Jack Toft
Years ago

United v Breakers Apr 28

The NBL is such an accomodating organisation. Poor NZ have been shipwrecked in Australia without even an L&P to share with 4 straws, so what do they do, they put them up in Tassie. If you can't cross the ditch, the next best thing is Bass Straight, it's like a mini-ditch, except it hasn't got a fish/fush line halfway.

So they head across the mini-ditch to John Cain Arena, down a Webster, but hey even when an NZ team is down a brother they still do pretty well. Melbourne lead the series 3-0 but all games have been close. The betting has Melbourne at $5.10 and Breakers at $1.17. Either the Bookies have stuffed up, or the news of the horror mystery bout of gastro in Melbourne is yet to hit the media. If we see CG43 squeezing his butt cheeks together and a mass player exodus during a time out then we'll know for sure.

Breakers are not travelling too badly, but Melbourne at home has Jock Zonfrillo on standby just to rate the dishes. It's hard not to go past a Chicken Biryani with Coriander Mint Raita and Onion Salad. Melbourne to come out on tops tonight.

Topic #48420 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers need this W but Melbourne are cruising.

Should be a competitive game!

Reply #845313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne are the favourites but won't be surprised if the Breakers win this one.

There was talk Tai Webster wanted to play this one but the team doesn’t want him to come back too early, any word if he is playing tonight? WMW has been good in patches but if Tai Webster is back and can play 15-20 minutes it makes the Breakers as stacked as United.

Reply #845316 | Report this post

Kb_24  
Years ago

How many home court advantage of Melbourne United?

Reply #845317 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Love your work JT

Reply #845319 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think NZ might get up for this one and snatch a win.
Breakers by 8.

Reply #845323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't see United slipping here, McCarron to show WMW how the top point guards do it. Delaney could hurt United in the 4 spot, United by three.

Still love your work jack.

Reply #845326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers have struggled with McCarron a bit. But WMW was really good defensively against Adelaide. I think WMW will be keen to show he can back up a good game with another one. It will be interesting to see how he goes as McCarron has good size and strength too.

How Delany and also Iverson go could decide the game. United's weakness is it's interior defence (Or lack thereof!).

Reply #845327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The betting has Melbourne at $5.10 and Breakers at $1.17" Where? I want some of that action.

Reply #845384 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Would like NZ to win but sticking with United.

Good to see Melb finally getting a home game.

Reply #845386 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Why are NZ bothering?

They will get an Also Ran sticker for this season.

Reply #845387 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

So will Adelaide.

Adelaide are trash Lovebroker.

Reply #845389 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Adelaide are trash Lovebroker.

There's a strong argument for that conclusion.

Reply #845392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United will win this. Breakers backing up from Monday and had to travel. United are at home obviously since they barely play away at all now...(must be nice).

Side note - if United don't win the championship this season with the amount they spent and the clear advantages the NBL has given them, something is wrong.

Reply #845424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd seems small... (thought I would get in first)

Reply #845439 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Why has Landale only played 36 seconds? He's not in foul trouble.

Reply #845441 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Knee injury, done for the night.

Reply #845443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's the other commentator along with Jack & Homicide?

Reply #845444 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Oh dear hope Landale is OK for the Olympics.

Reply #845445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Rosen

Reply #845447 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Vickerman keeping us in it with subs.

Reply #845451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rosen to fine, United should be leading by lot more.

Reply #845454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Biggest game of the season- the Abercrombie milestone and they serve up this shit!

Hey Corey webster, grow some balls and take a charge on d!

Reply #845461 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Run an offence you moron

Reply #845464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers look very tired. Can't get anything going offensively and lackadaisical defensively.

There’s two guys that can kill a game in the first quarter: Cotton and Goulding. Goulding did that tonight and not many NBL teams would survive that five minute stretch.

Great game by Lual-Acuil. Trist called him soft. At least Jo can play, Dan.

Is this Weeks swansong minutes before he is released and never seen again?

Reply #845466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Run an offence you moron"

The Breakers are running a simple high on-ball and then pin down into a wing on-ball when the ball is reversed to the weak side. The problem is that WMW can't shoot and it’s mucking up the spacing.

Reply #845469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The betting has Melbourne at $5.10 and Breakers at $1.17" Where? I want some of that action."

A few mistakes creeping in JT.

Reply #845470 | Report this post

Yup  
Years ago

Donta smith played a huge role in the south dragons title under goorj

He came off the bench as instant offence and closer

I'm thinking that’s a version of that is hopsons best role on this team

Reply #845474 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

Good win for United especially with Landale out. Breakers looked very flat which was disappointing. C Webster should be starting, not sure what's going on there. Lual-Acuil continues to dominate, you would think he’ll be starting next season for somewhere. Best big off the bench in the league (someone here commented pre-season that Loe was superior..).

Reply #845488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Embarrassing that the Breakers could not get up for this milestone game, season over now at 8-16. Needed to beat Cairns and win this one (10-14 and it's game on!),

Reply #845490 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

When Landale subbed himself off after 30 seconds and made a bee line for the change rooms, was anybody else wondering whether Jack was spot on the money with his gastro comment?

Especially when Money Making Mitch was subbed off after 2 minutes, too...

Reply #845494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV is already putting an asterisk against this seasons title due to diarrhoea.

Reply #845497 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yeah, damn those pesky Wildcats who are so lucky their players don't succumb to injuries or the runs.

Reply #845498 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

"The Breakers are running a simple high on-ball and then pin down into a wing on-ball when the ball is reversed to the weak side."

I can confirm.

It does my head in. Completely ineffective.

In other matters. I have confirmed I'm not an iverson fan. There are a lot of people who are. My view is his physical skills trap us in a half court game like the above. Sure he sets great screens and rebounds. Getting 20 rebounds is almost required when you are the only one over 6-6 in the team, so yeah good on him. But that is more just a crap team composition from Shamir.

Reply #845505 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

re: "Getting 20 rebounds is almost required when you are the only one over 6-6 in the team,"
ie. apart from Loe, Delany, Trist and Abercrombie. And they can certainly play up-tempo, when required.

In fact, I can only name 4 under 6'6" and the others 'round that anyway.

Reply #845512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It does my head in. Completely ineffective."

It's ineffective because the scout on WMW is just let him shoot. Once Tai Webster returns it will be very effective because both the Webster bros use the on-ball so effectively and are a scoring threat as soon as they come of the screen if you give them any space at all. WMW isn't doing that and last night the Melbourne big would drop and the guard would also drop, which packed the key. The other problem with WMW, and this relates to your point about Iverson, is that he is a good passer but needs a big that can roll and finish above the rim. Pair WMW with, say, Shawn Long and then it's a different ball game. So, I'm a big Iverson fan, but do agree with you somewhat that his lack of vertical affects them in the halfcourt too. If the rumour about Norvelle Pelle ended up being true then this team would also be performing differently because you can see guys like Randolph, WMW and even Delany and Tai Webster earlier in the season want to put the ball up higher but they're not confident that Iverson will get the catch.

Reply #845514 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Well it's good to know if we had Norvelle Pelle it would be effective.

In the meantime...

Reply #845517 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Robt

Iverson got his massive rebound stats when Bob Loe wasn't on the team. Yes you could count David Trist, if you like. It would be the first time this season where he has been counted for anything, but I'll give you that one

Delaney and abercrombie round about 6-6.

Reply #845518 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

There will be a lot of conjecture on Iverson. And I get I'm in a minority and not on the sturdiest of platforms. Some will love him and I respect that.

But my view is he slows the game down. With him the fast break is a slow break. In the half court he has no vertical leap, or lateral movement, and poor hands.

Yes there are some positives, but I'm not a fan.

Reply #845520 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Iverson is a niche player who is useful in some situations against some matchups. It's horses for courses with him.

Last night JLA was too quick for him And from memory last time Landale hit a bunch of threes because Iverson couldn't defend that far from the basket.

However in other games Iverson has been a huge net positive with his rebounding and finishing around the hoop.

Reply #845528 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

United have depth that we can only dream of.
If Mooney played only 36sec and we relied on Jervis we would be f#cked.

Reply #845530 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

But my view is he slows the game down. With him the fast break is a slow break.
If all ten players make it into the frontcourt, how much of a fast break is it?

Reply #845534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumour has it United are trying to sign Finn Delany for next season.... lol typical.

Reply #845557 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Delany is under contract to the Breakers next season.

Reply #845559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ yes. Luckily for breakers.

Reply #845565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Minor injury the Landale knee, will miss Sunday's game.

Reply #845612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Finn is starting to fill that Mika Vukona role, though he can also hit the 3! Could he be better than Mika?

Reply #845614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Finn Delany is starting to put up All NBL numbers. In the past few games, his numbers are better than Cotton.

Reply #845623 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:53 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754