unlikely and the process stopped.

They charged with LV counts, LV. They don't do that unless she is credible, particularly over a timeframe of four months.

Thankfully these police took the allegations seriously and saw the process through as best they could. I can only imagine what the outcome would have been if it were left up to the Melbourne sporting fanbase.

Reply #844059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*with 11 counts, LV

Reply #844061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KR - just curious, have you heard the rumours about what happened in the situation? Not asking you to say the rumours, but wondering if you have heard what allegedly occurred.

Reply #844062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What ideology does koberulz have here?

Reply #844063 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

*with 11 counts, LV
Was gonna say, you seem to have accidentally multiplied by 5.

KR - just curious, have you heard the rumours about what happened in the situation? Not asking you to say the rumours, but wondering if you have heard what allegedly occurred.
I've seen what's been reported in the media, and what's been said on here.

Reply #844066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rumour is he punched the shit out her, then took pictures of her snatch. Or vice versa.

Reply #844068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" now regret responding to you at all, given you clearly haven't bothered to read anything about what's going on."

I am geoblocked from accessing Australian news from my current location even after VPN.

Given that they've dropped the charges at the hearing suggests that, in my experience, someone on the prosecution side jumped too early to lay charges OR evidence turned up that made the prosecution untenable. I would have also suggested a private settlement or the women’s personal testimony being critical to a successful prosecution being withdrawn, but given her comments on record either of these are not possible. Given the NBL and the prosecution did a serious U turn, in my opinion there must have either been exonerating evidence that came up late in favour of Creek or evidence that cast serious doubt about the victim’s allegations.

Reply #844069 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Given the NBL and the prosecution did a serious U turn
Again, the NBL U-turn means nothing. They didn't have the power to suspend him.

Reply #844071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The victim being disappointed makes it likely that the police dropped charges because of a lack of evidence"

Police wouldn't have pressed charges unless they had enough evidence to at least try to prosecute. If they had insufficient evidence to make a decent prosecution case, it would just be thrown out at a preliminary stage and the prosecutor would look like Daniel Johnson trying to play defence: useless.

Something has changed at some point. That change is broadly in Creek’s favour. I am, however, surprised that the prosecution hasn’t commented at all on their reasons given the publicity surrounding the case.

Reply #844072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Such a long investigation".

FYI - the average time period for a criminal investigation is around 120 days give or take. So your long investigation was about on par with the average.

Bottom line - legally innocent. We don't know what happened or if there is anything of concern.

I say this because I personally know of a case where someone was charged and they later had to be dropped because the events alleged did not happen at all, and another where the events were completely misconstrued.

We simply don’t know, his reputation is shot regardless now as a result.

Reply #844073 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If we use our imaginations there are many possibilities around what played out.

And needless to say, they aren't all morally equivalent as far as Creek's involvement and the extent of malevolence in his actions.

Still, contemplating this requires deeper thinking than many here are willing to do.

Ultimately we'll never know.

Reply #844074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Again, the NBL U-turn means nothing. They didn't have the power to suspend him."

They may not have had a legal basis, but if the case was strong enough they would have worked with SEM to at least stand him down or informally made it impossible for him to play. The fact that they didn't doesn’t pass the sniff test: to me, they did not think these charges would stick and stuck by Creek even given his history. In recent times, the Breakers have suspended Glen Rice Jnr and not suspended Corey Webster when those players have faced charges. I think the player’s side of the story does have weight, and the NBL and SEM felt that the charges weren’t strong. Otherwise, legal basis or not, Creek would not be playing.

Reply #844076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Still, contemplating this requires deeper thinking than many here are willing to do."

This coming from the guy who thinks "legal innocence" is the only end result imaginable.

Reply #844077 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

if the case was strong enough they would have worked with SEM to at least stand him down or informally made it impossible for him to play.
If the NBL had any idea how strong the case was, then somebody needs to be fired.

Reply #844078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The BA Integrity Unit still has options but are limited in what info they will get to warrant any further punishment

Reply #844079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I should have said, if the NBL perceived that the case was strong enough based on the information available to them. Much of that would have been based on the information that Creek and his legal team would have disclosed. I am sure they would have provided information to SEM management at least about their side of the story, including evidence or witnesses they may have, which may have also consisted of other SEM players or staff. This is all conjecture, of course, and just an attempt to understand why the prosecution dropped the case. But it is not a small matter for them to do so.

Reply #844080 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Much of that would have been based on the information that Creek and his legal team would have disclosed.
If Creek's lawyers disclosed, or allowed Creek to disclose, anything about the case, they're incompetent.

If the NBL took Creek, or Creek's lawyers, at their word, they're incompetent.

All that happened was that the NBL tried to do the right thing, realised they didn't have a legal basis for it, and gave up. The ABPA knocked back a stand-down policy less than a year ago.

Reply #844084 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

One strange quirk in the whole sad tale was why SEM never started him over that recent period.

Reply #844088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Somehow, every Hoops discussion ends up in a LV and/or koberulz black hole where those two individuals think that they're undeniably correct.

Reply #844089 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Whoever wins, we lose.

Reply #844090 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[They charged with 11 counts, LV. They don't do that unless she is credible, particularly over a timeframe of four months.

Thankfully these police took the allegations seriously and saw the process through as best they could. ]

Clearly, further information came to light over the past month, or today, that cast doubt on the likelihood of a successful prosecution.

What that information was, who knows.

It may not be anything that caused the police to doubt her credibility. It may well have been something that arose from the defense side.

We have very little real information to go off.

But of course that didn't stop the sanctimonious, the easily outraged and the Ideologues from jumping to all kinds of conclusions, and today doubling down with lunacy about how he hasn't been "found" innocent, whatever that's supposed to mean.

Reply #844091 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I should say, we have very few details. Just a broad outline from which we could endlessly speculate.

Reply #844093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop saying ideologues when you can't even explain what the word means.

Reply #844094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Clearly, further information came to light over the past month, or today, that cast doubt on the likelihood of a successful prosecution.

What that information was, who knows.

It may not be anything that caused the police to doubt her credibility. It may well have been something that arose from the defense side.

We have very little real information to go off.

But of course that didn't stop the sanctimonious, the easily outraged and the Ideologues from jumping to all kinds of conclusions, and today doubling down with lunacy about how he hasn't been "found" innocent, whatever that's supposed to mean. "

You were the one who speculated that she wasn't credible. Is your ideology that of toxic masculinity where women need to know their roles in the home and society?

Reply #844095 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[You were the one who speculated that she wasn't credible. Is your ideology that of toxic masculinity where women need to know their roles in the home and society?]

I suggested that was one possibility for the withdrawal of charges, which it is.

As is a lack of evidence. Potentially because it conflicts with newly found evidence or information from the defense.

Basically we now know the police had a reduced confidence in the likelihood that the evidence would result in a conviction.

Reply #844096 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"Toxic masculinity" is just an overrated buzzword

Let's keep this to a genuine discussion about Mitch Creek, not some concepts that are popular in university gender studies departments

Reply #844097 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, let's discuss the basketball and not the actual fucking problem.

Reply #844098 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And you wonder why I called you a teenager.....

Reply #844099 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, because university departments are famously run by teenagers.

How did "that's something people who have studied this extensively think" become a rebuttal? What are we doing as a society that that makes any sense to people?

Reply #844100 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The only reason any of us are discussing this, and In fact the only reason any of us have heard of this, is because Mitch Creek is a famous basketball player that we all know

DV is a scourge on society (one of many) but one needn't promote their credentials in calling out DV before having a discussion about a case relating to a bball player on a bball forum, you petulant, potty mouthed child!

Reply #844101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Toxic masculinity" is just an overrated buzzword

Let's keep this to a genuine discussion about Mitch Creek, not some concepts that are popular in university gender studies departments"

You were the one who suggested she may lack credibility, then you went on to say no one else should speculate as to why the charges were dropped. My assumption is that you're OK with criticism towards the alleged female victim, but not against the male athlete whose balls you want to fondle.

If there is another term for toxic masculinity you'd prefer me to use, let me know.

Reply #844103 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

DV is a scourge on society (one of many) but one needn't promote their credentials in calling out DV before having a discussion about a case relating to a bball player on a bball forum, you petulant, potty mouthed child!
Ah, yes, the reasoned discourse you asked for.

Reply #844104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"DV is a scourge on society (one of many) but one needn't promote their credentials in calling out DV before having a discussion about a case relating to a bball player on a bball forum, you petulant, potty mouthed child!"

What is wrong with you?? You have completely failed to make any salient point in this thread, you are demanding a certain behaviour by others which you don't abide by yourself, and you also demand the subject be changed when an argument gets too close to the crux of the matter. Throw in some ridiculous ad hominem arguments and I'm absolutely baffles why you're even bothering to type words for others to read.

Reply #844106 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[How did "that's something people who have studied this extensively think" become a rebuttal? ]

Firstly, toxic masculinity is mentioned far more prominently on social media than in real life. If and when that changes, normal people will start taking it seriously.

University departments are run by people with homogenous biases that are unrepresentative of society. This is why universities are full of people who operate within siloes where group think is more prominent than true critical thinking.

Any new concepts should have a healthy scepticism applied until they've been proven to be useful over a long period of time. After they've been checked out from every angle possible.

You might realise this as you get older, KR

Reply #844108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV has just jumped the shark.

Reply #844109 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Firstly, toxic masculinity is mentioned far more prominently on social media than in real life.
What on earth are you talking about? Social media is real life. It doesn't stop counting just because it's social media. And outside of social media, I'm not sure where you're expecting to encounter it...people not using the phrase when you're listening doesn't mean they're not using the phrase.

University departments are run by people with homogenous biases that are unrepresentative of society.
Or, as other people call it, "knowledge".

Any new concepts should have a healthy scepticism applied until they've been proven to be useful over a long period of time.
What the fuck are you talking about? Who defines "useful"? Why does it need to be proved "over a long period of time"? Oh hey, there's clear evidence of mass injustice, but we've only been working on it for a month so we'd best let more injustices occur over the next few years to improve our dataset. Bullshit.

Reply #844110 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[What is wrong with you?? You have completely failed to make any salient point in this thread, you are demanding a certain behaviour by others which you don't abide by yourself, and you also demand the subject be changed when an argument gets too close to the crux of the matter. Throw in some ridiculous ad hominem arguments and I'm absolutely baffles why you're even bothering to type words for others to read.]

Pick a user name and it might be easier to have a proper discussion

Reply #844111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The hilarious thing here is that LV has not "learned" anything as he's got older because he still decides on a position then talks a whole lot of shit trying to prove it from then on.

Reply #844112 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Social media is real life.]

Hahahahahaha

Reply #844113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahaha and he's just proved my point perfectly. A lack of username apparently means i cant possibly be forming a proper criticism of his terrible arguments....

Reply #844114 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I love you, anon troll! Great entertainment.

Reply #844116 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There's a difference between disagreeing with you and trolling.

Reply #844117 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[University departments are run by people with homogenous biases that are unrepresentative of society.]

[Or, as other people call it, "knowledge".]

Knowledge comes from the science, engineering and business departments.

From the gender studies department we get mostly nonsense rather than knowledge.

Reply #844118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd love to see an NBL boxing promotion for charity. Main event: LV v koberulz.

Reply #844121 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Knowledge comes from the science, engineering and business departments.

From the gender studies department we get mostly nonsense rather than knowledge.
You disagreeing with the conclusions they come to does not make them wrong.

Reply #844122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV is spot on. Creek is legally innocent.

There is no ambiguity. There is no competing argument.

Koberulez is just plain wrong - as he has been the entire time since declaring Creek guilty based on The Age article.

Koberulez - instead of worrying about Creek, what are your thoughts on Michael Jordan agreeing to give a speech at Kobe's Hall of Fame induction?

Should he respectfully decline given according to your logic Kobe is guilty of rape? Maybe you should tweet MJ and give him your advice?

Reply #844124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz, you are constantly on here making comments in areas of expertise in which you have none. Creek is innocent of the crime and it has been dropped. By continuing to claim he is not innocent, then you are defaming him and will only be able to defend an allegation of defamation if you can prove what you are saying is true - which I suggest you cannot". I wish you well with this.

Reply #844125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last warning for those who think it is ok to defame people!

Reply #844126 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Koberulez - instead of worrying about Creek, what are your thoughts on Michael Jordan agreeing to give a speech at Kobe's Hall of Fame induction?
I haven't paid any attention to the NBA in almost a decade, and had no idea it was happening.

according to your logic Kobe is guilty of rape?
Well, that and the fact that he lost in court. Or does court not count now? I'm confused.

Creek is innocent of the crime
You have no way of knowing that.

Last warning for those who think it is ok to defame people!
The only person who has been defamed in this thread is the woman Creek was accused of assaulting.

Reply #844127 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"Last warning for those who think it is ok to defame people!"

OK Mitch, calm down.

Reply #844129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" The only person who has been defamed in this thread is the woman Creek was accused of assaulting."

Yes, she has been defamed.

But, by definition, defamation is a published statement that would cause someone to think less of someone. There are posts here that might cause people to think less of Creek and therefore he may have been defamed too.

Reply #844130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Well, that and the fact that he lost in court. Or does court not count now? I'm confused."

If you're talking about the 2003 sexual assault case, Kobe wasn’t found guilty. The criminal charges were dropped and the civil case was settled. He didn’t lose in court though he did issue a public apology.

Reply #844131 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

But, by definition, defamation is a published statement that would cause someone to think less of someone.
Uh, what?

Merriam-Webster:
to harm the reputation of by communicating false statements about : to harm the reputation of by libel (see libel entry 1 sense 2a) or slander (see slander entry 2 sense 2)

Cambridge:
to damage the reputation of a person or group by saying or writing bad things about them that are not true

Reply #844133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yeah, she totally smashed her own face in to get payback. Dickhead."

While I'm not suggesting it's likely because I know nothing about the case, self-destructive behaviour is far more common than you seem to think. I have first-hand experience with someone suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder who behaved exactly in this way. Again, not making any insinuation about the woman in this case, but it is not unreasonable for an outsider to perceive this as possible.

Reply #844134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Does this mean a lot of us were too quick to jump to conclusions that he should be kept off the court etc" Sure does.

Reply #844138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

koberulz, you have cited a dictionary, not the legal test for defamation. The truth element comes in as part of a defence to defamation, not whether the statement itself is defamatory.

In order to determine falsity, you have to prove truth.

You can't prove anything you’ve said about Creek is true.

You also can’t rely on honest opinion because you don’t have a factual basis on which your opinion is based.

Reply #844139 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

koberulz, you have cited a dictionary, not the legal test for defamation. The truth element comes in as part of a defence to defamation, not whether the statement itself is defamatory.
For someone who wants to talk about what words mean, you sure as shit don't seem to understand what words mean.

You can't prove anything you've said about Creek is true.
Of course I can. I can prove every single thing I've said, factually, about Creek. Obviously I can't prove my opinions, because they're opinions, which brings us to...

You also can’t rely on honest opinion because you don’t have a factual basis on which your opinion is based.
Are you illiterate?

Reply #844140 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Seriously Isaac, can we have an LV and koberulz ignore button on here? There's only so much one can take...

Reply #844141 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[You disagreeing with the conclusions they come to does not make them wrong.]

"Right" or "wrong" is a matter of opinion

It's a proven fact that university humanities departments have a far greater degree of ideological homogeneity than most organisations, and the entire field of humanities has much more ideological homogeneity than society at large.

It's a well established issue that ideological conformity reduces the robustness of the processes by which conclusions are reached. It poses a challenge to critical thinking and discussion.

This doesn't mean everything that arises from university humanities lecturers is "wrong" but it means any thoughtful person should exercise a huge degree of scepticism about anything from these fields, instead of clamouring to recognise it as the latest "knowledge".

A great example would be the concept of "toxic masculinity" and what society should do about it.

Reply #844142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sigh. You're right koberulz, I’m wrong. I’ll just look up at my LLB (Hons) on the wall and the published peer review research on media law on the shelf as my consolation that I’m not illiterate.

Reply #844144 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

[You disagreeing with the conclusions they come to does not make them wrong.]

"Right" or "wrong" is a matter of opinion
Are you for real?

It's a proven fact that university humanities departments have a far greater degree of ideological homogeneity than most organisations, and the entire field of humanities has much more ideological homogeneity than society at large.
So does the Catholic Church, what's your point?

"Lots of people believe this, therefore it is wrong" is an absolutely bonkers argument.

A great example would be the concept of "toxic masculinity" and what society should do about it.
Do go on.

Reply #844145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez now we have KR the lawyer. Doctor too. Give me a break. As a basketball I would never want Creek on my team. Clearly toxic.

Reply #844146 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Sigh. You're right koberulz, I'm wrong. I’ll just look up at my LLB (Hons) on the wall and the published peer review research on media law on the shelf as my consolation that I’m not illiterate.
Maybe you should spend less time doing that and more time actually reading my posts.

Reply #844147 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

["Lots of people believe this, therefore it is wrong" is an absolutely bonkers argument.]

For someone who loves calling others illiterate and reaches for the dictionary at every opportunity, you do an incredible job of failing to slow down and understand what's being said, and ultimately missing the point and responding to strawmen.

Reply #844149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Maybe you should spend less time doing that and more time actually reading my posts."

I've read your posts. It’s almost as disastrous as LV. Almost.

Reply #844152 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Well then you'll have no trouble citing specific defamatory claims.

Rule one of defamation claims: vagueness is a hallmark of meritless thuggery.

Reply #844153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulez - whether or not you followed the NBA for many years is irrelevant to the question.

Should Kobe be inducted into the Hall of Fame applying your very own "logic" you applying to the Creek situation?

Is Michael Jordan a disgrace for agreeing to speak at the ceremony?

Just want to understand your logic.

All I can come up with is you like Kobe (in fact he rules) but you don't like Creek.

Explain to me how I am wrong and it’s not just your personal bias impacting your logic. Explain how you aren’t a hypocrite. Explain that you weren’t too quick to judge and demonstrated great arrogance that Mitch was definitely guilty when you have no way of knowing what actually happened.

You posted on countless occasions that those merely pointing out innocent until proven guilty were wrong.

In the same way you generalised and guessed that Mitch was guilty on the back of an Age article describing a criminal investigation it can be thrown back to you by way of an educated generalisation that no doubt a very experienced team of legal prosecutors had examined all the evidence from both sides and decided they had no prospect at all to prove even the most minor of charges.

Surely you appreciate that merely saying “I don’t know much about the Kobe case” isn’t an answer to my allegation that you are a biased hypocrite.

Reply #844159 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

I'm putting money on that LV and KR are in actual fact Isaac! ;P Best marketing is always about creating drama that polarizes or divides.

Bravo Isaac, bravo! ;)

Reply #844160 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dribble dribble dribble ....less dribble... pass pass pass....think take a pass ...

Reply #844162 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If you don't see the difference between something happening right now where the accused faced zero consequences, and something that happened 17 years ago where the accused faced genuine consequences and then proceeded to spend a decade and a half bettering himself, eventually becoming a huge ambassador for women's sport, I don't know what to tell you.

We're not having this conversation in 2035, looking at a Mitch Creek who was punished for his misdeeds and has showed contrition, or a Mitch Creek who has shown evidence supporting his innocence. We're having this discussion now, in 2021, as it plays out, in the context of a world where women are generally disbelieved by authorities and have great difficulty obtaining justice in cases of domestic violence.

The only evidence we have, at this point, supports a finding of guilt. There is no other evidence (and with charges dropped that's unlikely to change significantly). But to the extent that the system has biases, it is overwhelmingly biased towards the Mitch Creeks of the world, not towards the Jane Does.

So within that context, and the context of that screenshot that went around a few years back of Creek trying to find someone to take demerit points for him, my sympathy for Creek is severely limited.

Reply #844163 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[The only evidence we have, at this point, supports a finding of guilt. There is no other evidence (and with charges dropped that's unlikely to change significantly)]

Even though the prosecutors threw out their own case.

You really just are completely blinded by your biases here aren't you?

Challenge for you. Come up with a plausible scenario that explains all the facts we have, but where Creek would be found not guilty if this went to trial.

There are clearly many possibilities. Try to think of a few.

Reply #844166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Finally. You admit you are a biased hypocrite. Well done.

Now on to the next criminal case for you to involve yourself in.

By the way, stop saying you have any evidence. You do not. Take that as helpful advice.

Reply #844167 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Report back to us KR. Present the scenario that you believe best explains what we know from the various media reports.

But remember, it must explain the fact that the prosecution threw out the case. Which means the people who know this case better than anyone else, with all their knowledge and experience, thought the chances of a guilty verdict were so low that it wasn't worth continuing to even try and convince the magistrate to spend further time considering the merits of proceeding.

Reply #844168 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

[The only evidence we have, at this point, supports a finding of guilt. There is no other evidence (and with charges dropped that's unlikely to change significantly)]

Even though the prosecutors threw out their own case.
...yes? How do you think that constitutes a rebuttal?

It never went to trial, so double jeopardy doesn't attach, so Creek would be unwise to talk about it - especially if actually guilty - as charges can be brought again at any time (up to the statute of limitations, obviously).

Literally the only evidence we have is that there is a woman who suffered facial injuries, and alleges Creek caused them. That's it. That's the sum total of available evidence. None of that supports a finding of innocence.

Challenge for you. Come up with a plausible scenario that explains all the facts we have, but where Creek would be found not guilty if this went to trial.
Why? What's your point? What does that have to do with anything?

Reply #844169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What if someone other than Creek caused the injuries?

Reply #844170 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

By the way, stop saying you have any evidence. You do not. Take that as helpful advice.
What do I not have evidence of?

Present the scenario that you believe best explains what we know from the various media reports.
The victim supplied compelling and consistent testimony, but there was no physical evidence with which to support it. It's unclear whether his phone was searched, assuming that's how the picture was taken, or when a report was made or what was done after that (did investigators get onto it quickly enough to examine Creek for offensive injuries, for example).

It's not exactly a rare occurrence, nor is it inconsistent with Creek being guilty.

Reply #844171 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What if someone other than Creek caused the injuries?
As with most such explanations: possible, but vanishingly unlikely.

Reply #844172 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Literally the only evidence we have is that there is a woman who suffered facial injuries, and alleges Creek caused them. That's it. That's the sum total of available evidence. None of that supports a finding of innocence].

Actually the most telling piece of evidence or information we have, is this:

The qualified people who spent time thoroughly investigating this case have decided to withdraw the charges because they no longer believe its worth trying to convince a magistrate that public resources should be allocated on a trial.

Reply #844173 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Which is evidence of their state of mind, not of what occurred between Creek and the woman.

Reply #844174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't want to take the advice Koberulz?

You have no evidence. You are not a member of Vic Police. You are not a member of the Court. You are not a member of the prosecution and you clearly are not a part of Creek’s legal team.

When you post at 163 clearly "that the only evidence we have supports a finding of guilt" then you are engaging in defamatory conduct that also puts Isaac at potential risk.

You cannot possibly support that allegation.

Why you would post that after the prosecution have already spoken that they don’t agree with you (and they, unlike you, have the evidence) beggars belief.

Take the advice and find the next criminal case to worry about.

Reply #844175 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Which is evidence of their state of mind, not of what occurred between Creek and the woman.]

One minute- trust what comes out of universities, because it results from study by those who know the subject matter

Next minute- ignore the experts who studied the evidence in the Mitch Creek case.

Do you listen to yourself before hitting "post"???

Reply #844176 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

When you post at 163 clearly "that the only evidence we have supports a finding of guilt" then you are engaging in defamatory conduct that also puts Isaac at potential risk.

You cannot possibly support that allegation.
I can support it with almost literally any news article about the case, all of which mention what evidence is available. 100% of that evidence points towards Creek's guilt.

Is it enough to actually convict? No. But all available evidence leans exactly one way.

Reply #844177 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

One minute- trust what comes out of universities, because it results from study by those who know the subject matter

Next minute- ignore the experts who studied the evidence in the Mitch Creek case.
Have any of the police or prosecutors claimed they believe Creek to be innocent?

Reply #844178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely you know the news articles are not evidence. Are you taking the piss or was that serious?

Assuming you are being serious then what news articles are there summarising Creek's version that you based your verdict of guilt on? Oh that is right. There aren’t any.

Or is he guilty because he didn’t tell you his version but rather did so appropriately via the legal system?

Oh that is right. You didn’t like his conduct with the speeding fine. Guilty of that must mean guilty of assault...

At least you have explained your logic that in 2035 you will have "forgiven" Creek (maybe you can change from Koberulz to Creekrulz) if Mitch has a daughter and coaches her basketball team. That makes so much sense. Here I was incorrectly thinking you were a hypocrite this entire time.

I guess you were innocent until proven guilty all along.

Reply #844179 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Surely you know the news articles are not evidence.
Of course they're evidence. This, in case you hadn't noticed, isn't a courtroom (and even if it was, they would still be evidence of my claim).

Assuming you are being serious then what news articles are there summarising Creek's version...? Oh that is right. There aren't any.
So then, you agree with me that there is no publicly available evidence in support of Creek's innocence.

At least you have explained your logic that in 2035 you will have "forgiven" Creek (maybe you can change from Koberulz to Creekrulz) if Mitch has a daughter and coaches her basketball team.
That's not what I said at all.

Reply #844180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, Kobe. I agree with you.

There is no publicly available evidence in support of Creek's innocence.

Well...err...apart from the articles that state that all the charges were withdrawn thus meaning that Creek continues to be innocent of any crimes ... well ... err ... apart from those pesky speeding fines.

I appreciate from your earlier post that you require another 14 years before you will accept any of the above.

Bring on 2035.

Reply #844182 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[The victim supplied compelling and consistent testimony, but there was no physical evidence with which to support it]

This is not consistent with what we know.

Her injuries provide some degree of physical evidence.

Don't forget George Pell was convicted of a more serious crime, from 25 years ago, despite inconsistencies with the evidence against him and without any physical evidence whatsoever. All because of a highly credible victim.

That was eventually overturned. But only after a guilty verdict at trial (which was the 2nd trial, the first resulting in a hung jury).

If the prosecution believed they had a highly credible victim, you wouldn't expect them to withdraw.

They mightve decided the defense was capable of raising serious doubts about the victim's version of events. Perhaps they realised her story had more holes than they'd previously thought.

Or perhaps it just became apparent there was strong conflicting evidence, or especially strong defense arguments that made the probability of conviction low enough to end the process at this point.

Reply #844183 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Have any of the police or prosecutors claimed they believe Creek to be innocent?]

They've decided it's not worth trying to proceed proving his guilt. Meaning they think he'll almost certainly remain legally innocent if trialled.

In other words, effectively yes. They have.

Reply #844184 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

To pretend that the circumstances around Pell and Creek are even remotely similar is asinine.

Reply #844185 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They've decided it's not worth trying to proceed proving his guilt. Meaning they think he'll almost certainly remain legally innocent if trialled.

In other words, effectively yes. They have.
No, they fucking haven't, you absolute trashbag dipshit.

They have decided there is insufficient evidence to continue. They may believe that Creek is guilty, but if they have insufficient admissible evidence that doesn't matter.

Stop equivocating.

Reply #844186 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[To pretend that the circumstances around Pell and Creek are even remotely similar is asinine.]

Massive strawman there Creekrulz.

I wasn't suggesting similarities. Only that the Pell case illustrates the huge value of a highly credible witness in any type of trial.

Reply #844188 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It illustrates the value of massive amounts of political and social pressure, not the value of a credible witness.

Reply #844189 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[No, they fucking haven't, you absolute trashbag dipshit]

Hahaha, there we have it. The teenage outburst again.

[Stop equivocating]

If anyone's equivocating, it's you.

In the context of a thread about charges being dropped in court proceedings, what matters is legal innocence. Not moral innocence of whatever it is you're accusing him of, under your standards.

Reply #844190 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[It illustrates the value of massive amounts of political and social pressure, not the value of a credible witness.]

You think Pell was found guilty because of the societal mileau?

Interesting take. I wasn't expecting you to come out as a Catholic apologist....

Reply #844191 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

In the context of a thread about charges being dropped in court proceedings, what matters is legal innocence.
There's no such thing, so what the fuck have you been waffling about?

Reply #844192 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You think Pell was found guilty because of the societal mileau?
Charged. We were discussing why he was charged. Try to keep up.

It being thrown out on appeal doesn't exactly make it sound like the witness managed to carry the case now, does it?

I have no idea why you think that makes me a Catholic apologist.

Reply #844193 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[There's no such thing]

Under the law, you're presumed innocent of a crime. Until you're guilty after which time you're no longer innocent, because.... you're guilty.

There is no third way.

Reply #844194 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There is literally "not guilty", you know, the actual thing they find in court.

You don't get found innocent.

FFS dude.

Reply #844195 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Charged. We were discussing why he was charged. Try to keep up.]

I was discussing why Pell was found guilty at trial. It was mostly due to the perceived credibility of the sole witness.

Can't help being rude, can you?

Night.

Reply #844196 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The witness' credibility would have been irrelevant had charges not been laid, and Pell's case became, in the public's mind, a trial of the entire Catholic Church. It's representative of nothing.

Reply #844197 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Will this bitch fight continue tomorrow?
It's late. LV leading at this point.

Reply #844198 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The jurors found him unanimously guilty. And you can guarantee several of the jurors (if not most) wouldn't have known anything much about Pell at all.

It's representative of the value of a believable witness.

In any kind of mediation, court case of any kind (especially one like Pell's) the sheer extent to which someone seems believable is massively important.

In the Pell case, it convinced jurors to find him guilty despite the inconsistencies pointed out by Pell's prominent defense team.

Prosecutors don't withdraw charges if they believe their star witness - the centrepiece of the case- is highly credible and likely to be believed despite the arguments brought by the defense.

Reply #844199 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So you're just going to continue to ignore the fact that the case was overturned on appeal?

Reply #844200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

koberulz: "Is it enough to actually convict? No. But all available evidence leans exactly one way."
"The only evidence we have, at this point, supports a finding of guilt."

Earlier

koberulz: "Is it possible Creek didn't do it? Sure. Is it likely? Fuck no."

If "all available evidence leans exactly one way", why do you think it's possible Creek didn't do as alleged? Does this imply that you actually do understand that there may be other evidence, which you haven't been exposed to, that may support Creek? Or that there is a possibility that the evidence that you have been exposed to may not represent the truth?

Or is it just easier to ignore all that uncertainty and jump on the train of your perceived highest likelihood? Less complicated. Easier to push an agenda. Again and again.

Reply #844202 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"I know you said it's not 100% certain, but why do you think it's 100% certain?"

Jesus Christ.

Reply #844203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" They have decided there is insufficient evidence to continue. "

As far as I am aware, the prosecution has said no such thing and this is purely speculation on your part.

Reply #844204 | Report this post

KobeFoolz  
Years ago

Koberulz, what's become totally clear, is that you have an agenda to continually cast doubt over Creeks innocence based on an article.
Imagine for a moment, that such compelling evidence was looked at by the prosecutor on the 21st, who you’d assume took on the case that day from what ever police station originally filed the report, and with their superior understanding of how this all works, looked at all the evidence and said, no, we will not proceed! That indicates that they did not think it was going to work.
Further, many a case has been brought to actual trial based on no physical evidence, and just "he said, she said". I wonder what compelling evidence would have been produced in order to stop even the “he said she said” argument? Hmmmmm, now stfu, and go and play your puzzles in the basement.

Reply #844205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The amount of obfuscation in this thread from LV is off the charts.

Reply #844206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobeisafool will always be right because he has told us he is always right. I wish there was an ignore button on here.

Reply #844208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't read his posts then.

Reply #844209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The victim supplied compelling and consistent testimony"

We haven't heard the victim's testimony. How can we judge if it is compelling and consistent?

Reply #844212 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

My apologies, I will try to refrain from hypothesising when presenting hypotheticals in the future.

Reply #844213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The irony of a guy with the name koberulz saying someone is guilty when a case was thrown out.
Maybe research the name in your own name that you seem to be a big fan of!

Moron

Reply #844216 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[So you're just going to continue to ignore the fact that the case was overturned on appeal?]

Yes, after 2 lengthy trials- one hung jury and one guilty.

And again, there was no physical evidence and there were inconsistencies in the stories presented.

And the Creek case isn't even proceeding to trial! Yet you claimed there was a highly credible witness but the case was being withdrawn due to a lack of physical evidence. Not very plausible.

Try again- what scenario best explains all the information we have on the Creek case- the injuries, the specific charges laid and the withdrawal at committal.

Tell us KR. What's your theory?

Reply #844217 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

In respect of the institutions relating to Criminal law, a person is innocent until proven guilty.

If you assume someone is guilty without the evidence being tested, you go down a very dangerous rabbit hole. Trial by media and trial by public opinion are ever present dangers in the effectiveness of the justice system.

Neither of those fundamental points denies the reality that many assaults and violence goes untested in the Courts for many reasons including either insufficient evidence or sufficient evidence that drops out due to stress factors. It is a very real and sad reality and it is understandable that many don't want to put themselves through it and it’s also very hard to get evidence for lack of CCTV .

None of those points should be controversial to anyone here, and yet somehow I feel they will be!

Reply #844221 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

In order to prevent this from becoming too cancerous allow me to mention some points I think everyone should
consider:
None of us where there so unless there's a 3rd party witness we can’t for sure say what or what not happened
Let’s not pretend that there isn’t a history of police being shit at their jobs
Let’s also not pretend that unfortunately there are some people in this world are fucked up enough to lie about shit just to get a payday out of it
The Investigation process doesn’t mean they were working around the clock everyday when it came to this matter
Being charged can mean a variety of things. It doesn’t inherently mean that you are guilty or innocence in a court of law. In fact I know of a person (who’ll remain anonymous for the sake of their privacy) was accused was charged basically right away
Innocent in a court of law is different to civil cases
Just because you are deemed innocent doesn’t mean you didn’t do something, it just means that the prosecution wasn’t able to prove their case

At the end of the day when it comes to it creek is innocent till proven guilty which is the case. However him being innocent in the court of law doesn’t mean that he didn’t do it.

So I suggest we all tread carefully as charges being dropped too can mean different things when it comes to the reason behind it

Reply #844222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" But all available evidence leans exactly one way."

You simply do not know that! You anyone here has not seen the evidence. All you have seen as reporting of allegations.

Reply #844225 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[All you have seen as reporting of allegations.]

There was a person with injuries. There was an investigation by police and charges were laid.

Creekrulz has all the evidence he needs. It all points towards guilt.

Reply #844227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

P*iss off Musk. That's such a cop out. The percentage for people lying about this kind of thing is INCREDIBLY low. There's a lot of smoke around this and further information from those in the circle, about Creek and his questionable behaviour, who he hangs out with etc. Typical male athlete who believes his own hype and thinks he's above it all.

Reply #844239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" There's a lot of smoke around this and further information from those in the circle, about Creek and his questionable behaviour, who he hangs out with etc."

That may all be true. Creek may not be a good person. We may not like how he hangs around with and what they get up to. But none of that matters as to whether, in fact, Creek did the things that were alleged.

Reply #844243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz:
Kobe Bryant.
Rapist or no?

Reply #844245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The argument continually being made about koberulz' username is, from a legal perspective, extremely retarded.

Reply #844248 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

" But all available evidence leans exactly one way."

You simply do not know that! You anyone here has not seen the evidence. All you have seen as reporting of allegations.
I don't know how I could possibly be any clearer.

Reply #844256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awaiting your answer KR...
Kobe?

Reply #844258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fuck off with your idiotic "gotcha" argument. It's not proving anything.

Reply #844261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

248 and 261 - it's not a legal argument. It’s not a gotcha argument.

His username is hypocritical. Change the username or change the guilty until proven innocent rubbish.

It’s like a vegan trying to force the virtues of being a vegan upon others but with the username BigMacRulz or a profile picture of Ronald McDonald.

In this case the picture of Ronald McDonald would be appropriate for Koberulz.

Reply #844264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"His username is hypocritical."

Yeah we get it. You think he can't have an opinion on Creek while he has a username like his. Who gives a fuck? You're not making any sort of point that you think you are.

If he had been defending Bryant during his pre-trial issues but then changed his tune for Creek, then you could say he's a hypocrite. But it's a fucking username which he's used since he was a kid so it doesn't matter one iota.

Reply #844269 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Not only is it a stupid "gotcha", I've already answered it. Continuing to ask about it doesn't change that.

Reply #844270 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Anon239, I'm not insinuating in anyway that the individual who accused creek lied, I’m simply stating that it has happened to others in the past and considering no one one this forum witnessed the allegations, let’s just tread carefully into believing what is said.

I fully understand the hardship faced by people (in most cases women) when it comes to dealings with these types of matters, all I’m saying is let’s not act like we were all there and start putting statements forth as to what happened and what the punishment may or may not be.

Again as I said just because it can’t be or wasn’t proven in a court of law doesn’t mean creek didn’t do it, so for everyone no matter what side you may or may not be on, just be very careful with this matter and how we handle it

Reply #844271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok cool.

Koberulz defends rapists right to rape if they can basketball really good and are his idol.

Reply #844272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't believe he's once commented on Bryant's guilt or innocence. It's a username!!

Reply #844274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"All you have seen as reporting of allegations"

Haven't you heard? All you need is an allegation. It's the woke way. 100% believe the accuser (if accuser is the right gender/race/status identity), the accusation signifies the accused must be guilty, no benefit of the doubt for the accused, trial by social media, public shaming, offer mostly vague generalized accusations, group the accused together with all other accused regardless of severity, advocate for cancelation. All good woke warriors should also regularly sprinkle in generalized statements to push for woke activism, usually arguing via identity politics. Ignore the legal system. Who needs that? It just represents the patriarchy. With such a simplistic worldview, don't be surprised that these woke activists show hypocrisy. Hypocrisy is part of being woke. Who needs a court of law when the woke can decide for all of us? Thank you for your service, woke. You may now go back to your social media echo chambers, which is apparently "real life" to them.

Reply #844276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or he certainly hasn't said he was within his rights to rape. Not only is your gotcha argument pathetic, you're now bringing in a straw man to show just how fucking stupid you are

Reply #844277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Charges dropped.
The end.

Reply #844278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"100% believe the accuser"

No one is saying they 100% believe the accuser but the accuser deserves to be taken seriously without suggesting that she is after a payday, or that we hope Creek is found "legally innocent" so we can get an all Melbourne GF series.

Reply #844280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But it's a fucking username which he's used since he was a kid so it doesn't matter one iota."

It does matter. People change all the time. If my username has been weinsteinrulz because I loved miramax movies then I would have taken the 60 seconds needed to change my username once certain unpleasant new information came to light. Having an opinion at some point in the past does not mean the opinion can't be changed. It is called growth and improvement.

Reply #844283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if he changes his username, then you'll shut up?

Reply #844285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No one is saying they 100% believe the accuser"

Koberulz said all evidence points to guilt, based on the accusation.

Reply #844289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz believes Creek is guilty.
He is just a nerd who will keep replying if you bait him.
Simply ignore him.

Reply #844293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, I should have said not every accusation should be 100% believed but they should be taken seriously. For years we heard excuses for alleged assault victims, like she shouldnt have been wearing that outfit, or in the case of LV, there was potentially provocation.

Reply #844294 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"No one is saying they 100% believe the accuser"

Koberulz said all evidence points to guilt, based on the accusation.
I didn't say "all evidence", I said "all available evidence". Please learn to read.

Reply #844295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I don't know how I could possibly be any clearer."

Let me be clear: you do not know what the evidence is and you do not know which way the evidence leans because you haven't seen it. All you know is that there are allegations and the Police initially pressed charges. From that alone, you have concluded that Creek is likely guilty. This is a fallacy.

Reply #844297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Charges were dropped.
Creek is a free man :)

Reply #844298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I said "all available evidence". Please learn to read."

Please link us to the available evidence you have adduced because, as far as I can see, there is no publicly available evidence.

Reply #844303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huh? The evidence is that a woman suffered severe facial injuries and that the police investigated the incident and laid charges. That is the availabile evidence.

Reply #844305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz obviously doesn't like Creek lol.

Reply #844307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#305 and with such obvious evidence (severe injuries that required hospitalisation) the charges have been dropped. No case to answer, no evidence produced in court, no court hearing, no charges to defend. I suggest everyone moves on.

Reply #844317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I didn't say "all evidence", I said "all available evidence". Please learn to read"

"Based on the accusation", which refers to the available evidence. Please learn to read.

Reply #844320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Huh? The evidence is that a woman suffered severe facial injuries and that the police investigated the incident and laid charges. That is the available evidence"

This is not evidence.

Evidence would be, for example, pictures of the facial injuries. Evidence would be testimony of a first responder to the scene about the victim's condition. Supporting evidence would then be medical testimony that the victim's injuries were consistent with assault.

Ideally, there would be evidence showing that Creek caused the injuries. In the absence of such evidence, there should at least be something showing that Creek was with the victim at the time the injuries happened. As it stands, there is nothing publicly available for us to conclude that Creek caused the injuries suffered by the victim or that the injuries were caused by assault.

Evidence would be a statutory declaration of the complainant's account of the events. Evidence would be witnesses' statutory declarations. Creek's version of events and his defence's story could then be used to compare who we think may be telling the truth. There is no publicly available record of either side's story so it is not possible to conclude on who is likely telling the truth or not.

There has been some comment that Creek disregards the law and may not be of great character. But there has been no evidence that Creek has a propensity to be violent towards women. For example, there has been no evidence of previous convictions of a similar nature. Furthermore, there has been no reference of previous dishonesty that suggests that Creek's veracity is questionable and that he is lying about what happened. In the same way, there is no publicly available evidence that the complainant has reason to lie and inferences about her motivations are also improper.

I appreciate this is a high bar for complainants and may deter some complainants where there has been wrongdoing. But this bar can be cleared. The recent case of Jarryd Hayne demonstrates that the Police and the prosecution can successfully obtain convictions. And it does not follow that just because the prosecution did not go ahead, that Creek is guilty. We simply do not know. So, please do not treat this as a Creek is innocent!!!!1111!! I am just stating the facts: there is no evidence publicly available for us to comment on Creek's guilt.

As usual, koberulz started this discussion from a defensible position and has descended into an indefensible one by saying that Creek is likely guilty while not proffering any evidence to support that assertion. This happens on hoops all the time. He was right, then he was wrong, and now he sure as hell won't backtrack. He will dig in and sit at his keyboard responding to every comment. He could save everyone time by just stating that he went too far (he won't). In the meantime, I hope that koberulz is not on a jury any time soon because the defendant would have no chance at a fair trial.

Reply #844335 | Report this post

Creekworld  
Years ago

I feel sorry for Koberulz.

Reply #844336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#335 thank you, at last some reality to the subject.

Reply #844338 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Furthermore, there has been no reference of previous dishonesty that suggests that Creek's veracity is questionable and that he is lying about what happened.
Does getting someone else to take your demerits not count as dishonesty now?

As usual, koberulz started this discussion from a defensible position and has descended into an indefensible one by saying that Creek is likely guilty while not proffering any evidence to support that assertion.
Which is more likely: that a woman falsely accused her (ex?) partner of assaulting her, or that a man assaulted his (ex?) partner and then fought the charges? One of those things, absent any specific facts, is significantly more likely than the other. The only specific facts we have here are documented injuries to the victim, which does not sway me towards Creek's side of the story in the slightest.

This isn't court. That's all the analysis that needs to be done. Absent any other revelations, the woman's story is vastly more likely to be true than Creek's is, because people who crime have obvious built-in motives to deny criming, and women don't have obvious built-in motives to accuse men of assault.

Reply #844339 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Furthermore, there has been no reference of previous dishonesty that suggests that Creek's veracity is questionable and that he is lying about what happened.

Have you already forgotten his demerit points fiasco from a few years ago?

Reply #844341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, I haven't. But it’s a common thing in Straya. And I don’t believe Creek was convicted on that either. If we want to be technical, his Facebook post itself was not a crime. But either way, it’s chalk and cheese to the current allegations as there is a wide gap between traffic offences and assault. There was a woman in Perth who did similar shortly after, if she alleged rape would we discount her allegations because she tried to avoid demerit points?

Reply #844351 | Report this post

Creekworld  
Years ago

Not even sure why idiots bring up demerits "fiasco" it has no relevance to current events.

Reply #844352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Which is more likely: that a woman falsely accused her (ex?) partner of assaulting her, or that a man assaulted his (ex?) partner and then fought the charges? One of those things, absent any specific facts, is significantly more likely than the other. The only specific facts we have here are documented injuries to the victim, which does not sway me towards Creek's side of the story in the slightest."

It's not about what’s more likely. It’s about what happened in this case between these parties. And there are other facts: the prosecution has dropped the case and the witness is disappointed they’ve done so. Why would the prosecution drop the case if it was more likely her story was true? On your balance of probabilities exercise, there would be a reasonable cause of action for the prosecution to try test in Court. If Creek was not guilty or guilty, that would be for the jury. But the prosecution did not even bother to test it even though it appears the victim has maintained their complaint and wants to see the process through. Why would the prosecution do that? Maybe Creek’s guilt is not as clear as you are asserting?

Reply #844354 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No, I haven't. But it's a common thing in Straya. And I don’t believe Creek was convicted on that either. If we want to be technical, his Facebook post itself was not a crime. But either way, it’s chalk and cheese to the current allegations as there is a wide gap between traffic offences and assault. There was a woman in Perth who did similar shortly after, if she alleged rape would we discount her allegations because she tried to avoid demerit points?

Hang on mate, before you backtrack yourself back out the door you said this:

I gave you a pretty big account of "previous dishonesty" from Creek when he went on Facebook and asked for someone from the public to give him some of their demerit points and now you're saying it wasn't a crime or that he wasn't convicted. No, but it certainly was "a reference of previous dishonesty".

Reply #844355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except it has been proven to happen often enough where high profile athletes/ movie stars and so on are placed in positions of a lot to lose even with the mentioning of such things.

Creek has been embarrassed and lost sponsorship and potentially an Olympics spot because of one persons story. A story that has been shown to not be able to be proved up.

I haven't seen any news reports saying the women required hospitalisation and a quick search doesn't show any google results of that either. Seems people posting this in this thread have taken it upon themselves to embellish.

Reply #844356 | Report this post

KobeFoolz  
Years ago

Koberulz, did I read it correctly that you said you ran a Uni faculty? If so, I take back everything I've said. You are so intelligent, omg, please teach us all.

Reply #844357 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not even sure why idiots bring up demerits "fiasco" it has no relevance to current events.

If you have absolutely no idea what's going on and are unable to follow a simple conversation perhaps you shouldn't be posting on the internet.

1. Essay length post from some anon suggested Creek had no history of dishonesty either forgetting about his demerit points fiasco or worse not knowing it ever happened,

2. Which I then reminded him of and you chime in with the equivalent of "leave Brtiney alone!".

Reply #844358 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And there are other facts: the prosecution has dropped the case and the witness is disappointed they've done so.
This also happens in a high percentage of DV/sexual assault cases. It means nothing.

Reply #844359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, please note I mentioned veracity. This is an evidence law concept. The demerits fiasco would likely be inadmissible as evidence. What I was meant was a dishonesty conviction or a history of having lied before the courts in another matter. I should have been clearer. Sorry.

Reply #844362 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Has anyone noticed this isn't a court?

Reply #844363 | Report this post

Rain man  
Years ago

Mr. Koberulz & Mr. LV, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

Reply #844366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As above, I've seen nothing of hospital reports, it’s easy to say that she had injuries but where is the evidence.

As stated, no one knows what went on, it’s all conjecture. What we know was Creek was put to a committal hearing and it was thrown out.

End of story.

Reply #844374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Has anyone noticed this isn't a court?"

No, Hoops isn't a court. But that doesn’t mean you can or should say that Creek is likely a guilty perpetrator of domestic violence and sexual assault.

Reply #844376 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I had a quick count of koberulz's posts in this thread for what was meant to be a laugh. But shit, 50+ in a day and a half is just sad... LV has managed about 40 too.

You two idiots need to find new hobbies.

Reply #844377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KR is 100% on the public teet

Fkin loser

Reply #844379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz is sad that the criminal prosecutor made him look like a judgmental idiot.

You have donuts. As has been pointed out over and over again it is impossible to take any of your arguments on this topic seriously whilst you use your username.

What do you even mean when you say "this isn't a court"? Are you saying that little things such as the rule of law and rules of evidence shouldn’t apply when deciding if someone is a criminal and publicly sharing your sentiments on the matter online?

What if someone incorrectly assumed from what you posted about injuries that you specifically knew what injuries were allegedly suffered when you don’t. Can’t you see how dangerous that is to someone’s reputation? If you did have inside knowledge then perhaps you could argue you are trying to do others a favour but you don’t.

Details matter. If I allege Koberulz hit someone in the head with a sock causing no injury whatsoever it evokes completely different emotions than if he fractured someone’s skull and left them in an induced coma from a hammer attack. Before you misconstrue what I’m saying, both are wrong but don’t pretend there is no difference. Any form of violence and in particular violence against women (even the sock attack example) are reprehensible. However, rules of evidence matter and the rule of law matter.

When you resort to “demerit point fiasco” as the rebuttal to a well written post at 335 then you know you have lost.

Maybe the criminal prosecutor should have used that Gotcha argument and proceeded to Trial. “Your honour, the accused previously dishonestly asked someone to take his demerit points”. If only Koberulz was available to assist the prosecutor. Between the demerit point argument and all the evidence he possesses then a conviction would clearly have followed.

Reply #844380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get over the username it holds zero merit

Reply #844382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has huge merit. Discredits every post with hypocrisy.

Reply #844385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No it doesn't at all

Reply #844387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need a woke update. Should we that take issue with continuing the use of names that were named after now controversial historical figures, or not? It might say something about hypocrisy in this thread.

Reply #844388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#385 it actually doesn't.

Reply #844392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OJSimpsonRulz

Reply #844395 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

I'll ask again a question that no one has attempted to answer. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with their stance but there must be a reason for the club or coach's decision.

Why is SEM not starting Creek?

Reply #844396 | Report this post

Creekworld  
Years ago

Creek charges have been dropped.

Reply #844399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why is SEM not starting Creek?"

Team balance is better with him off the bench?

Reply #844401 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with their stance but there must be a reason for the club or coach's decision.

Why is SEM not starting Creek?
If he starts tonight, we have our answer.

If he doesn't, why does any player come off the bench? There are all sorts of reasons.

Reply #844402 | Report this post

Creekworld  
Years ago

He will be on in the fourth quarter When it counts.

Reply #844403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's an idea for those that hate KR. Just stop replying to the idiot. It's obvious he won't stop and feeds on thinking he's the smartest guy around. So no matter what bullshit he talks, ignore it. As in totally, don't give him the satisfaction no matter what written crap he tries to stir us up with.

Reply #844428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" As in totally, don't give him the satisfaction"

I don't think he’s getting any satisfaction. He regularly sounds frustrated. His poor language and name calling suggest he can’t keep his cool. Perhaps an alternative to what you’ve put forward is to troll him more until he spontaneously combusts?

Reply #844433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#428 just suggested a way to ignore him while being completely engrossed with his posts. Good job!

Reply #844448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tbh KR makes this forum site look bad...

Reply #844450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz - Creek coming off the bench is more evidence he is guilty.

Kobe never came off the bench. Definitely innocent.

What happens in Colorado stays in Colorado.

Reply #844451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, thats the shittest take of this whole situation.

Reply #844453 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" I had a quick count of koberulz's posts in this thread for what was meant to be a laugh. But shit, 50+ in a day and a half is just sad... LV has managed about 40 too.

You two idiots need to find new hobbies."

Faux lawyering is cheap - I dare say the amount of time they spent arguing would amount to extraordinarily high legal fees

Reply #844476 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"He will be on in the fourth quarter When it counts."

Welp, he was on in the fourth quarter. Not sure it counted for much.

Reply #844477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Charges against Mitch Creek have been dropped.

Reply #844484 | Report this post

KobeFoolz  
Years ago

KET, c'mon, be fair to KobeRulez. Doesn’t he run a Uni faculty in WA? The body is just a vessel to carry around his very large brain.
I can only imagine the hard work that goes on behind the scenes to educate the masses.
I’m kind of disappointed that he isn’t citing all responses from his research on the law.

Reply #844494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any proof he runs a uni faculty?
Also he is welcome to buy a one way ticket out of WA.

Reply #844512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Has anyone noticed this isn't a court?"
Anyone notice no one cares what Kobeisafool posts?

Reply #844847 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bumping a day-old thread just to complain about me two days after my last post in it definitely indicates that you don't care.

Reply #844848 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

This thread should have been locked a long time ago.

Reply #844851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek is a piece of shit.

Reply #845223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why?

Reply #845229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You should say it to his face.

Reply #845230 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Implying that accusing Mitch Creek of being violent would result in him assaulting you is not the defense of his character that you think it is.

Reply #845231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Mitch Creek is a good bloke.

Reply #845233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The charges have been dropped.

Reply #845236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The charges got dropped...just like she did after a right hook in the chops.

Reply #845237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lack of judgement from Isaac to allow this nonsense to continue

Reply #845238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you know it was a right hook. I think you're trolling.
Creek is a free man and a great player for SEM.

Reply #845240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Update Creek haters.
Charges still dropped.

Reply #845562 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:23 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754