Waste of time***
Years ago

REPORTING A COACH (is it worth it)

Two weeks before finals last season I had to report a Coach because of his attitude, langugage and threating manner towards myself and most importantly the jnr referee I was with.

To make it worse it was a U12 B Div 2 game. Even parents from his own team came up and said sorry about the way their coach had acted.

We decieded that we would report the coach. The proper report sheet was correctly filled out, and sent off to BASA. Normally the tribuneral would be held before the next game. The Thursday before finals I still had not heard anything so I called the referee's director and questioned him about it. He spoke to somebody else and they said it depends if the team are in the finals. And that they would get back to me with a date.

It is now coming into the second round of the summer season, with the reported coach STILL coaching and no tribuneral.

Why bring in these green tops for the jnr referee's if the tribuneral will not back us up????

Topic #4841 | Report this topic

never again  
Years ago

About 5-6 years ago I was umpiring a Div3 mens games. One player we had trouble with from South Coast got a Tech foul. He walked straight up to me and SPAT in my face. Then he walked to the score table and tore up the score sheet. the other umpire and I reported him.
Got to the Tribunal and after 45mins the player walked out a free man, able to play the next week.

That is nothing short of being F*#ked up the A#se. That player from every game on had the biggest grin on his face when he saw me.

Reply #55715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i would actually question what you get out of airing the problem on here.

you have an issue

i would put it writing to the appropriate authority

i guess most refs don't understand they are covered by a code of conduct like players and coaches and posting something on here like this i'm sure contravenes that code.

Reply #55721 | Report this post

waste of time***  
Years ago

Why are we getting jnr umprires to wear these greens tops and having codes of conduct, if at the end of the day the tribunal will not back us up.

I have already informed the powers that be. And still nothing has been done. So what else is to be done??

Nothing.... Just won't referee again.

If the powers that be can't support your decision then why are we having these Code's of Conduct that not even BASA will support.

Reply #55723 | Report this post

3ph  
Years ago

"i would put it writing to the appropriate authority"

"The proper report sheet was correctly filled out..."

Next please.

Reply #55724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not a ref but I have to agree with you here. I am sick and tired of seeing refs abused by players and spectators. We need all the refs we can get in this state and it is about time BASA stands up and gets tough with a zero tolerance policy. I feel this is the only way to cut this sort of behaviour out and increase the number of refs we have in our great game. Remember no refs, no game, think about that for a while and lets start respecting them no matter how good, not so good they may be. Everyone has an off night including refs. they don't abuse you if you make a mistake during the game do they??
Anyway just my 2 cents worth.

Reply #55754 | Report this post

MC  
Years ago

Sorry but I don't see the answer being a Zero Tolerance Policy.
We are training a whole group of Referees (green shirts) who will not have the capacity to communicate with players or coaches. What happens when they no longer have the 'safety' of the green shirt?
Yeah I'm sick of seeing refs cop all this abuse but surely part of all referee training should include how to communicate with players and coaches appropriately.

Reply #55790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its funny u mention how referees do not abuse players, as last season after my coach was disputing a travel called on me the referee's response was 'well if he was actually a good player he wouldn't have travelled'. This was a senior referee as well.

(I'll remain anonymous on this one so noone is tempted to agree with the ref)

Reply #55793 | Report this post

what do you want  
Years ago

what do you want to have happened ?

by the sounds of it you don't want this guy to ever to ever coach again .

i understand that this sort of behaviour is not acceptable and should be stamped out and that without the refs there is no game but at the end of the day we go to watch the players play , not the refs ref.

of the incidents that i have witnessed the refs in some instances have been just as much to blame as the coaches and players themselves....if a coach or player has a go ignore them.....write a report if you must and let the correct processes take their course....if your in the right then the correct punishment will be metred out....don't come on to this site and winge about a lack of progress on your particular case

i hate you damn Coach bashers....get a thicker skin....just as players and coaches have to face their mistakes so should refs be accountable

Reply #55795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's just it tho isn't it?

Players and coaches DON'T face their mistakes, they blame the ref. AND the refs aren't accountable to players, coaches or spectators. They are only accountable to themselves, their UIC's and evaluators.

Reply #55802 | Report this post

rabid  
Years ago

it wasn't that bloke that coaches that black and orange team ???

Reply #55809 | Report this post

wateva  
Years ago

Until we get a few more people running tribunals that don't turn up just wanting the money and wanting to go home ASAP, we will have the standard pointless cycle.

Officals report some one, the tribunal does nothing or almost nothing so the official decides that reporting someone isn't worth it so they just don't bother reporting anyone anymore.

A good example would be the player who got a measly six month supsension for intensionally running through a referee. Especially considering the minimum penalty specified for this type of offence is 5yrs.

So in answer to your question NO there is no point in reporting a player, coach, spectator etc (unless they a referee aswell)because it is just a waste of your time and effort.

Reply #55817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tribunal members don't get paid

Reply #55824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Incorrect... they do get paid just for showing up.

Reply #55828 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

Reporting people requires all parties to attend tribunal in their own time. Do all reorting instances require attendance? Can some penalties be given if both umpires acknowledge the incident and support each other?

As a player, I know how frustrating it can be when you obviously see things differently than the ref(s). As a player, I also see more and more players, coaches and spectators becoming more and more vocal and intimidating towards any ref, junior or senior. I'd like to see the appropriate management implement a head umpire for each stadium on game night (i'm sure they already have one)who is there from start to finish, and continuously walks from court to court. This should enable monitoring and possibly assist the development and training of all umpires by understanding what they encounter and guiding them towards better communication on court with players.

Almost like having a 3rd umpire. They can't make the calls, but if they were there to coach their refs at the half or even time outs, it could eventuate to a more accepted level of umpiring.

I'm sure the AFL has a similar type of senario at AFL matches. correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply #55830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is already a UIC every night if there are games being played. The UIC is not 'meant' to be reffing and only be there for supervising. I put this term in ' because unfortunatly due to the shortage of refs lately, a UIC may not be able to find enough referee's and therefore have to make up for it by having to ref. Although a UIC does everything they can to find enough refs so that they can help the juniors.

Go to a place like Pasadena. Matt's always around the place friday night either talking to umpires in breaks, watching refs, organising refs or sorting out a situation that's occurred. Dan out at M/V does exactly the same but unfortunatly shortage of refs at M/V mean he may have to ref or in the worse case do a solo.

All UIC's are approachable to talk to if you have a problem or even just a chat to refresh your knowledge on rules.

Reply #55831 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

If I know who they are, I have on occasion sat and discussed the game as both player and ref with them and have also expressed any issues or concerns to assist with development of refs, especially the junior refs. I know this is now going away from the initial post, but I feel part of the main resentment towards refs, is in relation to the ability of the ref to handle the criticism from players/coaches/spectators and how they react and respond on to the players etc. Obviously the refs don't want to be nagged or bothered between games, but if you approach them as if they are people, they usually respond accordingly, and who knows, maybe it will work in your favour...

On the other hand, maybe the coaches/spectators need to be sanctioned internally by their relevant club at the request of BASA even for alleged incidents.

Yes, I can be a turd on court just the same as the next guy, but I'm sure if any refs or players know who I am, they will vouch that I am not their biggest enemy and approach them with courtesy at appropriate times.

Just my 2 cents worth. Again...

Reply #55832 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

Just a quick question but what would a player say if when they missed a shot or passed the ball to the wrong team or choked a dunk, the referee then abused them or put them down?

Reply #55836 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

A question back at you Wateva is in what way is an umpire affected if the player passes the ball to the wrong team or chokes a dunk.

In comparison, a player/team/coach are affected when an umpire allows an opposition player to take a players legs out with no call, or allow an otherwise fair game to escalate to the point of a brawl because of the amount of fouls they let go.

I'm not saying that umpires should be abused but good refs know that a bit of back chat/questioning of calls is a part of a game.

Most of the problems with umpires are caused at an administrative level and are not the fault of the individual umpire. Ie rookie umpire thrown in the deep end.

The bad refs (and this is my argument against zero tolerance) will miss a call where a player gets smashed in the face and then dish out a tech when the coach asks why a foul wasn't called when his player is being subbed off for the blood rule!! Extreme example, I know but you get my drift.

Reply #55840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In a game of Football, a player spat in the umpires face and the player was reported.

He received a 20 match ban from the sport Australia wide.

It would be ludicrous to imagine any sporting body allow this to occur! Furthermore it would be ludicrous to think that officials are put in the prediciment of being on the basketball court.. and when asked to report incidents about players/coaches misbehaving that the officials are ignored.

Understand that the officials role is to report the incident and tell the tribunal how the incident took place... the tribunal then decides what occurs from there... but to not hear a report at all - what is with that???

I have heard that you could play basketball here and do some pretty stupid things and never be suspended.

Maybe for the protection of everyone (players included) BASA need to pull their fingers out their bottoms and find a system that works... then there would not be so many problems !!

Reply #55847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

unless it has changed

i have served on tribunals in the past and NEVER been paid

junior and social

Reply #55850 | Report this post

waste of time***  
Years ago

Rabid, yes it was that coach from the black and orange team.

All i ask is for a fair system, a system that if it says one thing, will do it.

i understand that referee's are frustrating, but if a report is made then it MUST be followed up within due course. Not left and forgotten about

Reply #55854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tribunal members do get paid from BASA.

Reply #55865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous #55850, yes I believe they get paid somewhere between $20-30 just to show up... May be wrong on that amount yet I know that tribuneral members now get paid. I believe it changed 3-4 years ago.

Reply #55877 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Less than $20...

Reply #55880 | Report this post

waste of time***  
Years ago

It doesn't matter if they get paid or not, they are on the committee or make themselves available for tribunal's. If a report is made then it should be followed up.

I think that if you went and asked alot of referee's they would the same thing as alot of other people here and agree that there is no use for reporting player/coaches.

No need to have a system that at the end of the day, the people who create the rules will not help to inforce them

Reply #55896 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:09 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754