Anonymous
Years ago

Homicide NBL Affect

Honest opinions based on the rise of the league in terms of talent how much has Homicide helped or hurt the NBL. Some find him amusing others not so much. I'm interested to see who believes he deserves contract extension.

Topic #48400 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't mind him tbh

Reply #844049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He brings that urban flavour to the commentary plannel and the league

Reply #844052 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And here come the "I don't want the TV to turn my kids black" takes.

Reply #844058 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Corey has discovered hoops.com.au

Reply #844060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's a plannel ?????

Reply #844065 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Probably plaid flannel.

Reply #844067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is someone seriously suggesting Homicide has had an influence with attracting players to the league?

Reply #844070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I cheer for him.

Reply #844081 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Is someone seriously suggesting Homicide has had an influence with attracting players to the league?

That someone has to be the man himself. Plus a contract extension was mentioned, ok Corey.

Reply #844086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's painful on ear. Real cliche style of commentary that is all noise no substance.

Reply #844102 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

My favourite moment of the season so far is when Illawarra scored and Corey just went, "HELLO! HELLO! HELLO! HELLO!"

That's insight you just can't get anywhere else.

Reply #844105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hes a good basketball player. I think he needs to talk a bit more about basketball rather than the basketballers if you know what I mean.

I think he's okay for the league a few tweaks to his commentary style and he could be very good.

Reply #844107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's ok for the league but just not on the commentary booth. Keep him on the sideline or talking shows.

Reply #844119 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

And here come the "I don't want the TV to turn my kids black" takes."

Umm, what?

Reply #844135 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Reply #844136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Effect?

Reply #844137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is rubbish.
Does no research.
Messes up names constantly, then tries to fix that by yelliing and screaming
Id be shocked if he could spell homicide

Reply #844214 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Bloke mostly serves as strictly a hype man. Anyone who seriously follows basketball knows he's just being an over the top goof a lot of the time and wouldn’t expect the most insightful analysis. However he does the entertainment side of things (or at least that’s his purpose it appears to me) but I think the bigger picture is that since lk took over he’s really trying to parrot the whole "2nd best league in the world" thing. And if you watch any games this message has been clearly put to all commentators including him and as an ex player I think children and/or people with little basketball experience look at him like the others as a person of expertise. So when he does parrot on about how good the nbl is they don’t think twice. For example, the guy seriously said a few weeks ago that Harvey had the best floater in the world and then hooley had to sheepishly mention that there’s a guy named Steph curry.

Reply #844219 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I have actually come around to him in podcast format.

However he is one of the worst game commentators.

Maybe if they had him do some type of pre game or half time spiel that was more like the overtime format and kept him of the microphone during the game that would be a good compromise.

I never understood the "he's good for the league, gets people interested in whats happening" argument. No one that isn't already watching games or following him on social media is going to start watching because of what he is saying somewhere they wont see.

Reply #844226 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I think he's great for the Overtime show, and would be good in spots on the TV coverage as a hype man, but he's not really a commentator. I disagree with those who say he doesn't do his homework, I very much think he does. I just think when he's on the call, though, he is too busy trying to make everything seem extreme and awesome rather than just break down what is happening in the game. Let's not get it twisted - the man knows basketball. But he also can't seem to separate himself from his overblown persona long enough to talk about it in any analytical sense for very long.

Despite his downfalls, if he left the NBL I think there'd be an enthusiasm hole left behind him. Could you imagine Overtime with only Cam Luke and Liam Santamaria? The NBL has lacked personalities for a long time. A lot of the players on court are solid, yet uninteresting individuals and characters. Even if Homicide is only a star in his own mind, that's more interesting than just another 9-5 guy who is just trudging along in life.

Reply #844252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

During games he sounds like an NBA2K commentator, just says generic things that could apply to any situation.

Eg. This is what he does!

Reply #844266 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Could you imagine Overtime with only Cam Luke and Liam Santamaria?
I really enjoyed the episode with Andrew Gaze last week. It was nice to have someone who could actually engage in the substance, instead of derailing things by yelling catchphrases loudly.

I get his appeal in that sort of format, and I've been saying since he first showed up on commentary in 2016 - long before Overtime was a thing - that he's best suited to that format, but I personally would be happy to not have him anywhere at all.

Reply #844268 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Agree with statement of he's better suited to podcasts and what not but as has been previously said I can’t stand cam luke as he sounds like a genuine fan boy and it gets to cringeworthy so in that essence I do prefer him to luke . Idk if anyone has seen the ad but the bit where he screams "THE LARRY BIRD BEHIND THE BACKBOARD SHOT WOAHHHH" is actually the fucking worst.

Reply #844273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you sure you would be happy? You come off as being miserable 100% of the time. I am dubious about your claim. Nevertheless I am in agreement about less Homicide being better. He is good for about 3 sentences per day. Anything more than that tends to be only repetition.

Reply #844275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He brings a US Urban flavor which some like others don't.

The real key is do the consumers who pay the bills/spend like it and from those I talk to the general answer is no.

Middle Aged Parents aren't really into the "Urban" thing and don't want there kids to be "Urban: so in the end that demographic makes the key buying decision for all sports in this country.

The Urban subculture is very small in Australia and they have little spending power in compared with other demoraphics.

Reply #844319 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

I loved him as a player love him as an influencer this ain't no cupcake league.

Reply #844329 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

He used to bug the hell out of me when he first became an NBL media identity, but I think the right balance is where we're at now, he's no longer in our faces all the time and isn't as wild in his comments any more. So small doses is ok.

Reply #844340 | Report this post

killa man  
Years ago

LOL at all the "urban" comments, cant we find a better term to say BLACK, or better yet lets just not bring up URBAN or BLACK at all?

Reply #844375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You spelled killa the urban way

Reply #844378 | Report this post

killa man  
Years ago

Sorry Uncle Tom

Reply #844389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Are you sure you would be happy? You come off as being miserable 100% of the time. I am dubious about your claim. Nevertheless I am in agreement about less Homicide being better. He is good for about 3 sentences per day. Anything more than that tends to be only repetition."

It looks like this post had an effect on young koberulz. He tweeted something positive for the first time in approximately a decade.

Reply #844497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Urban" doesn't mean "Black" as Killa wants to portray as plenty of people from all backgrounds are into the "Urban" sub culture, just look at the clientele of a place like Culture Kings.

I think its more a general culture that most mortgagee belt parents aren't super keen on having there kids fall into or get into much like any other sub cultures

The NBL made a huge error in Melbourne particular pushing the "Urban" culture with the marketing of both clubs and based on me and the 500 other people at last nights SEM game perhaps a pivot in marketing might be in order

Reply #844505 | Report this post

killa man  
Years ago

CULTURE KINGS?!?!?!! HAHAHA ALL THOSE KIDS WISH THEY WERE BLACK THOUGH?

Reply #844520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They wish they were more Urban but the people that pay the bills for those kids and taking kids to games don't want there kids to be Urban!

I was one of the 350 other people at last nights SEM game and the crowds are getting smaller at all th Melbourne home games every other week.

A pivot away from Urban marketing might be a good idea

Reply #844542 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Literally every caller to Dwayne Russell's radio show today won a double pass to the United game. They can't sell tickets.

Reply #844543 | Report this post

killa man  
Years ago

If you go look where "urban" started its another name for saying black culture, just without mentioning a specific race. Urban Music Awards is literally an award show for black music.

"Urban culture has been used as a euphemistic reference to contemporary African American culture."

Reply #844568 | Report this post

Malcolm Y  
Years ago

Have you ever seen the "Area 21" NBA segment, where Kevin Garnett basically has a segment, where he thinks he's in the hood, or a Wu Tang Clan video, and he just flexes, makes stupid "right, right, right, right" ramblings like he bout to drop 16 bars of the hottest freestyle while his guests (B Diddy, White Chocolate, anyone with street cred) hype him up?

If you looped that shiz, and remixed it with KG screaming "Anything is possible" (a statement that contradicts all scientific reasoning), it would still be more tolerable than listening* to anything Carey has to say.

*You can listen to Carey, but you can't HEAR Carey*

Reply #845722 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:22 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754